Winchfield Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Winchfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Winchfield and would happily stay there again. I had two pints of very nice Doom bar ale, a nice meal, very good nights sleep and a hearty breakfast in the morning. I know I have said it before, but why stay in a travel lodge box, when you can stay in a nice Country pub, for the same or even less money. This location in particular would be great if you wanted to visit London, as the station is almost opposite the door. Some train noise and some traffic noise from the M3, but nothing that could remotely take away the relaxation of sitting in the beer garden and letting the longs days mileage seem like nothing. Would I stay there again? in a heartbeat I would.. Excellent

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PTservices

Reviewed 8 June 2013

Have been a regular visitor to the Winchfield Inn for several years now both as an irregular customer visiting on average every five weeks for an evening drink with pals.
The main purpose of this, my second review of the venue is to offer great praise to Lyn the landlady for her cooking skills. I also run a club for retirees from my old company and have for the last five years been organising a monthly lunch that is attended of a group of between eight and fifteen colleagues. There is a great lunch menue with lots of firm pub favourites and a 'Specials' board to order from. Nothing is too much trouble for Lyn who ensures that all of the meals, which are excellent, are served piping hot at the table all at the same time no matter how many different dishes were ordered and great value.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bob L
Reviewed 18 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Winchfield Inn for two nights. we had never stayed at an Inn before and I was a bit unsure about it. Yet, I would not mind doing it again.Rooms were very clean and the bed was very comty, hospitality was very good too

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LoraCar
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My family and I stayed at the Winchfield Inn for one night, following a day's bike ride along the Basingstoke Canal. We could not have wished for better hospitality (I would in fact rate it as 'top-notch'). We were greeted right away and offered safe storage for our bikes, as promised when we booked. Although we had not booked a table (and only given a vague ETA at the Inn), our hosts had set one aside for us for the evening, just in case, which we appreciated. Our rooms were fresh and clean, and simply but nicely decorated. We found the beds beautifully made up (lovely linen) and really comfortable. Our shower room was small but perfectly adequate. The complimentary refreshment tray was well stocked. The evening menu at the Inn offers plenty of choices... There is really nothing to grumble about... We would definitely stay at the Winchfield again - and recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I visited this location recently with colleagues.

It was during the recent cold snap. I was in an upstairs room. The room was spacious. The shower was lovely. The bed was very comfy.

I am quite insensitive to the cold. Unfortunately the room was bitterly cold. I ended up in bed at about 9.30 because it was the only warm place I could find.

Food was quite good. I had a beef chilli which was pleasant. Breakfast was not (apparently) part of the deal when the booking was originally made. As such it was an unpleasant surprise in the morning. The cooked breakfast was good and quite quick but it didn't make up for the cold !

But for the cold my room was great. However, I cannot give the room 5 because it was SO cold !

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Famsol67
Reviewed 23 January 2013

At £85 not including breakfast I would have expected a bit more comfort and space. Spending most of my week on the road, I tend to use larger chains but from time to time I have a go with a small independent, unfortunately, I am quite often disappointed and this was one of those occasions.

The room was Chilly and the very small shower room was without any heating at all, relying on leached warmth from the bedroom which itself was struggling anyway. The room was clean and bed reasonably comfortable.

Being close to the Station, you can hear a lot of the trains zapping past and actually feel the faint vibration of the rolling stock through the building, even transmitting into the bed.

On the upside, the food both for breakfast and evening meal was fine. The resident Cat was cute too...

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Manxkippa
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed here after a day out in Windsor and this was on the way home. Rooms are very clean and nicely appointed although on the small side, breakfast was fine. All going well until we went down for dinner.The food ordered by myself and husband was just ok although the mushroom soup was very thin and milky and tasted of nothing, my daughter who has been a vegetarian for 8 years (she is now 22) ordered the mushroom risotto. What arrived for her looked like long grain rice sitting in a not very nice tasting stock with 5 slices of mushroom in it. My daughter tried a little but couldn't eat it, we told the staff to let the kitchen know that we didn't think this was a risotto as it looked as if the wrong rice had been used. The next thing we knew a staff member appeared at our table brandishing a packet of rice and waved this in front of us - bad form, bad form. My daughter was so upset she left the table and returned to her room. Our whole stay was spoilt by this incident.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris B

Been to Winchfield Inn? Share your experiences!