“Just amazing...”

Tropical Garden Lounge Hotel
Ranked #29 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Reviewed 6 October 2012

It was just wonderful once again. I stayed for 10 days. It's my second stay here and i would always come back. The staff is very nice and helpful and specially the hotel manager have always time for his guests. It is a cozy and quiet place a bit behind the mainroad. All bungalows are located in a fantastic garden with many plants and lovely palms. My bungalow was a "tropic club bungalow" with a spacious and clean sleeping room and a very nice outside bathroom. And at least the pool area and the restaurant are good places to relax and to enjoy the best days in the year.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Claudio S, Owner at Tropical Garden Lounge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2013

Dear Jurg

Thank you for once again staying at Tropical Garden Lounge. We always like to hear from our guests. I remember our long party nights at the Chaweng nightlife area with lots of Sang Som!
Just check out our facebook fan page tropical garden lounge and I will give you the great deals available for your next stay with us! I am looking forward to your next stay with us soon!
If there is anything i can help you with in the meantime, please let me know at info@tropicalgardenlounge.com

Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed for 14 days, and enjoyed our stay ver much. Friendly, clean, good service and trustworthy, excellent food in the restaturant, we recommend this place for you, with high expectations and a reasonable wallet :)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dominik S
Claudio S, Manager at Tropical Garden Lounge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2013

Dear Dominik

Thank you for staying at Tropical Garden Lounge. I see that you have enjoyed your stay. Remember that our official site tropicalgardenlounge.com offers all important information, videos and photos about our bungalow resort. You will also get the best available rates on our website.
I hope to welcome you again in the near future on Samui and if there is anything i can do for your next stay, please feel free to contact me at info@tropicalgardenlounge.com

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Thanks to Claudio and the staff at Tropical Garden for being so understanding and changing our booking a number of times due to our son being very sick. Although we only had one night at your establishment, it was very relaxing. The pool area is wonderful!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear Saul

Thank you for your stay at Tropical Garden Lounge. I see that you enjoyed your short stay with us. Its easy for us to change your booking as you have booked on our official site tropicalgardenlounge.com. I hope your son got better fast and you could enjoy the rest of your stay in Thailand.
I am looking forward to welcome you back soon and if I can do something about your next stay please reach me at info@tropicalgardenlounge.com

Reviewed 20 July 2012

We had so a great stay at Tropical Garden Lounge and enjoyed it so much. It's a lovely place with a very nice staff. The hotel manager was brilliant and very helpful. If you have a problem, questions or you just want to chat a little bit... he has always time for his guests.

Our bungalow was very nice and clean. The bed was comfortable and we had enough space for our clothes. TV was okay and there was a big fridge in our room. The pool area is quite small, but big enough for relaxing and have a few drinks at the pool bar.

We had no problems with the location of the resort. Of course, it's not directely on the beach. But hey... a short 10-minutes stroll and you are there! There are a few restaurants and bars around the hotel.

Finally we enjoyed our stay at Tropical Garden Lounge very much. Of course, this is not a 5-star hotel. But we got much more than we expected.

Room Tip: There are cheaper and more expensive rooms... Take the more expensive because they are still cheap...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank tmaag
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Arrival to this place was a little bit disappointing for us. Not much pretty entrance, awful welcome drink (it's better to get nothing than this juice),..But after that, we saw our bungalow and we were excited! Beautiful bamboo hut with absolutely georgeous outdoor bathroom. It was so romantic! :)
Bungalow - large, clean, guiet aircondition, free internet, free soft drinks, tea/cofee maker, fridge, in-room safe..Everything looks exactly like on pictures on the internet. In the night there was noice on our roof. Probably some marten or cats..?
Bathroom - absolutely awesome, clean, unforgetable experience :), we had two gekons under the mirror, but you have to count with this if you want open air bathroom
Pool - small, but pleasant, with bar, not much comfortable deckchairs
Servis - very kind staff, tasty meals in restaurant, the best mango shake in Thailand
Location - location is the biggest problem of this hotel for me. Mae Nam beach is borring with sharp sand and unclean water. We were there in low season, so it was dead area. But you can hire motorbike for 200 Bath and go to Chaweng Beach which is pretty close.
If you are looking for guiet holiday, this is place for you :)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bara_Vyskocilova
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Basic room , cheap and if you like it basic then this is ok.Expect creatures in the room, very hot if you opt for the fan rooms as opposed to the aircon rooms.
Should not be advertised as recently renovated because it is not , wel the chalets we had were not thats for sure.
Met some nice people there , other guests I mean and the staff were ok even though there was a lack of the English language which surely must be a must in a international resort ?
Food is average , cooked by a non Thai which is strange when one is in Thailand but its edible, go a few hundred meters to left on the mainroad and you will expierence a culniary treat if you find the good ones.
A pleasent change to the hetick boom boom nightlife 18-30 type of resort to be found in Chiang beach which we visited by mistake, never to go there again .. rather sad to see this quaint little island ruined by the Ibza stlye invasion.So Mae nam is a definite must if you are over 30 and want to see a bit of the old culture of thsi lovely Island.

Room Tip: Go for aircon for gods sake
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DrWho43
cschibli, Owner at Tropical Garden Lounge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review.
We give choices to our guests in terms of bungalows and prices. Of course we can not a cheap priced bungalow run with an expensive air condition. But you always have choices: Everywhere you book we offer Fan or A/C Bungalows.

The level of spoken english on Samui is generally not very good but still good enough to understand and communicate with guests. We offer free english lessons to our staff and its entirely up to them if they want to take part or not.

It was this and last year refurbished, but not all bungalows. We would like to keep some Bungalows as they are to offer cheap rates. A refurbishement almost always means higher rates at the end. We have all our Tropic Club Bungalows and Lounge Bungalows equipped with new Bathrooms and Terraces. This year some of our Standard Bungalows got new terraces.

I had a temporary chef which was non thai thats true. She was here for 2 weeks while my thai staff (chefs) were on leave. Now they are back at work and cook again.

Thank you once again and have a safe trip.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

Of course everybody likes a different style of hotel otherwise none of us would be happy unless we were staying at the 7 star Burj Al Arab!

I will get the bad points out the way with first:

First impressions are everything and when arriving at the tropical Garden Lounge I was a little disappointed. I understand the concept of the open-plan Thai style but the front of this hotel appears to look like it's still under-going construction. A couple of great light features along with some kind of water feature would really create an impression on this place. I know it's not the Ritz but it's still a business that you want to succeed.

The next flaw would be the cleanliness of the restaurant area. With this being a small hotel the restaurant/reception staff don't have a great deal of people eating and checking in at the same time therefore the tables should be cleaned everytime somebody has eaten. Just small things need to be done daily such as the lights that hang above the tables need to be cleared from spider's webs, floors swept, bar area cleaned and perhaps even give the cute Labrador that mopes around a weekly hose down!

My final grievance which I'm afraid I have to mention is a theft from my room. I had previously been to Bangkok and bought t-shirts for friends which were in my wardrobe. I specifically remember hanging these in the wardrobe when we arrived. The t-shirts were white with a picture of a horse made out of purple gem stones on the front. I didn't bring this up with the manager when we left because it would have created an uncomfortable atmosphere for everyone involved and for the sake of 500 Thai Baht I easily replaced them when we went back to Bangkok at the end of our trip. We had a half day tour on the second day of our stay and came back to find 3 maids with a small child running round our room which disgruntled us a little so we went by the pool and had lunch. When so many people are in and out of your room obviously you can't pin point the blame with anybody. I suggest if the manager reads this post he keeps a close eye on his staff and hopefully finds out the member of staff that is responsible for stealing guests possesions.

Anyway getting on to the poistives of the hotel:

I disagree with previous negative comments relating to the food. In my opinion the food was great, affordable and plenty of it!

The wooden bungalows were great and gave a real feel of being in Thailand. Very secluded and private. You expect to see lizards and bugs everywhere in this sort of climate and I think for people that don't like this sort of thing they need to stick to their city breaks! In my opinion the outdoor showers were very liberating and gave a real upmarket feeling of being somewhere tropical like the Maldives. The maids cleaned the room daily and always left the place immaculate. The gardens and pool looked really well maintained and we even saw a member of staff doing a water test on the pool which proves that the water is kept correct.

A couple of the staff were extremely friendly and would strike up conversation with you which is what you need in the communal areas in such a small resort. I think a few other members of staff could do with interacting with guests more if only to improve their English!

Bophut beach is only 5 minutes over the road from the hotel along a driveway and absolutely breath taking... well worth a visit. Bophut itself is quite limited with just a few bars and shops but you can get everything you need there and enjoy a good night out. If you want something more lively then Chaweng is only 10-15 minutes down the road which will cost you about 300 Baht in a taxi each way.

All said and done, I think this hotel is great value for money and represents the secluded side of Samui. If you want something more lively then you need to be down at Chaweng Beach but for personal space this retreat was great!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank C47TER
cschibli, Owner at Tropical Garden Lounge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. Critics and compliments both of which help us to improve our service.
I am happy to comment on your review as follows:
I know that the entrance of our hotel is not very suitable. Our Problem is, as i have probably mentioned already in earlier responses, that our access road is running through another property which does not belong to us. As we are unable to do something there (different owner) we are a little bit set back there. At least we managed to get a proper lighting along the access way.

I will definately work on the restaurant cleanliness, which is currently a weak spot but i know that already.

About your mentioned possible theft. I am very sorry for what happend to you. I cant imagine that my staff has something to do with it, but will for sure keep an eye open. Some guest even come down to see me and tell me why my housekeepers dont touch the money the left for them on the bed as tip.

I will keep on working on the your mentioned points to get our quality and services to a higher level. Once again thank you for your review and have a safe trip!