“classical Vittorian style 5***** Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa

Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Anton
Floridia, Italy
“classical Vittorian style 5***** Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

it was the first time that I stay in this hotel in Malta, normally I stay in the hotels in the bay during my business trip.
the hotel is the classical vittorian style building with a very nice garden, with internal SPA and external pool. all the personnel from receptionist up to waiters and all others have a very nice professional approach. the room is large and well furnished, in coherence with the whole classical style. cleanless is good and in all the hotel you are surraunded of good fragrances.
inside there are different restaurant I was for the dinner in the summer kitchen, the waitress Greta, a fetching little face with a dazzling smile, that improve my spirit after a long and stuffy working day. the food in my opinion need to be improved respect to the rest of other services, the octopus was not bad but need a good presentation and the pizza and ice cream require a global improvement in general. for the breakfast the restautrant is wide and bright, a large selection of food is present but the croissant, muffins and other pastries were at very low level up to be to uneatable. anyway due to the large selection you havo no risk to stay hungry. reception and corsierge at top level.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David W, General Manager at Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Corinthia Palace Hotel & SPA for your Business trip, and for taking time to share your views about us on TripAdvisor following your recent stay.

We are sincerely glad to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you decide to visit Malta again on business or leisure, so that I can make the necessary arrangements for your next stay. My email is david.woodward@corinthia.com.

David Woodward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Southern England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were very happy staying at this hotel. It has everything you could reasonably want for a short break in Malta and the quality was very good overall (except for one issue I will deal with later in my review).

For us the location was ideal as it is set well away from all the typical tourist areas in between what are apparently known as the ‘3 villages’- do take an hour to go and explore around this residential area if you have a chance as the villages are very pretty and very Maltese with attractive churches, winding streets and very upper-middle class mansion houses. There are also some nice botanical gardens close by with play areas for children. There are a couple of restaurants a very short walk outside the hotel complex (we tried one where the food and ambiance were lovely but the service dreadful), but this is not a built up area with a lot of dining options. I think a lot of people eat at the hotel. What little we did try on-site (from the pool menu) was really very good- a halloumi salad, croquettes and some very tasty dips with pitta. I would have liked to sample more.

The slight remoteness from a large town doesn’t matter though, because access into St Julian’s for evening entertainment and restaurants is easy and convenient via the bus the hotel puts on, and takes you on a scenic route along the coast via Sliema (a shopping area where you can asked to be dropped- we didn’t bother as it looked like British high street shops).

But please do be aware that firstly this is a shuttle bus between their two hotels, so does not drop you in the centre of St Julian’s. It drops you outside a couple of very nice restaurants with attractive sea views, but not at the main popular harbour area which is a good 15 minute walk away. Plus, as the bus is a 14 seater with a very limited fixed timetable, you definitely need to book in advance. We did not get seats on the bus the first day we arrived and had to take a 20 euro taxi instead, so a round trip of over 40 euros. As every seat on the bus was full every time we used it, I really do think they need to increase the timetable and make it clearer on their publicity material that transport is not necessarily included.

We also took the morning bus to Valetta, which was a quick and easy journey to the must-see capital city and had enough time to see most of it before the afternoon departure. If you hired a car you could see a lot more of Malta than we were able to in just 4 days, but my top tip would be Mdina- a stunning walled city only 4 k away from this hotel, so either a taxi ride or a walk.

Reception areas were attractive and there seems to be a number of quite grand function rooms. There is a comfortable seating area within sight of the bus and any taxis you might have ordered. We had cocktails one night in the Rickshaw bar and thought they were good- certainly quite strong. This wouldn’t be the place to come for sugary cocktails, as the flavours were more tart. The bar leads to a nice modern-looking outside lounge area where there is no pressure to order anything if you just want some air before getting to bed. Easily accessible and free wifi throughout the hotel was very much appreciated.

The rooms were traditional, spacious and well equipped. We had a decent sized balcony with a view into the gardens and over the street. As there are chairs, you could sit outside with a drink if you wished. Our only quibble was the hairdryer, which was fixed to the bathroom wall and very slow- you will know the type! If you have thick hair, it’s next to useless, so bring your own. They supply Espa branded toiletries which were lovely, especially the cedarwood soap. Beds were comfortable with huge downy pillows and quality white linen.

We were impressed with the pool areas- especially the main pool area- they were beautifully designed and well planned out. The ‘pups’ pool’ is a smaller circular plunge pool where the water is very shallow- apparently designated for ‘pampered pooches’ to wander around, although we only saw one spaniel in residence. Lots of sunbeds everywhere. Towels are supplied and there is no limit or restriction.

There is also a ‘spa’ block which includes a Jacuzzi, an indoor pool and upstairs a gym. The gym is more than adequate for serious training- there are treadmills, a few other cardio machines, fixed weight machines, a proper free weights area, as well as a wooden floored room with mats and medicine balls. It is pleasantly air conditioned which makes it quite a draw on a hot day. Plenty of changing areas.

Most of the Reception staff were nice enough, though not particularly warm. There was a friendly (Mancunian) English waiter by the pool who did an efficient job but a couple of pretty hapless Maltese lads who didn’t seem to have a clue. Service is extraordinarily slow (don’t be surprised if a couple of cokes take half an hour to arrive and food a lot longer), but this does seem to be typical of Malta so this hotel may not be unusual. I usually preferred to carry over my own drinks after ordering them from the bar. The breakfast staff were generally much quicker. The porter, however, was an absolutely delightful man who never stopped smiling and he is the best member of staff this hotel has- I wish I’d asked his name but can say he was an more ‘mature’ member of staff.

Breakfast was plentiful and served until 10am, though on Sunday morning they seemed happy to accommodate a few latecomers. There is a selection to suit anyone and it includes: a fried/hot/’English breakfast’ section; fresh Maltese bread (very, very good, as it is everywhere on the island); soft boiled eggs; a few pastries/croissants; 3 flavours of mini muffins (chocolate nice and slightly salty, red really unpleasant, vanilla we didn’t try!); yoghurt pots (of a local brand, including some diet varieties); fruit; cereals; dried fruits; a couple of juices; a decent salad bar (which was my favourite choice) with mozzarella pearls and rocket and chunky local tomatoes, olives, capers and cheeses. Every day they varied it a bit- one day we had some lovely dried strawberries, another day they served some miniature Maltese pastries closer really to a biscuit than a pastry with a fig or pistachio filling. I don’t think anyone could complain. Personally I am always irritated that you can’t just serve yourself some hot water for herbal tea rather than wait for the waiter to faff around, but that may just be me. I also wished you could have a decent sized glass of water rather than a thimbleful or having to take 4 separate glasses to your table, but I think it’s common that hotels do this to stop guests over-serving the orange juice.

For anyone who has reached the end of this review, much as I hate to close on a bad note, we did have a serious security breach whereby the cleaners left our door open and very obviously on the latch for over 4 hours one afternoon. I was pretty horrified to think that anyone could have come in and stolen my expensive camera, passport, jewellery etc. Luckily nothing had been taken but we may have been lucky that our room was at the very end of a corridor where few guests passed by. I complained and a bottle of Prosecco appeared in our room. Not much was said about it, but I do hope that they take this issue seriously- it was simply not acceptable. A less fair reviewer might have given this hotel a one star as a result and drawn attention to the theft risk in the title but I am giving them the benefit of my generosity!

Other than that, we had a very enjoyable stay and would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rubiachica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful hotel. My girlfriend and I absolutely loved every single minute of our stay.....thank you.

It was our first holiday together and one we will look back on with real fondness.

All of the staff made us feel at home from the very first minute and the concierge were the best I've come across.

Poolside was absolutely wonderful -beer and food by the pool perhaps a little pricy but you can't have everything!

Room was massive and bathroom spotless too.

Thank you!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Yiddo14
Dear Guest,

We have read your review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to the Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa and thank you most sincerely for your kind comments.

My team and I are indeed delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit and that we helped to make your stay with us a lovely one.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future and do send me an email on david.woodward@corinthia.com should you require any assistance.

Thank you once again.
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel was classed as a 5 star and did have some nice touches which made it feel a bit more special but I think if you have stayed in a range of hotels it probably isn't top 5 star as is a bit dated and the rooms could be doing with updating in particular doors to balcony and bathroom.

HOWEVER.....saying all that the hotel was lovely and we had a very pleasant stay. We really couldn't fault it. Staff were helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Martin the concierge was particularly friendly and helpful. The room was big and had everything you needed and air con was great. The balcony was nice although with such a nice pool area we hardly used it!!!!

We had breakfast each morning. Lovely selection, everything replenished quickly and the room for breakfast is lovely and airy. We are in the Rickshaw and Summer kitchen restaurants. Both were very nice but were quite pricey but this is to be expected from hotel restaurants.

The location was very convenient for Valletta and Mdina with a bus going from just outside hotel. It was also only a short walk to a bus which goes to Gozo boat terminal. However it was slightly remote and didn't have many bars or restaurants near. The hotel shuttle to St Juliens was handy.

All in all a lovely stay. If you are looking for somewhere to relax and take it easy would recommend.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ScotlandLJane
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments which we have received through Trip Advisor following your stay at the Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa.

We are so happy to note that you found the atmosphere, our hotel facilities,location and the service given by all members especially Martin so impressive and to your entire satisfaction.

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future. Should you be returning to our hotel, please email me on david.woodward@corinthia.com

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

The most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed in. The smell when you walk in immediately relaxes you. The service is impeccable. My husband had an accident and was in a wheelchair and they went out of their way to make sure he was comfortable. Best value food the snacks in the bar and by the pool.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hilsnyc
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments which we have picked up through Trip Advisor following your stay at the Corinthia Palace Hotel.

It is always pleasing to get such positive feedback from guests who have experienced our facilities and services, and we are delighted that we helped to make your stay with us comfortable and relaxing one.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, and in the meantime, thank you again for taking the time to post your comments. Please do not hesitate to contact me on david.woodward@corinthia.com should you wish to come back.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Having spent a week in Gozo scuba diving we needed a week of rest and relaxation and found it at this hotel. The staff are attentive, polite and friendly. Anything we needed to know of the area we asked Martin, the concierge, he was very helpful and knowledgeable and an asset to this hotel. The facilities are good, the pools and restaurants, my only criticism is the Villa Corinthia restaurant, the setting of the restaurant is lovely and the food we had was good, but the menu is small and does not change at all during the week, if it had we may have eaten here again, but after 2 evenings we had exhausted our choice. Access to Valetta (bus station) and Mdina is very easy from the hotel, the local bus stop is a five minute walk from the hotel and we made frequent use of the buses. This is a great hotel if you just want to spend the week by the pool or if you want to get around and see the sights of Malta.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Julie T
David W, General Manager at Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Corinthia Palace Hotel for your recent stay and for taking the time to post your experience on Trip Advisor.

It is a particularly warming experience to receive comments such as yours, and gratifying to know that you were pleased with our efforts to provide superior service, your constructive comment towards our ‘Villa Corinthia’ has been noted, and we are more than happy to let you know, that now we have a new Menu available.

We are glad to have the opportunity of welcome you back in the near future. Please drop me an e-mail on david.woodward@corinthia.com should any assistance be required.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

This hotel is just excellent high quality and service all under one roof. The rooms are spacious and fully air conditioned. The bed was outstandingly comfortable and the service attentive and friendly.
The pool area is exceptional and very inviting.
This is a special treat venue, as it is a 5 star hotel the bar prices match its status, but local cafes can be found a short walk away.
Do visit the gardens just outside the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank FirmfriendsLondon
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your complimentary comments which we have received through Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa.

We are glad to note that the hotel’s facilities in particular Pool areas and rooms, ambience and service were to your satisfaction.

It is indeed pleasing to get such positive feedback from guests who have experienced our hotel.

I hope that you return in the near future and when you have decided on dates, please do email me on: david.woodward@corinthia.com.

Thank you once again.

Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#4 of 13 in Valletta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,629 reviews

Been to Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!