“Fabulous holiday, fantastic hotel and beach is a bonus.”

Palm Wings Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 77 Hotels in Didim
yateley
“Fabulous holiday, fantastic hotel and beach is a bonus.”
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Myself, my husband, my teenage Daughter and her friend have just returned yesterday from a week's stay at the Palm Wings Beach Resort.
The worst thing about this holiday was the transfer which took 1.5 hours. We had a delay at bodrum waiting for our pre-booked transfer for over an hour. So not a good start but our first impression of the hotel when we were dropped off was utter amazement. It looked very impressive and the faces of the other passengers on the coach just said it all. We were greeted from the coach by a Bell Boy whom collected our luggage and guided us to reception. Once we had checked in we then were greeted with a Golf Buggy style transportation to take us to our room.
The family room was ideally situated close to the pool and the Private beach and was very clean and spacious. The air conditioning is a life saver.
The food at the hotel is very varied and find it hard to believe from previous reviews and seeing people in the restaurant that the only food some people found to eat were chips and burgers. The food was amazing although it can seem a little repetative. We were ok with this as we only had the week although we did eat out in Altinkum one evening just for a change. On the whole very good standard of food was available throughout the day.
The Private beach is amazing. So pretty and peaceful. Watersports are available for an extra cost. Approx 25tl each person for about 10mins.
The swimming pool is just as loveley with the entertainment team encouraging people to try out the games, water gym etc although you do not have to take part.
The drinks at the bar are served in small beakers and the beer tasted a lot weaker than that of the bars we visited outside of the hotel.
With regard to the Salmonella that has been mentioned in the last few reviews, we did not see any evidence of this. I had slight upset tummy one night as did my daughter but no more than we have experienced on anyother holiday abroad. In all this is a very friendly, clean hotel. I would just say that the Turks holidaying there do not have any manners. They do seem to think they own the place. Turkish people on the whole are very friendly.
Although we have never been back to the same hotel twice just because we like trying new places, I would certainly consider the Palm Beach if returning to Altinkum.

2 Thank sezzy1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
Reviewed 21 July 2009

This resort was great value for money - food/drink, pool, facilities were all very good. We all had a great time - two kids loved the pool, mini club and entertainment at night. (The entertainment after the kids mini disco make the Chuckle Brothers look like comic genius) - but again kids loved it.

The down side for ourselves was the lock of the villa being broken - this happened on three occasions, the first time it took 2 hours to be fixed, the second seven hours and the third time we were moved room. The main problem was not so much the broken lock as this could happen anywhere but the being consistently told that a technician would be coming in ten minutes, when in actual fact they would take hours to arrive. It would have been preferrable to be told that it would take time to fix and be able to leave the room and let this happen. This was an inconvenience but the hotel did compensate us with a visit to their spa. If you experience problems of this nature I would advise you to keep phoning or to ask to speak to the manager as soon as a problem arose - this might speed things up.

Overall I would recommend this hotel, there were several people ill with a 'bug', but as this has happened to us on various holidays its difficult to pin point was the problem was - certainly the resort and all its facilities were very clean. Would definitely visit again for a short break.

1 Thank Maz67Glasgow
Glasgow
Reviewed 20 July 2009

The palm Wings Beach Resort was a wonderful hotel. We were there for a week at beggining of July. The staff were all very friendly. My family and I found the food xcellent, there was always plenty of variety. The pool was xcellent and my oldest son and partner loved the flumes. Our room was very spacious and was cleaned daily including bed changing and clean towels. My oldest son went to the mini club a couple of times and really enjoyd it, the mini disco was also a big thumbs up, even my 1 year old loved it. The hotel photographer was xcellent, would definately recommend getting photos taken. Would definately go back to this hotel and would even try the 2 weeks next time.

2 Thank Nic002
manchester
Reviewed 19 July 2009

This was a really great resort that offered everything you would expect from high-end all-inclusive.

Food:

Was good - varied and plenty of it. There was always lots of salad, bread, soup, different meats. Cooked BBQ outside with fried fish, turkey etc.

Drinks:

There were coffee machines and juice dispensers dotted around everyhwere. The poolside bar was open all day, with 'free' drinks finishing at midnight. Could be some queuing for beer as there was only one pump, but nothing worse than a busy-ish pub at home.

Staff:

There were lots of them. Everywhere you looked there were gardeners, waiters, bar staff, poolside assistants, entertainment team. Actually, this wasn't a hassle at all. They were just getting on with their jobs, and it meant the whole place was efficient and extremely clean. Everything was open when it said it would be!

Didim itself:

Was a small resort with the usual bars/shops/smaller hotels. To get there was a 5-10 minute walk down the road out of the resort. Could be nice to visit if you fancy a look round the shops - there was a guy called 'magic massages' on the beach offering really cheap services. I think it was something like £5 or £10 for full and half body. This was much cheaper than the resort's offerings.

The pool and beach:

Pool was really big. Had three large tube slides, a water polo area and plenty of deck chairs around. There is a towel card system where you exchange your card for a towel, then get it back at the end when you return. There was entertainment throughout the day, such as aqua aerobics and team games. But you didn't have to do these if you didn't want to. The beach was lovely - the resort's private one. It had a spacious decking area, beach bar etc. You could pay extra and do some water sport stuff - jet skiing, getting pulled along in a dinghi by boat etc. The best bet is to send your kids up with some money (we tried 30 lira) and see what they can get for it. Otherwise I found it slightly expensive.

Generally:

Was a really great place to stay. We normally love to have a moan about stuff on holiday but this place gave very little opportunity for this! I guess the stuff you had to pay extra for - like water sports or the arcade area - was expensive. But we spent hardly any extra all week, so this didn't really matter.

Although it is a more expensive option, you certainly feel like you've got what you paid for.

One last thing:

To enter Turkey you need to pay £10 for a visa. We didn't realise this before we arrived, and were lucky to have the right number of notes in sterling. I don't think the passport control people were looking to give change, so it might be an idea to make sure you have the right number of notes.

5 Thank jackb89
clydebank
Reviewed 18 July 2009

Just returned from this hotel,family,2 kids.
First the good,beautiful hotel,private beach,spotless,accomodation great,cleaned every day,new towels every day given for pool,beach,a couple of tweeks,could be 5*.
The bad,food although varied,british not really catered for (thank god for the beach restaurant opened till 5.00pm,burgers,pizza,chips,pasta)
Entertainment,a keyboard player at the pool restaurant and an hours dance or kids things at the ampitheatre.
ILLNESS,my daughter spent overnight in didymar hospital with drip,lost about 4 days holiday caring for our daughter (10yrs).
We stayed in this hotel day and night and did not venture out until daughter recovered therefor did not catch this outside the hotel.
Doctor was there 12 out of 14 days we stayed, I have contact details from at least 15 families who all had this bug.
Spoke to hotel manager who concurred that there was a bug going around his hotel,had changed water vendor and was having tests carried out on pool etc,was doing everything in his power to contain bug.
Another family who were all ill for the week they were there had to sign an improvised statement ,made up by the hotel manager stating that they would not claim compensation for illness,if they didnt the manager refused to give them a late room,again,disgraceful.
wings abroad/sunwings reps did not want to know,added there bit to the complaint forms that they were fine and had eaten there every day,a blatant lie!,disgraceful!.
This could be a fantastic hotel,we have been to altinkum 6 times and never experienced any illness,this was a first.
I suspect there will be a lot of compensation claims going through different operators in the next few weeks,mine included.
As I say,this has the makings of a great hotel,just a shame we were there when there was a bug going around it.
Only recommending on what this hotel could be.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank peydaaqua
wales
Reviewed 15 July 2009

Myself and my family have recently returned from the PALM WINGS BEACH RESORT, and I can honestly say it was a 'HOLIDAY FROM HELL'. We had booked for 2 weeks and on the fourth day into our holiday both myself and my husband became violently ill with Salmonella Poisoning. Thankfully are two small children did not pick up the virus, mainly because they only ate chips.

On the fourth day I had diarehea, which became so bad that on the 5th day we had to call a doctor to our room. I was taken to the hotel clinic and put on a drip and Antibiotics, which cost us £80. I was in my room for 5 days, whilst my sick husband looked after our children. Later, when I managed to venture out of the room, we became aware of a larger problem and that more were affected with the same illness.

In fact,k 15 Scottish families had also became very ill, one family had to take their 10 year old daughter to hospital and another family where they had all come down with it , unable to leave their room. We all just wanted to come home as the holiday had been ruined.

On the last day, we talked to the Manager and he refused to admit there was a problem and also refused us a complaints reference number. They were totally aware that I had been sick as we used the Hotel Doctor through reception. He was very rude and unproffesional even reducing me to tears at one point.

IF YOU FANCY A HOLIDAY STUCK IN YOUR ROOM FOR 5 DAYS, PAINFUL CRAMPS, AND SEVERE DIAREHEA, THEN THIS IS THE HOLIDAY FOR YOU.

4 Thank shaz2825
scotland
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Unfortunately 3 of the four of us have been very unwell. Husband and eldest son started diarrhoea and nausea 2 days after arriving. We got back last Friday and on Saturday morning i started too and today is the first I have surfaced other than the run to the toilet. Awaiting lab results!
As we understand it there were others in the hotel in the same boat so to speak indeed alot worse as they apparently ended up on IV fluids.

The hotel well just spotless and lovely. Our transfer took a good hour and a half anyway and we thanked our lucky stars we were not getting off at any of the other drops bar one which i think was the alternative 5 star in the surrounding area.

Food well we never ate anywhere else and the choice was amazing . My husband and oldest boy lived on melon and water however so it has somewhat coloured our view on returning to Turkey however I think in fairness this could happen on any holiday in any country. It just hasnt happened to us before in all the trips abroad but then we may just have been lucky.

We ventured out of the complex only two or three times, - in my view it was an eye opener but then Iv'e never been to Turkey before. Inside the complex which had security staff was perfection you walked beyond the enterance and in my view it was like a Shanti town.

Bungalow units are just beautiful with mini fridge and bottled watered replaced daily.

In my view I thought the entertainment equated with that I have seen at school concerts.
I think im correct in saying its an inhouse team. Not for us. The belly dancer was good but then a little belly dancing for us goes along way. There were however many who appeared to really enjoy the entertainment (lots of Turkish) staying. It did'nt bother us too much as it was just a week and to be honest 2 in the party were not really up to late nights once the stomach cramps and toilet runs started.

Upside two boys delighted with cheap jeans and t-shirts which we bought just down the road. I had'nt experienced before just how keen they are for you to "come in and look".
Dare you say you like something or show too much interest, - not too sure if the Turkish know the phrase to browse if our expereince is anything to go by. We found one shop actually the nearest to the hotel and the girl in there was quietly attentive but not OTT so I made a point of buying everything there.

Oh yes the return flight, well the cafes at the airport. £5 I was asked for a tin of coke. Not a typo yes i mean £. I went to put it back and he said "How much you have". I showed him I had more than enough to pay for it. I would rather have died of dehydration that give him £5 for a can of coke. We bought two cheese toasties meals that came with a portion of chips and a drink, - it was certainly over £20 and if i remember correctly possibly nearer £23.

2 Thank scottishfamily_8