“Modern luxury, hip vibe”

W Retreat Koh Samui
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Modern luxury, hip vibe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

“The trendy Starwood hotel group has grown to 38 properties offering a mix of modern 'luxury' with a hip vibe. This property is nothing short of these standards. Although there are no red carpets directing you to a runway over the ocean, it sure feels like it after a walk through the resort! The resort is uniquely positioned at the point of Mae Nam and Bophut beaches; allowing you to watch the sunrise and beautiful sunset from the beach. Whether you are seeking pure island relaxation or fine dining and nightlife nearby, the W Retreat is a wonderful way to experience the island and surely a cut above other W hotels I’ve experienced or heard about.”

Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Hello Consigliera-S,

What a wonderful review to share...thank you!

It's always great to hear when guests feel we provide justice to the exciting W Hotels brand which is now becoming famous for providing what's new/next in terms of fashion, design and music combined with outstanding luxury service.

Actually, can you believe that W Hotels has now expanded to 44 hotels and retreats with the recent openings in Singapore and Bangkok? In fact it will soon be 45 with the opening of Guangzhou in China in the coming months!

So thank you again for sharing your thoughts that we rate up there amongst the best of W Hotels you have experienced. I can only hope that we will welcome you back again soon. We have plenty more planned for 2013 which I am sure will continue to impress moving forward.

Until we see you again, warmest wishes
Nick Downing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

We stayed 4days in the resort, had an ocean front haven villa.
Villa- very nice ,mixture of warmth and contemporary decor. Nice bathroom and a comfortable day bed in the garden near the pool.
Service- staff are very polite , helpful and service oriented.
F&B - breakfast at Kitchen Table is fantastic and you will spoiled by the wide selection / quality food provided. Dinner at Namu was a very nice experience.
Spa- nice ambience, helpful manager but can be further improve with regards to techniques during the spa session.
We did enjoyed our stay and the quality of the property.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
Hello Wenhliz,

I am delighted that you managed to unplug and play during your recent stay at W Retreat Koh Samui.

We really do try and create an experience where guests can switch off from their every day lives and have some relaxation as well as some unique W Hotels style fun and excitement.

So thank you again for your comments and hope you can come and recharge again soon!

Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

My wife and I stayed 5 nights in December at the end of a lovely trip to Cambodia and Thailand. Having travelled around the globe, we agree that this W Resort is one of the most enjoyable hotels we've been to anywhere. Our villa was really lovely, although we would have much preferred an ocean-front view. The beach is gorgeous. The service is really attentive and pleasant, consistently. Very special attention was provided by Sara, Robert and the other staff at the beach, bars and restaurants. We had no trouble getting buggy rides around the property, promptly. Also, lifts in the van to Chaweng or the Fisherman's Village were available for free, at fixed times. However, it is important to reserve a seat if the hotel is busy. Breakfasts were outstanding- both the quality and variety of foods. Sunset martinis (2 for one) on the beach were so enjoyable. In terms of restauarants, we enjoyed a gourmet meal at Nobu- arguably one of the best japanese meals we've ever had, anywhere. One drawback is the price of the spa treatments. There are places in Chaweng for a small fraction of the price. All in all, fabulous place. We'd go back, for sure.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello thetraveldoc,

As a well seasoned Tripadvisor reviewer, thank you for sharing such positive comments about your recent experience at W Retreat Koh Samui and for ranking us so highly in comparison to many of your experiences so far.

It really sounds as though you enjoyed the overall design and style of service that we managed to deliver during your stay. I am particularly delighted to see that you connected personally with Robert and Sarah who are both excellent ambassadors for the Retreat.

I am also delighted to read of your positive memories of Namu (actually guests quite often confuse our "Namu" with the possibly more well known "Nobu"). Although the first Namu was actually launched when W Seoul Walkerhill opened in Korea in 2004!

It sounds like you took advantage of our daily shuttle runs to Chaweng (the local town center) located 20-25 minutes away. Yes, we do recommend booking for the shuttle to ensure we have enough seats. Of course if one shuttle is full, we can always arrange a second one as long as we know in advance, hence we request guest to book their preferred option.

As for your comments on the Away Spa, rest assured that we will continue to look at ways to impress. There is no doubt that our large Away Spa with its unique villa layout is always going to cost more than the local spas in Chaweng. However we are currently looking at ways to impress our guests even more with our expeience so that guest realise the difference is worth it.

So thank you again for your outstanding review. Rest assured we would love to welcome you back and hopefully you will reach out to me personally when that time comes.

In the meantime, warm wishes from us all.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

My family and i stayed there for 10 nigths just after it had opened, so some things were not working correctly, but appart from that we had an amazing time, the scene of the hotel and the design is magnificant. The price of the rooms are astronomical.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Hello ralph6429,

Thanks for sharing your brief thoughts about your stay with us.

It sounds like you may have stayed a fair while ago so I am not sure whether I can comment on the state of the facilities as you mention which I am sure are all quite different and functioning perfectly now. However I am delighted to hear that your found the design of the retreat magnificent. Likewise I am sure that you may find the pricing of the retreat comparible with other leading resorts on Koh Samui. Rest assured that it is our true endeavour to ensure we provide an experience to justify the value and to ensure nothing but positive memories!

Thanks again for sharing your feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

We stayed at W for two nights, wanting a more unique Thailand island experience, hence we chose Koh Samui instead of other overly touristy destinations like PP Island or Pattaya.
The biggest disappointment happened when we first arrived at the retreat. The stunning infinity pool-bar Lotus Pond was under maintenance. The pool was empty with no water and the bar was closed. W ran other activities during the maintenance period to compensate however things just do not work this way. I would appreciate it if W notified me of the no pool-bar situation in advance when I made my booking, and let me decide if I would still want to stay with them. At the end of the day Lotus Pond is one of the key feature of the retreat as it is shown on all its marketing products.
Staff, from F&B to spa, were approachable in general but not proactive. We had to asked for towels for the sun loungers, drink menus from the bar at the beach and other bits and pieces which normally you would expect the staff to think ahead and take care of.
Having said that the exclusivity of the retreat without a doubt added a sense of luxury to the trip. When there were thousands of backpackers fighting for a spot to sun bath in the main beach, just the thought of the access to the private beach of W would put a smile on our faces.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello JenTSE,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the surroundings and location of W Retreat Koh Samui.

It's a shame that your review has only just posted now as your stay was obviously early in 2012 when we had to make an unscheduled repair to our reflection pond. Sometimes such sitautions are beyond out control and we did indeed try to make this repair as quickly as possible.

Additionally, as you mentioned, we had special happenings every night around the Retreat in an effort to make up for this sitaution at the time.

Of course I do agree that this area is one of our signature and iconic features so I can certainly understand the disappointment and I certtianly apologise in retrospect.

I do hope that next time you may visit Koh Samui, you reach out to me personally and I can do my best to ensure that we look after you with a special Woobar MoHeeToe (...or two!) while enjoying the reflection pond now in all it's glory.

Cape Town, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

We stayed at the W for 3 nights early in January. Let me just say that the resort itself is incredibly beautiful. We stayed at an ocean-front villa and it was truly stunning.

It is such a shame that the service we received here was such a let-down. When you're paying over $1 200 per night, you do expect everything to be efficient. Also, we spent quite a bit of time in the resort, so we also spent extra money on food and drinks.

I would have expected the manager of the resort to come and introduce themselves personally to us. I think we might have seen him around (if that was him), but it would have made such a difference to have him personally welcome us.

The first night at the Woobar, we waited 20 minutes for our drinks (one beer and one soda water), so it should never have taken that long. We complained, but no-one took much notice. At breakfast, we had to ask four different people for coffee before we got it. We thought we'd give the Woobar another chance and went back the second night - only to have even worse service. We eventually tracked down Sea, who tried her best, but it is just completely unacceptable levels of bad service in a resort of this calibre. The housekeeping staff never replaced the long life milk in our villa, so I had to call and ask for this the next morning - and then I was charged extra for it.

It is a beautiful resort, with amazing views and lovely beach - but I would think long and hard about spending so much money and not receiving world-class service. We won't go back.

4 Thank Lynnie07
Hello Lynnie07,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay with us.

I am of course very happy to hear that you loved the overall style of the Retreat when you visited us over the recent Festive Season period.

Of course, we also recognise how important it is to deliver the exceptional service our guests expect when we are charging those higher festive season rates and as such I am disappointed to ehar that we didnt get things right as you mentioned.

As you will no doubt have read here from many other reviews, I definitely do try and make myself known to many guests and remain visible as much as possible. I am certainly sorry if I didnt manage to connect in person directly during your stay with us. As you also mention however, I am very happy to have a great team of talent who assist me to ensure that we stay on track as there is no doubt that one person alone cannot or should not make the only difference to a guest experience. As such, Sea (as one of our "W Insiders") performs an exceptional role is liaising with guests to ensure that we do everything possible to create wonderful memories.

Of course, while it was great to hear that Sea was able to assist, I do again apologise for even having to make that connection in the first place and rest assured that your comments have been discussed with the team here with a view to always trying to improve.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback and I certainly hope that you will indeed return to the Retreat in the future and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in person next time.

Sincerely and with warm wishes
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

We ate at Namu one evening during our two week stay on Koh Samui. Before we ate we had some drinks to watch the sunset in what truly is a very special setting on the island. The hotel design of what we saw was state of the art and forward thinking, all the staff were also incredibly helpful and attentive. The thoughts of...WISH WE WERE STAYING HERE spring to mind again.

The whole experience at Namu was a joy with the chef SK Choi turning out some of the best food we had ever had. We liked it so much we arranged to eat there a second time with the added surprise that my girlfriend had arranged with the management for us to have a private cooking lesson with SK Choi. This was a great experience and the sushi making is now coming on a dream at home!

Special thanks go to all involved at the W for this was the first time they had conducted such a lesson and it was done so professionally and it was a lot of fun.

We met another couple who were staying at the hotel on their Honeymoon and they said that the hotel was an incredible experience and the service is five star.

Easy to say we are planning our trip to the W for next year.

Hello Phil3008,

Thanks for your recent review of your experience with us.

I am delighted you had such a memorable experience, especially at Namu our specialty Japanese influenced restaurant.

As I have mentioned in recent months, we are very happy to announce our new Head Chef at Namu, "S.K." Choi. Originally from Korea (incidentally where W Hotels first Namu restaurant was launched at W Seoul Walkerhill a few years ago), SK most recently joined us from his experiences at Bellagio in Las Vegas.

SK joins us with an exciting brief to raise the game at Namu from it's existing reputation for being one of the leading dining experiences on the island to creating something even more successful and accessible for more and more guests now wishing to experience this special style of "Asian Tomorrow" cuisine.

SK is working on a new menu as we speak (we have the fun job of tasting all his new creations!) and we will hopefully be expanding dining options in the near future. We are even working on plans to launch a special lunch menu for the first time. Stay tuned for this in the coming weeks and months ahead.

In the meantime, your cooking class with SK (his first here at W Retreat Koh Samui) was indeed a success and we will be looking to offer this to other interested guests in between his hectic schedule. So thanks for your amazing feedback and we certainly hope to welcome you back for longer next time.

All the very best.
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
#2 of 187 in Bophut
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,521 reviews
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui

Been to W Retreat Koh Samui? Share your experiences!