“World Cup & platters!”

The Chef Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Martin Camilleri - Chef Padron and TV personality, brings a wealth of experience to the delicious food served at The Chef. Varied menu including vegetarian and gluten-free dishes.
Naxxar, Malta
“World Cup & platters!”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Went twice in a week and on both occasions I couldn't resist not going for Martin's salumi and aged cheeses platters. They're to die for! Started off with an epic aperol spritz and finished off with wine. Very good wine list too. Thumbs up chef!

1 Thank danscib1983

• Polish first
  • Slovak first
Saint Julian's, Malta
“A great experience all round - have returned there several times”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

As a local who has been to several restaurants on the Island I tend to disagree that this restaurant is overpriced. I have had the opportunity to dine there several times and the service and price has never failed to impress. My first comment is that the restaurant sits at the edge of one of the most beautiful bays in Malta, making the dining experience relaxing and idyllic. Secondly we have always found ourselves spoilt for choice of local fresh fish and meats and therefore one is to expect that the prices are at times a little on the high side, although we have been The Chef on many family occasions and the prices were always very reasonable and within budget. My final comment goes towards the staff - yes it is true that at times it they are busy but we have always been provided with the utmost and when we had to wait they offered drinks on the house.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank kolinu
London, United Kingdom
“Terrible service”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Went to The Chef with my husband as it was coming close to the end of our holiday and we wanted to treat ourselves to a nice meal. From the moment we arrived I got a bad vibe from the head waiter. He would only address my husband, even when I asked him something directly he would not reply to me.
The service was atrocious. We waited an hour for our main courses and despite several attempts to catch someone's eye all of the wait staff were avoiding our table. Eventually I went to the bar to speak with the head waiter myself - when I asked how much longer our food would be he pushed past me and went to the table to speak with my husband. He made up some excuse about it being his fault but the food still hadn't arrived 10 minutes later so we left.
I would not recommend this restaurant. The service is terrible and the starters which we had were only ok (beef carpaccio & red snapper fish cakes). The only positive about this restaurant was the view over the bay.

• Visited June 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The other reviews are right. But...”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I visited Malta at the beginning of this year, for me it wasn't a great stay, starting from the Maltese buses and the flat that I rented for 3 weeks in Xemxija that was in terrible conditions.

Anyway I am not here to comment about that, I am here to comment about the restaurant at which I went in the last evening of staying in Malta.

I decided to post my dining experience now just because a friend is going to visit Malta and she asked me for my impressions, so instead of helping just her, I will try and help all of you.

The quality of the food was ok, the service was decent, and the restaurant looked clean enough in the dim evening light. Just as the other people are saying in the comments, but.... for me the dining experience was an overpriced one, for the money that they ask you dont get enough, I wanted to fight the bill but it was the last evening before going back to London and all I wanted was just to get out of there.

Final note, food and service are ok, but nothing out of this world, and when you ask for the bill also ask for a menu so you can double check yourself what are you paying.

I just hope the restaurant management knows about TripAdviser and they check what people are writing here, but in a country as Malta all the locals just rely in making a living from ripping off tourists, that includes everything from the transport, renting space and dining experience, if you are a foreigner you pay more then a local... I guess they don't want us coming back there.

• Visited March 2014
Wishaw, United Kingdom
“Excellent food,service,atmosphere”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed at the ambassador hotel had the chef restaurant right on the doorstep eat there morning noon and night menu excellent staff absolutely fantastic especially William whom nothing was too much bother

• Visited June 2014