“lagganlia review.”
Review of Lagganlia Lodges

Lagganlia Lodges
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kincraig
Lagganlia Lodges
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I recently stayed at lagganlia centre and I have to say I was a tad disappointed. I stayed in the main building in a room called 'Rothiemurchus' and it was filthy. when we arrived we found litter including: sweet wrappers, a used water bottle, used pairs of shoes in our room. we were left to pick the rubbish out of our beds and put it in the bin , and that's when we found their was no bin at all. we had to put all of our rubbish in the sanitary bin. To add to my disappointment their were a lot of stains on the wall and our curtains were hanging off. we also found loads of bugs on the window pane and on the walls of the room.
The en suite was a good facility to have but we didn't have any soap which shows bad quality. also , the walk-in shower lasted for roughly 5 seconds then it would turn off , so you constantly had to press the button. we found a few dust webs in the room and I found the beds incredibly uncomfortable. if you sat up on the bottom bunk you would bang your
head as the bunk beds are very cramped. Even though I finished my meal, i thought it tasted like school dinners. I would much rather make it myself.
the good part:
apart from the rubbish hospitality, the activities are amazing. their is a massive range of stuff to do in lagganlia such as Archery, Gorge Walking, Mountain Biking, Abseiling ,Climbing , Kayaking,Sailing and much , much more. The NightWalk is also a good activity and even better when you are blind folded. My Instructor , Gordon was very nice and encouraging , especially on the tree climbing activity , which was super scary. the thing to remember in tree climbing is that you are always attached to the harness and if you fall you wont hurt yourself!! one last thing , if you are going to book a trip to lagganlia, then go in a lodge,not main building.

overall I enjoyed lagganlia but their is definitely some room for improvement and for that reason I would rate the centre 3/5*.
hope this helped.

Room Tip: stay in the lodges
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank 15scot
Lagganlia, Bursar at Lagganlia Lodges, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Hi

Apologies for the delay in response - for some reason the notification system failed and I only became aware of your review today.

We are extremely concerned by its contents and would like you to email us with your dates of stay and group name so we can investigate fully why the cleaning failed so badly. I have tried to locate your booking from the details you gave in your review but can find no group of 'friends' booked into this building during the month before your post only schools and a youth group.

There is no excuse for the lack of cleanliness - from your description it would seem that the domestic staff had completely missed your room and failed to supply you with a waste paper bin - I can only offer our sincere apologies for this oversight.

The bunks are standard bunk beds supplied to us by our City of Edinburgh Council procurement services – I am not sure why you felt they were particularly small for bunk beds – if there was more height for the lower bunk the top bunk person would, I'm afraid, have a similar problem with the ceiling! – perhaps to solve this problem your group would be better staying in a lodge where those who find bunks difficult can choose to sleep in a twin bed?

Re lack of soap - in our main building we offer activity accommodation i.e. of a quality used by schools and activity groups on a Hostel type level and do not offer the self catering quality mark that would entail supplying bathroom toiletries etc - our prices reflect this.

Re the showers - they were constantly being left running so in order to conserve hot water and ensure all 58 guests can use a shower when they want to, and in line with our Green Tourism (Silver Award) policies showers in this building are on timer buttons lasting 20-30 secs - simply press again for more hot water. We will check that room to see if the button is faulty.

I am sorry that the meals were not to your liking however If you were with a school or youth group or your group organiser had chosen that option, the meals would indeed be school type meals - simple meals with the higher calorific values necessary to get you through a multi activity day - we do not pretend that they are anything else. If a different standard of catering is required this can be ordered and paid for - maybe you should let your group organiser know your views and request different meals or the self catering option next time.

On a happier note I am delighted that you enjoyed the different activities that you took part in and we have alerted Gordon to the review - I am sure he will be pleased to read such positive comments.

So in conclusion please email me your booking details so that can investigate the cleanliness problem and so that we can talk with your group organiser about your concerns.

Regards

alison@lagganlia.com

Reviewed 26 August 2013

It his been rather amiss of me not to write a review before now.

As a family group we have used Lagganlia twice , May 2012 and May 2013.

Staying in Anderson Lodge we found the accommodation satisfactory for our group .of 7 adults and 3 children..

The Lounge/Dining room is more than adequate to cater for these numbers.

Kitchen facilities are excellent, even down to a dishwasher and loads of crockery and cutlery on hand.

The area is very safe and child friendly.

The barbeque location is fantastic and the Indian Tepee is an added attraction , you can even light a small fire inside it and roast the Marshmallows. Magic.

Staff are on hand if needed at weekends for assistance and we have found them most helpful.

Don't expect 5* provision and you wont be disappointed.

We have booked again for our May weekend in 2014.

Do

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank antis
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I went here for a family holiday and it was fantastic! There was a great range of activities to do, which were all fun. We found this little area that was like a crossover of a beach & river, which was a great find! My only disappointments were; I felt the guy who was helping us was a little rude and had no enthusiasm, considering it was an 'activity holiday'. My other disappointment is the cabin we had was a little unclean, but it could me being a little picky! But would highly recommend this, me and the family all had a great time and so would many others.

Room Tip: Try finding the little beach/river.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Reginald G
Lagganlia, Public Relations Manager at Lagganlia Lodges, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Hi Reginald

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us especially the activities. I agree that we have had some problems with our usual standards of cleanliness - we have been 1 cleaner down for some time and this showed especially during the summer holiday peak season. I am pleased to be able to tell you that we have now been able to appoint a new staff member so that standards should be back up to where we would like them to be.

I have traced the member of instructing staff who worked with you - if you would like to call us and discuss your comments with our chief instructor Graeme please do - we strive to offer high quality exciting activities to all our guests and any degree of rudeness and lack of enthusiasm are not acceptable.

Regards
Alison

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed with a large group of friends ranging in age from 60s to 8 months in the main centre for 1 week to celebrate New Year 2013. We were self catering groups ranging from families to a joint buffet for 45!
Lagganlia is perfect for such a get - together. The rooms range from singles to those taking 6 with the majority being for 4 (in bunks). Toilets with lovely hot showers are en suite.
There is plenty space for communal activities, a very effective drying room and a large dining area as well as an excellently equipped kitchen
The staff are very helpful and friendly and instruction in outdoor activities is available. There is a new artificial ski slope on site. This was well used as there was little natural snow on the slopes of Cairngorm when were there!
There are also other lodges of differing sizes on the site.
Lagganlia offers superb accommodation, activities and facilities in a beautiful part of the Scottish Highlands

Room Tip: If you wish to go to bed early whilst the rest of the group are singing or playing music, select a r...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We stayed here in April 2010. A group of 5 mums and 10 children ranging from 2 years to 12 years old.
This facility is owned by Edinburgh city council and is used as an outward bound experience for schools and other groups. This should alert people to the fact that it is not luxury five star accommodation.
It is, however, set in a beautiful location and has everything you will need for a short break.
We stayed in Caerketton lodge which sleeps up to 17 people. It has 5 bedrooms, a communal sitting/dining area and a separate tv room.
It also has a small quiet sitting room located next to two small bedrooms which also share a shower room.
One bedroom (which sleeps 6) has an en-suite shower room. There is another male shower room and a female shower room - each with 2 showers and a toilet & sink.
The kitchen is well equipped and beds are made up.
There is an outdoor room for you to hang wet/dirty clothes which has a heater. There is also a patio area with a barbeque.
The facility consists of a large central building which has sleeping accommodation for up to 58 people, surrounded by 5 other lodges sleeping 6, 10, 16, 17 and 18 people. It sits in the middle of a forest, right beside the River Feshie.
There are activities and obstacle courses on site (you can book an instructor for some activites)
The location is perfect for kids. You can either stay on site or use it as a base to explore the surrounding area.
The accommodation is basic - one set of bunk beds were a bit rickety - but it is perfect for an adventure holiday with children.
One word of warning (or maybe an added bonus) is the mobile phone reception and tv reception is very poor, so you might need to take dvds. There is a public phone box on site

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Weesiecodal
Reviewed 28 October 2009

Anderson Lodge is one of 5 spread across the centre's grounds. There were 8 of us & it sleeps several more. It's warm & spacious, with a large sitting/dining room, with a large hatchway to the kitchen ensuring everyone stays in touch during cooking. The kitchen is well equipped, with a modern double cooker.
The bedrooms are mostly bunk-based, with four beds in the 'busiest' of the four bedrooms, & there are two toilets, with bath & shower.
The centre was fully booked the weekend we were there, but it still felt as if we were remote & secluded.
There are always full-time staff available if required, who can assist with more activities than I could list, from archery upwards, but if you want to do your own thing, you can do so in peace.
It is the perfect way for a group of family or friends to spend time together in an utterly glorious part of the Scottish Highlands.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends

Been to Lagganlia Lodges? Share your experiences!