We stayed at the Napasai for four nights in late December. We really enjoyed our stay and we’ll definitely return the next time we’re in Samui. First, the plusses. The Napasai’s location is probably among the best we’ve seen in Samui. It’s located next to a very private beach, and privacy is overall a major plus in the resort. Even though the resort was nearly full, it’s so private there we felt like we were the only ones there at times. And yet, if you want to go to Chaweng beach, it’s not far at all. Taxis cost around 400 baht to Chaweng or to town.
What you see on the website is really what you get. The villas are all nestled in hills or right along the beach, and the natural beauty is breathtaking. From the lazy water buffalo grazing as you enter, to the combed beaches, to the dreamy infinity pool, it’s one of the most beautiful natural settings we’ve seen. Another huge plus is the service. There is no shortage of staff here, and they are all extremely friendly, speak English, and very warm – true Thai hospitality at its best! Service extended down to the beach and pool area, where there was always someone present to take a drink order, put up an umbrella, etc. We also noticed the resort does a very good job with mosquito management, as we did not get a single bite while we were there. And breakfast is excellent, with to-die-for homemade jams!
On the negative side, there are a few minor quibbles, and one major one. First, the minor. We did not get a daily paper for the first two days there, and then the third day we received a one-page UK news summary, and on the final day a US news summary. The paper in the restaurant did not change for four days. There is no in-room Wifi, although there is wifi in the pool area and a couple of laptops for public use. Some of the “finishing touches” in the room seem less than 5-star, such as the inkjet printed room service menu. The A/C seemed to kick off at times at night, leaving the room a little stuffy. Both umbrellas in our room were broken, and there is no ipod hookup in the room (although a DVD player is installed and the boutique store has an extensive selection of free DVDs for a rainy day).
Now, the major complaint. The hillside villas are really nestled in the hills, and the path to get to them is steep. Definitely not for the elderly or frail or unfit, which is why the resort provides golf carts to cart guests to their rooms. We actually liked the hillside villas the best of all the rooms, and here’s why: The resort is located right next to a fishing village. The fishermen go out in their longtail boats every morning around 6 am, and it is LOUD, LOUD, LOUD. The noise lasts for about an hour. The noise must be much louder for the seaside cottages, so unless you really want the beach at your front door, we recommend you stick with the hillside villas and keep your windows and doors shut especially if you are a light sleeper.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay, and we look forward to our next visit to Napasai.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belmond Napasai exudes an irresistible, traditional Thai charm. Stand-alone villas sit within 17 acres of tropical gardens, rich with cashew and coconut trees, hibiscus and bougainvillea. Tempting aromas of fresh local cuisine drift through the air, and staff greet every request with a warm smile. Life is as quiet or as lively as you desire. Spend all day beside the infinity pool or in the relaxing Napasai Spa. Alternatively plunge into the vibrant island scene with our wide range of action-packed resort activities. The resort is a haven for sports, sea and action lovers. Enjoy a number of on-site facilities, from table tennis and badminton to windsurfing and Hobie Cat. Swimming pool nestled in our tropical garden, the infinity-edge freshwater pool. Family friendly features Whether spending quality time together or letting little ones run wild with supervised activities, Belmond Napasai is an ideal choice for a Thailand family holiday. Children can meet our resident animals while touring the secret countryside. They can get involved with different sports and excursions or go for a splash in the dedicated children's pool. They will also receive special menus in our restaurants. Babysitting services can be arranged on request so parents can unwind and savour the romance of the resort. Savour the delights of Thai cuisine at our Lai Thai Restaurant. Our executive chef offers a delicious array of local specialities alongside refined Mediterranean and oriental dishes. Take a seat indoors and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, or eat al fresco on our outdoor balconies. Stunning views across the resort accompany breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dining in Belmond Napasai Beach Dining: Take a seat at our beachside restaurant which offers a mouth-watering variety of barbecued and grilled dishes. Savour the delights of Thai cuisine at our Lai Thai Restaurant. Our executive chef offers a delicious array of local specialities. Take a seat indoors and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, or eat al fresco on our outdoor balconies. Stunning views across the resort accompany breakfast, lunch and dinner. The hotel offers a variety of villas from Sea view hill to sea view and beach front, One bedroom Villa Suites (beach front or in the Gardens) and Private Pool Residences from 2 to 4 bedrooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Belmond Napasai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Napasai By Orient-Express Hotel Mae Nam
- Napasai Koh Samui
- Napasai Hotel Koh Samui
- Belmond Napasai Ko Samui, Thailand