“Thoroughly enjoyed our stay..we will be back!”
Review of Hedley House

Hedley House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Smith's Cove
Reviewed 22 August 2011

What a warm and welcoming place to stay! We found the cottages to be very clean, spacious,and comfortable. With a beautiful view of the cove and the changing tides we enjoyed the early mornings and sunsets. The boys had fun exploring the shoreline looking for the tiny crabs. With my husband I on our quest for that perfect piece of driftwood, shells and glass we were not disappointed. Included with your stay.. a delicous continental breakfast with fresh baked blueberry or cranberry muffins and many other items. I would have to say that one of the best things about Hedley House would be Joanne, and her husband Albert. Very friendly and hardworking! We had the pleasure of enjoying a sing along 1st with another guest family and our two hosts, later with a couple of other guests..Met some wonderful people staying there and have built new friendships.. Such a wonderful atmosphere. Thankyou Joanne , Albert for adding so much to our vacation..and we will be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank KarenHallett

Reviewed 17 August 2011

From the moment we drove up to Hedley House, it had a quaint, cozy charm about it. The main house is elegant and the gardens are spectacular. No, the Inn is not new & you are paying for The Ritz! there is great value and there is something about the rustic charm that is appealing and has so much character. The rooms were clean and the private decks offer the best view of the harbour possible. the local fishery sells fresh seafood and the hot plates and tools provided in the rooms were enough to cook ourselves a feast every night of our stay! Our young son had a wonderful time catching little green crabs along the shoreline in front of the inn when the tide was low. One morning we woke to a hummingbird buzzing right in front of our window, as if to say 'good morning'...but above and beyond what made this place memorable was our Host Joanne. :) This woman is the 'salt of the earth' and did everything to make sure we were comfortable and enjoyed our visit. I am not sure the woman sleeps really?? to do everything she seems to do there. She is a talented singer and musician, and will sing for you to start your day. I think the world is a better place because of people like Joanne, it not only made our stay, but part of our memory of our vacation. Thank you Joanne :)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer P
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary at Hedley House and loved our stay.
The motel is on a picturesque piece of land overlooking the Bay of Fundy...the gardens are beautiful with many shrubs and flowers at every turn. The property has a well cared for appearance with well nurtured gardens and many places to sit and enjoy the view.
Joanne, the manager, was very welcoming and even took the extra step of placing a bouquet of fresh flowers (including roses) in our room since it was our anniversary...and made fresh blueberry muffins for breakfast the morning we were leaving!
Each motel unit has a cozy deck where you can sit back, relax and enjoy the spectacular view, watch the birds flitting about and appreciate all that nature has to offer. We especially enjoyed the beautiful sunset!
Behind the motel is a stairway leading down to the beach where you can walk and pick up shells and ocean glass...a very relaxing place to stay!
We will definitely visit Hedley House...and Joanne...again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I came to Nova Scotia looking for my Acadian roots and came across Hedley House Motel in Smith's Cove, while visiting the Digby area. The beds were comfortable, the private decks overlook a sandy tidal beach, there are lots of beautiful scrubs and flowers and we were even treated to some Acadian music while we were there. We would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Let me start by saying that Joanne went out of her way to accommodate our early departure to catch the ferry, by ensuring we got breakfast at 6:30. We really appreciated it.
We had spent the prior night at Hillsdale House in Annapolis Royal, which is a fantastic place and definitely worth it's 4 star rating. I saw that Hedley House was also rated the same but my expectations were not met. The bathroom was newer, albeit extremely cramped, but sadly, the house and cottages look old and tired, I know the house is being painted, but I didn't signs of updates to the cottages. The photos on the web site were taken some time ago and no longer reflect reality. While the beds were clean, 4 star rating is too high - especially as Hillsdale was only $20 s night more!!

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Papagaaidq
Reviewed 24 November 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at the historic Hedley House for two nights. It is a fantastic place at a fantastic price! Joanne & Albert are warm and friendly innkeepers of the old-school variety, and a real credit to Nova Scotian hospitality. Joanne sets a marvellous board for breakfast (included in price of room!) of delicious homemade goodies, and she even offered to cook me dinner too! The motel is very well kept, quaintly retro yet up-to-date too. The grounds are immaculately kept, full of beautiful flowers even in October, and the location is picturesque, quiet and easy driving distance for exploring the town of Digby, the neck, Annapolis Royal, Port Royal and Victoria Harbour, all of which I did! A strong storm was raging one night during my stay there but I was warm and cozy in my clean & comfortable room (#7); it was a memorable! All-in-all a great stay, a great value and I will DEFINATELY be back to the Hedley House as often as I can, & for a longer stay next time. Thanks Joanne!

Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 September 2010

My friend and I stayed two nights with our two American Cocker Spaniels and were very pleased with the accommodations, continental breakfast and grounds. The manager made us feel at home and even beautifully played the guitar and sang to us before we checked out . Hope to bring my family next summer.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2 mi away
Dockside Suites
Dockside Suites
#1 of 8 in Digby

Been to Hedley House? Share your experiences!