“Jazz Night”
Review of The Hatch Pub - CLOSED

The Hatch Pub
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We visit The Hatch regularly and always enjoy the beer/wine and food. Tonight we had excellent Beef and Ale pies with some nice beer plus some very good jazz. The staff treat us like valued locals and keep a very comfortable/clean house.

All reviews
in 2 reviews
in 14 reviews
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The cleanest pub I have ever seen with a fine selection of real ales. A proper pub with a wonderful ambience.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I've eaten at many pubs and the hatch is one of the nicest places I've eaten the staff welcomed us and explained if we wanted food there is a wait witch we was fine with me an my partner order our drinks at the bar the staff new there beers an wines witch pleased my partner,we placed our food order hunters chicken and my partner ordered the Sirlion steak we waited for 35 but we were glad we waited as it was amazing you could tell it was fresh food an piping hot the steak cook medium rare Wiv chips (nice chunky chips) you could tell it had just been cooked and not out of a hot cupboard the steak just melted in the mouth. My hunter chicken hit the spot chicken breast cheese bacon BBQ sauce Yum! is all I can say...loved our experance and will be going back ")

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I used to come to this pub all the time when I lived round the corner some years ago. I was catching up with a couple of old friends so we went to my old favourite, it used to be a very humble little pub but it is no longer. I do welcome changes but this definitely wasn't for the better.

We arrived at 1.00 and we ordered pretty quickly as we were starving. I noticed the menu stated that the food takes slightly longer to arrive because they cook everything fresh, this was music to my ears as I'm a massive supporter of freshly made pub food.

However, it did take 45 minutes for our food to arrive, we didn't order anything complicated, my friends had the Sunday roast beef and I had the beef burger. When it arrived, I was somewhat disappointed with what was presented to me, a very small patty with the circumference the size of a coffee mug, sitting on a thick slice of tomato and the hard and thick parts of a lettuce. It came with a small handful of fries, when I said small handful, I meant a hand of a small child.

My friends' roasts came with a side of veg, my friend grabbed the plate of veg and placed it next to his plate so that he could serve himself at which point the manager/owner(?) commented that the heat from the plate could damage his table (a very well used standard pub table).

I tried to eat mine as slowly as I could so I can stretch the tiny portion of my meal but I did finish the whole thing with a few mouthfuls.

I'm a passionate burger fan and I am not convinced it was grounded on location, which I think it should be if it proudly states that the food is freshly made and they want us to excuse the late arrivals. I had a small pot of tea with my meal which was £2.20 (one teabag).

The meal didn't take us long to finish, my friends ordered dessert at 2.00, by 2.35, the waiter came and told us that it will take another 5 minutes, at which point I left, hungry.

I can understand freshly made food takes time to cook but that was too long. The pub was small and it wasn't full; freshly made food is not an excuse, other restaurants do that as well and better ones are well planned and well prepared; and with a promise like that, higher than average quality will be expected. I don't think I will be returning to this pub.

3  Thank AvermaC
roypeacock, Owner at The Hatch Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

We are very sorry that you were not happy with our food at The Hatch and would like to answer some of the issues you had.
In terms of the wait, we can only apologise for this, however as you point out we are a small establishment and can easily get overloaded with orders, in your particular case the order was placed within a few moments after a few large orders however we do try to warn customers of the long wait.
We are at a loss in understanding why you thought the burger was ground on site, the menu stipulates that we purchase this from our butcher, which is then cooked to order. The burger size may appear small however this is a 4oz burger and is quite thick.
Portioning food is very difficult to get right, however our staff are ready to provide bigger portions should you require.
With regards to the Tea, the pot does provide 2 cups and in comparison to other pubs and coffee houses you will find this to be quite competitive.
We welcome feedback and respond to criticism and we are surprised you mentioned nothing during your meal even after we asked you if all was well, however we have taken on board your feedback and will look closely at our offering.