“Amazing visit!”
Review of Working Sheepdogs

Working Sheepdogs
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Kincraig
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stumbled across Leault Working Sheepdogs online while looking for something to do after visiting the Cairngorm Reindeer Herd. So glad I found out about this place too! As soon as I sat down to take some photos a lovely collie came and sat next to me for cuddles! Taking photos would have to wait... There were adorable puppies running around too and lambs and goats. The excitement in the dogs knowing they would soon be working was noticeable.

For the demonstration we sat on rocks that created a natural arena and watched as Neil demonstrated the dogs working. Each dog had his or her own whistle and they were soon rounding up the sheep and bringing them back! Even one of the pups was allowed to have a go!

The talk was very informative, and it was fantastic seeing the sheep being sheared. What made it even better was Glynis was kind enough to pose with Dottie the Dalmatian (cuddly toy who is the mascot for the children's charity Post Pals) making it look as if Dottie was shearing the sheep! So thank you very much for that Glynis!

Afterwards the younger puppies were released, the lambs were bottle fed and Glynis had a children's book about the sheepdogs she had written for sale, and she signed the book for us too!

All in all, a fantastic visit. So pleased I found out about this place and would definitely go back again!

3  Thank KatThomas

Reviewed 11 August 2014

As we are both border collie lovers and having only recently lost our own after 19 years, this was top of our list of things to do. We were not disappointed - the way that so many dogs were working in unison and how each was controlled independently was amazing. Of course, it was enhanced by the chance to pick up and cuddle the puppies and watch children feeding the baby lambs and goats. A lovely hour spent on a working farm with people who truly love their dogs. Bargain at £5 a head.

2  Thank DudleyJoy
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We arrived at Leault Farm just before 4pm, paid £5 each (our toddler was free) and found rocks to perch on at the field. The shepherd soon arrived with a selection of sheepdogs and we had a demonstration of how he works with them, instructing them with different whistles, shouts and body movements. He then hand sheared a sheep before asking for volunteers to help him hand shear another two. We had lots more info about the dogs, sheep and his farm but I'll let you find that out for yourself! We then moved to a different area of the farm where we met the sheepdog puppies and got to bottle feed the kids (baby goats). At the end, the farmer's wife was selling a story book about everything we'd seen, written and illustrated by herself, for £5, which was a lovely souvenir for our little one who loves stories. I found the whole experience fascinating, even though I've been up close with dogs and sheep before, so would recommend it to anyone.

2  Thank Margaret N
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The dogs ranged in age from 16 years to a few weeks and they all gave the impression that they were the best at what they do. Neil Ross, the shepherd was very serious about his craft. Hands-on was great. Some tried sheep sheering with Neil's help. My grandson enjoyed picking up the next generation of Border Collie pups.

1  Thank Margaret D
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I visited the farm with the Rick Steve's tour in May of this year - Neil and his dogs are amazing to watch - even had a young eager pup keeping up with the dogs - the puppies and the lambs were adorable - and I even got to help sheer a sheep . A memory to last a lifetime.
Thanks for your hard work and love of these animals

1  Thank Suza223