“Unfair Reviews”

Scotland
“Unfair Reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

Hi
I had booked this hotel and then checked trip advisor and it was with some trepidation I went there. I need not have worried and please don't let the other reviews put you off. Firstly the hotel did not smell. Infact i was very warmly welcomed by the owner herself Mrs Shuster who I found to be extremely friendly and helpful, she clucks around like a mother hen making sure that everyone is happy. This was a big week in Munich with the farmer's market so there were a few of us staying to avoid the high prices in Munich. I was offered a choice of rooms, one more modern that had recently been renovated and a traditional style rooms. The traditionaly style had a lift access to it and was larger, so I chose this one. I found the room temp to be just right and found no problems with the hot water and plumbing. I ate at the hotel and the food was both delicious and fresh and the service very good. The hotel has many nick nacks so if you are not a fan of clutter it may put you off but I found them to be fascinating particularly the collection of typewriters circa 1935 who the owner told me belonged to her grandfather who liked to collect them. Breakfast was a basic continental but I was offered a boiled egg. The village of Greding was also a pleasant surprise, its very quaint. So all in all a very nice reasonably priced stay that avoided the expense of Munich hotel prices.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank ScotlandMac1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Swindon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

Unfortunately, we stayed 2 nights in this hotel, and due to a trade fair in Munich we could not change hotels (The good ones were fully booked).
Other reviews for this hotel range from "Quaint" to "Terrible".
The hotel has an unpleasant odour, which I normall associate with being old and dirty.
My personal experience was not good. My room was very cold, with minimal heating - I used the extra duvet on the spare bed.
The bathroom was small and had mold growing in
the shower, cracked tiles on the floor and a cracked sink. No toiletries were present (I got some from reception, where they are kept in a white plastic bucket under the counter).
Breakfast was terrible - no choice, really cheap spam type meat and tables were not cleared from earlier guests.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Jaydubbya24

Travellers are raving about these Greding hotels

Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

We have just spent New Year at this hotel. Frau Schuster was great and did most of the serving herself for our party of 49. Our room was in Haus III. Others staying in the main hotel complained of freezing cold rooms though so we felt lucky. HausIII rooms are strange in that they are long and thin with narrow single beds placed end to end. They were however nice and warm (necessary given the temperatures outside @ -15C) They were also clean but would have benefitted from soap etc being provided. Also a couple of the days we were only left one towel!
Food in the hotel was good - however our gripe would be that the drinks were extortionate. 4 euros for a coca cola is just wrong! Also 7 euros 50 for a medium sized bottle of tonic water!!! Just not good. Having said that there are other bars within 2 mins walking distance that charge half the price for drinks so don't let this put you off.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank SheffieldJaybee
Cambridgeshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

A friend and I stayed at Hotel Schuster in Greding for four nights as part of a coach party destined to visit the Munich Oktoberfest.

The hotel itself is a quaint, Bavarian affair and typical of three star hotels I have stayed in whilst travelling throughout Germany. The reception and public dining areas are organised and tastefully furnished, and the hotel sports a fantastic display of pre-1939 typewriters and calculating machines (most manufactured in pre-war Germany) that I suspect the proprietor or his family have collected over many years. The staff were pleasant, efficient and had the patience of saints when dealing with the inevitable loud, drunks that returned from Munich in the late evenings. Pricewise, drinks were expensive compared to other local hostelries, and whilst I expect to pay a bit extra at a hotel, as opposed to a bar or gasthof, I thought that EURO 8.00 for two coffees was taking it a bit far (Munich city centre prices in off the beaten track Greding). The two three course evening meals we were provided with were fine considering what the tour firm probably restricted the chef to budget wise - don’t know of course although I’d be surprised if the total paid was more than EURO 220.00 for the 44 people in the party (EURO 5 per head??).

Alas, the accommodation we were provided with wasn't in keeping with the rest of the hotel. My friend and I were given a twin room in “HAUS III”, which is an abortion of a block located immediately to the rear of the main hotel building, and constructed from pre-fabricated concrete panels bolted together and finished with a coat of whitewash. Obviously the consequence of increasing the hotel’s accommodation at minimal cost although it does look as though work was wound up when the money ran out – despite efforts to tastefully carpet and décor the common passageways , the finishing work is rough or incomplete, and a door to the block needs to be fitted before the first of the Winter snows fall.

Our twin room was narrow (no wider than around 2.5m) and the two single beds could only go in along one wall head to toe. Although the furnishing was basic, on the plus side the room was warm, attended daily, and there was ample hot water when required. Cleanliness was satisfactory, although the en-suite is overdue for a spring clean – the tiling where the shower cubicle meets the ceiling doesn’t look to have seen a scrubbing brush in several months. My overall impression was that our accommodation was more akin to a youth hostel in East Berlin than a three star hotel in Bavaria. A great shame really. A case of OK but nothing special.

Would I recommend? A guarded “yes”, although there are several other places to stay surrounding the old town square, and if I was visiting Greding again I think I would take a chance on one of the alternatives.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank NGB_May2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greding
Hotel am Markt
#2 of 6 in Greding
Hotel Schneider
Hotel Schneider
#1 of 4 in Allersberg

Been to Hotel Schuster? Share your experiences!