“Mixed feeling” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Tokyo, Japan
“Mixed feeling”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

I must say that staff is very friendly and they were running the place the best they could do. The resort has the best facilities, however, I must say it has not been maintained well. The room was great, however, it looked already worn out and the details were not there in cleaning. It is probably because of high turn over every day so I undestand why, but for someone who pays 600 USD per night, having a provate pool is not good enough. When we checked in, the cushion for the sun deck was not set, instead it was pushed against the wall. When we removed it it looked like they were sittign there for at least 2-3 days. We spent most of the time in the beach area which was secluded from the rest of the world, so we really had a great time. Staff everywhere was very nice. it was a busy resort, but for the first few days we hardly see any presence of "Management" which led us to feel that the place was not managed hands on. None the less, we did enjoy the stay at the place but probably was not worth the price we paid.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank maoinusa
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, 20 April 2013
Hello maoinusa,

First of all, thanks for sharing your thoughts about your recent experience with us.

Needless to say I am sorry to hear that we left you having mixed feelings about our Retreat. We certainly do aim to impress at every level.

I can understand your comments and you are indeed right that certain works we had planned earlier in the year had to be delayed due to the unexpectedly high occupancy in recent months. Having said that, this is by no means an excuse in any way, as every guest deserves the very best that W Retreat Koh Samui has to offer. I can explain for example that even as I type this response, we are completing works on the main facade of the Welcome Building. Additionally at the end of this month, we will be completing a renovation of the main pool and pool bar area to lift this area back to its prime with a striking new design. All of this on back of the recently relaunched restyled Woobar and W Lounge.

So thank you for your comments. Rest assured we take them to heart and I hope that you reach out to me in the future should you ever consider a return trip to our island. It would be my pleasure to show you that we can indeed provide the experience which will leave you will much stronger positive feelings next time!

With warm wishes
General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

was totally impressed by W. A truly amazing experience in Koh Samui. We planned to do a lot of things in Koh Samui but when we reach at W we were just reluctant to leave this place. The service, the people and the place making W a fantabulous place. Staffs are friendly and attentive, buggy service is good, they even have 24 hours valet service. They greet us by name every time we called them. Whatever Whenever service is awesome, it makes everything just a call away. Love the private pool in the room where I can just jump into it anytime I want!!

DVD library has limited choices of movies but good enough for us. Breakfast has not much choices but some of the food are really nice. Woo bar and Sip bar have different view of the sea and both are nice. We tried the Namu Japanese restaurant, sashimi is fresh!! We met the Director of Culinary and Beverage of W - Robert, a really friendly guy who concern a lot about the customer satisfaction. He even gave us some suggestion on things to do in W and Koh Samui.

I just love every single thing in this place. Will definitely come back again!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Joey K
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Hello Joey K,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments...and photos!

Am thrilled to hear you had a fantabulous stay with us, including a wonderful Namu experience. Our specialty Japanese influenced restaurant is certainly creating waves on the Samui dining scene. It's becoming so popular, Robert and our Namu head chef "SK" Choi are about to launch a limited menu in the evenings at SIP Beach Bar and even working on plans to start opening for lunch soon. So stay tuned!

(In fact SK is about to go head to head on Thailand's version of Iron Chef...we are wishing him luck!)

Thanks for sharing such positive comments for everyone to read and we also look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

All the best and warm wishes
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

Stayed at W for 4 nights and it was nothing short of amazing.

The infrastructure was impressive and well thought out - the seats in the sunken pool was a dream to chill in at night with martinis and live DJ spinning; the resort is so big you never feel claustrophobic even though there are many guests around. The main building is super breezy and the view is absolutely stunning of the Koh Samui seas. Staff were friendly and very helpful with dining tips, and the to-dos in Koh Samui.

The rooms were amazingly big - the pool spans the length of the room and there is a daybed for chilling. There are 2 showers and 1 tub in each room. Basically you get the feel of a villa, but there is no unnecessary space wasted. What amazed us was the fact that the outdoor area was clean and there weren't any insects crawling around (or insect droppings for the matter) - a sign of a well maintained property. We have been in expensive villas around Asia where the rooms were great but the outdoor area was littered with leaves, or generally worn out from use.

We tend to be more pool than beach people but we loved the pebble-y Mae Nam beach. There is also a sandbank off the tip of Mae Nam which was really cool to walk about. The staff at the beach bar were absolutely helpful in arranging for daybeds, sofas, towels and food. Note that the Chaweng beach is more powdery and fine whereas Mae Nam doesnt quite get that - worked for us as we hate sand flying into our drinks and food.

The only reasons why I didnt give the additional star were:
- Food: food at the resort was not up to our expectations. Perhaps as Asians who have travelled extensively throughout Thailand, we do suffer from having preconceieved notions of how we want our Thai food. The food here caters more to an international crowd. E.g. we ordered tom yum soup for supper and it was sweet. Room service recommended very politely that we asked for it to be spicy the next time we ordered, which was a bit strange given that we have never known tom yum soup to be sweet. There wasn't much Asian cuisine at breakfast each day (only an Asian soup "live" station). We ordered Western food a couple of times at the beach area and those turned out fine - evidence that they are indeed more comfortable with a Western palate.
- Buggy: The buggy drivers were absolutely excellent and polite. But there were just not enough buggys for the resort. We ended up walking on several occasions from our villa at the far end, to the reception, to the spa etc. There was one night where we had to wait almost 10 mins in the hotel lobby together with other guests for a buggy to arrive. All of us were left standing there without any staff at the driveway. It's a sprawling resort and I would expect there to be sufficient buggys to cater for the crowd. Resort being packed on Fridays and Saturdays is not a good excuse - you would always expect the resort to be packed over the weekends.

All in, an absolutely wonderful trip.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Hello H00ked0ntravel,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent experiences at W Retreat Koh Samui. Needless to say I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful time and really enjoyed so many areas of the Retreat.

I am delighted to read that you found our private pool villas immaculately prepared. That really is our goal 100% of the time and I am happy to you enjoyed your own private space.

I have to agree that I am actually more of a "pool guy" too so can appreciate your comments about our beach. We are very lucky when it comes to our amazing location on the northern side of the island. Our peninsula between MaeNam and BoPhut Bays is quite special and while we dont have the powdery white sand that some may expect, we really do have a wonderful location from which to enjoy the sunrise to sunset 270 degree panoramic views.

As for the issues you highlighted, rest assured that Robert and his culinary team are looking at launching even more culinary options this year to take us to a whole new level. So rest assured that we have been and are listening to our guests and taking action in this area to ensure we constantly raise the bar.

I am sorry that you encountered issues with the buggies during your stay. I have to admit that I am confident to explain that this was an exception rather than a rule. As you will read from other reviews recently, we usually have this area spot on and our team of Welcome Ambassadors are always "on the road" to move guests around as quickly as possible. I have to also admit that there is no such thing as a "packed Friday and Saturday" anymore. We run high occupancies almost constantly now, so we plan for maximum guests all the time and rest assured we would never use this as an excuse. Of course, yes, at some critical peak times, there is no doubt that it may take slightly longer and we rest assured we know this is an important area and thanks for raising this.

Overall however I am delighted to know that you left us with wonderful memories and we certainly hope to welcome you back again soon...and rest assured we will be aiming for five stars next time!

Until then, thank you again and warmest wishes
Abergele, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

Stayed at the w retreat for 3 nights in a pool villa what an amazing hotel as you walk in to the reception you are greeted with an amazing site ever I have posted a picture to show you . The villas are of very high quality lovely bathroom that leads out to the pool an outside shower plus an inside shower huge bath the beach is also very nice with big sun beds I can't recommend this hotel enough also very nice breakfast if you want a bit of luxury this is the place to be

Room Tip: We were near the beach and did not experience any noise
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank junior43
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Hello junior43,

Thank you for sharing your brief review of your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed everythign ranging from our private pool villas to our range of culinary offerings. We certainly aim to impress and I delighted to see we did on this occasion.

I hope we have the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Warm wishes,
melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

I had my ideas of what perfect would be. But this is beyond my imagination, and outdoes all the other resorts I've been to (and I've been to a fair few, including others in the Starwood chain). Actually, so good was this place, it made me forget the rest of my trip in koh samui - it's like we came to Koh Samui just for this!

Also, let me tell you the photos do not do this place justice. The sheer magnificence of its architecture couldnt be captured on camera. The best floor plan ever - again, something i could not have imagined up nor have i seen anywhere else! From the bed to the sunbed, to your very own private infinity pool being accessible from 2 points, including the bathroom.... My partner and I managed to enjoy a movie together whilst he waddled in the pool and i sat in the bath next to him the entire time.

The private beach is also VERY big, beautiful, and well serviced!

I admit that before arriving, i was a little worried with some negative feedback from others e.g. I heard reviews say that it was too far from Chaweng, and I'm not one that likes to stay at a resort or in one place all day. Well, DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM! It is actually very close, and there is a shuttle that takes you to and from chaweng. The other hotels in Chaweng are within walkign distance of all the bars and restaurants, but it's a rough walk (footpaths are tiny, and they are considerably far...the good ones anyway). And even then, I still find the hotels there damp, too loud, and too crowded. Yet just a ride back out from there that feels like only 5-10mins, you have the most amazing this resort! And one of the most memorable parts of my trip was actually teh ride back to the resort late at night - because i was looking forward to returning so much!

Also, we hired a scooter - which the fantastic concierge arranged for us. You would much rather have them arrange the scooter for you, because
1) since they have all your details, and being under the worldclass Starwood Hotels banner, you are guaranteed to feel at ease from all those horror story about scooter rental scams. You feel protected and taken care of
2) delivery straight to your door! We simply went up to the concierge, and 30mins later, the scooter arrived. Moreover, you receive a lot of reassurance from the lovely W Retreat staff that it is easy to ride. They were all very supportive and ensured we were comfortable riding around their valet parking area first :)
3) despite all these benefits, it was still extremely cheap to hire!

Food was excellent!!!! Again, beyond your imagination. I loved their juices in miniature glass bottles.

In terms of value for mone - you DEFINITELY get what you pay for. Some people complain about the price, but to me, they are not tasteful enough to appreciate the difference or take for granted that simple things, like sheets that dont feel damp in thailand, are actually very hard to achieve without ridiculously expensive and good quality sheets, strict laundry guidelines, a lot of maintenance to keep the place looking the way it does.

There's so much more I can say.. but - Don't waste your time reading my post - you must check it out for yourself!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: You should choose the most furthest room - it was extremely private, so much so that you can go midn...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Hello ILivetoLive,

Thank you for such an amazing review of your recent experience with us.

I am so happy to read so many of your comments which obviously backup what I have been suggesting to many readers here over the past couple of years. However I realise experiences are always personal and I do understand that people have their own opinion regarding issues such as our location.

It also sounds like you had a great time exploring the island in between soaking in the pool and taking in the recharging atmosphere of the Retreat itself. There is certainly not many places you can soak in your private pool while watching DVDs! And of course I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our culinary options!

Thank you again for such a positive review and of course I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

All the very best
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

Couldn't have asked for a better stay. Went there for our honeymoon August 2011 when they first opened. The resort's breathtaking, the staff is so friendly and attentive, and the breakfast buffet, omg drool! We can't wait to make our way back there.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank foodiefattie
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, 23 March 2013
Hello foodiefattie,

I am delighted to hear that you have amazing memories of your honeymoon with us!

Of course, please know that we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Trust me, Robert and his culinary team have even more to drool over now in our restaurants and bars!

Until then, wishing you years of happiness.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

I'm really late in writing this review, but my husband and I stayed at the hotel in May 2012. I really can't say enough nice things about this fabulous hotel. First of all, the lobby and bar area are just breathtaking! It's a magical place to just sit and have a cocktail outside and look out to the ocean.
The rooms were amazing and we had a private pool. Honestly, the pool was a little to cold to swim, but it was still nice to look at. :-) The rooms were great and bathrooms were amazing! We were there for 5 days and I could have stayed at this hotel for months! Love all the Bliss products that were stocked fresh every day too! The beds were super comfy.
The main pool was great and also had amazing views.They also have "sweet spots" all around the resort and you can pick up free waters ice cream!
The spa was maybe my best experience about the place. The ladies were so lovely and I seriously had the best massage I have ever had- I wish I could remember her name! It was so good, I went back the next day and had another massage before we left.
The hotel also has a nice shuttle service that will take you in to town. We loved walking around and checking out all the shops and restaurants.
Nick, the general manager, was super friendly and always happy to make sure we had everything we needed.
We're coming back to the island in May this year, and were sorry to see this property wasn't available for when we were coming in. But we will make sure to stop by for a drink at the bar at least!
Overall, it was a wonderful experience and you won't be sorry you stayed here!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kelly C
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Hi Kelly C!

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay last year...phew you just made it in time before the deadline to submit! But I am certainly pleased that you did.

I am honestly so excited to see that you have such great impressions and memories of your stay with us, despite the time having passed.

I note that you are coming back to Koh Samui this year. PLEASE contact me directly if you have any chance and let me see if there is anything I can do to get you to stay with us again. And even if for some reason we cannot make it happen, PLEASE contact me anyway and let's arrange to catch up. I am sure you would love to see all the changes that have finally happened at the entrance, W Lounge and Woobar. You wont believe the new artwork done by New York street artist, Alec Monopoly.

Thanks again for your five star vote of confidence and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Warmest wishes
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
#2 of 187 in Bophut
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,503 reviews
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui

Been to W Retreat Koh Samui? Share your experiences!