“NOT a 5* hotel....”

Corinthia Palace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Anton
Reviewed 14 August 2014

When we first arrived we were extremely disappointed with the view from our room which was of a large flat roof, not "a view of the hotel’s beautiful gardens" as we were promised. We complained and were moved the next day. Our new room overlooked the hotel bar and also a noisy road. The hotel also appeared to be on a flight path.

The rooms are generally in need of updating. They looked shabby and tired. In our room the bathroom door would not shut or lock, we had to wedge it shut with the bin. Towels were old and the drains smelt terribly.

Our biggest issue was with the number of unruly children at this hotel. We chose this hotel on the basis that it would be a "great relaxing spa break and Idyllic Maltese escape" and were extremely disappointed by the number of children running around, generally being disruptive, loud and whose parents didn't seem to care. At one point guests on the sun bed next to us changed their child's nappy on the sun bed and allowed their other two children to use their potties poolside. Not exactly what we had in mind for a 5* star tranquil break. We complained to management who explained that this was because the hotel was busy. I did however expect for him to monitor this is the future and suggest that staff ask guests to use appropriate changing facilities and generally ask their kids to be respectful of other guests. Out of the 7 days, we only experienced 1 quiet/peaceful day by the pool. To add to this, one evening when we returned to our room for a pre-dinner nap, the hotel was hosting a child's party. The music was incredibly loud as was the shrieking voice of the host. This is not what I would expect from a 5* hotel.

In addition, the poolside bar was mediocre, as was the food. We asked for a cocktail which was not on the menu and were told that we could not have it (even though we had it the night before in the hotel bar).

A huge disappointment. We will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rosie598
David W, General Manager at Corinthia Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments which we have received through Trip Advisor following your 1 week stay at the Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa.

We sincerely regret to note that you were dissatisfied with some of our facilities and services and do please accept our sincere apologies for these shortcomings.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would kindly send me an email on david.woodward@corinthia.com with a contact telephone number on which I can reach you and inform me of the day time that would be the most convenient for you.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Thanks to all the staff for whom nothing was too much trouble. Like to mention Chantalle in reception, Mario the mini-bus driver, Lizio in the bar (sorry if I haven't spelt your name correctly) and Victoria at the pool bar.

Rickshaw was very good. I have to say that the main restaurant lacked atmosphere, perhaps because of the lack of diners because of the prices in the restaurant. Food was of good quality and my wife's steak delicious. Perhaps I chose badly, but though excellent, about EUR24 for four prawns was excessive for a main course. Being picky, the service in the pool area for drinks was slow at times and a couple of times I had to track down a waiter to order a drink.

Other than this, recommended and we will return. 10 times better than their sister hotel at St. George's Bay. It is very well placed to go where ever you want to and recommend hiring a car to get the best from the island.

Room Tip: Some rooms with a garden view need you to lean dangerously over the balcony to see much of the garde...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
David W, General Manager at Corinthia Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments which we have received through Trip Advisor following your stay at the Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa.

We are so happy to note that you found the atmosphere, our hotel facilities, location and the service given by all members especially Chantelle, Mario, Victoria and Lizio so impressive and to your entire satisfaction. Nevertheless your comments towards prices at Villa Corinthia and service by the pool area have been noted and passed on to our Management.

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future. Should you be returning to our hotel, please email me on david.woodward@corinthia.com

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My family and I have just returned from a lovely 14 day holiday to Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa while also visiting many of the amazing historical sites around Malta.

I have to admit I stumbled upon the reviews on trip advisor for the Corinthia Palace by chance while searching the web for the music used in the gym for the duration of my stay (I know there was a slim possibility of finding it) but when I started to read through some of the more critical reviews left by people about their experiences during their stay I felt compelled to write my own review and put them to rights because every little thing I experienced, day in day out for 14 days from the moment I woke up to falling asleep at night was perfect (including the truly arctic air conditioning - invaluable). Every morning my family and I found ourselves yearning for the breakfast buffet ranging from the delicious dried strawberries, kronuts and ristretto coffee (which my father has now ordered to the house) to the unbelievably tasty hash browns. It was a very relaxing atmosphere for the morning especially as I am not a morning person and I did not get the sense that the staff we were rushing about uncontrollably - everything seemed to flow beautifully.

Every time we needed any help from the reception or the concierge everything was handled with the utmost respect and efficiency from getting restaurants booked or asking for information regarding sites around the island to ordering room service in the evenings.
Special mention has to go to Darlene at Reception whom I found so warm and friendly I could have sat talking to her for hours to the amazing Martin at Concierge whom my family and I got on so well with whose wit and humour is beyond compare. Both were lovely people who I hope I get the pleasure of seeing again next time I visit and I hope Martin has taken a trip on the supreme power boats to Comino by next time! He (Martin) also has some amazing recommendations for restaurants in Malta so that should be your first port of call if you are looking for places to eat - I cannot recommend enough the Rampila Restaurant in Valletta and the Medina Restaurant in Mdina, that coupled with the Rickshaw and Villa Corinthia in the hotel itself are undoubtedly the best set of restaurants I have ever had the honour of visiting.

When not visiting the historical sites around Malta we had pool days where we would relax all day around the hotel and would say we probably spent 7 days in total doing this, we never found finding a sun lounger to be an issue even for our family of 6 people so this was always a bonus, the staff working around the pool were always incredibly courteous (though I think sometimes this is down to how courteous and respectful you are towards the staff themselves which is I'm sure why some people have found them to be less so - there is nothing wrong with being respectful to others even if they are there to serve you) I would also like to mention Dean from behind the bar in this regard as I got to know him quite well and he was always extremely polite despite us being relatively the same age.

The hotel itself was beautiful, the building, the decor - everything, an extremely relaxing atmosphere and every time we had a big excursion out I found myself longing to get back to the hotel to relax for the evening before dinner. Attard itself is a beautiful village and the perfect quiet location for such a beautiful hotel.

The gym as well massively surpassed my expectations as I would have accepted one half that size but was so pleasantly surprised to see such a well equipped gym and used it as much as I could every day.

The last person I have to mention is Olena our housekeeper, who every day made our three rooms look spotless and welcoming to come back to and was generally a lovely friendly person, albeit all of the housekeepers I came across were very smiley and friendly but I got to know Olena a little bit and she was a joy to see every day.

I think I have covered everything and hope that this gives some useful insight to people who read these reviews and might otherwise be put off by some of the more negative comments especially those wondering how people could stay for up to 7 days in this hotel - 14 days and not a hitch! Although unfortunately it went way too quickly but as they say time does fly!

It truly was a shame to leave!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BenSinclair

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your positive experience at the Corinthia Palace Hotel on Trip Advisor following your recent 2 weeks holiday.

We are glad to note that you found the atmosphere - relaxed, and our hotel facilities perfect and relaxing.
It is a particularly warming experience to receive comments such as yours, your comments towards our Staff members in particular Martin, Darlene, Dean and Olena have been passed on personally.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future. Should you be returning to our hotel, please email me on david.woodward@corinthia.com

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Corinthia Palace has just about all you might want in a luxury hotel...almost! While they remember most of the important things one expects in the most exquisite hotels, they are lacking some of the finer points...just little things. Location is a bit distant from the centrum, but they provide a shuttle to key points downtown on a scheduled basis. Dining by the pool was nice, especially on a night with a pleasant breeze. The restaurants are all very nice, and the staff throughout is very attentive. I will advise, however, if you get a muscle massage, you need to ask the masseuse to be a bit more vigorous...my massage was more like an oil rub! Would I recommend this place...absolutely!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Walkintall26

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your complimentary comments which we have received through Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa.

It is indeed pleasing to get positive feedback from guests who have experienced our hotel.

I hope that you return in the near future and when you have decided on dates, please do email me on: david.woodward@corinthia.com.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Situated beside the St. A ton gardens the Corinthia Palace provides an oasis of calm, comfort and care for its guests. All staff are most attentive and aim to provide high standards of service. The rooms are very well maintained and serviced and the pool area is excellent. Breakfast is well presented and there is good choice. I agree with. Previous reviewer about the standard of pastries on the breakfast buffet, they need to improve as the taste was bland. Also, the orange juice needs to be upgraded as what was offered was watery. However these are minor comments; but worth mentioning no less as this will only further enhance the overall experience for guests. This is an excellent hotel and one that I would highly recommend. Whilst not at the heart of the city it is at the centre of the island and is close to the bus routes. The hotel also provides a courtesy coach. Adding a late run back from Valletta is something that I would propose to the management. We ate in many of the fine restaurants in Valletta but were always conscious that we had to make the last bus at around 10.30. I conclude by commending all at the Corinthia Palace. They provide what other hotels forget and that is to provide an elegant and personal service of the highest standards to guests. This is what makes Corinthia a special hotel destination.

Room Tip: High floor on the executive level and facing the front gardens of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peggypom
David W, General Manager at Corinthia Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Corinthia Palace Hotel for your recent stay and for taking the time to post your experience on Trip Advisor.

It is a particularly warming experience to receive comments such as yours, and gratifying to know that you were pleased with our efforts to provide superior service, your constructive comments towards our Pastries and Orange Juice have been noted and an immediate action will be taken.

We are glad to have the opportunity of welcome you back in the near future. Please drop me an e-mail on david.woodward@corinthia.com should any assistance be required.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend during the peak season but we still felt that we had the right attention. The staff was excellent and very helpful. The rooms are very clean and the wifi works fine. We asked for a room change due to noise and reception was very kind in accomodating us. The Asian restaurant is a must.
On the downside, the location is not the most convenient for people who want to explore since most of the bus connections are from Valletta city so you would first need to get a bus for Valletta and then get your next connection. That can turn out to be frustrating since buses are not on time. Renting a car could be a solution.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We are glad to note that the hotel’s facilities in particular ‘Rickshaw’ – oriental cuisine restaurant, ambience and service given by our members were to your satisfaction.

It is indeed pleasing to get such positive feedback from guests who have experienced our hotel.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

it was the first time that I stay in this hotel in Malta, normally I stay in the hotels in the bay during my business trip.
the hotel is the classical vittorian style building with a very nice garden, with internal SPA and external pool. all the personnel from receptionist up to waiters and all others have a very nice professional approach. the room is large and well furnished, in coherence with the whole classical style. cleanless is good and in all the hotel you are surraunded of good fragrances.
inside there are different restaurant I was for the dinner in the summer kitchen, the waitress Greta, a fetching little face with a dazzling smile, that improve my spirit after a long and stuffy working day. the food in my opinion need to be improved respect to the rest of other services, the octopus was not bad but need a good presentation and the pizza and ice cream require a global improvement in general. for the breakfast the restautrant is wide and bright, a large selection of food is present but the croissant, muffins and other pastries were at very low level up to be to uneatable. anyway due to the large selection you havo no risk to stay hungry. reception and corsierge at top level.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Corinthia Palace Hotel & SPA for your Business trip, and for taking time to share your views about us on TripAdvisor following your recent stay.

We are sincerely glad to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you decide to visit Malta again on business or leisure, so that I can make the necessary arrangements for your next stay. My email is david.woodward@corinthia.com.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Anton
#3 of 15 in Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to Corinthia Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!