“Best pub by far”
Review of The Hatch Pub - CLOSED

The Hatch Pub
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Proper pub with wood fires and real ale and a landlord who is passionate about his trade. Good food also served and this is the cleanest pub I have ever been in.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Lest work to go to The Plough but couldn't sit down so went to The Hatch instead. Had a very nice drink and entertaining chat with colleagues. One bizarre moment was watching the kangaroo toilet training on the pub TV but otherwise a good local with friendly staff and good beer.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

Checked on Web site, food served until 9pm. Four of us arrived at 8.30pm and ordered drinks. At the same time time requested menus, but were told Chef would not accept any more orders for food. The Guy behind the bar was very apologetic, tried to explain but excuse didnt really ring true. The food we did see coming out looked really nice, we were dissapointed we didnt get chance to sample it. (note the pub was NOT that busy so really not sure why food was a problem)

Will probably try again sometime maybe.

6  Thank CJM1955
roypeacock, Owner at The Hatch Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

We are sorry that you were disappointed, however we have only a small operation regarding the food and rather than disappoint by slow service we operate a policy of advising that the kitchen cannot take any further orders should we be busy and even though the front area may have not have looked busy we do have a large area at the back which was. We do however take bookings and would advise that you contact us first to avoid any future disappointments.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

My partner and I often walk from Redhill town centre to Reigate and back on the weekends and decided to call in for lunch one day. We'd been looking for somewhere decent to eat and drink in the area and Redhill town centre is a bit on the dire side. We are SO glad we found this place and have eaten there 3 times in the last 2 weeks.

FOOD

Meal 1

I had Burger & Fries. Fantastic tasting burger, meaty and moist but zero excess fat, gorgeous side salad including ingredients fresh from the pub's garden and some of the best beef tomatoes I have tasted, dressed with a simple vinagrette and proper fries.

My partner had the gammon steak with pineapple and the triple cooked chunky chip. The gammon was out of this world and the triple cooked chunky chips, well let's just say they are an occasional indulgence - anything that tastes that good has to be!

Meal 2

We had steaks, a rump and a fillet, both with a fantastic flavour, a lovely salad and home made chips (notice we've now had the triple cooked chips, fries and home made chips - 3 different types of chips on one menu!)

We indulged in a dessert this time. I had the apple crumble which is like my Nan used to make - warm and stodgy and heavenly, but it tasted much better than my Nan's (sorry Nan!) due to the cinammon, cloves and other fruit. The vanilla ice cream that accompanied it was divine (flecks of real vanilla in it). Instead of ice cream, I could have chosen clotted cream, pouring cream or custard - outstanding choice! My partner had the chocolate pot, which looked small but once you get into it, you realise why - rich isn't the word - this little pot is a millionaire!

Meal 3

I had a Ploughman's Board from the Special Menu - lovely bit of ham, nice piece of creamy cheddar, a decent sized artesan baguette, real butter and a home made onion relish and a home made fruit chutney - I couldn't finish it!

My partner had the home made lasagna with a rocket salad (from the garden) and parmesan - she thought it was a great meal.

DRINKS

I've tried the Thatcher's Gold and the Thatcher's Heritage ciders - glasses are impeccably clean, as are the lines. My partner stuck with the Asahi lager which was also tip top.

LANDLORD

Roy spent a good hour just chatting with us on our first visit, explaining all about the desire to serve up decent home made food at a fair price, using, wherever possible, produce grown on the premises. After some trials with various butchers, all of the meat is now provided by a local Butcher, Les Alan, whom my partner and I are now going to use for our own meat at home - the quality is outstanding. The menu changes regularly to reflect good deals which keeps both the choice and the prices fresh and competetive. The ales and guest ales are extensive and well looked after by this experienced landlord and there are plenty of events going on both in collaboration with and to support the local community. There are organised wine and whisky tasting events and the pub also has a try before you buy policy on all ales.

In Roy we found a man who is passionate about what he does, with an eye for the little details that make the difference between good and excellent.

PRICES

On the drinks and food we've been having, it's been about £4 a pint and £10 a meal - for the quality of both the beer and the food, this is very reasonable indeed.

CONCLUSION

You won't find a better run establishment in this area - come along and support The Hatch - this area is crying out for a decent pub and we will certainly be supporting it as much as we can!