“Do Not Stay Here!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arichat
L'Auberge Acadienne INN
Ranked #1 of 1 Arichat B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Very unpleasant staying at this inn. Nothing redeeming about this depressing place. Booked a room here for a wedding based on the fact that other wedding people would be staying here and on the advice of the bride and groom. Not sure if they actually researched it or not but it was pretty bad from the get go. When I called to book a room for two nights, the woman on the phone seemed agitated and grumpy that I would be calling her. After I arrived and opened the door to my motel room it smelled bad (like old, damp, unclean etc). I flicked the light switch but no light came on. I discovered everything in the room was unplugged, the lamps, the outdated clock radio and TV. The microwave was unplugged and not even close to a plug (I had to move it to the other end of the room to plug it in. No fridge, kettle, iron, hairdryer, the pillowcases were dirty with hair on them. My wife found an artificial finger nail on the floor. The Inn had a restaurant and bar (which were rarely ever open). The restaurant prices were pretty outrageous. I recall cold cereal was $5.95. I think 3 pancakes were $5.95 and if you wanted a few more it was an additional $3.00. I talked to a few patrons that had breakfast one day, and they complained it was expensive and their orders came back wrong. Based on the level of service and condition of the room I refrained from eating there and chose to pick up some groceries from the Co-op a mile up the road. The day of the wedding I went to take a shower and no hot water! Checked several times over several hours and still no hot water. Next day, wife and I got up really early to take a shower (and get out of there) and managed 1.5 showers before water got cold. No much soundproofing and could hear way too much from neighbors. Beds were very squeaky. When I checked out the person had the nerve to present my credit card slip with the TIP option on it. The people running this (I counted 3 including the cleaner but never at the same time) Inn are either completely clueless, or lazy, but not to shy to ask for a lot of money. How they remain in business to me is a mystery. Will never stay here again. Better off in Port Hawkesbury or elsewhere, and drive to the island if you have to.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Irish D

Reviewed 6 May 2011

When we opened the door to our room, we were shocked by the very strong smell .. Then we found hair on the bathroom floor and in the bed ... The sheets in the bed were unfresh to the least! There was no other place to stay around in arichat...
We were told by people that it used to be ok but when the new owner lowered drastically the service and that the maintenance and cleaning was reduced to a minimum. The food was not the best there and hair in the food the place was not fit to stay in...The owner even didn't look to clean and she was right rude and not nice what so ever...If anyone who wants to know about this hotel all I can stay is that its the worst one on cape breton...

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank cutepuppy28
Reviewed 4 March 2011

When we opened the door to our room, we were shocked by the very strong smell of humidity. Then we found hair on the bathroom floor... The sheets in the bed were unfresh to the least! There was no other place to stay around.

We were told by locals that it used to be ok but that the new owner lowered drastically the service and that the maintenance and cleaning was reduced to a minimum.

Avoid this place for the moment.

Location is great.

• Stayed: February 2011
7  Thank Adventurercanada2010
Reviewed 29 August 2010

We spent one night here - looking for a place to stay between Louisbourg and Halifax. We were happy with our accomodations - the room was quite large and clean and we had a nice view of the ocean - though we were not ocean front - rather across the road from it. Breakfast was very good and the wait staff very friendly and conversant - our waitress gave us some nice tips on what to see as we left town and we very much enjoyed the waterfront road instead of the main highway.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We stayed in a motel room for one night. (The owner called it the "ground floor room" when I made the reservation on the phone.) We were very disappointed. Everything looked old and completely worn out. The decor was very dated, and all of the linens were old and worn thin, almost threadbare. The pillows were limp, lumpy, and very worn out. The box springs weren't even covered with sheets. The room looked like it was straight out of the 1980s. For the same price and less, we stayed at much nicer places throughout Nova Scotia.

At least it was clean. But the room reeked of cleaning chemicals when we first walked in, which was rather a turnoff. I wanted to open the windows to air out the room, but I noticed gaps between the window screens and the surrounding frames (probably due to age), so I didn't, for fear of bugs.

The bathroom had very little counter space for our toiletries. The shower was good and had great water pressure.

Breakfast in the dining room was equally disappointing. My husband's pain perdu (French toast) was very bland and poorly cooked. Nothing on the menu appealed to me so I had the light breakfast of toast, cereal and fruit, figuring I couldn't go wrong with that... well the toast was overloaded with very salty butter, and I couldn't eat it even after adding jam.

Apparently, the inn was under new management as of a month before we visited. The owners are very friendly and I certainly hope that they have big plans for renovations. It is in major need of a face lift. I can't speak for the inn (upstairs rooms) but I would definitely not recommend the motel to anyone in its current state.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank adriane522
Reviewed 15 June 2010

I was travelling Cape Breton Island with my mother, and after a terrible experience at Vollmer's Island Paradise, we drove in to Arichat in the hopes of finding a room. What a treat to find a room in a lovely in with helpful owners who tended to every detail - even running down to the room before we checked in to reset the alarm clock after a power outage. Highly recommend it if you're staying on Isle Madame.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 29 June 2009

My sister-in-law booked us in here as we were meeting in West Arichat for a family event. Arichat is really off the beaten track, on Isle Madame on the southwestern end of Cape Breton Island, and we had no idea what to expect. We booked into the Inn itself, rather than the motel rooms, which was a great decision. The rooms were lovely . . . among the cleanest I've ever stayed in, and beautifully decorated. Bathroom was tiny, but fully equipped, and with a fabulous, hot, pounding shower. The innkeeper, Pauline Bona, was really friendly, without being intrusive, and helpful about directing us to things we might enjoy doing/seeing. And the food was amazing. While there's not a ton of activity in the area, it's very beautiful, without all of the tourist hype you find in a lot of similar ocean spots. You could use the Inn as a base of operations for the Trail or other more famous Cape Breton landmarks, but it would also be a wonderful place to just spend a few days. There's a lovely beach about 10 minutes away and lots of ocean exploring to do. And the Inn itself would offer any comforts you'd be looking for. Great spot!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FranMD

Been to L'Auberge Acadienne INN? Share your experiences!