“Good place when you can't sit still”
Review of Le Village du Lac

Le Village du Lac
Antwerp, Belgium
“Good place when you can't sit still”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We had a mobile home with 2 bedrooms, brand new as the previous one recently burned out :-( Everything you need is present and it was a very clean and modern house, nice!
We had a house by the lake, which during summer could smell a little. But the ducks came to great our 8 month old baby every morning so that was nice :-)
The restaurant is not too expensive (for once and a while) but we did not like the food!
Unseasoned beef, way to salty salmon, long waiting ...
Overall unfriendly staff at the camping, not willing to help out anyone who needs them. Also communal bathrooms and showers are very dirty! So happy we had our own shower and toilet.
The pool area is clean, not too busy and nice to swim in.
We were out almost every day, which is good cuz not too much to do on the camping but great location to start your daily trips to the city, lakes, beach, vineyards...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sylvie m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bordeaux
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed 3 nights before cycling off on the canals, in a cabin. Clean, comfortable, modern and well-equipped. Beautiful campsite, great for kids with soccer, swimming pool, table tennis, volleyball, etc. Staff were friendly and very helpful. We will be back.
Kam + Jeff

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Djefa
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2013

On paper this sounds like an ideal campsite. Close to a beautiful city, on a public transport route, just off the ring road etc etc.
The reality is very different. We paid in advance online for a week. Boy was I sorry?
The pitches have almost no grass on them whatsoever, (I know that it's easier said than done in the heat, but other campsites manage it) and are very badly marked.
The toilet block is unisex with the urinals in full view. There was no toilet paper in most of the stalls. The showers varied from full-blast scalding hot to a freezing cold dribble depending on which one you got.
The shop was a complete let down, all it seemed to have was beer and ice cream. They didn't have any cold drinks, dairy produce, fruit, ice etc. and if you wanted bread you had to order it the night before.
The restaurant was a very la-di-da foie-gras affair. There was only a set menu, no a-la carte option, no real takeaway option. I was told they did takeaway pizzas but when I went to order them I was told I could only have one! How am I going feed a family of 4 with one pizza? There was no other restaurants or cafes within walking distance and as our van is quite large, it's easier said than done to just nip down the road for something!
The little swimming pool was nice although there was absolutely no shade, but it was the one positive of the whole place.
We attempted to get the bus into the city one day, only to find out that there was works on that bus route so we would have to transfer to a different bus, then get the tram the rest of the way. I know this is not the Campsites problem but it was simply one more negative experience.
The ponds are home to large families of ducks, which is lovely. At dusk the ponds are inhabited by a huge number of very vocal frogs! I couldn't believe the noise the first time I heard it. The main problem with having so many stagnant ponds is the amount of mosquitoes. Even when we had the lotions, sprays etc on and the candles lit there were still millions of them. The last straw for us was when we woke up one morning to find the van had been invaded by an army of ants. I'm not usually squeamish but when I found literally hundreds and hundreds of them all over the cooker, the sink, the door, I lost it. As I've said already the shop was useless and didn't have any ant spray. Of course this happened on a Sunday when all the real shops are shut so we were forced to think on our feet. I have a little car-vac which we used to vacuum them up which took us nearly 2 hours before we got them all. As soon as we got the last of them, we packed up the van and left, never to return. I had paid for 2 more days but I just wanted to get as far away from the place as I could.
This campsite could be wonderful, it just needs a bit of joined up thinking. Campers are usually easy to please, we just need clean sanitary facilities, something to do during the day, somewhere pleasant to chill out in the evening with a nice simple meal and drink of your choice. With the addition of a basic menu with proper takeaway facilities and a bar area this place could be great.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Mary D

Travellers are raving about these Bruges hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Not on the online tin anyway, but basically an OK site. That picture they have of a large swimming pool? It’s actually about half the size in reality – and that’s when it isn’t shut as it was on one of the hottest days of the year during my brief 4 night stay, for “raisons de securite” – although what the safety issue actually was they wouldn’t say.

If you’re heading here for the lakes you may wish to bear in mind that they are not the clear blue water on the online images, but in fact are two quite large and very brown stagnant ponds. Given the very hot climate you couldn’t hope for a better mosquito breeding ground, which is unfortunate since most of the expensive mobile homes are clustered around them, which makes for an interesting evening on the verandah.

I was in a tent for my stay. On the plus side you can basically take your pick of tent spots, but on the downside they are all on the shores of Lakes Mosquito I, II or III. Waiting for the bus at the conveniently sited stop just outside the campsite I met a group of young German inter-railers who had been told they were not allowed to pitch in the shade, though. Which seemed a bit harsh.

Ah yes, the bus stop. There it is, called “Camping International” after the camp site. And on their website they talk duly of the “5 minutes from Bordeaux” that they claim they are. The problem with that claim is that it is completely untrue. You actually have to ring the bus company to request the bus otherwise the one per hour service doesn’t arrive at all. Fortunately I speak French but if you don’t…

On your way back to the site you won’t be able to get a bus back to that site stop anyway – you’ll need to catch the number 14 from Les Aubiers which stops about 20 minutes walk away. The walk is down a derelict and unused dual carriageway on the side of a used one, next to an abandoned car park. It's a long way in 35 degree heat, and at the end of my last trek I was looking forward to a dip in the pool.

But, as you know, it was closed. For “reasons of safety”.

On the whole this site is fine if you’re using it for a stop over or somewhere convenient, but you’d join the throng of very disappointed people I met who’d opted to make it their main holiday destination. Little things would do a lot to improve the site which claims it is 4 stars. The only thing 4 stars about it are the prices of the restaurant – no pizzeria or café here; only a full scale haute cuisine affair which sets you back about €30 a pop.

So … a café, somewhere for breakfast, a clean lake or two and a working pool –and I’d say 4 stars were well deserved. At the moment it scrapes a 3 star in my book – and the advertising on their website is, well, very flattering.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank LondonRunner186338
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We visited here a couple of weeks ago.... Although we had bad weather which didn't help but the camp site had litter everywhere.... There was dog poo everywhere.... We have a dog ourselves and always like to keep it clean.... The electricity box looked dodgy and on our last night I think there was a wedding in the restaurant of which music went on until 4 am. We are a young family travelling and are quite open to most things and experiences but this site wasn't pleasant compared to the others which we have been to while travelling around France... As we are in a motorhome so we got a taxi to Bordeaux which was €25 each way although there is a cheap bus service but it didn't fit in with our timings and children. Bordeaux is close and lovely and the staff in the site were helpful as we had had a car accident on the way there. Just disappointed with the other clients on the site and the up keep of the site.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bekesguest
Aberdeen
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This is a very popular site on the outskirts of Bordeaux. There is a shop and it is easy to get to the centre of Bordeaux using a bus and tram.
There is a relatively expensive restaurant on site (30 euros for a meal) but no informal cafe.
I stayed for two days of heavy rain. The washrooms were very muddy and were not given extra cleaning to sort this. Motorhome parking was disorganised.
This is a good base if you are travelling in the area but is not much fun if you are trapped on the site by the weather.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We stayed 3 nights in a motorhome. Access to Bordeaux was difficult as buses do not run regularly. The staff are not interested in your needs and we got given lots of wrong information from them. We were told by staff that we should go to the wine expo up the road. We walked there only to be told it was not open to the public. We asked the staff to book a bus for us to go to Bordeaux to meet up with a wine tour. After being assured by staff twice that the bus was booked and after waiting an hour by the roadside for it we gave up and rang a taxi which cost us E26 to town and almost missed our tour.
Also got home later to find another motorhome squashed on to our pitch and had to get them to move. They said staff had told them to park anywhere.
Quite a nice site but reception staff make it very ordinary.

Room Tip: Book ahead to get a pitch in the reserved section which is quieter and shady