“WOW WOW WOW WOW...”

Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Australia
“WOW WOW WOW WOW...”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

i spent a wonderful week at this resort, i've stayed in some wonderful hotels around the world but this would have to be one of the best five star hotel I've stayed in recently.

We were picked up in a luxurious Mercedes at the airport and within 15 minutes arrived at the luxurious W Retreat located in Mae Nam. As the pictures reflect it is truly amazing and the sheer beauty is inexpressible until you physically see it in person. Check in was extremely prompt and it was lovely gesture of the General Manager Nick to introduce himself to us.

Hotel Room: We booked the jungle room based on reading previous reviews stating the Ocean View Escape rooms are not as 'private'. Room had a comfy bed with large lcd tv ( tho we borrowed some dvd's and found we couldn't adjust the tv setting and viewing the movies was extremely dark on the screen). Outdoor show which i didn't get an opportunity to use, indoor shower and a luxurious bathtub with a flat tv to view.
Private pool was exceptionally big, a 10m x 2m pool substantial enough to do laps.
Wifi connection was choppy throughout our stay
Sweet Treats: always looked forward coming back to the hotel to see what goodies would be left for us!

Room Service: Wish there was more of a selection ( i'm just a tad greedy) but the local Thai dishes we ordered was yummy.
Sweet Spots: All you can eat ice cream and drinks! - what more do i say?..I'm still trying to work off all the ice cream I've eaten.

Restaurant: The Kitchen Table serves an amazing range of breakfast. From the fresh juices to the freshly cooked pancakes I was in heaven every morning.
Namu: We have NOBU back at home and i can honestly say this is on par if not better in some ways. Dined here for two nights and was delicious both occasions, soft shell tempura roll is a must try for anyone dining here.

Spa: Wish i had more spa treatments here, unfortunately i was only able to get a booking the day before i was departing. Got the Well Travelled massage and i nearly fell asleep - that's how good it was.

Woobar: Didn't have a drink here but it was truly spectacular at night with the resident dj spinning great tunes every night

Location: Tucked away from the bustle part of town, hotel offers a shuttle to Chaweng and Fisherman's Village daily.

Thank you for such a great week and a stay which will be hard to beat. We can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: Jungle Rooms are lovely with partial views
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mocha88
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Hello mocha88,

WoW...What a Wonderful Week of WOWs! :-)

Thank you so much for sharing such thorough thoughts about your recent experience with us.

I am honestly so thrilled to see that you enjoyed everything from Namu to the private pools, from the sweet spots to the amazing breakfast display.

I do have to admit that for some reason we have been experiencing some issues with our complimentary wifi system. In fact we have some consultants with us at this very moment working on how we can improve our system in the future, especially now with everyone traveling with more and more mobile devices.

I really do thank you for your glowing recommendations and I certainly hope that we will welcome you back again so we can prove that such incredible experiences can indeed happen again and again.

I hope to hear from you.

In the meantime, please accept warm wishes from us all.
General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

WOW WOW WOW! This place is out of this world! We stayed here for 7 nights and celebrated our wedding here on the 3/3/13.
I was a little concerned when we first arrived as the contact (Nok)I had been dealing with for the last year with our wedding plans had left the company, however I was greeted by the wonderful Mew who had been well informed and was well up to date with all our wedding plans and made me feel confident once again!
The wedding was absolutely amazing we had 35 adults and 9 children and every guest (even the kids) that came said it was the best wedding they had ever been to. We were blessed with great weather and tied the knot under the palm trees at the Sip bar!
The food, ceremony, drinks and music were outstanding and the team at W and Bliss insured that the day was perfect for us! We looked at so many places on Samui to get married and we were so glad we picked this resort, if your looking for a private beautiful beach with the best food and service in Samui to get hitched at then this is the place for you!

You must check out the spa at the retreat it is more expensive than most spas but well worth every penny! We loved our treatments!

Breakfast is to die for probably one of the best we've ever had so much choice and freshness.... Drooling thinking about it!

The location is a little away from the busy areas but its a retreat so perfect if you don't want to get hassled or if you want to completely unwind and relax In the most beautiful place in Samui! It's only 5 mins drive from the charming fishermans village (which in my mind is much nicer than Chawang and Lamai) and so easy to get to....you just dial whatever whenever they deliver a buggy to your room and when you get to the main area there is a driver with a door open to a taxi.... It just flows! Also they have complimentary shuttles to Chawang if you want that hussel and bussel for the day/night!

All the staff were exceptional at the the W retreat, Nic the GM has such an amazing team and this is a credit to what a fantastic manager he is! I just wanted to say a massive thanks to all the staff that we met from the security cards and buggy drivers to the Insiders and managers! There was not one member of staff we met that didn't smile or welcome us with open arms!
A big big thanks to Sea, we absolutely fell in love with this lady she was not only amazing on our wedding day but everyday we saw her... She really made the trip for us! Also to Tom (insider) Ice (insider i think?) the cute little 1/2 Irish girl at the Woo bar (sorry don't know her name) and Nok at the Woo bar for giving us that extra exceptional service!

Thanks to the W gang at Koh Samui we are now W addicts and are looking for our next fix so we've decided on a little weekend at the retreat in Bali however they have big shoes to fill!

Thanks once again to Nic and the team we will definately be back!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Tictac73
Hello tictac73,

First of all, a huge thank you for your WOW review of your recent stay with us.

There is no doubt that our Retreat is the perfect setting for a small wedding with a difference. I have to admit however that we do limit the number of weddings we do to ensure we really focus on those we accept. We understand how important such events are in people's lives and it is our goal to ensure that not only does the special day go perfectly, but that the people who come for such an event, truly relax, have a great time and enjoy the time with family and friends.

I am delighted that many of the team made such an impression. There is no doubt we have some real characters who provide such colour to our Retreat. Sea and Sarah are both incredible personalities that are hard to forget. Ice (our Liquid Manager...yes that really is his title!) is a true gem that continues to impress guests along with other talent such as Nok and Tom of course! And I am delighted that Mew was able to step in and ensure that your overall planning went without a hitch.

As you know, we certainly hope that we now consider you as family and that we hope you will come back often to relive some of the magic you had recently. Needless to say, I hope to hear from you so I can help with such arrangements.

Until then, you both have our very best wishes and we wish you many years of happiness together.

See you soon...we hope!
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Thank you Nick! Thank you Tom! Thank you Robert! Thank you Sea! Thank you SK Choi! And a big thank you to each and every one of the fantastic Talent at W Retreat Koh Samui for making our five nights there, the best of our lives.

Let me just say that I travel a lot. Somewhere in the vicinity of 200 nights per year. I get to stay at crap hotels, plain hotels, great hotels and then you have the ones that really stand out, like W Retreat Koh Samui.

This place is unique. It is the whole package that makes it unique. Yes, the location is great, the resort is awesome. But the people; they are just out of this world. The Talent (which they are called), led by the General Manager, Nick, are all fantastic.

From the prompt and courteous response with Nick when booking our stay, to the pre-arrival communication with Tom (W Insider) for pickup, restaurant reservations etc, to the incredibly heart warming welcome by not only Nick himself, but also his staff... All this before we even had checked in :)

After being guided around by Nick, with our welcome drink we were checked in to our Ocean view retreat. Nick promised us one of the more private ones, and he made good on that promise. I think it was no 236 (correct me if I'm wrong, Nick :) ). The villa is perfect. Great W bed and linens (nicely decorated with a heart shaped rose petals), huge bathroom with two showers, one indoor and one outdoor, bathtub and with with sliding doors straight out to the pool... Or if you are anything like me, with huge windows towards a spectacular sea view.

The private pool deck is really nice, with a big day bed which is perfect for dosing off or reading. Huge, huge pool. We have stayed at a few other resorts, both on Koh Samui, but also Phuket, Phang Nga and Hua Hin. But none of them were even close to this one.

Let me summarize the rest of our stay in bullet points, so that I don't exceed the character limit:

- Woobar is awesome. The bartenders are super attentive, social and make fantastic drinks. The thai spiced popcorn is also really nice. The bartender arranged a couple of bags to take home so that we could make our own. Nick, please let him know that we got it through customs. He was worried that it might look suspicious ;) Also, Woobar has a really nice snack menue for late night munchies.

- The Kitchen Table serves an out of this world breakfast. If you can think of it, they have it (except mangoes, as they were out of season :) ). Also had dinner here a couple of times, and their Phad Thai is really nice. If there is anything you would like that is not on the menu? No worries, they will put it together for you.

- Namu was visited on two occations. Our first afternoon, we had arranged with Tom to have a cooking class with SK Choi, the chef at Namu. We had a really great time, and my wife even got an applause for her effort. I did not :) We also were able to enjoy the food that we had made, sitting at the chefs table, watching him prepare food for the other guests, and also chatting with him, getting even more tips during the evening. FANTASTIC!!
The second night at Namu, we also sat at the chefs table. Also an incredible evening. SK is a true entertainer, and a world class chef.

- Sip was one of the few places that really let me down a little. The location is fantastic, just by the beach, with a fantastic view perfect for watching the sunset. Every evening they have Wowtinis 2for1, but there were hardly any people here.

- The beach with all the bean bags, lounge chairs and hammocks is paradise. There was a storm a few days prior to our arrival, so the water was not very clear, but I did not even notice. Watch out for the sun if you decide to lay down in a hammock!

- We spent a few hours in the Away SPA one day. The treatments were really nice and the small secluded villas are so charming. Wish we had more time to enjoy more treatments.

- SWEAT, or the gym, is well equipped. Did not spend much time here, as I got the exercise I needed walking to and from our villa

We did not get to try the tennis court or private dining. But next time!

- Every Friday at Woobar you can enjoy unlimited MooHeeToes. We were however lucky enough to be there on the first Friday of the month for MooHeeToe Magnified with fireworks and fire dancers. Incredible! After the show was over we went to Fishermans Village, to Juzz'a Pizza. Great italian food.

Again, I want to thank Nick for making our stay unforgettable. Starwood and W are lucky to have you. I hope you stay on for a long time, that you continue to develop the resort, and that we are able to catch up again soon. If you are ever in my neighborhood, you have my email/number.

Give our best to every one of your Talent. We miss you already.

Best regards,
Marianne & Thor

2 Thank thorhansen
Hello thorhansen,

I have started this reply so many times. However somehow I have been distracted before finishing. So let me be very brief to ensure I acknowledge your amazing review (and pictures!) of your recent stay with us.

Thank you! It was honestly a huge pleasure to meet you and I am delighted that you managed to connect with so many members of our team. It makes such a difference when we manage to do this as I am a big believer that the best experiences come from the people, despite how magnificent a building or resort may be. So I am so happy to hear that you left with such great feelings about your experience with us.

Needless to say, we would LOVE to welcome you back and I do hope it wont be too long before we are sharing another MoHeeToe Madness together in the future. And maybe we can arrange a followup lesson with Choi ;-)

Until then, thank you on behalf of all the team here at W Retreat Koh Samui!

Warmest wishes
General Manager.

ps, I am happy to hear that you managed to get the spices back home... A little taste of Koh Samui to remember us by!
Ko Samui, Thailand
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Tucked away on a hilltop on the northern end of Samui is this fabulous retreat... The name says it all. Great service ( nearly impossible on Ko Samui ) and a breathtaking view make this a sexy, not-too-trendy delight. The night time vibe was chill, with a DJ and a nice outdoor groove. I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Probably not the best choice for families with small kids.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael A
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Hello MIchael A,

Thanks for sharing your brief review of your recent experience with us.

I think you have managed to capture the vibe of our Retreat all in a few sentences and I am delighted to know you had such a great time with us.

I would also agree (as you would note from some of my previous responses here) that there are possibly better resort experiences for families on Koh Samui mainly due to our design and style and location.

Thank you again for sharing your review with us and let's hope we welcome you back again in the near future.

Warm wishes,
Sydney
Reviewed 6 March 2013

The W Hotel is one of the most amazing and beautiful Hotels I have ever experienced. From the moment you step out of the car into the main entrance everything is just so glamorous. I travelled with a young group, our ages were around 21-24.. We were expecting to be looked slightly down upon due to our age, however this was not the case. We were well and truly looked after. We had cocktails at the Main bar with the amazing island view in the pond seats, it was truly breathtaking during the sunset and cocktails were to die for. The bar/restaurant manager introduced himself to us and ask if everything was ok and warmly welcomed us. I just loved the atmosphere, the music, the lights and everything so high-tec. If you are travelling to Koh Samui it is a must to go here, even just for cocktails and experience the W Retreat Koh Samui!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tyler C
Hello TC1206,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about W Retreat Koh Smaui following your experiences with us.

I notice the pictures of Woobar which you have shared are from last year before the new styling enhancements which we are about to celebrate with our official Relaunch at the end of March 2013. However even seeing the "before" pictures reminds us of how lucky we are with our amazing location perched overlooking the Gulf of Thailand with 180 degree views from our iconic sunken loungers.

I am delighted to hear that you have such wonderful memories of your experiences here and rest assured we would love to welcome you back again in the future!

Until then, thanks again and warm wishes
Brentwood, Essex
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This is simply the best hotel we have ever had the pleasure in staying! My husband and I had heard very good things about the retreat and we were certainly not disappointed!

Firstly, I had been in touch with the retreat in advance of our stay as we were celebrating my husband's birthday. We arrived in Bangkok and the staff at the W (Koh Samui) had posted a card to our hotel wishing him a very happy birthday, such a lovely, unexpected, personal touch!

We arrived at the W a few days later and WOW! As soon as you arrive you are greeted by the most friendly staff, walking through to the reception area is amazing, the design is outstanding with stunning views stretching out across to the sea.

We had an amazing 'room' down close to the beach with a private pool, double day bed and loungers on a beautiful grass area. Again the design and finishing touches are brilliant, from "your weight in chocolate" to the little bear on your bed, you'll have to stay to understand! The room also includes an Illy coffee machine for coffee lovers!

There are two fantastic bars and two resturants, we went to both bars and one of the restaurants, The Kitchen Table which is also where breakfast is served. We also had some bar food and room service, all consistently excellent!

All in all we could not recommend this place highly enough, a real gem which oozes style!

1 Thank KittyKat7574
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Hello KittyKat7574

Thank you for your stunning review of your recent experience at W Retreat Koh Samui.

I am thrilled to hear that we made such a wonderful impression and that you enjoying so many aspects of our Retreat.

Of course we do our best to engage and excite our guests on many levels and I hope you enjoyed the small surprise even before you arrived! Guests certainly do arrive with high expectations of our Retreat so it is a challenge we love to accept and thrive on.

I certainly hope this wont be the last time we welcome you back and hope to hear from you in the future.

Warmest wishes
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 3 March 2013

My wife and I just stayed here for 4 nights on our honeymoon. We stayed in a jungle oasis villa close to the beach. It was simply amazing. I was a bit hesitant about booking the W as some of their properties in NY are a bit naff (trying to be cool) - but this place is different class. The Villa is out of this world - cool modern design, spacious, private garden, private pool, indoor shower, out door shower, free standing bath tub. The beach is spacious and gives you privacy. The food at the Japanese restaurant is fantastic, as are the drinks at the beach bar. Service was great, helpful, attentive and made us feel welcomed and at home.
The only 2 downsides were that the free internet in the room constantly didnt work (even after the technician came) and that if you book your room without breakfast then be ready to shelve out $80 USD for 2!
Other than that I can highly recommend this hotel - we loved it!

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the beach.
1 Thank wheeeeetos
Hello wheeeeetos,

Thank you for your recent review of your experience at W Retreat Koh Samui.

I am delighted to hear that despite some initial hesitations, you both had an incredible honeymoon with us. I am happy to see that you loved our style and our service delivery. Needless to say that is what we aim for.

Apologies for the internet issues. Rest assured we are continually looking at ways to ensure we deliver higher and more effective complimentary internet service moving forward. We do consider this a basic and essential service these days.

In the meantime, thanks again for sharing your comment and we certainly hope to welcome you back in the future for your anniversary perhaps?

Until then, congratulations from us all and wishing you many years of happiness together.

Warm wishes
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
#2 of 187 in Bophut
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,536 reviews
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui

Been to W Retreat Koh Samui? Share your experiences!