“no better than a garden shed” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Solway Holiday Village

Solway Holiday Village
Chorley, United Kingdom
“no better than a garden shed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

booked for a four day break. when we arrived site was dreary the shalet was no bigger than a garden shed. was poorly equiqed and smelled.
we have stayed in lots of other shalets and never been so disapointed.

we had booked through hoseasons and theny very kindly on contacted them moved us to another site or me would just have come home that night

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

We booked this short break as a family get together. It was OK, but basic. If u are looking for a complete break, where u can sit, have a wander and a relax then go for it. Despite it being a family park if uve got kids that need amusing 24-7 then it's not for u! We had lovely weather but it would've miserable if was a rainy week. Park is in need of an upgrade, pool is small, entertainment is dependant on participants out of main school hols, staff are contrary "where's yer pass" was common term despite the park being in the middle of nowhere so no chance of infiltrators! Play park is tired and no swings! Silloth us a poor version of St Anne's-despite not being the holiday park's problem it could be a little gold mine if the park and town worked 2gether to win visitors. Chalet's are certainly not travel lodge it was basic but clean, mattresses hard, utensils basic but I managed to cook a meal for 10 so not impossible. Tips- b prepared for camping without the canvas, take basic supplies- condiments, bread, tea and coffee n the like as shop is a good 5 mins drive away probably 20 mins walking there and back-so no Asda on your doorstep! Take a good book! But most of all except it for what it is- a poor man's Haven or Butlins!

• Stayed May 2014
worcestershire, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here at Easter week with my two children age 9 and 6. We booked through the daily mail and upgraded to a 3 bed lodge with hot tub for a week.
We choose this area because we like to go walking and cycling and this seemed an ideal base to do so. after a days walking i like to come home, go for a swim, cook a meal, have a shower and watch tv. this was not always possible here.
First disappointment was we had a 2 bed not a 3 bed which we had paid for, yet there was no explanation for this. Secondly, when I went to cook a meal on our first evening I was surprised to find only four cups, plates and bowls , 3 saucepans and a frying pan. There was no baking trays or extra plates etc, so nothing to cook or serve food onto, we ended up cooking food on to two big plates and my husband and I eating off side plates, how can this be advertised as self catering when the equipment is not provided to do so???? The pillows were thin and when we went to reception to ask for more it was closed at 6, and the bar staff couldn't help us. However the following morning they did rectify the matter very quickly.
We had prepaid our electricity but it kept going off, 9 times in total, twice during the night so I lost my food in the freezer compartment. We kept having to put £1 coins in to keep it working.
The tv ariel was only roof level so every time a car drove past we lost the signal and the tv went off.
The shower kept going cold then started making a terrible noise and would only produce scolding hot water, luckily my husband and not my children were in the shower at the time, this meant we could only use the bath! In case they got burnt.
Then we tried to go swimming, you have to choose an hourly slot , which isn't a problem as we wanted to use the 5-6 slot as advertised in the leaflet they gave us. We went over at 4.45 to be told they closed at 5, I explained that the leaflet said open till 6 to be meet by a shrug of the shoulders by the life guard ( a term I use loosely for reasons that will become apparent). The following evening we arrived at 3.45 for a hours slot. Pool is fine and clean, needs updating like the rest of the park, everything went well until we went to get changed and I slipped going down the steps, not one of the lifeguards came over to see if I was ok, my daughter was very distressed as I hurt my back and wrist, she called over the lifeguard and I told him I had slipped on the steps as they were very slippy and dangerous, his reply was, "yes, I cleaned them earlier" and walked off, I then went and complained to the other lifeguard on the way out, who thanked me for letting him know it was slippery and that he would put some mats down!!!!!!!
We put in a complaint to the manager regarding all our issues, who was apologetic, and said he would look into it and email us, think he must be sending it by pigeon post as it still hasn't arrived.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank townsend4

Travellers are raving about these Silloth hotels

Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

booked with sun tokens paid for extra 2 night so got upgraded to lodge doors wouldnt close shower sprayed water everywhere net curtains had been cut so all ragged at edges paid for entertainment passes but no entertainment on feel we were mugged wont be back wont recommend it

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 88sharon58
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Booked through the sun for a three day break. Excellent booking in process ... friendly staff.... 3 bed caravan was spotlessly clean . Warm and adequately equipped. Prices in the bar and bistro were reasonable despite being a captive audience...I paticularly liked the fact that the mini games arcade was not attached to the cabaret bar.. swimming pool was lovely and warm . There is a sauna and a Jacuzzi too. Changing rooms are a bit old fashioned but clean and showers were hot. There's lots more I could go on about but I would like to say if I had the money I'd buy a van on the site... I liked the place.. It needs a bit of tlc here and there but despite the rain we had a great time !

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MrsBailey-Sanders
Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Arrived on Friday 2nd May in the evening. Staff very friendly and helpful. Place does seem in need of some sprucing up in places, looks in need of a lick of paint. We stayed in 3 bedroom caravan and it was very clean and spacious for the four of us. We would return again in the future as we enjoyed it so much. Didn't go to bar as our kids are teens so a bit old for kids club so can't comment on that. Weather not too bad although cold at night and caravan had no central heating, but our choice not to pay extra for that. All in all a great break!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Deborah O
Hampshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Arrived at park at 4.20pm after a nearly 8hr drive to be told caravan wasnt ready, we were asked to come back in 20mins. Which we did, to be told it still wasnt ready. At this point I'd already had enough and was ready to leave. First impressions are important to me and this was not the best. My husband explained to staff that we had had a very long journey and told them they must have something available. We were given the keys to a different caravan eventually. This caravan was lovely.
Overall the park was really nice, only went to kids entertainment one night but our son enjoyed it.
Didnt eat on site so cant comment.
pool changing room was freezing, not enough showers.
Farm was nice but felt the animals kept in barn could of been cleaner (mainly the rabbit's)
After returning home we realised we had left something behind, contacted reception and it was posted to us straight away.
Overall we enjoyed our stay after a not so good start. Silloth itself is a nice small town, it has a co-op, spar and fish and chips. What more do you need?

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mjbex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Silloth
Golf Hotel
Stanwix Park Holiday Centre
Green View Guest House
Green View Guest House
#1 of 4 in Silloth

Been to Solway Holiday Village? Share your experiences!