“crap holiday dont bother booking your be disappointed! very honest review”

Hotel Esra and Family Suites
Ranked #1 of 46 Speciality Lodging in Didim
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I have just returned from the esra apartments today, and after reading the many good reviews on here i am very disappointed and upset that i choose this hotel for me and my family to stay in. it is SO not worth the money, i paid half board and got nothing for it and had to eat out most of the time, it is not what i consider half board and you have to remind the waiters constantly of your room number and they make you feel lowest of the low, i have a 2 year old child and am so upset how he was treated by other people at the hotel, i am very proud to be british but the people who were there while i was there i was so ashamed of the way they behaved and made us look. one big family in particular think they owned the hotel and hogged the pool and the only shallow area my son could swim in they decided to play volleyball all day so no way he could go in there had to keep him up in the room because they were so selfish, all of them knew each other and made the other guests ie. us make us feel we were in their way, the kids are disrespectful and shoved my child out of the way in the pool, and when i took him up the slides they nearly knocked us down the stairs and blocked my acess to the lift and kept standing outside when i came to get out and wanted to break the lift...people cant control their children i was so shocked!!. tried to get the lift with my baby in the buggy and people do not have the manners to walk up and down some stairs and are very lazy, the lift is very small and could only fit me and my baby in and found it so frustrating that i couldnt access the lift most of the time and had to carry my buggy down the stairs as people did not offer to walk down from the second floor it was ridiculous....

STAFF: they only care about you if you eat there regulary and are what i call clinky ie.if you have been to the esra more then once your worshipped by the staff, they do not offer you a drink majority of the time, make sarcastic
comments when i paid half board, do not smile and make you feel unwelcome there. make you wait ages for the bill and are generally unfriendly and ignorant.

RECEPTIONIST- lady was very rude and stuck up, do not understand a word im saying,

IT IS FULL OF JEREMY KYLE CONTESTANTS AS ANOTHER REVIEW HAS SAID :) dont book here unless you fancy being around selfish and lazy people.

FOOD: considering i paid half board was expecting more then what i got. did not even offer orange juice to me or my child as a option for breakfast, the only drink they offer with the half board is tea....and water in the evening..disgraceful. breakfast is turkish breakfast or cornflakes, they give you toast full, drinks and whatever else is for breakfast is all extra price, and as a paying guest i deserved more....dinner was disgraceful, only allowed what they want you to eat and if you dont like what they offer..tough.. LOL. again no fizzy drink or beverage offered with the half board for dinner only water...BASIC and CRAP.
Paid for a meal there a couple of times but food is not worth it, boring and do not offer ketchup or sauces and not very nice, got food poisioning loads.
GO TO DOLPHIN SQUARE. FOOD IS NICE, NIGELS IN PARTICULAR...YUM. See even though i paid half board i ate out every night and had no money left because of it...could not even buy gifts for friends.

POOL; was decent enough and clean but not very suitable for babys or toddlers, no shallow depth...etc. but they have a baby pool, my toddler didnt use it much due to the size it was small and very unsafe didnt have a gate around it and was close to the big pool with no shallow depth so very unsafe.good for big kids.

SLIDES;
on 11, 1 and 3 and good slides, very fun, only thing we enjoyed, only one man supervised though and it is a bit unsafe as noone fellowed the rules and went down in pairs of kids and i see kids under 10 going on and this was apparently not allowed. the rules at the esra went to the pot as noone follows the rules. also it says not allowed to put towells on sunbeds before 9 but i see people leaving towells from night before, it says they will be taken away, again i see no evidence of this as towells were not taken away, but getting a sunbed is no problem any time of day...

ENTERTAINMENT:
was ok, plenty on, not my cup of tea, went to karaoke night to find at 11 it had been cancelled, noone told us this, and wasted our night waiting, lol, but there is a man (dont no his name) speaks perfect english and he is really good and runs the entertainment, like their bbq night, only decent meal i had at the esra, food was lovely that day so i recommend going, rather go there then sky bar as sky bar have the same thing on every night and thats so boring.

MAIDS: can honestly say the maid i had was excellent, came every day, emptied bins, clean toilet and floors, made beds and cleaned, i even tipped her because she was so friendly and one of the nicest people i saw working at the esra

HAIRDRESSER: NOT OPEN AT THE TIMES STATED but i had a lovely pedicure there so cant complain, the lady who does it is very nice but personally think you could find cheaper out there but still nicely done and professional...

PHOTOGRAPHER: lovely guy, took some lovely pics of me and my son and partner so very happy with that and they are so cheap for the photos and professional done, great perk of
the holiday....

DOLPHIN SQUARE QUITE A WAY AWAY IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN, WOULDNT MIND THE WALK DOWN HAD I NOT HAD KIDS BUT CAN GET VERY HOT PUSHING BUGGY AND THE BEACH IS NOT IDEAL FOR CHILDREN, VERY DIRTY

overall do not stay at esra, my sister was staying at mutlu apartments very smaller hotel with decent size pool and great baby pool,but nicely run and friendly and we were more welcome there then we ever were at the esra so i recomend there definately....

all i want to say is thank you to the horrible people who stayed at the hotel from 1st - 13th sept you went home 12th at 10 pm at night thanks for ruining my familys holiday and making my sons stay unbearable. and to the waiters who let them rule the roost and get away with it LOSER!!!!!

Room Tip: choose slide side to stay, its much quieter in the evening
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank jess b

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Having returned from Turkey on 12th August after our first visit to Turkey - I have to say we really enjoyed it. (Wrote this review when we got back, forgot to post it...)

The Esra apartments are smashing, great places and ideally located. Away from the busy town centre, and only a short 10 min walk away.

We arrived at 1am and was welcomed at Reception with a friendly member of staff who booked us in. The room was allot better than we had expected - ideal for our sort of holiday. The maid came every day to make beds, empty bins etc and every three days to change towels. The floor was cleaned every three days as well.

We ate at the hotel a few times, we did the BBQ and their Turkish night. The BBQ was great (we did have to wait a bit for our starters) and the Turkish night was also good, but sadly slightly let down by the main course. You could pay in £ for both these set nights. We had breakfast a few times at the hotel and also lunch. The Pizza's are lovely - you must try.

We ate out at the following Restaurants.

Skybar - Great place, ate here twice for evening meal. Staff make you feel very welcome and the food is amazing.
Casserole - Had breakfast here most days as quite cheap (Full English for 5TL were at Esra is was 8.50TL). We had evening meal here as well which again was really good, great service and even got a free shot at the end of the night.
Ali G - Good old Ali G's. Has moved from where it used to be (is now next to Casserole on way to beach). Ali is great, really makes you feel welcome and nothing is to much trouble. Another great night was had here.
Nigels - On the sea front in town, food was OK and the service was a bit iffy - the owner kept asking if our children wanted to play with his kids - ummm, no thanks we are having a meal??? But the food was good.
A Touch of Class - Otherside of Altinkum, but we used the free car service. Was prompt on picking us up, made to feel welcome and once again the food was very good. We decided to walk back after and look in a few shops - but they did offer to take us back.

We tried Zanzibar, but left after a drink. We wanted Pizza's but they dont do Pizza's and they order from Domino's - the service was poor and the waiter was quite rude when we decided to leave. However I have read many good reviews of the place, but sadly on our visit it was not.

We did a Boat Trip (One Minute boat) which was very good - very much recommended and also a Jeep safari booked through Zazatours. The safari itself was ok, the jeep not, I was surprised it made it. But a good day was had for sure.

Visited the Didim Water Park. Had a great time there. Again heard reviews saying it was rubbish/dangerous there - people getting burnt on the slides, but if you ride the slides like you should do and not messing around you will be fine. We had a great day out there and would have made two trips if time allowed.

ATM's in resort (HSBC) dispense £s as well as TL. We took £100 out and was charged £2 for doing so, boat trip, Safari etc all take Sterling as payment.

Finally going back to Esra. We would come back again next year - no questions asked. The bad comments that others have put, in my opinion and one offs. I found the staff helpful when you needed them. They did not bother you if you did not want anything etc. Slides on three times a day - 11, 1 and 3. For 30 mins a time. Long enough as kids start to get bored after a while. They did quiz nights, children's games, circus shows, break dancing, syncro swimming - loads of things in the evening.

Dont use the Market at the hotel - go across the road to Migros (open early till 11pm).

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the side rooms if you poss can.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Damian P
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I'm amazed by some of the recent reviews of the Ezra because last August (2010) it was hardly 3 Star, let alone 'excellent'! So does this mean that now the Reception staff are pleasant, the Slide Pool is clean, there are no complaints re food, the A/C is free (as it should be and is in superior hotels!) and The Lounge Lizard aka Jason remains sacked?!!

There are many nicer parts of Turkey and hotels to visit and I would not recommend Altinkum or Ezra to anyone. Even the Tourist Info staff told us that lol!!!

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank Hoppapod
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the Esra from the 1st of September till the 8th, we loved every minute of it! The apartment was a brilliant size for the 2 of us, we were facing the pool from the balcony and from the bedroom we could see Zanzi bar and sky bar... Although this got a little bit noisy on a night we managed to sleep perfectly well.
From the 1st day we where made to feel very welcome in the hotel and all of the staff were fantastic! The service was brilliant and the food was lovely, we tried several places in dolphin square to eat, but definitely preferred the food from the esra.
Dolphin square is around a 10 min strol from the hotel although it is up hill walking back.
We will def go back to the Esra again regardless of it going all inclusive next year, as staff, entertainment, pool, facilities were all fantastic and would def recommend Esra.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Beth-wardle
Reviewed 11 September 2011

When we first arrived at esra it was 3am in the morning and we had 5 suitcases, a prm and 3 sleeping kiddies, when we approached the reception the receptionist was not helpful and had a face on her, they handed the room keys for us and said room 225 that was all, so we asked what floor was that on and the receptionist jst said 2nd floor, i would of thought they wouuld of been abit more helpful especially when they could see we were struggling.
When getting in the lift we could only fit 2 suitcases at any one time so i had to do several trips, they should really have someone on hand to help you out because first impressions count and it would go along way.
On entering the room it was basic but we expected it with being self catering, the maids service was good and i was given clean towels on a daily basis as i left my dirty ones on the floor near the front door so they knew that i needed clean ones, the beds were changed every other day and made on a daily basis.
The food was good at esra but it took a few days for the waiters to talk to you, we ate in esra through the day and went out for a evening meal and a walk down on the front. Ali g is to much all he does is talk obseen, and even make's obseen gestures towards women, even if you have male company with you which i found dis-respectful. If you want to try a restaurant i would reccomend family room, fantastic service and great food as well as cheap.
If your also gonna book a excursion, ie Waterpark etc book through galaxy travel down on the front as you pay half the price as you would if you book through esra, we did it and went to adaland were the dolphin park is but if you want to swim with dolphins, book it as soon as you go into the waterpark as it has time slots and they sell out fast.
If your going on a boat go on taffys new boat as you can go to the market on a friday and have a really good barter, just be careful cause its really busy, you also go to a restaurant which is included in the price and you can choose meatballs, fish, chicken, i would recommend the fish as its delicious.
We will not be going back to esra but would definatly go back to turkey simply because it goes all inclusive next year, the weather is gorgeous and the town alitinkum has plenty to offer.

Room Tip: Try Family Room restaurant, simply gorgeous food and excellent service !!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank laura300981
Reviewed 8 September 2011

This was our first time in Turkey and we were abit unsure of what to expect. I have read some reviews saying its like "Jeremy Kyle", "Waiters are perverts", but there was 9 of us including an 18 year old attractive blonde, the waiters were nothing but a laugh with her and all of us, The rooms were alot better than we expected but i would say to ask for a room that over looks the water slides as the other side did seem noisier . The food was nice, i would recommend the Turkish bath with Mehmet, he is a great friendly chap who will always stop for a chat, Alex, JJ, Chris and smiler were all nice lads and made us very welcome. Altinkum itself is alot bigger than we thought and the Esra is ideally located away from the hussle but not to far to walk, We didnt enjoy Sky bar but we did Zansi bar, staff great , Ali G made us very welcome , The best meal we had was in the Casserole Bar which is left at the top of the road and then right , Liz the owner made us welcome as did the manager Sherin and the waiters Jack and Rio, the food was amazing , reasonably priced and of a very high quality, im not sure if i would go to the Esra if it goes all inclusive but defo back to the resort , so to anyone unsure ignore the poor reviews, as the saying "you pay for what you get " so if you want 5 * then pay for it

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank caroline w
Reviewed 3 September 2011

in note to the people saying its full of Jeremy Kyle contestants get bent. We were there the same time as you and all you did was moan, you suggested that everyone there was uneducated but in fact if you check your spelling then it is you my friend that is uneducated.

review from someone with an education: place is fab, basic but fab. staff fab, location fab, food fab, pool fab I am guessing you see a theme. My kids 12 and 10 loved the place as did I.
The food was the best I've ever tasted abroad. and I am ready to book all inclusive as i type, Memhet (Turkish bath) was one of the most amiable people I have ever met. Alex and JJ kept my kids amused as I read a book by the pool and Memhet (Teacher) kept us amused in the evenings, so to those who give this a bad rating I laugh in your face. This is one of the best places I have stayed and my children are begging to back next year and this is one promise I am willing to fulfill, see you next year Esra from someone who is NOT a Jeremy Kyle contestant

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family