“5 star resort 1 star service”

Pullman Phuket Panwa Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Cape Panwa
UK
“5 star resort 1 star service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

7 Nights in this hotel should have been a week of luxury but instead was a week of pain. Dont get me wrong, the scenery and the pools are fantastic and although we cant really fault the food (apart from constant chicken bones) the service of this was shocking. The lengthy waits for each element became laughable, being told to sit at a dirty table for breakfast and having to ask someone to clear it is not what I expected. I dont even know why they ask if you want coffee with breakfast as you are lucky for it to even arrive. Again in the evening we waited 30 minutes to order dessert. This lack of service would be more tolerable if 10% service charge wasnt added to EVERYTHING! The security staff however are very polite and the taxi man from the hotel became like a driver for us for a day, nothing was too much trouble for him. After staying in Radisson Blu London where the standards were second to none, I am leaving dissapointed that these are not worldwide standards and will be taking up my concerns directly with HQ.

1 Thank Taytini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Just returned from Thailand having spent ten nights at this hotel. Nice quite location but took nearly two hours to get there from the airport which resulted in my granddaughter being very travel sick. so having arrived late and tired with a sick two year old was a bit disappointed that it took reception staff nearly one further hour to sort out our rooms. The rooms were nice with fantastic sea views and up to the standard I would expect from a hotel such as this. We did have a nice stay enjoying the great pools overlooking the sea. However I feel the general service could have been a lot better . The restaurants waiting staff and quality of food did seem a bit hit and miss. breakfasts were good. a few good local restaurants in particular the Indian opposite the hotel served fantastic food. another problem was that local journeys by taxi were on average 1000 bt wich translates to about £20 pound per return journeys. The hotel had a shuttle service to some parts but limited and not a lot cheaper. I did have a restful time but unfortunately there were quite a few negatives to warrant me spending hard earned money to come here again.

Room Tip: try to upgraid to pool villa by sea.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Murali B
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel is a little hideway treat. We stayed here while on our honeymoon a few weeks ago, and beside the slow checkin the stay was an absolute treasure and we had excellent service the whole time. The pool bar boys were fantastic and super friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsHenderson2013
Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I would love to rate this hotel 5* for several reasons: great atmosphere, peaceful location, good beach, live music across the resort and great rooms. As a concierge member I got an upgrade to a pool villa which was a great surprise. Huge room with a big bathtub and private pool.

Having said that, I need to refer that one should be careful with the expenses inside the resort. The prices do not include taxes and service charge so the prices can be misleading. Sometimes the prices are not clearly identified, for instance for the breakfast.

As a concierge member I was expecting to have a complimentary breakfast and since it's better to be safe than sorry I clearly asked during the check-in whether it was complimentary, which was confirmed so. When I received the final folio I got the breakfast expenses to pay. Despite complaining they refused to remove them and after some discussion I was given a 50% discount. Luckily my stay was short, otherwise I would have a big bill to pay because the breakfast is very expensive. In any case I was misguided.

Overall I recommend this hotel but be careful with the expenses inside the resort.

4 Thank Diogo_Porto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

In my past resort experiences in South East Asia, the staff were most keen to showcase their spa and activities offering. Beware this is hardly the case at Radisson. During my three-night stay, the concierge did not communicate our five-person 3-hour booking to the spa; "forgot" to get back to me on cooking class availability despite my four phone calls. The worst part was - i saw they were promoting sailing trips on a tablet at the concierge. I was asked to do my booking for the same day at 8 am, when i had to first convince the day shift staff that they had such service, followed by an hour's wait before they told me its impossible to arrange it. A few of my friends' had stained bedsheets and bathrobes too. Terrible experience I'm afraid.

3 Thank Karen L
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Uppon arrival at the airport we arranged a hotel taxi (Which is a brand new Toyota Camry) which took us to the hotel. It's a 50min journey as the hotel is at the other end of the peninsula than the airport. We had a very professional driver who drove very calm and slowed down on potholes etc...

When arriving at the hotel we were welcomed with drinks uppon the terrace with the view of the ocean. The staff was well trained, spoke descent english and were very professional in handling the check in.

We got upgraded to the beach villa's, which had a big room with a kingsize bed and a view of the ocean, a terrace with a small private swimming pool, a gigantic badroom with a bath that could easily fit 4 people (not that you should try), a very good rain shower and a seperate toilet.

There are a lot of pools to swim, most of them with views of the ocean. You can also rent kayaks for free and attaned some activities torughout the day. There is also a free shuttle service who will bring you to Phuket town (where there is not a lot to do) or to a shopping centre (western styled).
Unfortunately there is no transport to Patong Beach for free. You can book trough the many shops and drivers in front of the hotel (they will harras you anyways every time you leave the hotel)

Opposite the hotel there are also 2 mini marts, selling drinks and some snacks . In the neighbourhood there are enough good restaurants to go to. The restaurant is also very good, but on the expensive side. The best one to our knowledge is Sawadee. When you leave the hotel, go to the left and keep on walking untill you see the ocean. Keep continuing in direction of the zoo, and right before the maritime entrance, you will have the restaurant.

Overall it was a very pleasant expierience, I could have stayed many more days :)

Room Tip: Beach villa's are really nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
RDPhuket, Executive Assistant Manager at Pullman Phuket Panwa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm Greetings from Sunny Phuket!!

Thank you for your kind words of appreciation. Happy guests such as yourselves are our true ambassadors.

We do offer shuttle service every evening to Patong. The charges are nominal at THB 250 per person per way.

We look forward to having an opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

Warm Regards

Sophia Sumitran
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We signed up for the “Family Funtastic” package upgrade (from the normal deluxe room) to a 70m2 junior suite with sea-view. The hotel added in the free airport transfer (normal 800 baht one-way), daily buffet breakfast for the family, extra beds for the kids, kids eat free at hotel restaurants, etc. Not bad for a week-end stay.

The transit was pretty smooth – upon arrival at the Phuket airport, we went to the exit and a rep has a sign that says “Radisson Blu Plaza Resort Phuket Panwa Beach” with my name on it. All we did was to write to the hotel informing them our schedule a few days earlier. Journey to the hotel was about 50 minutes - slightly further than other hotels but away from the busier places.

This is likely one of the best rooms that we have ever stayed in. Bed is a king size, and the hotel has already set up an extra bed for the kids when we reached the place (compared to other hotels that do it AFTER you have arrived). Other plus points are of course the size, which included 2 day beds, one near the window and the other at the balcony overlooking the swimming pool (and the sea), free Wi-fi, and daily supply of bottled water. What clearly is different for this room is that the toilet is separated from the bathroom, for obvious reasons. Also, rather than having the shower integrated with the bath-tub, there is a separate room for the shower (inclusive of rain-shower). Requested for late check-out and was allowed to stay until 2pm.

Food-wise, no complains – the breakfast is your typical 5-star hotel breakfast – lots of yummy stuff with selections of juice/hot-food/bread/cereal/fruit/cheese, eggs cooked to your liking and a “noodle station”. We did not manage to try the Thai restaurant (Azur) but the lunch and dinner at Aqua was pretty good. As the kids eat there for free, I thought this was excellent value for money. For approx. US$66 we had an appetizer, 4 main courses, and 2 desserts - more expensive (versus other Thai eating places) but you get better assurance that the food is clean.

One last thing, there is a 24-hour shop (similar to a typical 7-Eleven convenience store) just opposite the lobby. This is useful especially when we have a craving for Pringles or just something to munch before going to bed. There are other shops too (a pharmacy, among others) but we usually got back late evening after the day tours, so we did not manage to visit.

Yes, we definitely will stay at the hotel again.

Room Tip: Go for the junior suite, and choose the "Family Funtastic" package.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank weikwan72
Dear Guest,

Warm Greetings from Sunny Phuket!!

We look forward to having an opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations again.

Warm Regards

Cape Panwa Hotel
#4 of 13 in Cape Panwa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,487 reviews
Mandarava Resort and Spa

Been to Pullman Phuket Panwa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!