“Cold”

Ranked #1 of 1 Winchfield B&B and Inns
Hampshire
“Cold”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I visited this location recently with colleagues.

It was during the recent cold snap. I was in an upstairs room. The room was spacious. The shower was lovely. The bed was very comfy.

I am quite insensitive to the cold. Unfortunately the room was bitterly cold. I ended up in bed at about 9.30 because it was the only warm place I could find.

Food was quite good. I had a beef chilli which was pleasant. Breakfast was not (apparently) part of the deal when the booking was originally made. As such it was an unpleasant surprise in the morning. The cooked breakfast was good and quite quick but it didn't make up for the cold !

But for the cold my room was great. However, I cannot give the room 5 because it was SO cold !

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Famsol67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Perth
Reviewed 23 January 2013

At £85 not including breakfast I would have expected a bit more comfort and space. Spending most of my week on the road, I tend to use larger chains but from time to time I have a go with a small independent, unfortunately, I am quite often disappointed and this was one of those occasions.

The room was Chilly and the very small shower room was without any heating at all, relying on leached warmth from the bedroom which itself was struggling anyway. The room was clean and bed reasonably comfortable.

Being close to the Station, you can hear a lot of the trains zapping past and actually feel the faint vibration of the rolling stock through the building, even transmitting into the bed.

On the upside, the food both for breakfast and evening meal was fine. The resident Cat was cute too...

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Manxkippa
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed here after a day out in Windsor and this was on the way home. Rooms are very clean and nicely appointed although on the small side, breakfast was fine. All going well until we went down for dinner.The food ordered by myself and husband was just ok although the mushroom soup was very thin and milky and tasted of nothing, my daughter who has been a vegetarian for 8 years (she is now 22) ordered the mushroom risotto. What arrived for her looked like long grain rice sitting in a not very nice tasting stock with 5 slices of mushroom in it. My daughter tried a little but couldn't eat it, we told the staff to let the kitchen know that we didn't think this was a risotto as it looked as if the wrong rice had been used. The next thing we knew a staff member appeared at our table brandishing a packet of rice and waved this in front of us - bad form, bad form. My daughter was so upset she left the table and returned to her room. Our whole stay was spoilt by this incident.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris B
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I can highly recommend this lovely Inn. The landlady is fantastic and makes you feel very welcome. The rooms and bar are inviting and are kept immaculate.

What a lovely place, it is great!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed here after a last minute change of plans, and have to say, I'm glad I did! The place had a lovely feel to it, the staff were so friendly and inviting, I could have made it my home. Nothing was too much trouble (including my 'tweaked' menu request). The staff here constantly rally round after you making sure you are content, i felt like royalty! the bed was big and extremely comfortable. The sheets and bedding were immaculate (a big deal to me), as was everything else throughout the place. Toilets both in the bar and my room were so clean you could eat your dinner off them! The food was just delicious, piping hot, and plenty of it! The Landlady never seemed to stop, but that didnt prevent her giving her time to the customers. An absolute diamond.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I used to use an Inn at nearby Heckfield but several management changes resulted in a drop in standards and my decision to search for an alternative. Located within a couple of minutes walk from Winchfield railway station and with a large car park, The Winchfield Inn was the perfect location for clients and colleagues travelling by road or rail providing all else was right. Inside, myself and a colleague received a warm welcome from Lyn and Pat Rooney, Landlady and landlord. Lyn explained everything and showed us around, the whole place had a real 'Old World' homely feel. We stopped and had a superb lunch, the food was excellent and great service in the restaurant area. What a gem I commented to my colleague as we said our goodbyes. That was six years ago and we make virtually monthly lunch meeting visits with a group of colleagues who have regularly praised me for my choice of venue. Pat, Lyn and staff, a BIG thank you and keep up the good work.

Room Tip: All rooms are of a good standard but light sleepers might prefer a room away from the railway end of...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
loopylune
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I have, with a colleague stayed three nights at the Winchfield and I can truly comment this was home from home.
We arrived a little early on day one its quite a late check in of 5:00pm we arrived at 4:00pm we were greeted with a smile by the staff who had our reservations all confirmed and we were expected, we were duly shown to our rooms which although not 5 star were suitable for our stay.
The whole place was spotlessly clean, the guys on the tv show three in a bed would not find any dust here!!
The rooms featured the following.....
A very comfortable double bed flat screen tv tea and coffee facilities with bikkies.
Plenty of hanging space and a shower room with loo, we needed no more.
The bar in the evening was busy and banter ensued regarding the football that was "quietly" on the large screen TV it was quiet enough to hear the commentary but not too loud that conversations were stunted, perfect volume.
There were two real ales on tap both perfectly conditioned and the correct temperature, served with a smile by the various bar staff we met during the week.
We decided to eat here on our first night, the food is from a standard menu with specials on the blackboard. The food was that good we decided we would dine here all three nights of our stay.
Everything is cooked fresh, my three generous portion mains were an 8oz sirloin, fish and chips, and pork loin, not only was the food perfectly cooked, presented, and hot, it was at a very reasonable cost.
Now the puddings, all home made and cooked by our host.........hmmm school dinners.
Remember them from the 70's ?
Spotted Dick with a gallon of custard, and Bread and Butter pud with another gallon, these were the two I tried, its time the Hairy Bikers called here they would be "over the moon".
The food is not gourmet, but it is good honest fare presented cooked and served well.
Portions again on the puds were generous.
I cannot recommend this place highly enough, if travelling by train you can alight at the Winchfield station and walk 30 yards and you are there, a great place to stay if you wish to see both countryside and "the smoke" of London.
Try it, you will love the people, the place, the beer, (they had a great selection of wine also) the food and the ambiance, a good English pub.
Finally I must apologise to the bar staff for my colleage who spilled a half of beer over the bar, firstly its a waste, and secondly they ahd to pull out all the glasses from under the bar and wash and sterilize the shelves, thats how spotlessly clean this pub is kept.

Room Tip: The rail track is close by, but I was on the ground floor and could not hear the trains, my colleagu...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winchfield
Raven Hotel
#6 of 7 in Hook
Tylney Hall
Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick

Been to Winchfield Inn? Share your experiences!