“Beautiful and cozy.”

Armagh Country Lodge Rafters & Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Storms River
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We had such a lovely time at Armagh Country Lodge! My husband and I stayed in the Candlewood Cottage for the last two nights of our honeymoon. The cottage is very private and we were able to just relax and enjoy the setting. The room and the bathroom is beautifully made up and we even received a beautiful basket with a small gift, chocolates, a bottle of wine and a card from the staff congratulating us on our marriage. The owners, Johan and Marion, are very warm people and all the staff are friendly and very helpful. Lastly, the meals are just divine!! "Lekker" South African cuisine, just the thing before sneaking back to the cottage and the cozy fireplace.

Room Tip: If you want more privacy, definitely opt for the Candlewood Cottage.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 August 2011

Very nearby all adventurous places in Storms River Village, Canopy Tour was very nice, flying through the trees! We arrived on a Friday, only buffet in the restaurant with home made food. Very nice but not for our 3 children (6, 8 and 14). We paid a lot, ate very little in comparisen. Accomodation was very nice, with fireplace. Beds were ok. Breakfast was ok. We will book at another place next time!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2011

The staff are happy and friendly. Management and hosts ensure that your stay is enjoyable and assist where possible for various activities available in the area, as well as the rest of your trip.

The food in "Rafters" has to be the best in the Tsitsikamma area. Extensive wine list personally selected by the owners - to suit all pockets :-)

Rooms are furnished lovingly, with luxurious linen and wonderful soft fluffy towels after a piping hot shower.
Scenic and serene! Thank you, thank you! Pity we could not linger................................

Room Tip: Lovely linen and very comfortable beds, piping hot water and spotless bathroom
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2011

We stayed two nights at the Armagh during the off-season so it was very quiet. We stayed in the Essenhout room which was easily the best room there. It was spacious, most private, and had a giant bed with really comfortable bedding. It had a stand alone bathtub in the room with candles and light dimmers that my boyfriend and I took advantage of after a long day of mountain biking. Very romantic. The staff was just the nicest people around. The manager even told us to call her if we had any troubles on our mountain biking route! The in-house spa employee kept us company and was very open to chatting. We really felt so comfortable and welcomed here. It truly felt like a home away from home. The restaurant was great - breakfast was included and was waiting for us when we came in in the morning. You could basically order anything you wanted and the incredibly nice chef would make it for you. We ate definitely more than one person's worth and they were just happy to serve us.

Definitely stay here if this is a stop along your route!!! It honestly was an incredible stay and we stayed at many places throughout South Africa and the Garden Route and in our opinion, none of the other lodges/hotels in the area even come close to the Armagh.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2011

My husband and I booked the Keurboom Room for three nights. Up to the second night everything was dreamy - the room was lovely and big, the service was friendly and professional, the food was fantastic and the gift basket for our anniversary very much appreciated. The spa treatments were absolutely heaven, and our car was really grateful for the wash!

But on the second night, the room upstairs (the Africa Loft) was occupied. I really wish I'd read Riskadvisor from Kent's review about how thin the ceiling is - we could hear everything. Not just their conversation and footsteps, which despite the guests' efforts at tiptoeing, were thunderous. But we could also hear EVERYTHING they did in the bathroom. Not very romantic. And the next morning, their alarm woke me up before my own could.

The real disappointment was the reaction of the owner (Johan). The problem was not because of a clear lack of adequate soundproofing, but rather blamed on the guests upstairs ("You know, these 'creative film types'", were his exact words). He assured us that he would "speak to them" and ask them to be more considerate. There is apparently even a sign in the room asking people to be mindful of those downstairs. "99.9% of our guests go to bed by 10.30 and only get up at 8", he explained.

Here's the thing. First of all, I want a 100% guarantee of a good night's sleep, not a 99.9%. Secondly, at a four-star establishment I don't care if the upstairs guests pace their rooms at 3 o'clock or do ballet at 4 in the morning. Such a lack of soundproofing is what I've come to expect from cheap-cheap rooms and backpackers lodges, not one of the top guesthouses in the area. We were quite taken aback by the lack of sympathy and the refusal to take any responsibility - it was as if, once we've complained, we were dismissed. So we decided to go elsewhere for the third night.

To their credit, I suppose, they didn't insist on the full amount for the third, cancelled night (as per their cancellation policy). After making a bit of a fuss my husband just had to pay half the amount. A waste, but at least we had a wonderful night (and the best sleep ever) at the Tsitsikamma National Park, where the sound of the sea drowned out any potential noise from the neighbours!

I can only recommend the Armagh to people who will stay in a cottage, or who can sleep through a Highveld thunderstorm or volcano eruption. Then you might have the best weekend ever. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Make sure there are no rooms above yours
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CrnB
EuniceB, Owner at Armagh Country Lodge Rafters & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2011

I am sorry that these dear people had this problem at The Armagh. As my husband did explain this was most unusual. We have done everything we can to make that specific Loft Room above the Keurboom as sound proof as possible. it has layers of special thick underlay and two layers of really good wool carpet and a suspended type ceiling!
Being in the heart of the country it is very difficult to otherwise soften noise levels as we do not have the surrounding white noise of the cities.. one will have seen with the other reviews that the Keurboom is a most popular room despite the fact that most often it does have people above; I am also sorry that the wife of this couple says that there was a refusal to take responsibility. I indeed offered my sincere apologies to her husband (she was not there) fixed to give him 50% off the last night, would have accommodated them instantly elsewhere in the Guest House if there had been any possibility of this. Indeed I offered them a FREE return to our Candlewood Cottage (totally set in its own gardens). I was indeed very surpised to read all this shortly afterwards and particularly perturbed that she would only recommend The Armagh to those who can sleep through " a Highveld Thunderstorm or volcanic eruption" That is indeed extreme to say the least, as footsteps and ablutions in a room above can not have that decibel level by any means. Sadly, nowhere in the world can one be offered 100% guarantee of sleep and lastly YES! my husband is right the normal profile of person at the Armagh hikes, involves themselves in loads of activities and adventures, dines on our lovely food by a log fire, and repairs to bed replete and healthily tired by 10h30 at the very latest. We are so regretful that there are the rare exceptions and that this lovely couple had to endure one such night.

Reviewed 31 March 2011

I loved every moment at the Armagh. The atmosphere is fresh and friendly. Staff always has a smile. The food is fantastic. The buffet breakfast, with fresh fruit, colorful flower decoration, crunchy bacon, cream mushrooms, you just cannot stop your mouth watering and there is a variety of food up for offer. If you sit outside just before the sun set, you can see it slow disappearing behind the Tsitsikamma mountain and leaving a beautiful mixed color of red, yellow and orange. Reading a book by the pool side is a good way of spending a day or two and you can have nice dip in the pool now and again just to cool off, and the feel the summer sun on your skin. The Armagh has as stunning garden with natural plant growth famous in the area named “Fynbos”. Facility in the rooms are excellent, most comfortable bed I have slept in. And if you need anything, it is just a step or a ring away and a staff member is happy to assist. It is a good idea to pamper yourself and maybe your partner, at the beauty Spa for a massage or two or three…. This adds more tranquility to your holiday. I will definitely recommend The Armagh and is already planning my trip there for next year.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2011

The location, the tranquility, the warmth of the hospitality, I could go on. Stayed here 15 years ago, now better than ever. Back again in one year next time !

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
#5 of 12 in Storms River
The Fernery Lodge & Chalets
The Fernery Lodge & Chalets
#1 of 12 in Storms River

Been to Armagh Country Lodge Rafters & Spa? Share your experiences!