“bad vis- no fish”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“bad vis- no fish”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Went to Grenada on Oct 7-17 and loved the island, off season was great. Had the island to ourselves, (wife and myself). Ate at seven or eight different restaurants, all were wonderful. Thats the good, now the bad. My wife doesn't dive so I was the only one diving. Which in all fairness may be the reason I got less than stellar service. I signed up to dive five days and left it open to dive more. I usually dive every day but the price ($104.50) was too much for that. When I showed up the first day, the owner said we would be taking the small boat out, very understandable, under the circumstances. The boat was not set up for diving and with a center console was rather cramped with fins on, but we made do. To clarify, I often dive cozumel and mahahaul out of pangas, so I'm used to small boats and back-rolls. We took a very short boat ride out to a wreck just outside the St. Georges' harbor. The divemaster splashed first to tie off the boat, and told me to get ready. As soon as he surfaced he started telling me to hurry up because there was a turtle on the wreck. I guess his intentions were good, but most divers I know do not want to be rushed, and I knew that chances were, the turtle would be gone by the time I got in anyway. Plus having more than one thousand dives, I've seen plenty of turtles, not that I wouldn't like to see more, but it's not the end of the world if I miss this one. So now we are in the water, vis is 30'-35' at best, not anyone's fault but going out a little farther might have improved the clarity. It was the end of rainy season, not much anyone can do about that. After 45 minutes divemaster signed to surface, I still had half a tank, but I quess that was it. During the SI I asked if it was policy to end dives with so much air left, and was told " We dive these sites all the time, after 40 minutes we get bored". I was shocked, I am a divemaster and have led many dives as well as been led on many more and have never heard of telling a diver that I found the dive "boring" (even when some are). So now we have a SI of about twenty minutes and the divemaster tells me to get ready. We had moved the boat to a sandy patch in about 35' of water and the divemaster throws out an anchor with about 50' of rope on it. All I could think was "good luck". Now the divemaster and the boat driver ( I refuse to call him a captain) are switching jobs, which is fine with me. We hit the water and the first thing I see is the anchor has dragged all the way across the sand patch, and has lodged in some of the reef, and is tearing the reef apart. This "divemaster" ignores the problem and swims off. This guy wasn't even a real diver let alone a divemaster, I realize people have to get experience, but not like this. His fins were constantly on the bottom or kicking the reef as he swam at a heads-up 45 degree angle. I admit, I am a very slow mover, and the first divemaster told him that, but the only way I could keep track of this guy was by the cloud of silt he had kicked up. No fish at all, very little to see, so after 45 minutes when he said surface I was more than ready. By now the anchor had torn up a strip of the reef (soft coral and sponges) about 80-100' long. Needless to say, I will be looking to dive with someone else next year when I do go back. Yes, go back, the island itself is that nice, friendly people, great food, beautiful beach, and oh yea, Carriacou, which is a short, and very enjoyable, ferry ride, is supposed to have better diving, so I'll try at least once more.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank 589Rsmith

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best dive centre in Grenada!”
Reviewed 5 April 2012 via mobile

If you're interested in diving, whether just starting out or something of an expert, I highly recommend Adrian and his team. It is a family run dive school and is the first and only Grenadian run and owned dive school on the island! So you don't get more local knowledge than that!  Adrian, the owner and dive master is extremely qualified and experienced (part of the police coast guard for Grenada) and is a real character too so is sure to make your diving and holiday a lot of fun! I completed my PADI open water qualification with Native Spirit and felt in really safe hands and even those more experienced divers with us said they had tried other dive schools in Grenada and had not had the same level of service and fun as with Adrian and the team. It is testament to their reputation that we met so many people who had returned year after year to dive with Native Spirit.  We had a lot of fun with Adrian and his team and hope to go back and dive with them again soon!

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Native Spirit Snorkeling!”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

My husband and I were on a royal caribbean cruise and I booked this excursion outside the cruise line before we left for the cruise. I just have to say that this was one great excursion in every way. I cannot think of one bad thing about it other than I wish it had been longer and I wish that we had more time to snorkel in the best spots without feeling a little rushed, but again that could just be room for improvement, but I would recommend Native Spirit to anyone young and old. Thanks guys for a great time...

Visited February 2012
little rock, ar
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Excellent certification experience”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My husband and I got open water certified with Native Spirit Scuba. Oscar was an excellent coach and took us on some great dives. I was terrified at first, but he made me feel very safe. I ended up loving it!

Visited December 2011
Belgium
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“exellent dive center, good equipment”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I can not recommend Native Spirit Scuba, Adrian and his staff highly enough!! They took me on exciting trips to Hema I, Purple Rain, Bianca C and Kahonee. Saw my first rays, sharks and beautiful reefs (my first dives in the Caribbean, what can I wish more??!!!) Native Spirit Scuba has a comfortable boot. Adrian and his staff are very friendly and helpfull : they carried the equipment to the boot, helped me to put on/off the equipment and helped me to get on the boot again. I rented BCD and regulators and they were all in good shape and well maintained. Adrian can judge very well divers capacity and my weightbelt (thank you for that, Adrian!). I felt really in safe hands. His wife picked me up (and my husband and children) at our cottage, which was a great help because we didn't have a car and minibuses are not running frequently on Sundays. My husband and children, who stayed at the beach, could use Native Spirits toilet which was very handy. When I showed up last minute for two more dives but couldn't do them with Native Spirit Scuba because they planned a full day snorkling trip, Adrian arranged for me a trip with Devotion 2 Ocean. They were also good and friendly, but I prefered the big smile and smaller boot of Adrian.

Visited October 2011