“Attractive but no soul”
Review of Le Cygne

Le Cygne
Reserve with
Le Cygne is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$25 - US$87
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Brussels, Belgium
“Attractive but no soul”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We ate here on Christmas Day 2013. The restaurant is attractive and was well decorated both inside and out. The seating arrangement was perfectly fine and the service was professional and courteous. We chose the menu gourmand. Our starter was (as they unnecessarily said) a perfectly cooked egg in a purée of Jerusalem artichoke on top of a puree of chestnuts, and some slices of truffle. It was delicious. The main course was filet of venison. There were three small pieces which were ok, topped with a slightly tasteless undercooked piece of mushroom. The vegetables consisted of small cubes of ‘forgotten vegetables’ like parsnip (which I actually eat quite often) and rutabaga. There were also ‘petals’ of pretty raw Brussels sprout. Overall I found it quite disappointing. I had cheese from the cheeseboard and my mother had their ‘savarin au rhum’, a sort of posh baba au rhum, which looked gorgeous and I from the little bit I tasted was very good. However, I found the amuses-bouche they brought too acidic, and then from time to time someone would come and put a tray of marshmallow or chocolate truffles in front of us. I could tell that the people serving were concentrating more on getting their spiel right, rather than engaging with the customers, which for me is a mistake. They might also think about a total redesign of their ladies and gents facilities. When my mum needed to visit them, I had to take her to show her how to get in, otherwise she would never have worked it out. It was difficult to identify which was which and there was a smoked glass door, which opened by swiping your hand over a button somewhere, which was not at all obvious. In other words – this was not a very user-friendly environment. It’s a pity because the place has potential. I just would have expected more from a 2* restaurant.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Jubruxella

Metz, France
“Vive la France !”
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

The lunch I had with my wife at Le Cygne was more than a culinary experience.
It was a display of the best you can find when visiting Europe/France.
Everything is perfect : the food is georgeous, the decoration tasteful and the service wonderful.
November 2 will be a day we II never forget.

1 Thank pnetter
Graz, Austria
“Fantastic dining experience”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I was there with a group of French business associates and they had pre-ordered a multi course meal with accompanying wines. We were welcomed with champagne then led to our tables where we started with small appetizers, among others a really tasty beetroot soup. Our server was really thoughtful and explained the dishes not only in French but for me also in German. We were offered a wide selection of bread.
We enjoyed (among others) a lobster cappuccino, a morel, stuffed with white mushrooms, venison, a rum cake with fantastic tropic fruit salad and a delicious creme fraiche mousse. The wines were all from France and when we had a question about them the server could answer all of our questions. We finished off with the small delicacies - chocolate truffles, marshmallows...
An absolutely perfect evening!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Andrea G
Strasbourg
“Fantastic food!”
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Great michelin star restaurant with all in! You are not going to get just fantastic food, but as well excellent service, personal advices from the owner and you can expect the little special touches, like this you will remember the dinner for a long time. We had a dinner there with my husband on our 4. Wedding anniversary. I was 7 months pregnant and we got all atrention we could. The owner came to help me choose and replace food i couldnt eat with something else, mixed special non alcoholic coctail to join my husband celebrating and they have incorporated a personal wishes for our anniversary into the desert. It was fantastic, worth every penny!

Visited July 2012
Bad Waldsee, Germany
“Not a 2 star restaurant!”
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Either Michelin dropped their standards when awarding stars, or we were simply unlucky on our recent visit. All 4 of us had the Menu Retour du Marche, very competitively priced at 50 Euros (without service).
Amuse-Bouche was very goodt. Rabbit pate as starter was rather mediocre. The in-between Lobster Cappucino was very tasty and for me the best course. As main course 3 of us had the calf kidneys in an onion basket topped with mashed potatoes flavoured with horse raddish - the course was very good, but not really exciting. The 4th person was happy with her Maigre, but did not think that is was overwhelming. By the way, the bread was rather cold and hard.
Despite saying on the Menu something like "Choice of Desserts/or Cheese Selection", we were informed that no dessert was included in the menu. They did, however, serve nice chocolate truffles and petits fours with coffee.
The wine list is very good, prices are on the high side. Service was good, but somehow - as mostly in France - too much fussing around. I hate it when every course is explained in detail whether you want to know it or not.
Nice touch: The ladies received a little bag of self-made chocolate truffles after we had settled the bill.
All in all a pleasant evening, but I would not go out of my way to visit the Cygne again.

• Visited September 2012