“A little bit of Paradise”

Fair House Villas & Spa
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
“A little bit of Paradise”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Beautiful hotel with amazing views of the sunset. My wife and I stayed here for a part of our honeymoon and we loved every minute of it. The hotel setting is lovely with the wooden structures all over the resort. Has a kind of nature feel to it.
The food is very good and the happy hour cocktails are fantastic, many cocktails were had during our stay.

The only complaint i have is with the front desk staff, There was a complete lack of customer care when dealing with their customers. We had more than a few issues with them during our stay. I wont go into details but all ill say is that maybe a little bit if extra training would help in time to come.
Other from that it was a beautiful place to stay.

1 Thank bodge1978

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Torrance
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I would have loved to give this hotel a 5-star rating because we absolutely loved it, but there are too many minor complaints and I had to dock it a star. We were here 8 days so I can give a very accurate review that may help people decide whether to stay here or not. Upon checking in, we were given the wonderful surprise that we had been upgraded to the jacuzzi suite overlooking the sunset and ocean. Wow! Unfortunately, the first room had a broken air con and we waited about 2 hours while someone came and tried to fix it (he never could). We were subtly blamed for breaking it for having it on too low, but I assured reception we had put it so low because it wasn't working and I was trying to see if any cool air would come out. They were very nice about it and finally moved us to a different room, still a jacuzzi suite, and all was well.The room is probably the nicest I've ever stayed in, but beware if you are not physically able as there is a steep hike up to these rooms. No complaint from us about this, the view made it worth it. This is a pristine, impeccably clean hotel situated right on the beach with a restaurant/bar overlooking the ocean. Just the walk through the grounds from our room to the restaurant was beautiful. We ate at the restaurant several times and it was very good and the views spectacular but we realized we could get equally delicious food in town for half the price and started eating away from the hotel the last half of our trip. And of course the jacuzzi on our balcony was a luxurious amenity which we used and enjoyed immensely. A minor complaint, which might be major for many, is the wi-fi rarely worked in our room. It was frustrating because we would get on and it would inevitably drop out after a minute or two and you could never get on the rest of the night. Or you might get on for 5 minutes after fiddling around for 30. It was ok because when we had to do anything online we would just use the computer at reception, but again this could be a major concern for someone who needs consistent Internet connectivity. A very minor complaint is that the complimentary toiletries were never replaced; i.e. q-tips, shower cap, etc... and only shampoo was supplied, not body wash nor conditioner. The mini bar was inconsistently re-stocked and some things would be replaced while others wouldn't. Also the door to the bathroom does not stay open and any time we were getting ready we had to wedge an umbrella in the door to prop it open so we could easily walk in and out. It needed airing out because the air conditioning can't get in and after showering the bathroom would get steamy and hot. Unfortunately, the people above us didn't use this trick and every morning when they were getting ready we'd hear their bathroom door slam shut about 30 times as they were going in and out of the bathroom. Small thing but then again it's the small details that can make or break a place. But I don't want to end on a bad note because this place was amazing. We were so relaxed after our long stay. The staff was some of the friendliest I've encountered. The pool was great and the beach not overly crowded unlike much of Koh Samui. Don't miss going to the W next door for a drink, that is one of the most beautiful outdoor bars I've ever seen. If we are back on Koh Samui in the future, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Sunset jacuzzi suite has the most beautiful views
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear poppylea,

A big thank you for your honest, fair and detailed review of your stay with us. I am very happy that you enjoyed the time you spent with us and that you have so many positive things to say about our resort. Most of all I am glad that you felt entirely relaxed after your stay with us, as we think this is the most important thing.

It seems that you were sadly affected by several minor issues and a few not-so-minor (in my eyes) issues. It is obviously a shame that such a positive experience was compromised by these things, but the most important thing is simply that we take note and learn from them so we can improve in the future. Your review has been used in our internal meetings to address these issues. You were a bit unlucky to have so many of these issues occurring during your stay, so all in all we are relieved that your overall experience was still positive. I sincerely hope you will be back at some point, and I am confident you would experience less of these minor complaints and more of the relaxation.

Again, thank you very much for your feedback.

Warm regards,

Vigbjorn Hassel Vaage
Group Director of Operations
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Just finished a great 4 night stay at Fair House and overall I was impressed by the natural beauty of the property, quality at this price point and the very friendly and spirited staff. My room was enormous and beautifully appointed with an extremely comfortable 4-poster bed and stunning views of the sea from the balcony. The landscaping includes many varieties of gorgeous orchids and other tropical plants as well as laden mango, bananna and passionfruit trees. I very much enjoyed the fresh salads and vegetable dishes especially knowing that many of the herbs and some produce is grown at their own garden. And the Thai dishes are especially yummy! The place is refeshingly quiet and my sleep was marvelous.

Come with a sense of humor because things don't always go as expected -- the power went out which cut off the water supply, the credit machine didn't operate, patchy wifi, missed wake up call, etc. The lavatory by the pool needs serious updating which I was told is in the works (a simple notice would be wise). The beach towels are quite stained and several of the lounge matts really should be replaced. If you want the amenities of a higher end hotel - bring your own for oddly, there is no soap or wash cloths for the shower/bath just a ceramic bottle of shampoo in the shower and one of hand soap on the sink. Fair House prides itself on being a Green Hotel but this was a bit austere.

In the room directory the first point is Amenities/Theft with several lines dedicated to what must be a serious issue for this particular property -- pilfering by guests of the towels, laundry bags, robes, etc. On the desk there is even a price list for all the "amenities" which if missing would be added to the guest's bill. While I understand this issue can be troubling -- it was unfortunate to have this be the very first item in directory.

The buffet breakfast is a nice array of fresh fruits (it's amazing how much effort is spent on the creative carving of fruit!), cereals, meats, cheeses, delightful fresh salads and eggs to order. With all this on offer, I don't know why Fair House would put out Tang-style orange juice and other sweetened juice drinks? Better to serve one good fresh juice than 4 mediocre.

Massages by the beach and a Thom Ka Colada overlooking the traquil sea. This is the place to forget about the outside world and just relax.

Room Tip: I love the view of the sea but you have to be prepared to climb. The higher up the better the view...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My partner and I had spent some time reviewing hotels in Ko Samui so we were wary when booking our SUNSET SUITE at this hotel. Other tripadvisor contributors had warned that should you/we be offered an "upgrade" to a supposedly more expensive pool villa that the pool villa was no where near as good as the sunset suite. They were right... and this is exactly what happened to us!! Worse still when we rejected their "upgrade" offer we were told the hotel was fully booked. We were given no choice but to stay in the pool villa the first two nights of our five night stay. The pool villa was tiny, with no view at all and the pool itself was freezing and also very small (more like a jacuzzi). This "upgrade" offer is a complete a scam! We were provided with some compensation but it put a nasty taste in our mouths for the rest of our stay. On day three we finally moved to the sunset suite we had originally booked and payed for (months prior). It was twice the size, offering stunning views over Mae Nam beach, with a large outdoor terrace complete with a heated spa. No comparison!!! So fellow travellers be warned! The staff will argue with you until they are black and blue in the face that the pool villa is an "upgrade" but it is not. Don't cave in and stand your ground.
Otherwise, this hotel is situated in a quiet location and although not five star, it has a traditional Thai charm about it.

Room Tip: Only book a sunset suite. Do not fall for the offer of a pool villa "upgrade."
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Michael K
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Michael K,

Many thanks for your review. I am happy you enjoyed the charm and location of our hotel, although it is a great shame that the experience was compromised by the upgrade offer.

First of all I want to point out that this is not a standard procedure we have to offer this (or any) upgrade by default. In this case the front office team had a problem allocating all the bookings of the room category you selected, as one room went out of order. In order to overcome this, the team offered you a complimentary upgrade to the higher category which is the Pool Villa in this case. In this sense, the team acted correctly, however it is a clear breach of our standards for the team to "argue" or act pushy with such an upgrade, and for this I sincerely apologize and I have already held briefings with the team to clarify this point.

It is of course entirely up to the guest to evaluate and decide what room category suits their needs and gives them the best value. Technically, the Pool Villa is an upgrade from the Sunset Suite, although it is a rather small difference in price between the two. The Sunset Suite offers, as you mention, fantastic views, a spacious living room and a private Jacuzzi on the terrace. The main attraction of the Pool Villa is the private garden area and the private pool, so the total space is quite a bit larger and gives and increased feeling of privacy. In addition, the large bathroom and the location close to the main pool and beach front is attractive for many. Also, some prefer not to have the extra walk up the hillside. Overall I would say it is very much 50/50 which one guests prefer. Photos of all our six room types can be found on our website for those who are curious..

Again, I am very sorry that the upgrade offer came across the way it did. I would like to offer our sincere thanks for pointing this out to us, which allows us to adapt and improve our service for our future guests.

Warm regards,

Vigbjorn Hassel Vaage
Group Director of Operations
Irving, Texas
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We spent 3 days in this hotel in a villa close to the sea, which we liked most. We enjoyed also a small private pool & a massage nearby the main pool. The bar at the pool serves really good drinks, especially Tom Kha Colada in a young coconut :-) Most of the time we spent outside of the hotel, so I cannot evaluate quality of dinner in the hotel restaurant - breakfast was quite diverse and tasty.

Little cons:
- laundry services were poor - despite of doing that 2 times, the clothes were still dirty (one serious wash at home was enough to clean it)
- there are 3 bikes which are available for free, but they are really poor (even with broken breaks), so check them deeper before starting your longer journey. ;-)

Room Tip: it is worth to ask for a villa with a private little pool and very close to the sea
2 Thank Artur Z
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a sunset room in the Fair House Villas for 4 nights as part of our honeymoon. The stay started off a little rocky when our airport pickup never materialized. We pointed this out on arrival, only to be told that since we booked the pickup through Agoda, they had not received it. No apology. This was annoying to say the least. A token of a complimentary drink or something to make reparations would have been nice, but instead we got a frank "not our fault" kind of reply. Not a great start.

The room itself was up a very steep hill with a mixture of steps and sloping paths. They drove us up in a golf buggy, which they offered to do any time we were too tired to walk. The view from the room was absolutely stunning and well worth the climb. The floor and furniture in the room had seen better days, and were very scuffed, scraped and worn. This was the first thing that struck me on entering the room, so unfortunately if does make a bad first impression. I can imagine that it was beautiful a few years ago.

We looked past this, as the view was so amazing and the room was still very nice. We had a hot tub on the balcony, which we only used once, but enjoyed very much.

The facilities at the hotel are very good. The pool, complete with jacuzzi beds, basket ball net and toys for kids and adults, free sunscreen, a bar with pool stools and plenty of sun loungers, was awesome! Just beyond the pool was the small private section of beach for hotel residents, which was quiet and relaxing. The beach was stoney and the water was murky, but it was still lovely to sit on the sun loungers above this. The hotel provided free snorkeling equipment and kayaks, which was a nice touch.

The breakfast was a good spread, and quite typical of a good 4-star hotel, with no stand-out features for me specifically. We ate dinner in the restaurant one night, which was excellent. We had the Thai set menu for 2. We tried the pool bar for food during the day once, but it was not too good. Lunch at the restaurant another day was also only ok, even the Pad Thai was not something I'd have ordered from there again.

The hotel was quiet when we arrived, but the day before we left it filled up with Russian and Japanese families, and a large group of Thai military (?!!). Our peaceful days by the pool were no more, but at least we had enjoyed quieter times for the majority of the stay.

The gym is tiny and not very appealing. At least they have one though, I suppose. It's a bit of a hike into Mae Nam or Bo Phut from the hotel, but they do provide free bicycles or motorbikes for rent, and they operate a free shuttle bus to Chaweng throughout the day. Taxis are a ridiculous set price of 300 Bt, or 500 to Chaweng, so we opted for the motor bike rental as it was 200 for the full day and was a lot of fun.

I very much enjoyed my stay here. Yes, there are things I would change, but all in all we had a great time and I would recommend it, especially for families.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
#2 of 30 in Mae Nam
Sea Dance Resort
Sea Dance Resort
#6 of 187 in Bophut

Been to Fair House Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!