The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ko Nakha Yai
Bangkok
“Blisfull”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

The perfect getaway! If your idea of a holiday is just to recharge, this is the place. Unbelievable spacious villa with private pool, outdoor bathtub, indoor steam room. I just go wow wow wow. And a big plus is the exceptional friendliness of the staff. That itself is a big 5 star. A big mention to Ms. Thunya, the director of rooms, she is a superstar. Makes my already perfect stay so much more ' blessed'. Do try the SPA. I think thats how heavenly so feel like. I basically floated for that 2 hours.
I will be back soon!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Desmond C,
It pleases me no end to read in your review that your experience at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket was the perfect getaway.

I would like to thank you for posting your thoughts on Trip Advisor and can assure you that your kind words will be shared with all of our exceptionally friendly staff, with a special mention to Khun Thunya and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for your next heavenly stay with us at the Luxury Collection Phuket.

Erich Friedl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
dublin
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Naka Island two years ago and can't get enough for this place. The service are outstanding and villa were amazing. Really love this place so much.

Guess what ? accommodation booked for another 10 nights this coming September ! Can't wait !!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear indulge,
We are definitely looking forward to welcoming you back in September to the Naka Island, A Luxury Collection resort & Spa, Phuket, too.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your second stay with us so much that you have already booked again for a third time and I thank you also for posting your second review of The Naka Island Resort on Trip Advisor for the benefit of other travelers.

We eagerly await your arrival in just a few short months from now and will be ready at the gong for you to join us in our customary welcome ceremony to mark the beginning of your next memorable Naka Island experience.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I will start this review by stating that this is not a prefect resort but we loved this place and as my wife said during the holiday, "the longer you stay in one place the more holes you start to pick in it".

We started the trip with a pick up at the harbour Ao Po in a speed boat to the island. As we landed we were greeted with a gong banging tradition and a smile, plus the obligatory orchid bracket. All very sweet and part of the charm of the hotel. The hotel then dispenses with the tawdry concierge check in and instead take you for a tour of the facilities and then straight to your room where you sign the necessary paperwork. Very nice touch.

We stayed in the basic room which was ample. Outdoor shower and bath, indoor shower with steam room facility, two basins, toilet, wardrobes and draws ample for two weeks clothes. All of this is separate from the room through a covered walkway. Then the room has a SDB, air con, fans, huge bed (very comfortable), mini bar, tea/coffee facilities, TV, DVD and beautiful views over your pool and the surrounding beauty. Outside the room there is a pool, sun beds, gazebo area with chess board. We were in room 23 which is pretty much the highest point of the island and the occasional buggy back from the restaurant is needed, however the views over the mountain are great. If you want beach views then high 30's and low 40's rooms would be good. Facilities are really good, very comfortable and serviced very well. One thing I would note is the hours for turn down seem quite long so unlike other resorts where if you are in your room at the wrong time you miss out, at Naka they come back later.

There are two restaurants in the resort, the TonSai and My Grill. TonSai does your breakfast and lunch plus a more Thai based menu in the evenings. My Grill does steaks and fish and is a bit more expensive but STG members get 15% discount on their food. Breakfast is great, yes after 10 days it gets a bit samey but I think that can be levelled at most places. The juices are rotated daily (choice of 4every day), there is cava, plus freshly made, tea, coffee (inc cap/latte etc) and a selections of teas. There are several pastries, cereals, cheeses, cured meats, yoghurts etc, plus a toaster, selection of breads and hot food. You can also order fresh eggs and there is a thai stir fry station. There was also an amazing pancake making machine which turned out pretty good fresh pancakes. Also lovers the honeycomb always a favourite of mine. Although I am not a fan of cooked breakfasts I think those who are might be disappointed, as there is a no pork rule in the resort so bacon is out and sausages are chicken based rather than pork. Ample choice for me and I was more than happy with the breakfasts.

Lunches were a great choice of Western and Thai affair. I have not desire to eat wraps and burgers whilst in Thailand so I stuck to Thai food. The stir fried mixed veg was fantastic, great flavour, as was the chicken with cashew nuts and the Tom Sam papaya salad. The papaya salad with chicken was a favourite of mine with great fresh flavours. My wife did have a burger which she though was great.

Dinner was an extension of the lunch menu in TonSai but additions of the soft shelled crab and the squid have greater variety and all tasted great. My only complaint for all the food was the red curry chicken was very dry. This only happened once in the 9 days we were there and the red curry sauce tasted lovely.

The My Grill food tasted a little bit more refined but then you are paying for it. We had steak and fish on our two visits. The fish was cooked superbly although it was a faff having to take it off the bone but I would recommend yellow snapper as it had great flavour and melted in your mouth. The steaks were very tasty as were the sauces and vegetables that come with them. Overall the costs were not extortionate but compared to Thailand in general it was expensive. The one thing I would note is that when you ask for your steak to be cooked a certain way it comes one stage rarer. My wife's medium/well was still red in the middle (rather than pink). My medium was very rare in the middle. This was not a problem for me but just a word of warning for those who don't like undercooked meat. When my wife asked for well done on her second steak it still had a hint of pink so we had learnt and I think proves the kitchen generally under cooks their steaks.

Overall food is great, no a la carte but good flavour, well cooked and we were very pleased with all but one meal. Also the crackers are really tasty and the chilli paste that come with it is hot and sweet.

The service in the restaurants is great and service in general is the main reason for a 5 star for Naka. Everyone is there trying to make this a great holiday for you. The staff in both restaurants are great, very attentive and see to your very need. The only bits I would says it that in TonSai, if you are sitting on the beach there is a tendency (especially when busy) to get forgotten and there are occasions also when bread/crackers don't turn up. Yes we can ask for them but..........

The Z bar is on the other side of the resort, great margaritas (although the White Russian was not great) and broad beans and olives for all drinkers. The service was again great and between 3-6 there is happy hour 241. They have also built the bar so you can sit watching the sun go down which is a great way to end the day (18:30).

We also visited the Spa, again service was great, I think the Swedish massage I had could have been a bit firmer but overall we were both satisfied with our massages. There were also massages available on the beach although when we tried to get one they were busy (although did not see anyone else get a massage in the beach that day), but they may have been in the Spa rather than the beach.

I am sure I could write lots more but lastly I would like to thank the Exec Chef for the time he spent with us and he also offered an additional cooking class on the Tom Sam salad. Really helpful, great to talk to and along with the rest of the staff in the resort gave a great level of service to his guests.

Overal I would recommend this place, if you hate isolation then this may not be the place for you as there is not a lot on the island except the resort and a beach on the other side of the island. The viz for snorkelling is not great but paddle boarding and kayaking round the island is. The long tail boat trip to Panang Nga is worthwhile and a great trip, however service is where this place stands out and all the staff seem to have the same goal. The food is very good and we really loved everything about this place, we would go back and as an alternative to the Maldives this is somewhere worth considering. No you can't snorkel off the beach but it costs you about half as much plus the Thai people are some of the friendliest and accommodating in the world.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Wildsnoopster,
Thank you for posting such a detailed review of your recent Naka Island experience on Trip Advisor and recommending our resort to other travelers.

It was a joy to read through your long list of comments and having you score our hotel so highly certainly indicates that The Naka Island Resort & Spa, Phuket, was the ideal island resort destination for you and your wife.

I have shared your review with our Naka Team and they will appreciate your kind compliments regarding their service and friendliness and our Director Of Cuisine, Ian Thomason, will also be very welcoming to your comments in regard to your appreciation of the resort food.

We would love the opportunity to welcome you back for another unforgettable Luxury Collection Phuket getaway in the near future.

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I was after a resort for a week to relax with my husband before the birth of our first child, peaceful, private and romantic, our last "hoorah". I'm so glad we chose Naka it was PERFECT! We booked a pickup online, it was nice to have someone wait for us at the airport with cold water and a fancy car, it's only a 20min ride, we paid 600baht each way but you could probably haggle cheaper considering the short distance. It was that short distance that was a real winner for us, as I didn't want to commute too far in the heat being preganant. It was 20min in car, 10min in boat, literally within 40mins of leaving Phuket airport we were checked into an island resort and enjoying our villa! Those villas, WOW! We didn't choose a seaview, preferring the privacy of the garden ones. It was like living in your own little home for a week, wiith gardens, private pool, outdoor loungers etc It was the biggest sqm "room" we've ever had. I loved the design, adobe joined huts. The main one being by the pool, the best hotel beds in the business, bose sound system, glimpses of the sea, birds chirping in the gardens, delightful. I loved the back area joined by open air corridor. It meant all our cases and "mess" was out the back and away from our lovely living hut. It's open air but all meshed so I didn't have any problems with mosquitos but keep the doors closed obvioulsy. Don't bring everything from home, this is a natural island resort not the French Riviera, not Mykonos, not Florida. Don't bother with hair drying (the humidity will frizz it straight away anyway), don't bother with makeup (its gonna slide right off) and don't bother with heels (you look silly walking in sand). The resort has a very natural feel not manicured lawns, a private island paradise. Lets talk food and drinks. We found it very affordable and cheap considering it's a 5* island resort. It was cheaper than the South Pacific Islands we've been to (Tonga, New Caledonia, Vanuatu) and the Maldives. We live in the Middle East, so we can only drink alcohol in 5* hotels, we pay about 3 times as much for a beer than they charge on Naka. So pricing is all relative, if approx 220baht is too expensive for a can of Singha for your budget, that's cool, don't sit there all week upset and moaning, pick a hotel on the mainland and have a great time there. Having said that a great deal can be had in Z Bar from 3-6pm, perfect views across the sea (this view looks like some parts of Ha Long Bay, Vietnam) and it's 2-1! Let me tell you those drinks are not watered down and the Naka Rum Coconut Special (in a coconut) is amazing (I need that recipe!). We also enjoyed the Tapas special at Z Bar (all you can eat 850++baht) tasty food and a good break if you feel like a light night. The Tonsai breakfast buffet is fabulous and good value because you won't need lunch. My husband liked the Bloody Mary bar :-) Tonsai had some great curries, don't miss the soft shell crab curry. Actually everyhting we ate there was good. My Grill is nice for a special dinner, the steak we had there was incredibly tender, seasoned perfectly with salt and a nice char, so good. Don't miss the curry cooking class, makes a green curry look very easy! English requests can be a little hard, but I don't speak Thai so I think it's pretty fair and all part of the fun. My husband enjoyed the gym and thai kick boxing and the kayak around the island was a good workout! We didn't leave the island, i wanted to relax but they've just started a complimentary shuttle each day to the marina (leaves 730am, returns 5 or 10pm). This would be great for a day trip down the main areas I imagine and easier enough to organise a taxi online, a great idea and an example of listening to customer feedback. The services were great, wifi was really fast, don't forget all the electricity has to be generated on the island, water has to be bought in and everything packed onto a boat to get to the island, I was amazed at the quality and variety. Don't forget a massage in the spa, make sure you get Ma, gentle as a mouse on me, brutle on my husband, thank you :-) They also do these amazing inroom baths were they transform your outdoor bath into the most romantic thing you've ever seen for about 600 baht. The big pool is great but we enjoyed our private pool more, skinny dip until your hearts content, sunbake topless in your own private garden. There was a couple of times we requested things and the staff were so excellent they remembered for the rest of the visit, we drink diet coke and had it ordered up, rest of the holiday diet coke was in the fridge. Hubby drank 4 beers from the fridge instead of the standard supplied 2, no problem each day more was added. We were going through about 8 complimentary bottles of water a day, she increased it each day, almost challenging us! Subtle but appreciated. The 6* - anticipation of needs. To all of the staff thank you for a great baby moon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SumoDoha
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear SumoDoha,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a comprehensive 5 Star review of your recent stay at The Naka Island Resort & Spa, Phuket on Trip Advisor for the benefit of other travelers.

Reading such positive feedback from and experienced traveler as yourself makes me extremely proud of our Naka Island Ambassadors and our resort as a whole and your kind words have been shared with our entire team.

I am delighted that you chose to stay at The Naka Island Resort as your last hoorah prior to the arrival of your baby and wish you both good luck and good health for the arrival of your baby and hope to see you again in the future for a peaceful and memorable family Naka Island vacation.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 March 2014

From the get go, the service was excellent! The whole experience, from meeting at the airport to transport to marina, unto the speed boat and finally to check in is was seamless. The staff's attention to detail is amazing. They remember our requests, our preference and work in the background to get everything done to make our stay memorable. They are always around and yet not obtrusive at all.
The villa itself is beautiful and luxurious. We stayed in Villa 56, and we got to see lovely sunset every day and wake up to beautiful seaview every morning. While the property is almost full, we felt very much alone and we value the privacy afforded by the property. Lounging on the poolside with my wife, with a glass of delicious freshly squeezed pineapple juice by our side and watching the beautiful scenery ahead of us is sheer bliss, almost heaven!
Certainly one of our best experience so far.
One last comment, the thai restaurant serves authentic thai cuisine,,,at affordable prices.

Only one thing went below expectation, the cocktails at Z bar...really bad..we could not even finish the 1 glass we ordered.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear StevenTTG,

Thank you so much for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket.

I am delighted to read that our Ambassadors took such great care of you during your stay with their service and attention to detail and it is also very nice to hear that you enjoyed our Thai Cuisine in the Tonsai restaurant and your private Sea View Pool Villa.

Please accept my apologies for the cocktails at Z-Bar not reaching your expectations. Our mixed drinks consistently receive praise in our guests’ feedback for quality and consistency and I would like to confirm that your comment is currently being reviewed by our Food & Beverage management.

We look forward to seeing you again when you next visit Phuket for another memorable Luxury Collection experience.

La Quinta, California
Reviewed 1 March 2014

...And we weren't disappointed!
When we got off the plane at the Phuket airport I was worried I had made a big mistake with our first visit to Thailand ..the place was a ZOO... Until we were greeted by the hotel representative who put us into the hotel car and we were whisked away to PARADISE. After a short car ride and a lovely speedboat ride to Naka island all our fantasias came true!
We were greeting at the long dock of the resort by Sarome, who escorted us to our beach front bungalow where we checked in ...such a nice welcome vs. standing at a counter ! The villa was "tropical chic" ...beautiful wood, glass and stone used to enhance the natural feeling under a thatched roof .all the villas have a private walled outdoor area . An additional outside shower, tub +sitting bed put the accommodations over the top! (Recommend beach front unit 69 private but close to pool + restaurants.)
We are big spa fans and the spa at Naka was A+. The grounds were huge, lots of use of water + the private massage rooms were like something out of a dream. I would highly recommend the Hot Oil 80 minute treatment. We loved the experience so much we went back serval times.
The Hotel grounds are peaceful and lovely...we enjoyed the big oceanfront pool with the lounge chairs chairs in the water and the experiencing Sunsets at Z bar. There was always a staff member available to offer us rides in the buggies if we didn't want to walk!
As to the food..it was overall very good...not excellent ... However all the fresh fish we had was outstanding! The breakfast buffet was very, very good...lots of choices.
To sum it up...if you are looking for a TOTALLY RELAXING EXPERIENCE....nothing beats Naka island . We will be back one day!
PS A Thai longboat ride to explore the local islands is A MUST if you want to get up and "do something"!

Room Tip: The beach front or ocean view are worth the extra bucks!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank iluvhawaii-6
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear iluvhawaii-6,
Its great to hear that you enjoyed a totally relaxing experience with us recently at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket.

We appreciate reading your compliments regarding your smooth arrival and check in, private beach front villa, Spa Naka treatments, daily buffet breakfast and sunsets at Z-Bar and we are also glad that you were able to take advantage of an excursion to the local islands on a long tail boat during your stay.

Thanks once again for posting your 5 Star review on Trip Advisor and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future for another unforgettable Luxury Collection experience.

toronto
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This place is truly amazing. There is absolutely nothing to complain about, it is simply paradise on Earth. Our villa was an upgrade but I am sure all villa's are great, it is very quiet place in general (sometimes you get some loud families).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jrtravelToronto
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear jrtravelToronto,

It is with joy that I read your glowing 5 Star review of our property following your recent stay.
The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket has often been described by our guests a ‘Amazing’ and it is a thrill to hear it from you also and to know that we reached your expectations during your time with us.

We look forward to the welcoming you again to The Naka Island for another memorable and peaceful island getaway in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ko Nakha Yai
#2 of 327 in Patong
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
#3 of 34 in Choeng Thale

Been to The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket? Share your experiences!