“Chilled out and run down”
Review of Chill Out Cafe

Chill Out Cafe
Ranked #89 of 108 Restaurants in Mae Nam
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We are staying at the Hacieda next door, so we dropped into the Chill out Café to try out the breakfast. As suggested by previous reviewers, the place is a bit run down and uncared for, and our reception on arrival was a trifle muted.

My wife ordered the American Breakfast, and I ordered the “Jumbo all in one” which included 2 fried eggs, bacon 2 sausages, fried tomato, toast butter and jam, and orange juice. My breakfast was BT220 and the coffee was an extra BT50. Total bill came to BT340. The food was OK… the coffee was not great. The butter turned out to be margarine made from a combination of Sunflower oil and Soy.

I guess you get what you pay for. Best part is the location, right on the beach, with tables on the sand if you can handle the sun, or if you want to get away from the TV blaring advertising in Thai language inside. Tomorrow we try some place else.

There are newer reviews for Chill Out Cafe

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Went here for lunch after being unable to find Zenzibar. Service slow and disinterested. We both had the white snapper fillet with garlic and pepper sauce, both fillets were undercooked. The chips were overcooked and cold and the salad had no dressing. Pineapple shake was nice but the mango shake tasted like it was made with a cordial rather than fresh fruit. One of the worst meals we have had in our 9 days here, yet it was as expensive as we have paid for far nicer meals with great service. The location is great however, right on the beach.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We arrived at this shabby (fairly grubby) beach shack one hot afternoon, we ordered food which was OK and arrived in dribs and drabs and enjoyed a few chilled "ones" (recommend the Long Island Iced Tea). The atmosphere, music and location ensured that we were chilled and had a lazy few hours on the beach. I wouldn't recommend this for a fine dining or even just dining experience, but it was a good meeting place to start the evening off and was open til late for any party animals in our group.

Reviewed 22 December 2012

The staff took a long time to take our order of drinks and never asked us if we would like to eat - I can deal with this, we are in Thailand. The lime juice was 90% cordial - it almost burned your throat. The pork in my pad thai was like rubber and the pad thai had clearly been cooked in a dirty pan, black chewy unknowns were mixed in throughout. My girlfriend ordered prawn cocktail, we have only eaten western food a handful of times during over 6 months in SE Asia and understand that it can be a risk. But prawns right by the sea, with salad and a little sauce is hardly risky.
After bringing out fruit salad with muesli (I think because the waiter just wasn't interested and didn't care to listen properly) in error the prawn cocktail arrived. Plain and simple - the prawns were either not fresh or way over cooked, they were rubbery and dry. We told the owner and he replied with a bombardment of shouting at my girlfriend. He brought out the fresh prawns from the kitchen, yes they were fresh, which only highlighted that they were over cooked. My girlfriend suggested she order something else as they did not apologise or offer to prepare the dish again.

After the shouting she was not keen on eating anything else and so we asked for the bill. The prawn cocktail was on the bill so I simply asked politely "are you charging us for the dish?" - again more yelling saying "you ordered, you pay". He threatened to call the police. We didn't even have a chance to discuss the matter, I only raised the question and then he went off ranting. Then the owner walked out to the beach and started yelling to people simply enjoying the sun that "these people have ordered and not paid!" - he repeated this for around 5 minutes.

My girlfriend was hugely upset but to be honest I was just angry and thought that the man was an embarrassment to himself.
We have travelled Asia a long time and eaten in all sorts of places, we have enjoyed meals served on a dirty tray in the slums of India, this was by far the worst experience I have ever had. I feel that on the beach, wherever in the world you are, if you are paying for a dining experience (albeit a relaxed [supposedly] beach front restaurant) and order prawns that come out way over cooked you should be able to raise this point without a ridiculous onslaught. If it was my restaurant the customer would have received a huge apology and no way would I consider charging them.

If This is the first truly negative review I have left on trip advisor.

3  Thank LewisHarradine
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Whilst the location & view is stunning, I had to go with my 4th choice on the menu as they didn't have spare ribs in their special BBQ sauce, king prawns or tiger prawns. I had small prawns in garlic & pepper sauce which was ok
My husband had fish & chips, fish was over cooked & chips very average
Agree with other reviewer, just have a drink & pick somewhere else to eat
Had I read reviews first would probably have done the same