“Time for a 'renno'”

Mick's Bar & Bungalows
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mae Nam
Mick's Bar & Bungalows
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I'll keep this one mild to try and prevent it being removed this time. Recommended to me for dinner by the manager of the villa complex I was staying in around the corner. Other than the convenience i can't understand why? Food was ok, nothing special no better than what you get almost anywhere else on Samui and the we certainly found many better places subsequently. Property itself could use a renovation/facelift and is looking a little tired. Staff were friendly but the experience was somewhat diminished by the clientele.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FilBee

Reviewed 24 January 2014

As "far as he knows" I've never set foot on his premises either but I agree with the previous review. I was there for Christmas Day dinner, 'traditional western style with all the trimmings' were told 4pm, food was served at 730pm, not enough food in the buffet for all the guests (I got the last baked potato and there were still at least 4 people behind me in the queue), vegetables were cold, turkey was massacred by a guy who laughed it off with "I've never carved a turkey before, I'm just a mate of Mick's" there were definitely people sitting at the back of the restaurant smoking pot and we were billed for drinks that we never had but my partner didn't want to make a scene so we just left early and will never go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KaptainKremmen
Mick H, Owner at Mick's Bar & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

To the anonymous reviewer ,
You failed to mention that the entree's were served at 6 pm and 7.30 sounds about right to be serving dinner to me . The from 4 pm was so people could have a swim or pre dinner drinks . I had a number of friends at the dinner who waited until last to visit the buffet , so whoever missed out was aware of the situation and had the price reduced accordingly . If you were billed for drinks you never had , it could only mean that someone at your table was undercharged . Had either party mentioned a problem , there would have been no " scene" and it would have been sorted out on the spot . I suspect that one of your friends had a bit of a laugh at your expense . I very much doubt anyone was smoking pot , but with that many guests you can never be sure . Again ,if it had been mentioned to the management it would have been dealt with .
I strongly object to you suggesting that I willingly overcharged you and that I condone illegal activities in my establishment . You quite rightly headlined your review as " slanderous " I wonder what yours and Mr filbe's agenda really is .
Mick H

Reviewed 12 October 2012

Just back from 2 months at Mick's Bar and Bungalows, had a great holiday. Mick and his wife On were great hosts and nothing was too much trouble. My bungalow was very comfortable and had all the amenities I needed. Just a stone's throw from the pool which I used every day. The bungalows are off the beaten track so there is plenty of peace and quiet although it comes alive at night when people start arriving for meals at the restaurant. I was able to cook in the bungalow but preferred to eat in the restaurant where you have a choice of excellent Thai meals and when you get a little homesick there is always an Aussie pie with mash and peas. If you want a cheap holiday can't think of a better place.

Room Tip: individual bungalows all good 1 & 2 bedroom
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank 248Margaret248
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My mate & I have stayed in Micks' bungalows several times & we rent a 2 bedroom unit with kitchen so able to be self sufficient but also eat at the bar/restaurant often as Micks' wife, On, is an excellent cook. Situated about 1.5 kms inland from the main road, motorbikes can be hired there but Taxis also know the place. Great to be awayfrom the crowds, nothing like evening drinks at the bar with Micks' great music on tap. Cheers.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Found this little bit of paradise ten years ago, have returned several times and will be back again soon!! Owners are very nice and helpful, great food and bar, cheap prices and great location. Sparkling pool, best cheeseburgers in Koh Samui and the most welcoming hosts... what more do you need?

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I have been to Micks three times now,2012,2011 and 2010. I can say it is great value for money and a really friendly place to be. The bungalows are very clean and spacious. I love the fact that it is away from the crowds but is still so close to everything, beaches , shops nite clubs etc. it makes you feel that you are really on holiday. I like the fact that you get to meet other interesting people when you are there and Mick and Onn treat you like part of their family. For me it is a special place and I hope to go back again and again
Elaine Salter

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2012

A little nugget of Thai paradise with a very welcoming family who know everything there is to know about making a Thai holiday special. This small enclave shielded from the more 'party' elements of the island was a joy to visit. From being collected from Ko Samui airport through my 2 weeks at these lovely family run bungalows to my being dropped off again at the airport. The bungalows are sturdy, spotless and spacious - raised above ground means none of those menacing critters the tropics are so 'blessed' by and no danger of flooding or other distractions. They provide a self catering experience that allows you to cook things picked up from the local markets - although for the less adventurous there is a huge Tesco not far from Mae Nam. Of course when I wasn't in the mood to cook I simply popped across to Mick and his family's restaurant where I experienced that famous Thai hospitality, relaxed with a refreshing drink and sampled some local Thai cuisine (as well as a good range of western dishes when I missed the taste of home). From arranging my motor cycle hire (cars can be arranged too) to explaining the island and its attractions nothing was too much trouble. The dipping pool around which the bungalows are arranged allows for a delicious cool down and can be a welcome counterpoint to the tropical Thai weather. The beautifully tended gardens have a wide variety of local plantlife and it makes such a delightful change from the all too ubiquitous concrete that many establishments feel the need to use. If you want 5* luxury with spa treatments this is not the place to stay. But if you want to wake up and fall asleep to the sounds of the real Samui and want great value for money then this is where you want to go.

Incidentally should you be looking to enjoy the more lively elements of the island they are easily within reach by taxis which will pick you up from and return you to these bungalows - which make an excellent retreat when you are fit to drop !

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo