“Very relaxing, but in a state of flux”

Samui Native Resort and Spa
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Before going to Samui Native I read the other reviews, and was aware that there were changes afoot. Politics aside, I found the resort to be beautiful and peaceful. I'll break this review into three parts: 1. Room and facilities; 2. Staff, 3. Location.

1. Room. I paid and stayed in a bunglow beside the pool. The first room I was given had malfunctioning air conditioning, but once I made the staff aware of this I was quickly allocated a similar room with working a/c. The beds are huge, the room incredibly spacious, with panoramic windows on all side. The bed was comfortable, and the bedding clean. The room came with bed, locker with lamp, basin, tea and coffee facilities, fridge, television with satellite, free Wi-Fi, and a safe. The bathroom was incredibly spacious and clean, and the shower was delightful with good water pressure. The towels were many and changed everyday. There is no phone in the room, and the only real complaint I have is that the water was not replenished after the initial two bottles were given.
The hotel itself has a gorgeous swimming pool and is set in lovely gardens. There is a bar onsite, and no restaurant as such, but I believe this is in the works, which leads me on to point 2. The spa and massage facilities no longer exist.

2. I was originally greeted by an over enthusiastic man called Jeff, but within a few days he was dismissed from his post. The resort is now under the management of Dr ? (I cannot recall his name), but his son is helping in its day to day management. The cleaning staff (Doi) was very friendly, and after a few days I managed to figure out that you could get food if asked for in advance. This is all part of the change in management. The food I did eat was delicious, but there is no menu or restaurant as such. It will follow soon I believe.

3. Location. The hotel is set back from main Mae Nam. However, you can hire a moped for 250bht a day from the resort. I'm sure it could be cheaper from the town. You will need some sort of transportation as it is over a KM on country roads, but the setting is a lush garden landscape. With the moped you can be on the main strip of Mae Nam in 4-5 mins, and the beach in another two. There are lots of restaurants and bars, and massage areas.

Overall, I found my stay very relaxing, but a bit disconcerting. For the first three days there was a Greek couple staying at the resort, and up to my final day I was then on my own. It is a very restful resort, and the staff are friendly and gentle, but a bit misguided. WIth more time I am sure that Samui Native will find it's stride again. It is well built and maintained, and has a lovely peaceful setting.

I would return here, but it does need to sort out its management and staffing issues.

Room Tip: All the rooms are spacious and lovely. Even the non poolside bungalows are lovely, and the pool is o...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 July 2013

I have been going to samui native now for the past two years when I travel round Thailand.
And love the place .The relaxed friendly welcome you received from Andy and O it was like a home from home. I book in for one month. when I arrived I realized Andy and O know longer run the resort and the new management are using the same good reviews from Andy and O to make believe they are still running it .I stay for two days then found somewhere else to stay. The room was dirty, there was atmosphere the place looks really run down and the food was terrible .I was refunded from expedia because of the false advertising . But have checked the web sites and it is still been advertised that it is been run buy Andy and O which is wrong.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank dan293916
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My advise to anybody: do not go here or book here anymore. The managers since 3 years PÓh and Andy were made to leave, after building up the place with all their love, customer service and money. The owner got greedy, doubled the rent so they were forced to LEAVE place is still there, rooms are still spectacular but don't expect ANY service. Owners think they can manage it themselves now. They can't. Shame for 3 years hard work and many happy customers down the drain. Tripadvisor actually just rated them nr 1 best rated hotel in whole of Thailand! Check their facebook hopefully they will find a new place. They are the best I've known them quite a few years from the resort they had before, they are lovely people. Such a shame.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else.
Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Lazy R
Reviewed 27 May 2013

What you look for in a holiday? you have every thing here, Quite place, very friendly staff, me and my wife were the only once awake till late night and we switched on the music, in a very few mins many of the guests came and joined us for drinks.
You actually feel like home, its very clean, the dog is very cute but the cat has major attitude problem (lol).
Trust me this is a place where you should go.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We had 6 nights at the Samui Native Resort and Spa. Like most of the reviews there are pros and cons however considering the cost of the rooms then expectations need to be realistic. Our stay was very nice and relaxed. The staff were friendly and helpful, the breakfast was perfectly acceptable. Our room was large, air conditioning worked, the grounds with the hammocks are relaxing and it was quiet.
We rented a bike from the hotel and unfortunately had an accident on it. Andy, the owner was more concerned with our welfare (just scratches and bruised pride) than the bike. We had broken both mirrors and scratched the bike and we were expecting a hefty bill. To our delight (and frankly amazement considering some of the moped hire horror stories we have heard) Andy just charged us cost price (under £10) to replace the broken parts.
The location isn't the best - a 10-15 minute walk into town - but the town itself is nice and offers a quiet beach, great views and a choice of eateries.
We ate at the hotel in the evening several times and it was nice and cheap.
This is a nice budget place to stay and we would recommend it.

Room Tip: If you are going to hire a moped, hire from the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aldo78
Reviewed 19 April 2013

This place has nice big rooms and is good value for the money. We stayed for 2 nights.

Unlike previous reviewers, I don't consider the resort to be in the "jungle". Its in a small neighborhood and has some trees/vegetation, but is not the jungle. It's a short scooter ride to the beach. We rented a scooter from the resort for 150 baht/day.

Based on other reviewers, we expected the owners to be very friendly; we found the staff to be pleasant but they didn't go out of their way to help us.

If you are on a budget and want a nice, big, clean place, this is a good resort for you.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2013

This place is lovely. It's only a ten minute walk from the town but it's in the jungle ! There is a great swimming pool surrounded by a large jasmine hedge ( smells fab ) and the whole area is filled with lush tropical vegetation. The rooms are all semi detached bungalows, containing large bedrooms with fridge, a kettle and huge bed. They were cleaned every couple of days, although we received fresh towels daily. Our bathroom was open at one side into the jungle. Unlike the bedroom which had air con, the bathroom was very hot and there were quite a few mosquitoes around. We lit citronella tapers, stuck in an empty coke can to guard against being bitten ! One night I saw a massive spider which was very unnerving, although my husband was unconcerned ! The noise of the jungle at night is unbelievably loud but didn't disturb our sleep. The shower was warm, not hot but adequate. The restaurant served a nice breakfast, and we rented a scooter for 180tb. On the nights we walked into town, we were glad we'd taken torches. There's a shop nearby which sells cheap beers, snacks etc., The beach is fabulous. Not crowded at all, and only one friendly hawker, selling fresh fruit. In the town, there's a couple of 7/11 stores, lots of souvenir, handicrafts and other shops, restaurants and a few ATMs. The main road is quite busy so be careful if you rent a scooter. It's only twenty minutes or so to to Chaweng, which is very touristy and loud. There are taxis (songthews) going up and down the road all the time. All in all, a great, reasonably priced place to stay - if you don't mind spiders ! Well, it IS in the jungle !

Room Tip: Take a torch for the walk into town along the jungle road at night.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple