The advertising hoardings as you enter the park all shout about luxury chalets, but the truth is, they are more reminiscent of the one`s Billy Butlin used 50 odd years ago. In fact, a lot of the decor probably came from the same period. So definitely a case of misrepresentation here! Not only that but the condition of the bedding, in particular, was shocking and the general cleanliness of the place left a heck of a lot to be desired. When I asked to upgrade I was told that there was nothing better than the Coniston Plus which we were already in. I would have turned round and gone home but did not want to upset my young granddaughter who we had brought away for a few days. So we put up with it and smiled.
The general condition of the place is very poor and in need of a major refurbishment and clean up, or better still, knock it down and start again. The children`s playground looks very tired indeed and the pool hardly big enough for the size of the site. I went once and had to wait for people to come out before we could go in.
There`s also very little to do in Silloth but fortunately the Lakes are not too far away, about an hours drive or so to the main centres, so escape is possible. I didn`t spot any guards either!
For the price that we paid, £459 for 4 nights, we could have found a far superior hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Price Range: £-££ Visit England Rating: 3 stars Types of accommodation: Apartments, Camping, Chalets, Lodges and Caravan Holiday Homes Situated in one of the most beautiful corners of England Lake District, Solway Holiday Village offers you the perfect setting for your family holiday, and is ideally situated for exploring the Northern Lakes,Gretna Green, Carlisle and Hadrian's Wall. There is something for everyone, with the emphasis on family fun. There are good facilities, including a fabulous heated indoor pool, entertainment complex, all-weather sports facilities and beautiful parkland covering over 130 acres and only 100m from the sea. The nearby Victorian seaside town of Silloth is within walking distance of the park and Silloth Championship Golf Course . ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Solway Holiday Village Hotel Silloth
- Solway Holiday Village Wigton
- Solway Holiday Village Hotel Wigton
- Solway Holiday Village Silloth, Cumbria