“Unforgettable experience at W Koh Samui”
Review of W Koh Samui

W Koh Samui
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We've recently enjoyed our honeymoon travelling all around Southeast Asia keeping the best till last, the W Retreat Koh Samui. And the reward was worth it. This lovely place is aWesome, but after all, one of the most important things is the way the staff take care of their guests and they treated us very well!! They pay great attention to detail.
We travel all we can and this hotel is only comparable with W Retreat Vieques.
Nomu restaurant is a must on this hotel, a japanese fusion kitchen managed by a very nice chef who share part of his knowledge with his clients (highly recommended to book at the counter to look how your food is being prepared by the sushimen)
Another tip, if you like playing golf and would like to play while you are visiting this beautiful island you have to try at Santiburi Golf & Country Club, so beautiful!
Thank you guys, we won't forget it!
Francisco

1  Thank Francisco S
WRetreat, General Manager at W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2012

Hello Francisco S.

Thrilled to hear such positive comments about your recent honeymoon with us at W Retreat Koh Samui.

We take special pride in ensuring extraordinary experiences to couples traveling on such a special adventure.

We feel honoured to be compared with W Retreat Vieques (one of only three other W Retreats worldwide including Maldives and Bali). I have heard nothing but amazing stories about Vieques as well.

And good to hear you enjoyed the local professional golf course, run by Santiburi. It is really world class and luckily only minutes away. I just wish I had time to go play there myself!

Thanks again for your amazing feedback and rest assured I am waiting for your email to say you wish to return for your first anniversary!

Have a wonderful 2012.

nicholas.downing@whotels.com

ps. apologies for the delay in reply as I was attempting to comply with Tripadvisor's newly implemented business verification policy.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,171)

Reviewed 25 December 2011

W Retreat is just the place to go when you need to recharge and unwind with your loved one. All rooms are Villas with an adjoining private plunge pool. We stayed in a Tropical Villa. The bathroom includes a great oversized tub, indoor rainshower and outdoor rain shower (which we used everyday - it's great to shower in the warmth of the tropical air). The bed was wonderful. Room decor is modern with some nice quirks - like the teddy bear that gets dressed each night as part of turndown service, and the fun that the housekeeper had to also put a cap on his head one day, and sunglasses another - awesome! Rooms have a wine fridge (regrettably ours wasn't working and wasn't repaired even though we reported it) and an espresso machine. Breakfast at the restaurant is great, with the chefs also offering to do some special orders as well.

Many of the staff were amazing. From pre-arrival email confirmations, through to service throughout our stay. We were acknowledged by name and made to feel special throughout. We did find the resort very quiet - a combination of suspected low occupancy and the private layout - so it's ideal for a couple wanting private time together but not ideal if you're the sort of person that likes to mingle with others.

The Japanese restaurant is excellent - awesome sushimi, sushi and tepanyaki (at reasonable prices). We also had a private BBQ in our villa but this turned out to be a disappointment as the chef didn't fully cook some of the seafood so one of us didn't feel too well the next day... in some ways unfair to judge on this though.... but suggest the staff use more lighting when cooking the private BBQ.

There's a fantastic gym which we used every day - modern equipment and also some free classes you can attend. One issue we had multiple nights is the gym aircond turns off around 7.30pm and no matter how many times we tried to get it turned back on, we failed (despite promises).

Above the gym is a full sized report pool with horizon edge and bar service. Great views of the ocean and you can lie on the slightly submerged decking to stay cool but work on that tan!

There's also a lovely private beach - comfy lounges, bar service, hammocks, palms swinging in the breeze....gorgeous!

We didn't use the spa services and were disappointed that theThaimazcal wasn't operational during our stay.

The resort is a fair distance from the township but there is a bus that runs a few times per day if you would like to explore, go for a foot massage or eat somewhere different.
Thanks to the staff for your personalised service throughout our stay. I'm sure we'll be back again in the future.

If you're a platinum guest, be aware that this hotel doesn't offer all platinum privileges that you may receive in other Starwood properties...mind you, most aren't necessary!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MangoRacin

Hello MangoRacin,

Thank you for your very open and honest feedback regarding your recent stay with us, especially as a Platinum SPG member (more of SPG later).

I note a few small issues which were not perfect and rest assured we have taken notice already and will do our best to improve in these key areas. Reported issues should always be followed up and I was disappointed to hear we didn't manage to get your wine fridge working during your stay.

Also disappointed to hear we the BBQ didnt go quite to plan. We have already addressed the lighting issue and hope this will assist to avoid such issues in the future.

Regarding the air-conditioning in SWEAT (our aptly named fitness center!), again, apologies, but this has now been addressed also and will not be an issue in the future.

And as you may have since noticed, we have now officially launched our Thaimazcal facility. Although, despite initial positive reaction, we are still working on raising this to even higher levels of guest service and satisfaction.

And finally, rest assured that even though we are recognised as an "all suite" hotel within the SPG program, we always do our utmost to treat SPG members with the special treatment they definitely deserve. We consider it an honour that they continue to return to us time and time again and will always continue to do our best to impress.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write such open feedback. It is only with such feedback that we can continue to strive for that perfection we all desire here.

Rest assured that Teddy Bear and the rest of the talent at W Retreat Koh Samui is looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 22 December 2011

We absolutely loved the resort. The resort is beautiful. The view from the lobby is breathtaking. The staff are exceptional. They are courteous, attentive and more than willing to do whatever it takes to make your vacation enjoyable. (Nick has a great staff and they all do a great job). Contrary to a previous review, there is no shortage of staff. They make you feel at home and take the time everyday to check in and make sure you are well cared for. I have nothing but praise for Nick and his entire staff.
The rooms are beautifully designed and spacious. I did like our room on the hill much better than the ocean view ones because the high up ones get a better view of the ocean than the ones right by the ocean.
The grounds are well kept and you always feel that it is your own private retreat. They offer you free soft drinks and all the ice cream you want. Also just like any luxury hotel should do, Internet is free. If you like a traditional looking hotel where they charge you for the air you breath, then you should pick Four Seasons but otherwise in my opinion W is the place to be in Koh Samui.
As far as the surrounding area of the hotel, there is basically not much. As soon as you leave the hotel grounds, it is terrible. There are no good restaurants, non that we were told about. Fisherman's village and Chaweng are extremely tacky and horrendous. So bad that we went there to eat and turned around and went back to the hotel.
The only thing I would recommend to the hotel is to improve their knowledge about recommending good restaurants with good food, good atmosphere, and location. The concierge was ill informed on knowing good places to eat. Also as another reviewer suggested, the menu is the same for all areas of the resort except Namu so if you are not leaving the place, it gets really boring. Namu had great food.
Overall, a wonderful experience. Thank you Nick. You do a wonderful job running the place.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with children, the showers are designed in a way that there is no privacy. Ther...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Likeitniceandclean

Hello likeitniceandclean (and i certainly hope we were!),

It is always wonderful to read about praise for our wonderful team of talent. They endeavour to provide extraordinary experiences every day and I have nothing but admiration for the effort they put in every day. So thank you for taking time to recognise them.

I would agree that we appeal to guests looking for a new side of Thailand and not a traditional Thai resort. A great deal of effort has gone into designing an experience which provides a new way of experiencing the island and I delighted you enjoyed it. Although you are also right, we are not really designed with children in mind.

I agree that we have not been the best at recommending some key places around the island in the past. To address this, we recently recruited Tom our new W Insider and he is working on compiling the latest list of What's New and What's Next around the island. We will make sure our guests get the inside information about the best that Koh Samui has to offer!

Again, thank you for your kind comments and for ranking us so highly.

Wishing you a wonderful 2012!

Reviewed 20 December 2011

W Hotel Koh Samui

A hotel room is a transient space you arrive, you stay and you leave. By definition it is never yours.

The (only) one year old, W Koh Samui defies this principle.

For the first time ever, I felt sad leaving a hotel room, a room so wonderful with all it's attention to details, quirky bouyance and gadgets galore. I did not want to leave, yet I had to cause it wasn't home, yet it was home.

This was my first experience at the W and the first time in Koh Samui. The property from the moment you arrive and enter the lobby gives you a taste of what is to come. The wide open spaces, the colour changing installations, the beautiful view of the sea outlined by the Woobar which has sunken seats in water.

The room itself is one of the best and most functional rooms I have ever stayed in. I immediately decided to get my next bedroom in the next house made in the same format as the W room. The room I had was an ocean haven which has direct access to the beach. it is a single block of bed, sofa, tv, mini bar, outdoor shower, indoor shower and a lovely bath tub with a private lap pool outside. The view to the ocean was limited but I had direct access to the beach.

The 3 nights that I spent there were full of things to do both outside and within the hotel. The hotel offers a wonderful spread of breakfast and a clean lively private beach.

What is truly exceptional is the service levels. The staff is "Perceptive". To me that is the greatest luxury in the world. I have stayed at the Ritz, Mandarin Oriental, Hyatt, Aman, Four Seasons etc. across the world but never before have I experienced service levels such as this. For instance - I got out of the ocean after a swim and started looking for a towel, could not find one, but saw a staff member running towards me with one. The chef at the breakfast knew of what I had the previous day and made the same thing for me again without even asking him to. To me these small touches are what personify luxurious service. Most of the best hotels in the world have a great building and have full amenities it is only the service which differentiates the success of one hotel over another.

The food is not exceptional but is very good, Namu is a great Japanese restaurant the desserts (strawberry sobiyan and chocolate molten cake) are to die for. Breakfast is a full spread - you think it you will have it.

The only dampner (minor one though) on the stay was when my wife fell ill and I had to go to the pharmacy - the hotel quoted an exorbitant price for literally a 10 min cab ride back and forth. They also refused to call an outside meter taxi citing security issues. I fortunately had the number of a cab guy and I called him and he charged me 20% of what the hotel was quoting. The next day (late at night) I needed go to the pharmacy again - Nick the GM of the hotel was around and he immediately arranged a van for me to go to the pharmacy which was much further away - he was compassionate and understood the difference between an urgency and forego the commercial gains to the hotel by not even charging me for the transport. Like I said it was but a minor momentary dampner when the car was not arranged the first time.

All in all, will I stay at the hotel again? For sure. Having seen six senses also over a dinner on this trip, The W stands out. It is more relevant to my age group and more my style then the rustic old world charm of the Six Senses. Will I stay in the same room? Perhaps not - at almost double the price I paid over the base category room the only benefit I get is direct beach access. The regular rooms are located on the hillside. There is absolutely no other difference between the room size, private pool etc. between the base category room and the ocean front haven. For me the base category then makes for a better value proposition.

An excellent stay at the W, Loved Koh Samui.

• Stayed: December 2011
5  Thank theacompany

Hello theacompany,

What a wonderful review of your stay with us.

You mention a key point that I have raised many times with my wonderful team of Talents here at the Retreat...it is "easy" to build a beautiful hotel, but it is the team and they service they provide which make a hotel truly special. I am delighted to see that we made that come true for you in particular. And very high praise indeed to compare us with the likes of Four Seasons and Aman.

We know we dont always get it 100% perfect, but as I often say, that should never stop us from attempting to be.

Thank you again for writing such detailed feedback. Rest assured we always take note and also please know that we hope to welcome you back again in the future. Please do contact me directly and will do my best to allocate the best room according to your wishes.

Until then, I hope that 2012 has started wonderfully for you and your family.

Reviewed 17 December 2011

Fantastic location, great food and spectacular rooms make the W Retreat Koh Samui's top hotel for good reason.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank PassionDrivesSuccess

Hello PassionDrivesSuccess (How True!!!)

Considering the other properties you have rated, we are honoured to be compared with similar rating to our sister Starwood property in Bangkok, St Regis.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your rating to us and we hope to see you back in Thailand soon!

Reviewed 16 December 2011

I stayed at W Retreat Koh Samui (Oceanview Escape) with my husband for 4 nights early December, and I must say the resort is beautiful! Since our room is located on top of the hill, you get a fabulous view of the resort and the ocean, not to mention the private pool which you can actually swim laps in.

Airport transfer was an Audi Q5, which was quite impressive as most resorts provide Toyota's. The lobby was stunning with infinity view of the ocean, and since we arrived at night, the lighting in the lobby was hip but relaxing.

There are a few areas that the resort could be improved though.

Restaurants:
There could be more choices on the menu as from what I see, the restaurants throughout the resort except Namu, share the same menu.

Ideally, there could have more restaurants i.e. Thai, Italian, etc., and they surely need a fine dining one.

The food at Namu wasn't exceptionally amazing as compared to other Japanese restaurants I've been to in Asia. The sushi rolls were excellent, but the cooked food was only fair.

Breakfast was okay. My expectation was quite high after reading the reviews here about the breakfast. However, I must say the Thai dishes at The Kitchen Table were fab.

Pest Control:
On the second night after we came back from dinner, the staff has already prepared our bed as usual but has also left a small box of popcorn on the bedside table. Since I've read most of the reviews here and I remembered someone had shared an experience of having a whole bunch of ants crawling in a box of macaroons, I was extremely careful when picking it up.

As expected, there were a bunch of ants crawling inside the box and also on the bedside table. I quickly dumped it into the sink and asked the staff to take it away. I've also asked them not to put anymore sweets in the room going forward.

I was quite surprised that if the resort management has read and replied the reviews here, and has certainly seen the one on macaroons, then why are they still doing it? Can't they consider other options, like a small bag of chips?

Apart from the popcorn, the ants problem is also an issue throughout the resort especially inside the room. You will always see a few ants crawling inside the closet, in the bathroom, and on the tables. Appreciate if this could be fixed.

Spa:
This is probably the worst massage I've ever experienced. The two staff brought us to one bathroom for changing, and the bathroom was very small. While we were still putting on our robes, one of the staff knocked on the door and asked if we're ready. We said not yet, and after like one minute, she knocked again. I mean, what's the rush?

Their technique was very bad as well. Although I had already stated on the form that I wanted soft massage, the staff kept pressing me so hard that I had to remind her a few times. And not sure if it's her technique problem, my whole body ached for the whole night!

After massage, they put us in the same room for changing. And again, knocked on the door and asked us whether we're ready. We yelled not yet. And this time, she didn't wait and opened the door! Lucky we were almost done and with clothes on.....this is really unacceptable.

Service:
I have the same experience as another reviewer here, who complained about a missing luggage. After checkout, they escorted us to the airport transfer which this time was a Mercedes. We only had one luggage and was already in the trunk. But one of the staff was still moving someone else's luggage into our trunk until we told them they're not ours. We were surprised that none of the staff standing there had noticed it.

Overall service in the resort was quite good. Most of the staff always carried a friendly smile.

Sweet Spots:
I like the idea of Sweet Spots where you can get free Haagan Dazs ice cream, popsicles, and soft drinks. But would be better to have a few more stations around the resort, given that the resort size is huge. Also, the one near our room was quite difficult to find. I would suggest them putting a sign nearby as I've seen a few stations with clearer signs.

The Store:
Opening hours should be longer. I wanted to get the something from the shop but always missed the opening hours, I think it's opened from 10am to 6pm, which for most people should be out for excusions or sightseeing.

Overall impression was still very good. I would definitely go back.

4  Thank Unun218

Hello Unun218,

Firstly, apologies for the delay in reply as I was attempting to comply with Tripadvisor's newly implemented business verification policy before they would allow me to reply.

Thank you for taking time to write such detailed feedback. Rest assured that even though it has taken some time to get this reply to you, we have already absorbed and dealt with many of the items you mentioned.

Regarding our dining options, it seems we didn't do the best job of explaining all our options to you. In addition to our signature Japanese restaurant, Namu, we do have The Kitchen Table as well as Tonic (our Spa Cuisine venue) and of course our Woobar and SIP bars.

Understandably your expectation of our breakfast was high as most guests do indeed comment to me how much they love our interactive breakfast at The Kitchen Table. We do pride ourselves as having the best breakfast on Koh Samui and other hotels are equally envious, trying to encapsulate what our team has created. And while it is in the same venue, for lunch and dinner we provide a comprehensive International menu featuring signature Thai cuisine, including such signature items as our magnificent Phad Thai and my personal favourite, Crispy Whole Fish with Smoked Chili Jam and Coconut Emulsion We also highlight that we are more than happy to provide dishes on request also, even if not on the menu.

Not sure whether you also saw our amazing selection of pizzas and pasta's also? Agree these are all available at the above restaurants, but we have also implemented new menus recently at both SIP beach bar and at Woobar also.

So hopefully we will be able to impress and satisfy your dining desires more during your next visit to Koh Samui. Of course, part of the magic of Koh Samui is the diverse range of outside options too and we are a stone's throw drive away from all the casual dining action at Fisherman's Village!

With regards to the pest/ant issue you mention: yes, we certainly have had issues in the past and luckily managed to get on top of those issues. However VERY occasionally due to the inclement weather conditions, they do resurface. We are working VERY hard to eradicate this issue in the future permanently, but nature sometimes takes it's course and we have to deal with these issues as they arise. It would certainly be a shame to lose our amazing range of gourmet delights for the occasional issue, so hopefully we will indeed solve this very infrequent issue. Otherwise, we will indeed look at different ways to present these treats.

I have certainly addressed your feedback regarding service in the Spa with our Wellness Manager and rest assured we will endeavour to improve in this area. I totally agree this seems to be below our normal level of service standards.

And of course, we do indeed have luggage checks of all luggage departing the hotel, so I am confident that if you had not realised the luggage issue as it was happening, we would have rectified this before you got in the vehicle to leave.

And finally, to address you concern regarding the The Store hours, maybe our sign was not clear enough explaining that we can open The Store 24 hours a day by simply contacting the nearby Welcome Desk? However despite this, we have actually now extended official opening hours and certainly during peak hours have our wonderful talent waiting there to assist throughout the day.

I hope the above addresses some of the concerns you highlighted. As I always say, we know we dont always get things 100% right, but we never stop striving to be. And honest feedback such as yours is invaluable to me and the team to highlight those areas where we can improve.

I only hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the future to show the impact your comments have made. I hope you will contact me directly when next planning a visit to our island.

Until then, wishing you a wonderful start to 2012.

Reviewed 13 December 2011

We stayed at this new facility for four days-three nights, and was really sad to leave. Rain non withstanding. This is an excellent facility.

Having stayed at other W hotels (NY, Chicago, Doha, Hong Kong, etc..) I was a bit worried about the design and 'bling' of the W ruining a resort feel, and was pleasantly surprised.

We were upgraded to a ocean view villa on the highest level of the hotel, and what we understood is that all the villas are the same size, just different locations; valley, or hill. If you can get the ones in the hills away from construction, and the views are awesome.

The funky furnishing, cute but adequate plunge pool in the villa, free sodas and icecream, great golf car service. etc. what sets this restaurant apart from others world-wide is the service. We have never encountered better trained, friendly, and accomodaitng staff. Kudos to the managemnet, and SPG on the great service.

The hotel is pricey, but so are the other 5-star facilities in Samui, but it was worth every penny.

Other than the complicated A/C and lights system, I don't really have any comments.

Loved it..

Room Tip: Don't miss out the Japanese restaurant
4  Thank MikeyR

Hello MikeyR,

Thank you for your wonderful review of our Retreat, especially as a loyal W Hotels and SPG guest who has visited many of our urban hotels. Yes, it has indeed been a challenge to translate such an urban brand into iconic resort settings such as Maldives, Vieques, Bali and of course, Koh Samui. But with every guest comment we receive, we feel positive that our design, fashion and music passion points translate equally well in our Retreat setting.

Of course, such design must come with functionality and ease of use. As such, we listened and we have now incorporated new signage on our light switches to make this easier to understand in the future.

Again, thank you for your review and I certainly hope to hear from you if you plan a return to our island in the future. It would be my personal pleasure to oversee any of your future requests.

Wishing you a wonderful 2012.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mae Nam
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Six Senses Samui
Six Senses Samui
#34 of 184 in Bophut

Been to W Koh Samui? Share your experiences!