“beautiful but not warm”
Review of W Koh Samui

W Koh Samui
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We spent two nignts there from 23/01-25/01. I'll really love and recommend this hotel to others if there's no that accident happened during our stays. I'll describe below.
Amazing pool sitting area, really impresive. Lovely and mordern room. Plunge pool is swimmable.
We were feeling very good when arrived at the hotel, and just wanted to hang out and walk around the hotel. At the time when i wanted to close the door, my little girl pinched her fingure at the door. She was only 3 years old, standing at the backside of me, the door was quite heavy i even didn't realize when her fingure was between the door and the wall. It was hurted really badly and terrible, one fingure and nail was broken with bleeding, I scared and called 0 for the first aid. Staff came in 10-15 minutes, gave simple clean and bing up, advised that will come again next morning. My girl was keepping crying and finally went to asleep. We were so worried about whether the wound will be infectted. Of course, she could not swim from that time which she was expecting to. It has to be prevented from water.
Then it went to the next day, we were waiting for someone to call at or ask about the wound, but no body. We then went to the lobby and found the staff for assistance, they had no idea about this and just provided us iodine and blaster, we handled it ourselves. For the following time, we went to the drug store and bourght necessary things, and made clean/bind up all ourselves. During our stay, nobody cared about this and asked about this again. Only one staff at the front door asked what happed to her fingure when seeing it was binded.

Okey, this unexpected accident happened mainly due to ourselves, but why not the hotel and staff concerning it a little more? We had high expectations with W, just wanted to feel about that we were import, or even feel warm at the place which was not our home. Our holiday were destructed from then on, it is a so beautiful island, full of water, but the kid couldn't touch the water...what a pity!
Now,the fingure is still not recoverd. The whole old nail is going to drop, and new nail is still growing.

Anyway, it is a cool hotel. I still like it, and if can improve the service and such aspects, i will be definitely come back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ping J
WRetreat, General Manager at W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2012

Hello Ping J,

First of all...thank for your sharing your thoughts about our Retreat and I am delighted to hear that overall you have positive feelings about us.

However I am obviously quite distressed that you left thinking that we did reach out more and express our concern about your gorgeous daughter. As you know, we also met during your stay and I did indeed see your little girl's finger. I have to admit that because you all seemed ok and cheerful at the time, I didn't register more concern at the time.

I am certainly very sorry that the incident happened at all and certainly sorry that we didn't followup more at the time to register concern at the time. Rest assured that the health and safety of our guest is the most critical aspect of our Retreat and we take any injuries as incredibly serious. We have even spent nights at the international hospital with guests when they have fallen ill to ensure they have felt comfortable and to ensure they dont feel alone in a different country.

I certainly hope that you will return to our Retreat in the future so we can welcome you all back. Rest assured I am definitely waiting to hear from you.

Sincerely and with warm wishes to you and your daughter.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Being a W veteran, I thought this retreat was truly that..... A Retreat.
We had an Ocean View room with an amazing lap pool and a very cool outside shower. Service Standards were good.
We easily made friends with our server "O" at Sip on the beach. He offered exceptional service all day long and served us the best lunch we had at the resort. The private beach is one of the nicest I've ever been to.
Definitely plan on a romantic late dinner at Namu, cozy up to the sushi bar and make friends with the chef's. Do not miss out on their deserts!
My only complaint is that I expected a different level of amenities in the room, being a "Retreat" I would think they would have up-scaled them not provide the same old lotions and potions.

Room Tip: All rooms here are great! You have to choose between a view and seclusion.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Hello ifuhadwings,

Thank you for expressing your thoughts about our Retreat following your recent stay with us. I am always happy to hear when we make such a positive overall impression. It is honestly what drives us every day.

Yes, "O" at Sip beach bar is a wonderful asset to our team and many guests point him out as a true star down at the beach. So thank you for recognising him.

We are lucky indeed to have such a beautiful beach which changes shape naturally throughout the year....at times we even have a huge sandbank that extends right out into the ocean. Last weekend we launched our Beach Party Reloaded, complete with live DJ, Japanese inspired BBQ and cuisine along with what's new and what's next in water sports including the amazing new Jetlev (google it!). Amazing to see our guests flying around meters above the water in the air after only minutes of practice!

I have to admit some disappointment when I read your comment about our bathroom products. Yes, they are the "usual lotions and potions"....However they are very special "lotions and potions" that W Hotels have collaborated directly with Bliss in the USA. Even the Sex and the City girls love Bliss! So hopefully you will forgive this little area and still come back and visit us again soon.

I would love to hear from you in the future and will certainly do my best to ensure we impress again.

Until then, warm wishes

Reviewed 9 February 2012

This trip was by far the most amazing trip to thailand i have ever experienced mostly because of the hotel. The food was absolutely divine as well as the cocktails and the service by all the staff. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi N C,

Many thanks for posting such a wonderfully positive review of your stay with us.

Needless to say we really appreciate your vote of confidence in our Retreat and in the team of talent who make everything happen the way it does.

Please reach out to me if ever you or your family or friends are planning another trip to Koh Samui. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Warm wishes

Reviewed 7 February 2012

W Samui is very funky and cool. The villas are well designed and although there is little pool privacy when staying up on the hill, the beach side villas are extremely private. It is nice to stay somewhere where the private pool is actually swimmable rather than just a plunge pool, which seems the norm these days. Breakfast at the Kitchen Table is phenomenal as well as Namu serving excellent Japanese food. The twice cook pork melts in your mouth and the salmon is sea fresh. Its fantastic to see a Japanese restaurant of this caliber on Koh Samui. Naturally the W brand is a bit cutting edge and maybe a bit too funky and modern for an older crowd although the service is excellent. Price wise a bit on the expensive side, but that what you expect to pay for the W standard.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank vokie

Hello Vokie,

Thanks for your comments here regarding your recent stay with us.

Yes, we are different from the other resorts on Koh Samui and we always endeavour to deliver what's new and what's next, especially in areas of design, music and fashion. It is sometimes a little different than guests first expect, but that is why I am always happy to help any guest who contacts me for advice.

You have mentioned a couple of my favourite dishes here. I am very proud of our kitchen team who have worked very hard to earn us a wonderful reputation on the island. This is certainly proved by us welcoming many guests from other resorts every night, especially to Namu.

So thank you again for sharing your experiences here. I hope it wont be the last time you visit our Retreat. Please reach out next time and I will do my best to coordinate your future stay with us.

Warm wishes

Reviewed 19 January 2012

They have done exceptionally well with the setting of this hotel, when you initially walk in and look out across the pool sitting area, it's breathtaking. So lovely, so romantic so perfect (apart from a tropical storm that decided to hang over us for 10 days).

We had an ocean view room with a private pool. With this room there wasn't really a good view of the ocean and it wasn’t very private either - don't take this room if you would like to tan topless or naked :-) These rooms have a pathway in the back of them which leads to all of the other rooms which are also ocean front ... the "private property" you are on, isn't really private as there were always locals fishing right outside our "private plunge pool area". Not ideal for using the open plan bathroom / bathtub which looks out to the ocean and on to the fishermen and the other hotel guests walking by. However, the idea was great ... they just need to add some privacy bush or something. I did use the bath once, it was lovely lying in the bath looking over the ocean ... but I had to wear my bikini as there was a local fisherman standing on the rock wall about 5 meters away. Overall the rooms were lovely, I think I can say the room ties for 1st with The One and Only in Maldives for the best room I've ever stayed in.

The staff, they were overly polite. Very kind very lovely and they would do almost anything for you .. Providing they can understand you and you can understand them. I know you need to talk slow for them to understand what you are saying but my boyfriend massively struggled communicating. There were a few of them who could speak English well ... especially the main Thai girl in the reception area, she was sooo damn good! Exceptional! I wish I could remember her name. Anyway, we failed to understand why they would put someone answering the "whatever whenever" phone calls who can't speak or understand English. That was extremely frustrating. The majority of the staff spoke such bad English that we actually questioned if this was due to this hotel being so new they could only get the leftover English speaking staff. They can only improve and they did try very very hard.

Gym, Fantastic! Great equipment ... lots of room ... nothing to complain about. Excellent view as well.

Restaurants: They were great as well ... can't complain there ... apart from 1 thing (I think this was due to us being there at a peak time of the year, xmas and New years ... but for some reason the staff always told us we needed to book the Japanese restaurant and for some reason it was always booked up from 8:30pm ... so we'd get the 7pm sitting ... staying there until 9:30 or 10 ... and the place was never full. I have to say that was a bit frustrating having to go for dinner at such an early time when it was never full. It’s almost as if they wanted to keep the later time open in case people from outside wanted to come and dine there. The food there was fantastic, be sure to get the bonito sashimi.

Service at the beach, fantastic ... really really good.

Over all, this was a fantastic hotel and we had a great time. The staff really put in a lot of effort and went out of their way to make sure our stay was great.

I would highly recommend this hotel and I would also go back.

Room Tip: Ocean view isn't worth the money
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GeezerBird
WRetreat, General Manager at W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Hello Geezerbird,

Thank you for taking time to highlight your experience with us recently.

We definitely ordered better weather but somehow the order got confused and some rain was delivered instead. Apologies indeed! :-) Luckily it passed usually fairly quickly.

As I have mentioned before here, the Ocean Front Havens are definitely for those people wishing to have direct access to the beachside, whether facing Mae Nam bay or Bophut bay. It has always been a fine balance between providing view or maintaining privacy. However I am currently working with our Landscape Artist to see if we can work magic to provide both in most cases. Regardless of this however, we will certainly ensure that the fishermen understand that this is not the best area to fish in future too.

So happy to hear you enjoyed our dining options. Our signature restaurant, Namu is proving to be a hit amongst our guests and outside guests also. Yes, we did indeed have some "noshows" recently which created some challenges for us. So we will certainly be working on this to ensure that when we do indeed try to manage the small dining room to allow more people to experience this, it is taken use of throughout the entire night. Again, apologies for any frustration dining at 7pm caused. I hope you still enjoyed the amazing food created by our team of Talents.

And finally, I think you must be referring to our Welcome Manager, Luck. She is indeed "sooo damn good" and she has an amazing team to support her there, including the Talent on the "Whatever/Whenever" lines. We are continuing to develop new talent in this area and again, apologise for any inconvenience you suffered with regards to any communication issues. I will certainly work on this with Luck in the future.

I am delighted to hear that despite these few small items, you will definitely be returning to our Retreat and rest assured, I will be waiting to hear from you so we can do our best to impress again in the future. Until then, thank you again and hope you had a safe journey home.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Have stayed at many Starwood properties this one is as good as the best. I am a platinum starwood and was treated well. The service, the pool, the people and the design are great and the stay was very good. Food at the restaurants great and the pool rocks!! Highly recommended. Thomas T

Room Tip: I stayed in an ocean view retreat in the hotel on the 5th floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank thomasthetank

Hello thomasthetank (cool name by the way!),

Thanks for taking the time to rate us so highly here following your recent stay with us.

Needless to say, we highly value the incredible loyalty of Platinum SPG members and we do our best to ensure you have access to the best rooms, even though we are rated an "all suite" property.

Sounds like you really enjoyed our main WET deck, despite having your own private pool too.

Hope to see you back rocking at the pool again soon!

Reviewed 17 January 2012

You know from the moment you arrive at the Entrance Lobby that "The W Retreat", Koh Samui is very, very special!!!The Lobby Bar is one of the best we have seen anywhere in the world and it is a must visit even if you are not staying at The W Retreat. On an island that features some great branded hotels (such as:"Four Seasons", "Banyan Tree", "Conrad", "The Library" and "Napasai by Orient Express"), there is something about "The W Retreat" that makes it stand out from the crowd!!!The staff are very vibrant and seem to be having fun...they are a credit to the General Manager, Nick Downing who has a great eye for detail...when we arrived, Nick was in the pool at the Lobby Bar making sure the floating lights&ornaments were "just right"...not often you see the GM of a 5-star hotel willing to get his "hands dirty" and lead by example!!!Make no mistake, this is a world-class hotel experience on an island paradise!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank dspencerstripe

Hello dspencerstripe,

I am delighted to hear we made such an impression on you following your recent visit to W Retreat Koh Samui. The island features some amazing resorts now and they all appeal to very different people which is part of the magic of this island.

However it is always a pleasure to welcome guests from these other resorts. They always fall in love with our spectacular entrance and adjacent Woobar, whether during the day with incredible infinity view effect which words cannot describe or whether it is in the evening as the reflection pond with sunken seating transforms and energises into a completely different vibe. Our Mo-Hee-Toe Madness evenings at Woobar are becoming an island "must do" and we have great plans ahead to take this to an even higher level soon!

Yes, my team (and many guests) realise I have a certain fixation to ensure that the lighting and design is "just right". Hopefully everyone does indeed appreciate the effort that the entire team puts in to create extraordinary experiences here at the Retreat.

Thank you again for your kind words and I hope it wont be too long before we can welcome you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mae Nam
Six Senses Samui
#31 of 185 in Bophut
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Sandalwood Luxury Villas

Been to W Koh Samui? Share your experiences!