“The staff made it better”

Solway Holiday Village
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Good heavens this site must be the worst site I have ever visited all credit to the staff who made it bearable. Who ever owns this site should be very thankful to the best staff ever, I cant be bothered moaning as people have to make their own minds up but here is a list of faults we had:
-No hot water, had to move
-dog poo in the sand pit, watched a lady let her dog poo on the grass verge, she was from the private area through the bollards, asked her to remove it but had 2 fingers thrust at me!
- pool shut for lunch 1pm - 2pm whats that about!! do they need the staff else where???
- after a long day pool closed at 5pm!! Rubbish!!
-cafe only open morning and evening
-shop poor
you make your own mind up but this site badly needs updating, however I know of peoples resilience in that we make the best of a bad thing!!

Room Tip: My opinion only but if we keep giving this company money to stay in dreadful sites then we only have...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Hagans L, Public Relations Manager at Solway Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Thank you for your kind comments about our staff - we are sorry that your whole experience wasn't up to your expectations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We just got back from a Mon to Friday trip and as with others was very cautious after reading reviews. When we arrived was very pleased with caravan, it was immaculate, the housekeeping staff were very good. We had to move as our boiler broke and the housekeeping staff were very helpful bringing over items we'd forgotten. I'd also like to say how good the morning shift receptionists were. Very helpful and friendly.

However the facilities are in desperate need of updating and better management. The swimming pool is only open 9-5 and closes for lunch 1-2. You have to be out of the pool 15 mins before closing. The staff literally stand and watch the clock counting down till closing time. It meant if we went out for the day we were not able to use the pool in the evenings.

There is a soft play area for kids but when I asked about it I was told had to leave a £5 deposit and was given the door key to let ourselves in. This was a nightmare as lots of other people wanted to come in with their kids and I was expected to throw them out when I wanted to leave or get someone to give me £5 and then they take the key. You are also expected to stop kids coming in without parents. This is really awkward and puts you in an awkward position to throw unaccompanied kids out of the play area. This really needs to be managed by the staff not the paying customers. The soft play area is also in need of basic repairs, the covering is coming away and exposing wood and nails underneath, it also desperately needs cleaning. Most of these places really should have some sort of cleaning on a daily basis but it didn't look like it had been cleaned for a long time (we found a ball in the ball pit covered in chewing gum and hair).

The outdoor park is a real mess, it's broken, there is the remains of a zip wire, dent and battered slides, No swings (to the disappointment of my 2 year old) and everything looks rusted and beyond tired. Outside this park is a sandpit, which is literally a hole dug in the grass with a bit of sand put in, no effort put into it at all and to make matters worse people have been letting their dogs poo in it and my little girl dug up some of it. This is a major health and safety issue, why this area isn't fenced in I do not know. Unfortunately the dog poo issue wasn't confined to this area, people were not picking up after their dogs (I have dogs myself so this is not about me not liking them!) there were no dog poo bins around the park and there didn't appear to be any effort pit in too reminding people they have to pick up after their dogs. It was disgusting to walk down the steps of our caravan into a big turd!!

The location is good, although we didn't find anything to do in Silloth itself and the part of coastline within walking distance of the park is unusable as a beach for kids to play on. However we were pleased with the caravan and cleanliness of it hence the 3, I would not book again with this company as I feel the management really need to put more effort into the park if they expect people to spend the amount of money they do on the park.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback - we have noted your concerns and will take the relevant action to resolve - Thanks for staying at Solway Holiday Village

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked the buttermere lodge with hot tub for a weekend away with the kids, to see family who live in the area.
We booked this place for the hot tub and the facilities, we have four kids, two with autism so this place seemed to have something for all of them . We arrived just after four o'clock and were given the keys to lodge 60!! It certainly wasn't a lodge more like a shack! And the sigh on the door said buttermere chalet!! False advertising I think !!!
First of all we couldn't get the door open, because the lock was stuck, the when we did get in the small hit us like a truck! Not only did the 'chalet' stink but it was tired run down and falling apart! The Carpet was disgusting. (No way was my child crawling about on that) the dining table was scratches, marked and falling apart. The oven had grease down the door and had not been cleaned, the kitchen units were warped and falling apart, the whole place needed decorated. Curtains falling off the rail, bedding ripped, bunk beds that look like they have seen much better days! And the mirror in the kids room had a crack from top to bottom! Don't even get me started on the bathroom!!!
When you look at the pictures on the web site the garden area with hot tub looks great in reality it is about eight foot by eight foot with a hot tub and table squashed in so no room for the kids to move around. Infact it's so tight the table can't get pulled out for people to sit at! The hot tub hadn't been cleaned when we arrived.. After speaking to the reception staff( whom I have to say we're lovely) we were shown 3 other "chalets" and a caravan. The other chalets were just as bad as the first and in one the hot tub was disgusting and smelt really really bad! So no chance of the kids going in ! Eventually we gave up got our money back. ( £483 for a weekend, so not cheap! ) and left to find somewhere else ( by this time it's seven o'clock at night and we have four unhappy children!!
Shame really because this park has lots of good activities etc for the kids but its tired, run down and in the need of a good make over. Even the main areas such as the bar look likes it hasn't been touched for about twenty years!................

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Gailmo1
Hagans L, Public Relations Manager at Solway Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

We are sorry that we have failed to meet your expectations - we do have many thousands of customers who stay with us every year many time after time - however on this occasion we have let you down - we have noted your comments and will take the appropriate steps to rectify.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I also felt compelled to write a review after seeing the very negative ones on here prior to our stay but they were wrong. We had a fantastic time and it is perfect for children, we have three aged 6,7 and 8 and a baby and they loved it all. The farm is a fantastic asset to the resort and the kids entertainment was brilliant. The site could do with some updating and a lick of paint but that did not affect our holiday in any way. The only negative I have is that the evenings entertainment is upstairs so prams/buggies have to be carried up. Already discussing booking for next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Orlando caravan which was one of the best caravans I have stayed in, everything you n...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Hagans L, Public Relations Manager at Solway Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you for your kind comments.
All of the team at Solway Holiday Village look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I don't normally write reviews but felt compelled to after reading some scathing ones before going to this resort! We just had a fantastic week, the resort has plenty to do and is based on the beautiful solway coast at silloth with plenty to do nearby! The staff were all very friendly and the nights entertainment was good!! We stayed in a grasmere chalet which was clean and spacious (ignore the off putting photos of the black chalets as they have been updated)!!! The wife and kids loved it and would definitely go again!!! Only next time i would get the hot tub (my mistake when booking)!! My wife wanted to cancel before going after reading some of the comments people had placed but now she is so glad we didn't cancel!! Good value family resort in a picturesque area!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Elizabeth H
Hagans L, Front Office Manager at Solway Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you for your response and we are delighted that you and your family had a really great time, We look forward to seeing you in the future
Thanks
Katie

Reviewed 3 August 2013

We are just back from our fourth visit and my grand-daughters are already insisting we will go back again next year. I accept that the facilities are more basic than in some other venues however for value for money Solway Village takes a bit of beating.

There are very good kid's clubs during the day and the evening entertainment is definitely geared towards younger children not teenagers or adults. My grand-daughters are aged 10 & 9 and I would guess that in a couple of years they may have outgrown this type of entertainment.

All being well we are looking forward to visit number 5 next year.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your great feedback, we all look forward to seeing you on your fifth visit !!!

Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Went here a few years back with my husband & kids. 1st impressions shocking as site didnt look like pics on website BUT we had a fantastic time my kids loved it we have been to spain etc but my childreb always ask to come back to solway holiday village which we will soon we live in northern ireland
Night entertainment- fantastic for kids
Staff- very friendly couldnt do enough to help
mini golf
park
train rides round park
great swimming pool
kids clubs- fantastic
day entertainment- fantastic
caravan very standard but clean
shop on site
small dated inside play area
lovly petting farm
bar was good craic
fastfood nice
restaurant very nice
overall we had a brill holiday
thank you solway holiday village for the special memories for my wee family xx

• Stayed: September 2012

We are glad you all had a great time, and will endeavour to get 5 stars next time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Silloth
Golf Hotel
#1 of 1 in Greystoke
Green View Guest House
Green View Guest House
#1 of 3 in Silloth

Been to Solway Holiday Village? Share your experiences!