Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
BM0409
Los Angeles, California

Worst Resort Experience

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 4 weeks agovia mobile
What a disappointing mistake. I checked into the Naka after having spent 4 days at the Banyan Tree Koh Samui (amazing).

Do not be fooled by these reviews and misleading photos. The below resulted in us leaving the resort after one night, something we’ve never done before.

Beach- Trash littered across the beach upon arrival and glass bottles washing up on shore. Grounds are not well kept-brown and dry, not lush as you’d expect.

Welcome - Nobody greeted us upon arrival at the pier.No welcome drink, or even a greeting. Just whisked into a buggy with another family and taken to concierge. From there we waited in the heat for our room key, even though they had ample time to prepare during our boat ride over and initial check in at marina.

Villa - NO AIR CONDITIONING in half of the unit. Basically the toilet, closet, dresser, shower, sink area has ZERO AIR. This was not highlighted in the room description and odd given the scorching temperatures.

Even though the grounds are large, you only get bikes for two hours, then have to pay to rent.

Broken screens with bugs getting in.

But the cherry on the cake was a bloody towel we found folded up in the bathroom.

As a result of these issues, we decided to check out after one night. While the team responded professionally and courteously, and comped one nights stay, they refused to compensate beyond that. I elevated this to Marriott customer service hoping they would make things right with extra points and I got nowhere.

We lost a whole day of our trip due to Naka's failure to deliver the basic cleanliness and service they advertise as five-star.
Date of stay: May 2024
Room Tip: No air conditioning
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Responded 4 weeks ago
Dear melanie_0409,
Thank you for your feedback. The resort Director of Operations has been in touch with you over email and while I appreciate that you did not enjoy the design of the Villa's it is great to see that you experienced the professionalism and courtesy of the resort team who really make the difference in people's stays.
I wish you safe travels.
£281
8.5 miles from The Naka Island, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket
Breakfast included
View more hotels in Ko Nakha Yai
1,738 results
All reviews z bar steam room private pool six senses free ice cream tropical villa grill restaurant sea view villa private island ao po grand marina main island phang nga bay outdoor bathtub executive chef main pool ice room local village
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Naka Island is absolutely beautiful! We had a wonderful experience and highly recommend the hotel. The scenery and villas are beautiful and we loved the staff (especially Noom at Rum Chapel)! Marriott could update some of the outdoor areas (e.g. the outdoor area by the spa), but that was our only critique :)

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
David Campbell, Owner at The Naka Island, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear elizabethlT8439CM,
Thank you for your review, I will pass along your feedback to Khun Noom our beloved Rum Chapel team member. I appreciate the feedback on the the outdoor areas which are to be addressed with an upcoming resort improvement project in the next year or so. I wish you safe travels and hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed 7 May 2024 via mobile

An old friend and I stayed for 3 nights recently in a villa with pool. Service was excellent for the most part. Our only service issue was the villa bell situation. After ringing the bell, many of the employees would wait for one of us to come to the gate or at least to our front door before they would come in. It’s annoying when it happens multiple times. I understand they did this for our privacy, but they were following their own system of using the do not disturb or “please enter” sign. Another thing we wish we knew prior to booking - the entire bathroom area is open air with screen so no air conditioning. That’s lovely most of the year but not when staying at the hottest time of the year.

The pools are nice, private beach is clean and well kept. All staff knew us by name and would address our every need in a timely way! Breakfast was delicious. We particularly enjoyed the made to order juice bar!

From arrival at the marina to check out, staff was attentive.

Would definitely come back! The Bonvoy elite cooking class was a bonus!

Room tip: Don’t stay in a villa during the hottest time of the year. Breakfast and most restaurants are open air so be prepared if it’s hot weather.
Trip type: Travelled with friends
David Campbell, Owner at The Naka Island, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2024

Dear liveandlove2travel,
Thank you for sharing your experience. Service excellence is paramount to the resort team, and I'm glad to hear that, for the most part, it met your expectations. I can understand your frustration with the villa bell situation; it's essential for us to balance privacy with efficient service delivery. The open-air bathroom design is indeed delightful for most seasons but might pose discomfort during the hottest times of the year.

It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the pools and the well-kept private beach. Being addressed by name and having your needs promptly attended to reflects the personalized service we strive for. I'm delighted that you found the breakfast delicious, especially the made-to-order juice bar.

From your arrival at the marina to your check-out, it's heartening to know that our staff provided attentive service throughout your stay. And I'm thrilled to hear that the Bonvoy elite cooking class was a delightful bonus for you.

I look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable stay.

Reviewed 1 May 2024

If you like impeccable service, wonderful food and elegant rooms, stay here. I spent 4 nights at the Naka Island and it exceeded my expectations which were high going in. I ate at all three restaurants and the food was outstanding and the selection at breakfast was overwhelming - in a good way. The staff, from the moment you arrive, is friendly, professional and on point. I stayed in an Oceanfront VIlla with a pool and it was wonderful. Spacious room, good air conditioning and a separate, air conditioned dining room. One thing that did surprise me is the bathroom, toilet and vanities are not air conditioned so they were muggy the whole time. The beach isn't the best I have seen but the water is clear and easy to swim in. There are a lot of jet skis right off the beach that get old after a while.

Date of stay: April 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
David Campbell, Owner at The Naka Island, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2024

Dear bgou,
Thank you for the wonderful review, from such a seasoned travel it is great to read. I will share your feedback with the team who will be very excited to hear that their efforts have not gone unnoticed. I appreciate the areas you have highlighted for improvement and will work with the resort team to rectify.
Safe travels and thank you for choosing The Naka Island.

Reviewed 29 April 2024

Very impressed by this Hotel and their service.

Secluded hotel on the small island with clean private beach and amazing service.
We were greeted immediately on the main island (was easy to find) at the port and the hotel staff members took care of us and our luggage.
We were very pleased to have been upgraded to the room with the private pool due to our status with Mariott (even though the website stated no upgrades).
Each villa is very private and peaceful.
The sunset views at this hotel are phenomenal and evening shows are fun too.
My husband and I really enjoyed sound bath experience that the hotel offers! Would definitely recommend.

The variety of the buffet dishes was great but the quality of food could have been better.
Upon departure they gave us several gifts (which usually never happens at other hotels).

Date of stay: March 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
David Campbell, Owner at The Naka Island, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2024

Dear 45mariiam,
I am happy to read that you felt the service was amazing while staying at The Naka Island. I am blessed to work with such a dedicated team who loves to exhibit authentic Thai hospitality. I appreciate the feedback on the food and will share it with the culinary team so that we can work to improve, as we always do.
I wish you safe travels and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 April 2024

We had a memorable time. I can't thank you enough to all the associates for a personalized service we had.
Chana, reservation gave us the first impression accommodating our requests prior the arrival. I already felt a genuine hospitality through the phone call.
Rin assisted us with the smooth check-in upon arrival at the pier. We so much appreciated her kindness helping us by walking to the pier to get our bags where we kept important things. Very pay attention to details service that i have never experienced else where. Our big thanks to the front desk team for the upgrade and the amenities arrangement that makes our anniversary complete and so memorable. Ann welcome us on the island introducing us to the history of naka island as well as the villa. We had a beautiful bed set up waiting for us, thank you Dul and Net for this wow moment upon our entering the villa also the turndown service.
I can't say enough how much we love it we just so enjoyed it and missed the sunset ceremony at zeabar. Need to come back for it in the next occasion. Oh and the food 10/10 i'd rate the cuisine. We had our dinner at My grill. Great service from Gift and the my gril's team everyone took a good care of us. Sorry i couldn't catch everyone's name and Brian gave us the recommendation help it easier for us choosing the menu. And thank you Earth from the Rum Chapel for tirelessly getting us the perfect photos. We had a good rest waking up refreshing with the nature sounds and surroundings. 10/10 for the breakfast too. Very delicious with many choices and healthy and the Seaview just makes no other place better than this. The breakfast service is details oriented. Finally thank you so much for the farewell souvenir we love it!

Room tip: PS from my BF but these are minor :) the Pillows are a but too soft. Would be great for having a fan in the toilet.
Date of stay: April 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
David Campbell, Owner at The Naka Island, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2024

Dear _19912EV,

Thank you immensely for sharing your experience! Chana, Rin, Ann, Dul, Net, Gift, Brian, and Earth, along with the entire team, are thrilled to have made your anniversary celebration so special. It's wonderful to hear that their dedication to personalized service shone through in every interaction, from reservation to departure. I'm especially pleased to learn that you appreciated the attention to detail and the extra efforts they made to ensure your stay exceeded expectations.

Thank you for highlighting the culinary delights at My Grill and the exceptional service provided by Gift and the team. Your compliments on the food and the attentiveness of our staff are truly appreciated. It's fantastic to hear that you found solace in the natural surroundings and that you were able to start each day refreshed and invigorated by the tranquil sounds of nature. Our breakfast team takes great pride in curating a delightful and nourishing experience, and they'll be thrilled to know that their efforts were well received.

I'm elated that you loved the farewell souvenir! It was a pleasure having you with us, and we can't wait to welcome you back for another unforgettable stay. Until then, may your memories of Naka Island continue to bring you joy and warmth.