“palm wings resort” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Didim
London, United Kingdom
“palm wings resort”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Fantastic resort and setting everyone very friendly except some arrogant pool bar staff who seem so miserable,just returned on 12th aug, we all suffered upset stomachs, in the second week, but on the whole nice resort

Room Tip: unless your very tired, on site disco on the beach booms on till 3 am might keep you awake
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mark s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is the second year we have been to this hotel now and both times it has been outstanding. I couldn't fault it. The service, location, cleanliness and food are all amazing and me and my family have had the perfect holiday both times at the Palm Wings. All staff are very friendly and lovely. Every single day in the two week period, i returned with clean bed sheets and new towels. The Thompson reps were absolutely great, we was placed in the hotel for the first night, after booking the bungalows, and after being in the bungalows the previous year, but visiting the hotel we knew that the bungalows were a lot more spacious and overall nicer than the hotel rooms. While we were in the hotel for our first night, we got stuck in a lift and the call bell wouldn't work. The following day, we told the Thompson Rep, Craig Larkin, and he sorted us out with compensation and wouldn't stop fighting our case for us. He couldn't have been any more helpful. You can also book days out with the Thompson Reps, for example the water park, Aqua Fantasy in Kusadasi, which I went to during my stay and it was fabulous, there is something to do there for everyone, including a swim up bar with a DJ. The Palm Wings complex is very big so a buggie service is available that you can just get on if they are around the shopping centre and they will take you to your room. We also went on a boat trip during our stay which was a very nice day out. The location is perfect, just a 10 minute walk into Altinkum with amazing views, night life and is great for shopping. The entertainment is very good with plenty to do in the hotel for all the family, the animation team are excellent and do a lot of activities including darts, water polo, kids club, volley ball and much more. The animation team really did make my holiday with Tarzan, Justin, Nino and Shady being particularly friendly and they are all very good at their job. It is long hours for the animation team, however they constantly stay lively and upbeat. Members of the animation team go above and beyond to make your holiday one to remember for all the family. At night time, there is a games room open and at the amphitheater there are shows ranging from Mr and Mrs to dancing shows, which are very good. After the pool bar entertainment is finished there is a disco on near the beach from 12-2am. As i have mentioned, the food is excellent, even for fussier eaters, with pasta and chips available at every evening meal. For breakfast, fresh omelettes, pancakes, fried eggs, or cakes are available, and at lunch time, there are 3 places to choose from, the ''snack bar'' by the pool, which serves kebab meat, pasta, chips, pizza and loads more also there is the ''snack bar'' over looking the sea, which does similar foods, or the restaurant, which does a variety of other things. There are theme nights for the food, including Chinese, Turkish, and Italian. Once a week there is a Turkish night with the food and entertainment for the night a Turkish theme. After the entertainment at the amphitheater there are bands and music playing at the pool bar, where drinks are available until mid night and after that a bar near the shopping centre is open until 10 o'clock in the morning. Drinks are available 24/7. During the holiday, I went to the Galaxy Bar is Altinkum, which is a very good nightclub to go to. I also met a lot of friends while I was at the hotel and this really did make my holiday. The Palm Wings is perfect for any type of families- ones with little kids, teenagers or even a romantic holiday. One thing is for sure, you won't find yourself a nicer hotel than this. I would honestly recommend it to anyone. It has been the best holiday I have ever been on. A totally unforgettable trip!

Room Tip: Bungalows are certainly the best option when booking the hotel, being most spacious and overall bett...
3 Thank Ella S
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

The pool was nice and so was the beach and 5 min walk away from altinkum but the rooms were terrible blood on the curtains showers leaking air con not working carpet floor lift dark and most of all there was only a double bed to sleep in and rooms were dirty

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Tom O
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

For myself, this is my second time returning to the Palm Wings Beach Resort. From start to finish the service, food, hospitality, cleanliness, facilities and entertainment were near faultless. Fortunately my family was placed in the bungalows, of which were clean, spacious and provided all necessary facilities-surrounded by the beautiful scenery, the hotel however does not compare. The maids ensured that after each day we returned to a clean and spotless room each day, with fresh towels, linen and toiletries. The air conditioning unit is fantastic! I found myself turning the temperature up as I was too cold! This was great as the temperatures in Turkey in the summer period averaged around 40 degrees.
The complex is large and therefore took advantage of the 'buggie' service when travelling from the pool area to my room or reception.
The location is perfect, just a 5-10 minute walk into Altinkum, a town with fantastic nightlife, beautiful views, nightclubs and a great place to barter for a bargain! However, if like my you fear dogs, security will order a taxi to drive you down as in the evening particularly there are lots of large dogs strolling the quieter streets! In the day time there are a number of trips which can be booked through the Thompson reps, we particularly enjoy the trip to Kusadasi's Aqua Fantasy Waterpark, and the various boat trips.
The food is fantastic! At breakfast, fresh omelettes, pancakes and flatbreads are made, also there are fresh fruits, salads, breads, cakes and pastries, and also the cooked breakfast option. The pool bar provides the popular pasta, chips, chicken, icecream and burgers etc which is available until 5pm, this is also available at the beach bar where the all inclusive continues. A 'propper' lunch is provided in the main restraunt, but you can only enter if fully clothed. The evening meal offers a range of different dishes suitable for all diets Guests also have the option to dine in two of either the Chinese, Indian and Italian, once throughout their stay, where a 4 course meal is served.
The all inclusive is good and is available 24/7! I found the bar staff were very friendly and always happy to help.
The Entertainment was the highlight of the holiday! There is something for everyone! Ranging from a games room, watersports on the private beach, spa, a large pool with three slides, a children's centre and club, amphitheatre, ate night disco and much more! However, it is the animation team that ensure the holiday is fun filled and enjoyable. Shady, Niño, Justin and Tarzan in particular stood out, through their enthusiasm, positive attitude and dedication to their jobs 24/7, despite the long hours and intense heat, they were always smiling! Throughout the daytime they host a range of activities for all to participate in, helping strangers to become friends. The animation team made my holiday the best it could be, and one which I shall never forget! I think all members of the animation team work incredibly hard, going above and beyond expectations, becoming friends with myself and my family.

My holiday to Palm Wings was by far the best I have experienced, largely due to the people, both workers and guests! I would recommend staying at this resort (but would request to stay in the bungalows), for an unforgettable holiday suited to all.

Room Tip: Request a bungalow as the hotel is not 5 star standard or suited to the amount payed for the trip.
3 Thank Grace G
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

It's five star according to the local standards, so some people used to "western" 5-star hotels might be disappointed about some things, but you can easily forget about those. We spent there a week in mid July, 2014.

First of all, we loved the setup of the place. It is not a big, crowded hotel building, but abt. 80 small houses with 4 rooms/apartments in each. You got separated balcony and a lot of greens around. It's calm, it's private, it's what you need for a holiday, unless you get some bastards in the next room - but that can happen anywhere in the world.

Our room was a "large double" with additional bunk bed for the kids, I haven't seen the other room's layout. Our was comfortable, cleaned properly daily, well working aircon. The only concern was some leaking water below the shower tray, but nothing serious.

The pool area is also comfy, pool(s) are big enough not to be crowded, you also can find place around the pool any time. Things are clean, and are working properly.
Same applies to the hotel's private beach. It's big enough for the guests, there's even a huge kind of pier with shades and other relaxing stuff.

Food is a good combination of local and european taste. You have a very wide choice of entrees, main courses, desserts, fruits, whatever. Though, it's worth to arrive in time for the dinner as some special dishes are available up to a certain limit, but if you miss, you don't even notice.
Freshly grilled fish, vegetables, pastas, and so on. It's easily possible to eat something totally different each and every day.
0-24 all inclusive is true, you can eat something all around the clock, and in most of daytime you can go to the main restaurant with the best choice. Though, pool bars with pizza slices, hamburgers and salads are also fine.

What else? Tried some treatments in the spa, also good enough for the price. You can rent jet ski, try water ski, bananas, and all these typical sea fun activities. Entertainment is also not bad, you have something to do all day, in the pool, next to the pool, or somewhere else. Evening shows are weird sometimes (Michael Jackson imitator, heh? :)) but you also can catch good shows, like seeing the entertainment manager of the hotel presenting a proper fakir show.
Free WiFi everywhere, several hotspots, though the speed is not for remote work...

Guests are also ok. Mostly british people I assume, some dutch and german guys, and also a few eastern european families. I haven't really seen any rude event, or so.

Staff is friendly, some of them having challenges with english speaking, but they do their best and apparently, they are working very hard and re used up to their limits.

The location can be considered as ideal as well. A 5 minutes bus trip from town, but you also can walk if you don't mind. Though, Didim itself is not a big deal, it's relatively a new destination. Will continuously develop in the upcoming years, for sure. Sea is clean around.

A minor negative point is some kind of disco music until late night, but frankly speaking, I have no idea where did it come from. With closed balcony door you don't hear it, and you don't have aircon with an open one, and you will use it anyway, so not a big problem.

Overall, it's really a good place, at least it was for us. I would highly recommend for the those how needs a relaxing holiday and can accept some minor issues (e.g. the leaking) without immediately complaining. Go and enjoy.

Room Tip: Our room was in the block 1700-1799, good distance from anywhere. 1400 and 1500 ranges are closer to...
      Location
7 Thank Jeno N
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Great bungalow rooms, very clean, air con very good. Food is repetitive as always on all inclusive but was fresh and tasty, warm when it needed to be and cool when it needed to be. Staff in restaurant were polite and friendly. Bar staff however are a different story. I am sure they are polite and friendly to all the teenage girls as that seems to be their only focus. Asking for drinks seemed to be a chore for them and they rarely listened to what you asked for.
Game centre fairly small but everything seemed to work ok. Did see kids as young as 8 playing an 18 rated game on ps3 in the game centre. The 'supervisors' in the game centre shouldn't have really let them do that.
Pool area clean, just about enough sun beds. Pool warm, slides great fun. All in all a great holiday at a great place with just a few little gripes.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Turkish B
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived at Palm Wings 19th May for 2 weeks. 2 adults and our 11 year old daughter.

On arrival we were sent very swiftly to our room that was in the hotel. Please be warned if you arrive at night you will think you are staying in a haunted abandoned hotel. It really isn't as bad as first impressions. Our room was clean (a little smaller than we anticipated) with no balcony but absolutely fine for our family size and how much time is spent in your room?
Plus you have nice little tea, coffee, delicious hot choc and juice faculties in the reception.

Once settled we went off out to find some food! The hotel feels a way from the centre of all facilities but it isn't really. Couple of minutes walk and actually its nice to be a little away from the hassle and bustle.
It was 11pm after leaving the UK 3pm and all 3 of us were starving. We were very disappointed to have to wait around until midnight for the restaurant to serve up
Midnight snacks. Granted these snacks were lovely - soup, fresh bread, small selection of hot meals and some salad bits and cold meats. BUT I really do not think it is appropriate to ask a family to wait another 1 hour for food especially after landing in Turkey at 8pm
with no means of getting some food. I'm glad my daughter was 11 and not a little one.
Our last 2 holidays have ensured the restaurant was ready to greet their guests regardless of arrival time.

Woke up on 1st day to such a beautiful complex. Spacious and lots of flowers. We headed off down to breakfast.
Wow!!!!! It was all gorgeous! Fresh pancakes, omelettes and eggs ... Plus your usual breakfasts items obviously without the pork .... Look out for the delicious mini fresh croissants in the oven by the fresh bread!!! Oh my ....these with pancakes and with the various different jams, Chocolate sauce and peanut butter was just heaven. Only frustration was the toasters - queues 5-10 people deep! Just not the right size for complex nor enough of them! Plus the ones in place (2 yes 2) Were not very effective! I witnessed one lady put her bread through 7 times lol ....
Note the amount if different breads was amazing!

After breakfast each day we set off to get our clean pool towels from towel hut and get some sunbeds. This was about 10am now and we had lots and lots of choice.

Animation time starts at 10.30 and we absolutely loved these guys!!!! Tarzan, Justin, Shady, nina and Eddie. Steve, Ellie and momma say Hi ... (The champion family hahah) We loved all daytime activities and you just have to get used to the HELLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO down the the microphone lol ... If you want quiet then go down you the beach area.

In between activities you are right by the bar to keep yourself cool.

Activities include - French boules, darts, poolside
Games, volleyball and water polo plus the water slides a few hours a day! Great for all 3 of us!

Lunch choices were either back in the main restaurant, snack bar by pool or snack bar by beach. We preferred snack bars - chicken kebabs, pizza, nuggets, salad, fries and burgers. Perfect for us... Not forgetting yummy ice cream - vanilla or chocolate.

You will not go hungry.... The beach also do fresh sweet pancakes late afternoon ... To die for!!!!!
Plus biscuits at pool snack area from 5.

Evening meal was really nice every night - lots of hot choices - curries , stews, chicken in sauces ... Veg, all different potatoes and then outside cooking if pasta, fish and special dishes. Also had soup and some many different salad items. The desserts are all very samey but nice!

Al a cart restaurants quite disappointing.... Indian wasnt nice (the hotel apologised for our experience) but the Italian was ok. Worst case scenario use your free tickets (1) per week and if you don't like it go back into main restaurant.

Evening entertainment wasn't the best but it's no different to any other hotel in Turkey. The Animation team really try hard but it's all a little cringey. Mamma Mia was good :) We enjoyed sitting up in the bar playing cards and games trying out the different cocktails. Bar drinks were all really nice. The ameretto was my fave!

First choice family day boat trip not the best!! Been on far better for half the price!!! We found out that the kids reps were not available as they were back in the UK getting their visas and out entertainment was by transfer reps! Craig didn't think this was a problem!!! Myself and several other families disagreed! I don't blame people for booking with outside companies..

Didum itself - not very commercial but does have some lovely little bars!

We really did have a great 2 weeks and I would definitely return to this hotel but most probably ask for a bungalow.

• Stayed May 2014