“Good family holiday”

Palm Wings Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 79 Hotels in Didim
Reviewed 6 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed for two weeks first two weeks of school holidays, never seamed overcrowded could always get a sun bed, no ques for drinks or food had a great time.
Room- amazing, paid extra for a sea view and well worth it.

Food- plenty of choice and very nice although wouldn't recommend the fish al acart try Italian or Turkish , very nice to be waited on for a change from the main resteraunt.

Entertainment- friendly guys and worked very hard

Kids club- great girls from Thompson, don't bother with hotel club it is not run well as they wouldn't let my boy out when he was sick as they had picked teams forfootball.

Pool- great slides and pool good size, never overcrowded only problem as said on previous reviews it is VERY SLIPPERY and we saw that guy spilit his head and another girl sparked out and had to be wheeled off in a wheelchair.

All in all a nice hotel,people cleaning all the time and gardens maintained day and night. Bar staff are a bit miserable and should make more effort with the English as we are always polite to them.
Although we all did get some sickness like many others staying at palm Wings, it hasnt put us off and would return.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Miaeve

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Palm Wings is a wonderful hotel. It is clean, nice and has absolutely everything you need to have a good time. The food is great, the people are nice and helpful.The room we had was a very big one, always clean and cosy. Nice Pools, nice Diso bar with wonderful view, great animation team. I don't think anything was missing. We had a wonderful time, had rest and lots of fun.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2012

stayed for 7days on the 16th july12 what a week we really didnt want to go home, the animation team were outstanding thankyou guys. I really enjoyed and so did our party of 21 ageing between 1 and 73yrs. the food was lovely a different choice every meal time and the snack bar was fab for the teenagers. i cant wait to return next year..

Room Tip: next time i will be asking for a bungalow they were beautiful
1  Thank regan_12
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed at the Palm Wings from 23rd July for one week.We were dealt with quickly on our arrival and taken to our bungalow by the bell boy.
The bungalow was very clean,had one double and bunk beds,not a great deal of wardrobe space and bathroom.The air conditioning was very effective but unfortunately very loud.If the heat didn't stop you from sleeping then the air con would!!
All the communal areas were cleaned regularly.The area around the pool is an absolute nightmare for people slipping.Every day we were there somebody would go down as if a sniper in the bushes had picked them off.One fella we seen had a big gash across the back of his head which needed stitches.Good job there's medical staff on site.This wasn't confined to the pool area alone,the same flooring was outside the main restaurant,although this didn't get so wet.But you'd still see people quickly grabbing onto somebody/thing to save themselves.
The restaurant was a good size so there was no waiting for tables and wasn't too hot inside.The food itself was very nice.Breakfast was very basic but was saved by the fresh pancakes which had a number of toppings available to put on,alas these weren't available daily.We never used the restaurant for lunch,preferring the snack bar overlooking the sea.This had chips,burgers,pizza,pasta and salads.Nothing spectacular but filled the gap.The scenery whilst eating was fantastic though.The evening dinners were very nice.There was a huge amount of choice,meats,fish,different vegetables and some of the tastiest rice I've ever tried.One of the waiters we met was really friendly,think his name was Ahmed and was studying to become an English teacher so was always up for a chat.The rest had a face like a smacked backside.Needless to say,we didn't leave a tip.
The bar staff were efficient,very quick with the drinks but made no interaction with you,even at quiet times.The drinks themselves were very poor.I understand the reason behind the standard of alcoholic drinks being served but these were the worst we've encountered.The Efes lager had a laxative effect on me after 2 of them in the hotel,but in the other bars we went to,didn't??Perhaps they don't clean the lines through regularly??We just stuck to Vodka in the end,but went to bed as clear headed as when you woke up.My wife and I don't go out to get smashed but if you're having a drink at least get a little bit tipsy.We'd have 4 maybe 5 drinks a night but may as well have drunk squash.
The evening entertainment was anything but!!The first night was comedy night??It was about as funny as a kick in the *****.Next night consisted of the entertainment team miming songs from musicals and film.The two nights which centered on the audience were quite funny,mainly due to the fact that people were prepared to get on the stage and have a laugh.We had the priviledge?? of seeing the premiere of 'My Pumps'.Which was a drag act.This was pretty much the theme for all the entertainment.The annoying compere whose routine you could predict before he did it made a right song and dance about the show and had a cake brought out onto the stage with staff bearing flaming torches.We made it half way through the second song before leaving.We turned around to see hordes of others following.This place desperately needs some professional acts in the evening,maybe not every night but a few times a week.The management need to spend some of the money they charge.
Overall,we had a good time,only after the sun going down were we left disappointed.I wouldn't book to go back to the Palm Wings but wouldn't be too distraught if got sent there on a last minute deal.
One tip which may be relevant,whenever we saw the maids who cleaned our room we always said Merhaba(Turkish for Hello).This caused them much amusement but when we got back to the room later on there were always Rose petals scattered over the bed.
Tell your Mrs you had it prearranged.

5  Thank BobEsponga186460
Palm w, Manager at Palm Wings Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2012

Thank you for your feedback.
We develop ourselves in order to provide better service.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Young couple (19 & 20) returned from a week AI 10th-17th July 2012.

Arrived at the resort at around 3am after a 2hr 15min transfer to be greeted by an uninterested receptionist whose English was very poor. We were then taken to our room by a bellboy in a golf buggy, which would have been very impressive and helpful had he taken us to a bungalow (like we had booked) and not a hotel room. Hotel room was very small, with only around an 80cm space between the bed and the walls, and the end of the bed and the desk. The room was carpeted which made it feel even warmer, exactly what we didn't want. Our balcony door also didn't close properly. We decided to spend the first night in the room, though, as it was already 3.30am and we just wanted a decent sleep.

The next morning we went to our Thomson welcome meeting and told the rep that we had been put in the wrong accommodation and she quickly corrected this for us after the meeting had finished. I don't think this would have been as easily recitified if we had arrived even a week later as the hotel became very full. We returned to our room, collected our cases and a bellboy picked us up and took us to our bungalow. The bungalows are a lot nicer than the hotel - rooms are a lot bigger, the decor is light and airy and the room stayed cool throughout the day even without air con on. Please note that some of the bungalows are just as far from the amenities as the hotel, so if you are thinking of choosing a bungalow purely for closeness to activities then you may want to think again. However, the walk isn't bad. Our bungalow was one of the furthest bungalows away from the pool/restaurant and it still only took us about 3 minutes to walk the distance. It isn't exactly enjoyable in the heat, though.

The resort is rather big and the signposts aren't the best. On the first day it took us 2 or 3 walks around the resort to actually find the restaurant as the directions seemed to just stop once we arrived at the shops. The restaurant is little more than acceptable. Breakfast was awful - I ended up just having a plate of tasteless watermelon every day and my boyfriend had a slice of bread as there was nothing else we were willing to stomach so early on in the day - most of the food was unrecognisable and coated in oil. Lunch wasn't a lot better, but we only ate lunch in the main restaurant on the first day. We chose to eat at the snack bar for the rest of the week. They put on pasta and sauce, two types of pizza, meatballs or chicken nuggets, hamburgers and salad every day. Very tasty and a lot more appetising than what was coming out of the restaurant kitchen. Dinner was okay depending on what kind of eater you are. I personally enjoyed the evening food, but my boyfriend found it difficult every single night to find food to fill his plate as he is not a fan of saucy foods, and EVERYTHING had a sauce. The fresh food prepared outside while you waited was quite nice though.

There is only one proper bar which is situated by the pool. Most reviews I have read say that this isn't enough, but I don't see the problem as the bar was never busy all throughout the day. I always got served within 2 or 3 minutes of arriving at the bar. The barmen aren't the best i have encountered. None of them seem happy to be there - they don't make any conversation with you, they just take your order, make your drink and tell you you are welcome. Their selection of alcohol isn't great either - a local vodka, gin and whisky, and different flavoured liquors. You can't expect the alcohol to be great though as Turkey is a Muslim country after all. All inclusive ends at 11pm, God knows why, it's not as though adding an extra hour on to make is midnight would make a difference.

The pool is a great size and was never very busy while we were there. We managed to find a couple of sunbeds together every day apart from our last day, when the hotel had clearly become quite busy as it was the last week of school. I imagine that it would be near impossible to find sunbeds throughout the day in the peak of summer. The flooring that has been used aroud the pool is ridiculous, it is extremely slippery and gets horrendously hot during the day. I couldn't walk a distance of 20 metres without slipping on the floor and saw a few people take a tumble while we were there. The jetty on the beach was always quite empty, though, and that was a lovely area. Every direction you looked you were surrounded by sea. However, be careful of the wooden floor on the jetty too as that gets really hot as well.

Altinkum town is okay for one visit. After that it's just boring. There are lots of shops, but these are all the same - fake designer clothes, jewellery, tacky souvenirs or cafes. Everything is really cheap, though. My boyfriend got a Turkish shave at 'Gold Hairdressers' (not entirely sure of the name) for 14TL (£5) which included a shave, facial and back massage. We visited Cheers Bar on a couple of nights which had a lovely atmosphere, a delightful owner and reasonable prices.

I was pleased with Palm Wings overall, but I do think that there is a lot that can be improved upon. I know that Thomson have only rated the resort 4*, but the fact that Palm Wings gives itself 5 really had me looking forward to something amazing, which I did not get. In general it is a lovely place - there is a lovely vibe around the resort, the pool is great, the beach is beautiful - but it's the little things like service from the barmen, the slippery pool, lack of signposts and ants EVERYWHERE that lets the side down. We booked this hotel as a late deal a month before departing for a lot less than we would have paid if we had booked 6 months in advance, and I think if I had paid much more than I did for the holiday I would have been bitterly disappointed in what I received for my money.

Room Tip: Bungalows are a lot nicer than hotel rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kirstyls2512

Thanks for the nice comments

Reviewed 24 July 2012

First off, don’t let the bad reviews put you off as the resort really is not as bad as some have made out. Yes, some things aren’t 5 star quality (which is to be expected as it’s not rated 5 star!) but my boyfriend and I had a lovely time at Palm Wings!! I have stayed in some 5 star hotels in the past and this hotel has been just as good as any other hotel I've ever stayed at. Many say that it’s not a couples holiday but I disagree. Obviously there are plenty of families there but it’s a very relaxing, fun, ‘romantic’ holiday for couples!
It was very clean, lots of activities by the pool every day followed by the animation team’s dance which my boyfriend and I loved!

Flights were fine, no problems at all and the transfer to the resort was not very long (around an hour and a half). Didn’t take long at all but the roads are fairly dangerous/bumpy as they haven’t been finished but they did not delay us and the bumpy ride didn’t affect either of us in the slightest. Waiting to pick up my suitcase was a bit of a pain though as it took absolutely ages and the heat starts to hit you after so long! Airport is very nice though!

There are 4 pools, the main pool, children’s pool, relax pool (over 18s) and the indoor pool which we never went to. It’s fairly hard to find a sun bed if you get up quite late as most people are round the pool getting beds way before 9 but we always found somewhere to sit. You also get towels every day with your towel cards.
The beach seemed fairly busy each day but my boyfriend and I never went down there. If you were also planning on doing some water sports be aware that it is very expensive. Jet ski’s were 75 lira for only 15 minutes so we didn’t bother but we regret not going on them now!

Different food every day, not absolutely amazing, but I am a fussy eater yet I still managed to find plenty to eat and it was in fact very nice. The food that is grilled outside is particularly good and very fresh. They have different themes each night and cater to everyone. Most people say that there is always a long line for the chips but I didn’t find that to be true although, everyone lines up to go outside first as the line can get fairly big as the food out there is so nice! In the afternoon by the pool bar ice creams/cookies/pancakes are served as well which are delicious.

My boyfriend and I upgraded to the bungalows which I would highly recommend. On the first night we were put into a smaller bungalow for some reason (which after reading more reviews seems to have happened quite a lot) but were told that we would be moved the following day into the family one. No problems at all and we were taken to the other bungalow the next day on their golf buggies. Very nice and spacious, cleaned every day if you wanted it to be and you were given a bottle of water every day for your mini fridge followed by clean towels every day. They do clean the rooms fairly late though, I left the pool around half 4 going on five one day to find that they hadn’t cleaned it at all and they came round at half five trying to clean but instead we just got some clean towels which is really all you need, it’s a shame I had already had a shower by the time they came though! I would recommend the bungalows as my boyfriend and I heard that the hotel rooms weren’t very good. Some of the bungalows are fairly far away from the pool but the walk is very nice but if you really wanted you could get the bell boys to pick you up in a golf buggy and take you there.

Entertainment every night at 10pm which was fairly good, mostly it was the animation team performing but we still enjoyed it. Sometimes they followed the entertainment on to the pool bar but not always. There’s also a disco by the pier which supposedly carries on till around 6am (not sure) but we never stuck around that long!! Honestly, it was dead most nights. The most we saw there were around 8 people and it didn’t last for very long. The drinks served there are very expensive also! Drinks by the pool bar close at 11pm as well so it’s best to get there earlier and order as much as you can before it closes which is what most people did.

Staff were very friendly also however, they are very very serious! My boyfriend and I wanted to go on the beach one night for a little walk and we got chased out by security with a torch. They scan the place every single night so you can’t really go anywhere besides the little pier but they keep a very close eye on you.
Animation team were also very nice, always made the effort to speak to you and encourage you to take part in their activities which honestly can be a little annoying at times when you just want to relax! Sadly I got dragged up a few times to take part but it is well worth it when you think about it, it’s not every day you get to be in Turkey. You also find that each of the animation team sit with you at dinner (not always, it only happened to us three times), yes it’s nice to have a chat but it can be a little awkward however I’m not complaining as it’s something they’re obviously told to do and it’s nice that they interact with the guests.

One thing I will fault though were the Thomson staff. Honestly they are useless. I only ever saw them once and that was at lunch when they were stuffing their face. If you were planning on taking trips obviously be aware that they will be very expensive through Thomson so I don’t really think it’s worth it. You can take a walk down to the market if you want to, it’s no longer than a 5 minute walk but it is very very hot so make sure you take plenty of water. My boyfriend and I were only there for around half an hour but we were dying to get back as it was around 45 degrees. There’s not much there either unless you want to buy fake bags/purses/sunglasses etc. We didn’t check out the prices but I’m sure they’re not too expensive and you can bring the prices down if you really tried.

One other thing I will mention is that you will get eaten alive. Thankfully my bites weren’t that bad but you WILL get bitten, a lot, so take some insect repellent.

All in all it was a great holiday that I would definitely recommend to anyone, particularly families. Would I go back? Definitely, but it’s nice to go somewhere different although I wish we stayed for two weeks rather than one! I miss it already! It is definitely the best hotel out there as the others seemed pretty crappy as we drove past them. Had some great memories there and very glad we picked the right resort!

Room Tip: Upgrade to bungalows
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emily G

Thanks for the nice comments

Reviewed 23 July 2012

We took our grand children (6 and 18mths) away for a week from July 7th 2012, along with my younger daughter who is 21..we are both 46, we stayed in two bungalows.

This was a typical all inclusive resort, huge place, although first impressions were good, place was very well kept, gardens beautifully tended, and the bell boys were very helpful indeed.

I had been in touch with First Choice before departure as regards to my arthritis, and that I needed our bungalow to be close to the facilities, but that was clearly ignored. Thank goodness we were able to ring for lifts to and from the pool/restaurant/beach etc.. As golf buggy would swing by and pick us all up no problem. If this wasn't available I wouldn't have been able to get around the huge complex so easily. Not so easily available to find one for the return journey, but I managed the odd walk back to the room.

We had two bungalows, which were several rooms apart, even though asking for two rooms together so I could be near the grand children. We eventually got a cot in our room for the baby, although it was 4am, but the cot that was sent wasn't really safe, as he could have quite easily toppled over the side. The one in the other apartment was a proper travel cot, which I would say is much safer for older babies.

The aircon was good in the rooms; there is a free safe, once you figure out how to use it. There's a TV, but only Sky News BBC News, Sky Sports, True Movies, and a cartoon channel in English... I suggest Management tuning at least one mainstream English Channel in, as it wasn't very entertaining if you wanted to chill out and rest for a while in your room.

It was extremely hot the week we stayed, on average of 43 degrees every day. So people naturally wanted seating baby the pool and the umbrellas from the crack of dawn, and we saw people going down the road towards the pool area before 8am!

The pool itself was massive, with various sections to sit around, but felt a bit too packed in, so many beds and hardly any room to walk between them. The flumes were open for 2 hours twice a day, and although there we many signs saying for use of over 12's only, this was clearly ignored by staff. My own grand daughter who is 6 was up and down there all the time. It was safe enough, although some grown men who wanted to show how macho they were, threw themselves down the slides with the grace of elephants, and managing to create great tidal waves at splashdown... god help if you were a small child just down before them, you were liable to get a 15 stone hairy man in the head!

There was only one bar serving alcohol for the whole pool area, and frankly, it wasn't enough.. Although our experience was that it wasn't much to queue up for. The choice of drinks was pretty grim. Standard local vodka, gin, brandy or whisky, or local beer.. Or very sweet mixers. Water was always available in machines, along with highly sweet sugary juices, which were disgusting.
I also realise that glass around the pool is a big no no, but even so, the tumblers that the beer was served in were gross. I had a dirty glass on many occasions, and very rarely was the glasses filled, if you got half a beer and half froth you were lucky. It felt very tacky and cheap to be honest. And the way some staff served you, we were beneath contempt. Like we were asking for something we shouldn't of! Hello.... already paid many hundreds of pounds to be there!!!!

There was a small coffee/juice machine area also, help yourself drinks, and there was a counter where a woman cooked Turkish pancakes, stuffed with cheese or plain, and that where the ice cream was served once day out of a ice cream fridge by one man (for up to 1500 people that’s a big queue!) It's as if they make it as difficult as possible for you, so in the end you just say ahhh can't be bothered!
Same goes with the bar towards the beach, its steps all the way, so if you fancied something from there for lunch it was so far to go and walk back to the pool with any food you couldn't really do it in the heat. There were no trays or anything to help you carry more than two drinks at a time.

All the steps up and down to the beach made it impossible for me to enjoy going down there more than once or twice. On the whole it was a huge effort just to eat and drink there.

The restaurant itself was like a rugby scrum.

Long queues for anything decent being cooked fresh outside, or to the many tables of food you had to wander round to find this and that, and decide which the flies hadn't had a meal of first! By the time you actually sat down with the family all wandering in different directions, then realising there wasn't enough cutlery, glasses, napkins, salt n pepper... I was generally worn out and lost my appetite. I can honestly say I came home and had lost weight. A first for me on holiday where we generally put on a few pounds! That speaks volumes.

Although there were several negatives in my opinion, the place was clean and generally what you'd expect to find for the money we paid. If you want better, you're heading to the Caribbean I think, where all inclusive doesn't mean throwing cheap food and booze at you.

I was disappointed with the lack of care or a higher standard, seeing as this called itself 5 star.

I'd say it was a step up from Butlins, but with the sunshine.

We definitely wouldn't go here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a bungalow, if a large family ask for interconnecting rooms
7  Thank rockchic65