I can agree with most of the earlier reviews about the mixed feelings.
We stayed over New Year and the place was just amazingly beautiful. Although we were according to our travel agency booked in a chalet we ended up in the lodge, which was probably good. The room was huge, light and stylish - which we liked. The bed was comfortable.
We rented some bikes the day we arrived and enjoyed the beautiful area and being in the middle of nowhere.
It was a chilly and misty day and we were freezing so we asked about the Jaccuzzi. One person from the staff told us where to find it but did NOT mention that it was broken. After trying to turn it on for a while, we gave up and asked someone else who informed us the jaccuzzi was not working. So we asked them to put on the sauna for a specific time later that night and went for it... it as about 50 degrees... not really sauna temperature and rather funny for my Finnish fiancee :) We ended up just taking baths...
We had no trouble chosing the menu for the night after we arrived and were not rushed to do so. Dinner service was good, food arrived promptly and was delicious and reasonably priced.
Being very tired from the day we went to sleep early and got up at 6 to go running (great area for this). As we were informed breakfast starts at 8, we were ready just after 8... but noone was to be seen in the breakfast room (ok, it was 1st of January, but noone specified if this should make a difference). We waited for some time until a waitress came and slowly brought in breakfast supplies. It took almost 1.5 hours to get everything. We ordered to sets of eggs, but only got one after a long wait (maybe due to the waitresses lack of English skills?). We waited almost 20 minutes for the second one until we gave up and left - as we still had a far drive that day.
So, if you look for a secluded place in beautiful settings and outdoor activities that you can enjoy as a couple, this is a great location. Bring time and patience though and don't expect too great service. I would not pay for a full rate but we got this in a package deal and for one night, this was a good place... more than 2 nights I would probably not stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fernery Lodge and Chalets situated above a 30m waterfall with breathtaking views of the river gorge is the perfect romantic and peaceful getaway for natural lovers. The luxurious and opulent rooms in the lodge and the private chalets are each tastefully decorated with every effort made to ensure our guests' comfort. Each unit has a unique theme inspired by the magnificent surroundings. Start your day with a hearty breakfast and end off with a wander through the wine cellar where you can select a bottle of your choice before heading up to experience excellent cuisine in our plush diningroom with its special ambiance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Cancelon so you can book your The Fernery Lodge & Chalets reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fernery Lodge And Chalets
- The Fernery Lodge & Chalets Hotel Tsitsikamma National Park
- The Fernery Lodge & Chalets Storms River, Tsitsikamma National Park, South Africa