“A great place to chill out” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Health Oasis Resort

Health Oasis Resort
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Brisbane, Australia
“A great place to chill out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed the week I spent there doing a detox. It was my first time doing a detox so I was a bit unsure of how it would go. Overall it was a very positive experience for me, but not everyone staying felt the same way as it can be a little bit hit and miss at times. When I arrived Dr Manta was away and when she returned, she added the missing x-factor to the resort. Chris is fantastic and Elle is wonderful too as are all of the other staff. Don't be put off by the tone of the responses to some of the feedback on here - they're in no way indicative of the experience itself. There is a really nice atmosphere at the resort as everyone is there for similar reasons. I hope to visit there again in the near future. If you want a flash resort go somewhere else, but if you want a really thorough detox in a supportive environment give it a try.

Here are some tips that will make your stay easier: Read the website so you understand what is on offer before you get there and so you know what you want. Contrary to what the website says, if no one responds to your emails call them. Make sure you understand all of the aspects of the resort and what you can do there e.g. lymphasizing, the library, the zappers, etc. and if you don't, ask someone. Have an acupuncture/cupping session with Dr Manta. Do the liver flush in the middle of your detox not at the end and leave more than a day at the end of the fast so you're not getting on the plane the day after the liver flush. Consider staying 2-3 days after the detox, so you can eat and get things working again. Although the water is shallow and there are rocks not far off the beach, you can take one of the Kayaks out with someone and swim off the beach if you really want to go for a decent swim. Do the yoga everyday - it's challenging but great.

Room Tip: The packages have different types of accommodation. All the rooms have different pros and cons. Some...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank WrldTravela
detox4all, Owner at Health Oasis Resort, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and we are glad you had a good first time detox experience and that you enjoyed the nice atmosphere, which is of upmost importance to us to maintain.We ll pass your kind words to Dr Manta , Chris and Elle.
Best regards

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Looks like this resort hasn't been fixed since the 70's. The showers are still on electric systems and mine wasn't a power shower at least. Ac's are old and rattle a lot. They guarantee you a good nights sleep- Hmmm.
Personally, I am disorganised so I don't mind it. However, Management is disorganised and they need to start becoming 21st century- their reception space says a lot about the place. If they revamped the place, I'm sure they will get better reviews. The best part is the gazebo. It is lush to hang out there. The detox programme is intense but it has great benefits and it has done wonders to me in 4 days. It's such a shame that Management don't fix this place. Their public loos have no privacy- there are slits between the two toilets so everyone can see eachother in the loo. But hey, I'm not bothered anymore.
Some rooms don't have toilets and if you are on a detex programme: you need a loo. You get what you pay for.

The great thing about this place is meeting people. It's great to share your process with people who understand what you are going through. The clients become friendly and supportive to one another. That's what makes this resort so special.

Despite the fact it is run down and disorganised. I have embraced the experience, made some friends and enjoyed this detox programme. I'm coming again. X

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Salma M
detox4all, Owner at Health Oasis Resort, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear client
We appreciate your review and continuing preference although you consider the resort outdated. We have to agree with you that resort appearance is not a priority for us as is providing a quality detox program at the most competitive price. All the guest rooms have private WCs. The only 2 rooms with a shared one are not for guests but for staff members. Obviously you have stayed in our older rustic room section which is for the cheaper standard programs. We have identified the need for a better quality modern accommodation and we have built a new wing of superior rooms which it seems that you have not seen and compared with out older ones.
We have to admit as well that we have made a decision to maintain the charm of thai culture and family-like relaxed attitude in our interactions with our guests (which most guests value more than anything) rather than a superefficient sterile “yes sir” hotel style. It can frequently be perceived by western standards as disorganized but the only way to create a sensation of relaxation is to be relaxed ourselves. It is like the price we pay for sustaining that priority. The longer or more frequently one stays here the more it values that looseness and relaxation as a support for the detox program. That same looseness creates a relaxed and friendly atmosphere in the interactions between all the guests which you have experienced and valued and which you don’t get in a normal hotel where the standards are strict but the interactions are rigid as well. This is the result of an overall choice we have made to focus on relaxation and well being. We rather provide that in combination with a quality, low priced detox program in a beautiful setting rather than having a sterile hotel atmosphere where relaxation and well-being becomes a challenge.
However this does not absolve us of all the inefficiencies and mistakes we make and we apologize for them.

Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

detox is what it is, and therefor i really can suggest going there. i did it 2 times, and will come again.

if you are more looking for a wellness trip, with high class environment, you might be wrong, but money wise and the support, is totally fine.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank spixomat
Dear guest
We appreciate your short but right to the point review which we feel that summarizes exactly what we aim for. Look forward to see you again when you wish.
Zurich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

In mid May of 2014 I visited the Health Oasis resort in Koh Samui. The reason for my visit was to take part in an 8-day detox and yoga program on my own.

I have done such programs in the past at other resorts in Thailand, but was looking for a quality, reasonably priced detox centre in Samui itself since my time was limited and I was travelling in and out of Singapore. Travel convenience and ease of planning made this an ideal choice.

The resort is located on Bang Po beach on the north end of the island. Though a bit scruffy in places, Bang Po beach is less crowded than other beaches and stretches out on either side of the Health Oasis. Its calm nature and feel make it ideal for long walks, particularly during the spectacular sunsets.

Samui has detox resorts far more luxurious and fancy than Health Oasis and those persons looking for that type of place are well advised to consider other options. But for those persons looking for a superior detox and yoga experience, which is competitively priced, then Health Oasis is hard to match.

Although basic and without frills, the rooms and infrastructure at Health Oasis are clean, comfortable and functional. I chose a superior beachfront bungalow, which had a large comfortable bed, AC and a spacious toilet and shower, which are necessities in the detox program. The trouble-free, five second walk to the beach from my room was also exactly what I was looking for.

There are two swimming pools on the premises with adequate lounge chairs both for those who enjoy the pool as well as for those who prefer to lie on the beach. The resort also has a central meeting area where participants can meet for conversation, advice and the materials necessary for the detox programs (shakes, juices, etc.).

Dr. Manta, who runs the program there, and her staff are extremely helpful and were always available to answer any questions, ranging from more complex matters regarding detox, health, diet and nutrition to guest assistance basics such as advice on shopping, excursions, ATMS, transport, and the like.

Dr. Manta herself takes the well being of each guest seriously. She and her staff have clearly developed a strong understanding and knowledge base about detox and health, and Dr Manta in particular reinforces this with her years of hands-on experience at the resort. I was impressed with the commitment of Dr. Manta and her staff to understand each person and to help him/her on their particular journey to better health.

The detox program begins in the morning with the first clay betonite shakes followed by a yoga session around 08:30. Having practiced yoga for some years and attended many classes, I can say that the yoga instruction at Health Oasis was top notch. Daily morning sessions are included as part of the detox program and additional instruction can be arranged. Sadka, the teacher there during my stay, was simply the best instructor I have had to date, a statement which I do not make lightly. Knowledgeable, communicative, humorous and understanding, his classes were enjoyed by students at all levels from beginners to those who themselves were instructors in their own countries.

In addition to yoga, the resort offers various types of traditional Thai massages to round out and augment the detox program. As with other aspects of the Health Oasis, the massage therapists were dedicated both to their craft and to assisting each guest.

To sum up, each person must define the overall objectives and budget for any health-oriented stay in Samui. If the focus is on detox and yoga, with adequate accommodations, a scenic beach, a knowledgeable, experienced and caring staff, and additional services such as massage--all at a fair price--then the Health Oasis should be your choice in Koh Samui.

Room Tip: The rooms located further away from the main reception area are probably quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank nothingtouristyforme
Dear guest
We are so glad you enjoyed both the detox program and the yoga instruction and you found them of quality and competitively priced. We are honored by comments like yours who have experienced other detox programs and resorts. We ll keep up the good work and look forward to seeing you again when you get the next chance.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I visited Health Oasis Resort last September for the first time to do the 10 day Weight Loss programme. It had been recommended by my sister who works in health in Australia and had many recommendations about this place. I was greeted at the airport by Health Oasis staff, which I arranged, and taken straight to the resort. All the staff were very welcoming, and I had upgraded to the room overlooking the pool which was really lovely with an amazing view. Well worth the small price of the upgrade.

This is the first time I had detoxed but Elle explained it all clearly and that day I arrived I sampled some delicious vegetarian green curry and rice as my detox was starting the next day. I thought i'd be starving with no energy but it was quite the opposite. The bentonite shakes, juices and broths kept me sustained and I had so much energy I did yoga every morning, and an hour walk along the beach and an hour walk up the mountain every day, and loved it. The daily massages were amazing, and with herbal steam, ozone, and colonics to do the programme does keep you busy, but in a good relaxed way. Met some really nice people there too who came from all over the world, many of whom were repeat customers.

Dr Manta was great and sat with me and gave me very good nutritional advice for my health complaints, she was very caring as well as knowledgeable. All the staff were so hardworking but were always smiling. It was especially a joy to be brought the first shake of the morning to my room at 7am by a lovely smiling face. It set the whole tone for the day. By the last day I had lost 8kg (in 10 days) which I was very happy about, and I sampled papaya salad to break the fast which was delicious.

For me this was a wonderful experience, and I am planning to come back very soon.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank marika28
Dear client
We are happy to see you again and we are glad you enjoyed again your detox and met your weight loss goals. Combined with the nutritional advice that Dr Manta gave you , you ll be able to sustain those benefits. We ll be here for you whenever you would like another tune-up.
Thames Ditton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is the second year in a row that I have visited this "spa" for a 7 day detox/cleanse. Although the actual program is good/safe in general there is not really any support for first time cleansers. An example of this was one lady who had a terrible migraine and was left alone for a whole day to deal with it without any concern from the staff. She left that evening. The manager was in Bangkok apparently and nobody else was able to help or give any support. When the manager is away the staff are very lazy and have parties way too late in the evening from their accommodation at the back of the resort and you can hear the music. This happened last year too. When people are fasting they need their sleep and early nights are essential so it's not very nice to have to listen to staff partying late into the night. I was only there for 8 nights and whilst I was there there were 2 rows between staff in the reception area at 6am which was, quite franky, unbelievable and completely unacceptable - especially when I asked them to be quiet and they basically just ignored me and carried on arguing and shouting. Both times I was woken up by shouting and screaming for at least half an hour. Not amused. The standard rooms are run down and in desperate need of updating and they are far too expensive for what they are. Whilst I was there 2 people who were supposed to be fasting for a month left early to go to another and far better spa in Lamai, which is cheaper and way more helpful and organised. They remind you of what you should be doing instead of you having to remind Health Oasis of what they are supposed to be doing for you. I won't be going back again as it's way too expensive for what it is. On the positive side, the yoga was excellent, the reception staff were very helpful, and the beach is beautiful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jensky100
detox4all, Owner at Health Oasis Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear guest
Thank you for appreciating our detox programs and probably that is the main reason that had you returned –and judging from your pricing comments , our pricing must have been the other reason to choose us again.
We apologize for the inconvenience that caused you the staff party on the other side of the river, although it was not that late and ended at 10 pm - because anyway they wake up at 6 am as you have witnessed yourself.
Although is difficult to imagine how you could hear staff shouting at 6 am at the reception which is so far away from your room, nevertheless we agree with you that is not acceptable and we apologize for that.
To set the record straight, although occasional headaches are normal during the 1st or 2nd day of the detox, in that particular case the guest you are talking about was suffering from chronic migraines and was not left alone for a day as you mentioned but she was given specific instructions by our staff, most of which she did not follow and that caused the recurrence of her headache.
About the condition of the standard fan rooms, they are not run down unless you compare them with our other rooms, which like any other guest you could opt for if the fan room was not to your satisfaction. As you are well aware, the room is not charged additionally and is part of the standard detox program and for the days before and after the detox program is only 670 baht/night, hardly expensive by any standards.
It is puzzling that you claim that 2 other guests left our resort and went to another better and cheaper detox spa. First of all we did not have any other guests leaving before the completion of their program and second because the value of what we offer is not beaten neither on price as anyone can easily compare from the relevant websites, nor on quality as you have even yourself recognized.
We repeat once again our apologies about the noise and disturbance caused by our staff because we do take seriously the privacy and peace that our guests deserve during their stay.
Perth-Andover, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

I would like to thank the lovely Pushpa for inviting me to her families health retreat,
It was exactly what my husband and I needed,
We went with an open mind,
The detox retreat met all of our expectations and more, great detox protocol, excellent massage herbal spa, nice clean facilities not 5 star but still clean, great staff who make services in Australia look pretty bad,
Dr Manta and her staff are wonderful, if you are looking to make a health change and lose a few kilos this is the right place
You meet like minded people from all over the world and it so refreshing to be with people from all walks of life doing what is so rewarding which is to regain back you health thanks Health Oasis we will be back
Cheers Rua and Peter

Room Tip: Beach view New rooms or the 2 or 3 bedroom villa
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,008 reviews
Mimosa Resort & Spa
Mimosa Resort & Spa
#9 of 30 in Mae Nam

Been to Health Oasis Resort? Share your experiences!