“The Hotel that runs like a Rolls Royce - smoothly”

Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Anton
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Following my review of January 2010 entitled " A return is a must ". My wife and myself have made it ,this time between 6th and 16th December 2010 as we had decided to spend Christmas at home this year.
Our return visit was absolutely wonderful.We arrived at 11-20 pm to be welcomed by the ever smiling Martin who welcomed us back and took our luggage to our room so we could go and get a drink. Mr Italico Rota The General Manager welcomed us at breakfast next morning.This gentleman is an outstanding example for anyone to follow in the art of how to treat guests and make them feel special.Thank you Mr Rota for all the kindness and consideration that you showed to my wife and myself'

We timed our visit this year to coincide with " The Lighting Ceremony " what a stunning evening and a superb 5 course dinner with a very imaginitive menu. The entertainment was A1. The highlight of it for my wife and myself were Csicso a four piece Hungarian band who were magnificent. The following evening they played again. On this occasion, the lead violinist and some of the other musicians played at individual tables,my wife when asked requested that they played The Blue Danube Waltz which they duly did and the entire restaurant raised the roof with applause when they finished,even the waiting staff applauded.It was a sheer indulgence for my wife and never to be forgotten.

This year's winner of the employee of the year Lizio the main barman in The Caprice Lounge is going to take some beating in the 2011 awards,what a great guy he is.
The list rolls on. Nothing is too much trouble for any member of staff,they all seem to be genuinely and utterly involved in keeping this purring machine running. All the staff, especially Joseph and Louis in the Villa Corinthia restaurant are just wonderful. They both helped my wife every time they saw her even if they were not serving us,they would take her by the arm and lead her to our table and seat her. Mr Raymond Vella the Restaurant Manager led by example and would always enquire if all was well,we saw him clear and relay tables if other members of staff were busy.A truly wonderful example to set especially to the younger members of staff. I know a lot of restaurateurs who could learn a lot from him.

The hotel has many talented people working in it and from a guest's point of view they all seem to be appreciated by their own management. Last year, I had an occasional hello with a member of staff and he was always polite and enquired if everything was ok. This year we found out that this man had got a hidden talent. His name is Ray Pisani "Chief Security Officer" his talent is model making and if anyone has been fortunate enough to have visited the Corinthia Palace during this festive season they will have seen a fantastic model of a village and crib scene in the reception area,Ray planned and personally made it and the detail in it is incredible. The man has a wonderful talent and he is a very nice person and is more than happy to chat with guests.It was a pleasure to have spent some time in his company - thanks Ray.

Now perhaps you can see why I titled this "like a Rolls Royce ".It really is. From top to bottom it purrs luxury and quality . Its main restaurant the Villa Corinthia is an experience on its own and as far as I am aware is the only restaurant in any of Malta's 5 Star hotels that still serve silver service as standard for dinner.

The mechanics of the place run smoothly but this only happens because of all the hard work that has been put in. Rolls Royce say their cars never break down - well the Corinthia Palace doesn't either or doesn't appear to thanks to excellent management and hard workers.
If you want to stay at a quality 5 star hotel and you enjoy the quiet side of life then this is the place to stay.
Best wishes to all the staff. See you in 2011. Gill and Mike Plant.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MikePlant
There are newer reviews for Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 18 November 2010

I had the pleasure to stay in this beautiful Hotel for an 8 day stay end of October, early November and I still feel the benefits. I researched the hotels on the island thoroughly before deciding that the Corinthia Palace met all my requirements. I was looking for peace & tranquility along with a gym & spa facilities. This Hotel ticked all the boxes!

I booked Half Board through their own website and enjoyed every minute I stayed there. The professionalism and apparent ease that the Hotel operates at is primarily to the management & leadership of their Senior Manager, Mr Italico Rota. He leads by example, often working 15/16 hour days, and his attention to detail is a joy to behold. He has a very efficient and dedicated staff & management team. Nothing is taken for granted, or too much trouble for them. If you want to be treated like a Lord, this is the place to go.

I would advise that the clientele are predominantly businessmen & seniors, I don't think that it is really suited to small children. It is more a retreat/haven type location rather than a base for kiddies. If it's glitz & bluster you're after, then stay elsewhere.

I am already looking forward to my next visit to this oasis of tranquility...

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank ConorCo_Wicklow
Reviewed 17 November 2010

We asked for a quiet, sunny room which we certainly got. Not quite a 'pool view' though by any sense of the imagination.
We chose this Hotel because it was easy to get to all parts of the island. We wanted a comfortable room with good service and without the prices of a seaview hotel. We certainly felt we got all we thought we should have.
The staff could not have done more for us and were friendly and courteous.
We would love to go back again :-)

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holidaygirl329
Reviewed 3 November 2010

My wife and I returned to Malta after 32 yrs. We always promised ourselves we we return someday, as we enjoyed it so much then . We stayed at the Corinthia Palace and really enjoyed our stay. The staff were very friendly , and could not do enough for you. In particular Tony at the front desk was extreemly helpfull, and one on thr nicest front desk staff we have ever encountered, ( and we have travelled the world ) The hotel is a little dated, but I think this adds to it's character. The breakfast was good if a little cold at times , and one had to wait a while to get your eggs fried. The room was very clean , and the room service staff were excellent , and friendly, .Nothing was a chore for them
Overall a excellent hotel is excellent , and made more so by the staff, and manager
,who made a point to talk to everybody Finally the music in thebar at night was excellent
and the pianist was really excellent. Kay & Tom Madden

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Just home from a week's stay at the Corinthia palace with spouse and friends. Overall a very pleasant hotel with good facilities; food excellent particularly the Rickshaw Restaurant, as well as service and cleanliness. But be warned the area is a hotspot for young men in small cars with big exhausts and due to lack of double glazing, it is noisy in the bedrooms through the night. These rooms are 101 to 119, 201 to 219 and 301 to 319 and should be avoided if you want peace and quiet. Corresponding numbers opposite are likely to hear a large dog barking.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We can barely fault this hotel for anything. We did have a couple of hiccups but nothing major and they were more than compensated for. For example, due to some problem with rooms our suite wasn't available for the first night and we had to stay at the Corinthia's sister hotel in St Julians (the Corinthia St George). But we were chauffered there and back again the next day. We also had a suite with panoramic views of the sea. However, having now stayed in both we would definitely prefer the Corinthia in Attard. The rooms in St Julians looked and felt very tired in comparison to the Corinthia Palace and there was also some very shoddy interior decor work, including painting of walls and woodwork that looked like it had been done by a child in places. The furniture was also a bit worn and in need of replacement. Given that the Corinthia at St Julians is more expensive (you're paying for the seaview!) we would definitely recommend the Corinthia Palace as the best option. You don't have the seaviews, the crowds, and the plethora of bars and shops that St Julians has. Thankfully in the case of crowds, bars, and shops. But the Corinthia Palace is classy and has a much calmer pace with matching clientele.

When we did get our suite there it was faultless. Beautiful big balcony overlooking the garden, massive sitting and dining room, walk-in wardrobe, separate room (yes, room) for luggage, huge comfortable bed and a small but very adequate bathroom.

The only other hiccup we had while we were there, apart from not being able to stay the first night (for which, by the way, they compensated us with a complimentary dinner on an evening of our choice), was the quality of some of the food. Room service we would definitely recommend as it really did taste like it had been freshly prepared (we had one room dinner and two room breakfasts). But the oriental restaurant (The Rickshaw) served up food that was heavily salted and laden with monosodium glutenate. The sauces also tasted of the packeted or pre-prepared variety. Given our experience I'm afraid I couldn't recommend it. The restaurant looks nice but when it comes to eating it's mostly about the food for me and on this basis it would never tempt me to eat there again.

The only other food issue was to do with the main Corinthia Room restaurant. It's a lovely palatial setting and we were looking forward to dining there on the Friday night of our stay. But a letter appeared under our door on Friday morning from management to announce that there was going to be a great big Italian and Sicilan night of wining and dining on the Friday and Saturday nights respectively - but not in The Corinthia Room, which would remain closed until Sunday. I have nothing against Italy or Sicily but this was a real disappointment that the hotel's best restaurant was not to be available to residents for the two busiest nights of the week. I suspected that something else was behind this sudden announcement and that most likely the Corinthia Room was to be used for something else. And it was. On Friday night the Turkish Embassy had it booked out for a reception and on Saturday there was a wedding reception. My advice - if you plan to eat in the Corinthia Room check with the hotel in advance that it will be available on the night you're thinking of. On reflection, I can see that the hotel needs to maximise its business locally and to build on its reputation as one of the finest for the Maltese people themselves, but I don't think it's fair to relegate faithful residents to a second best Anton Room. That's where we were dispatched for our Friday Italian night and the dining experience was absolutely nothing like the Corinthia Room would have been. We booked for 8.30pm and ended up eating alone, with long waiting times in between being served the only two courses that had to be served. The main event was a self-service buffet where, by the time we reached it, the food had been stewing over burners for at least three hours. As a result it was tasteless and the beef option in particular was inedible. We quietly mentioned this to our server, who smiled.

We don't want to end this review on a sour note and would stress again that the Corinthia Palace is a great hotel, to which we would not hesitate in returning. We just hope that management have a think in the meantime about their dining options, the quality of food, and especially the need to close off the hotel's best restaurant because the Turkish Ambassador needs to dine.

PS We combined our trip with some dental treatment in Malta and Gozo. We've been to the same dentist twice and he is simply outstanding. The best we have ever had. Dr Joseph Xuereb at the Savina Clinic in Victoria, Gozo. He also operates from the Da Vinci Clinic in Malta, a private hospital near the main Mater Dei hospital where he did 4 extractions and one implant for my partner, under sedation. In the process, the amount we saved on what we would have paid going private in London contributed a large amount to the cost of the holiday. Tell him we sent you.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Having checked in at the 5 star Corinthia Palace Hotel, I was a bit surprised that the reception clerk could not find my reservation. A welcome drink of orange juice was provided which was a nice touch. I was allocated room 1018.

It was a smoking room, despite the fact that I had requested a non-smoking room in the reservation. Anyway, whilst the room was very big, it had a musty smell and I realised on my final night why this was. There is water leaking from the shower (or maybe toilet) into the bedroom and the carpet was soaking wet….

A few points I wasn’t too happy about… Firstly I was left a minibar chit with some drinks that I had apparently consumed (although I had not). Furthermore there was a short power cut one night – nobody at reception was answering the telephone, so it really seemed like chaos.

The wifi was not free and you had to purchase cards to use, although the connection was really slow and it took forever to download websites.

The pool area is in desperate need of a refurbishment, it just looks very tired and the Jacuzzi water was very dirty, being masked with plenty of chlorine.

All of these problems lead me to believe that this is not a 5 star establishment, in actual fact I would probably suggest 3 star. Its worth staying here if you have a cheap rate, the staff are all very friendly – probably to make up for the poor facilities and standard of hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
#5 of 15 in Valletta
InterContinental Malta
InterContinental Malta
#12 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!