“Wonderful hotel, memorable stay”
Review of Cape Panwa Hotel

Cape Panwa Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Cape Panwa
London
“Wonderful hotel, memorable stay”
Reviewed 7 April 2009

My partner and I stayed here for a week and also got married at this hotel. We had a fantastic time and this was due to the wonderful staff, excellent and idylic location. When I arrived I had severe mossie bites on my feet which had swelled and Tim the manager advised me to go to the hospital and made sure I got a cab for wait and return. They planned our wedding really well so we had no stress or worries and everything was organised. We had full input and made decisions together. Pavinee was a great bridesmaid on the day and all the staff at the Cape spa made me feel special. Tim is very helpful and resourceful and any time we went to him he was always willing to help.

With regard to the hotel. We stayed in a standard room for one night, this was more than adequate although I did think the bathroom was a bit small. We were upgraded to a jacuzzi suite and this was much better obviously and bigger. The villa pools look nice although the pools are not secluded so not much privacy. The gardens and beach are spotless. The hotel pools are big and clean. There is a very relaxed atmosphere and it is a very quiet location, which was ideal for our wedding/honeymoon, there is no nightlife as such, if you get the shuttle bus down to the village eat at Sawasdee as food is good and cheap. Sunset Bar owned by Russle is definitely worth a look as Russel is a good host. But that is about it for the village. We went to Patong on the shuttle bus for one night but I hated it as it was like Tenerife very crowded and a strip of bars and markets etc.

My partner got a suit made at the Family Tree shop at the bottom of the hill, he did an excellent copy of a suit he brought with him and also threw in 2 shirts for £95, this was a bargain and very good quality so definitely give that shop a try if you want a good tailor.

My only complaint with this hotel is it is very expensive to eat here. Breakfast was included with our stay and I got bored of the breakfast as it is standard stuff, i.e. croissants, bread, scrambled eggs, etc, this is normal for Thailand though as it was exactly the same when we stayed in Bangkok. There are various restaurants but they are very expensive to eat in (compared to local prices outside hotel) and they put VAT and a 10% service charge on everything you order even if it is coke and they don't take cash so everything is charged to your room at the end of your stay. We had a sandwich with a few chips and a coke at the beach hut and this worked out to £17 (exchange rate being rubbish at the moment doesn't help) but I could eat lunch in a London pub and pay less. Having said that the food in the restaurants is very good, Cape Panwa House on the beach was really tasty. If I was stayin here for 2 weeks I probably would not eat in every night as it would be too expensive. I think the hotel needs to look at their prices for next year especially in the current climate.

We did the Phi Phi Island tour with the operator on the hill, the boat was very overcrowded so it did spoil your enjoyment of the day, Phi Phi Island is a tourist trap as well as all the boats arrive at the same time so was a little dissapointed, however it was a good day out as they let you do snorkelling off one of the islands and the lunch supplied was a good standard, we were glad of this trip as it broke up the holiday and was about £70 cheaper than booking thru the hotel.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for couples who want a very relaxing holiday in a beautiful location and with friendly guests and wonderful staff.

3 Thank tadgh1975

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Matlock Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2009

This was our second visit to the Cape Panwa hotel, this truly is a great hotel.
From the moment we arrived to the time we left, it was bliss.
Avoid this hotel if you want the party life that Patong offers this is only for you if you want to be away from it all, there are NO hawkers on the beach NO pushy time share people outside waiting for you.
If you do want a insight in to patong life there is a nightly bus that will take you to the party town for a 3 hour visit ( long enough, Fun, but you wouldnt want to stay there)
OK back to the hotel..
The beach is wonderful, there has been complaints about it on this site, its a beach things get washed up on it!! for the best views get a snorkel and look at the reef below.
The pool is a good size and remember there is a second pool nearer the beach.
Food is of a good standard but I would say de-spiced for our European taste but still very good.
For breakfast there is choice from all over the world, Thai, English, European and Japanese just a few I tried.
The Otter Bar is my favourite place in the hotel, 6.30 for Happy hour very very relaxing after a hard day doing nothing.
I did go in to the Light house this visit ( I was put off by the traditional pub tag)
and to my suprise had a great time, Happy hour 9.30.
What else can I say that has not been said on this site.
ONLY COME TO THIS HOTEL IF YOU WANT TO RELAX !!!
Dont come if you want party nights, bars, discos or kids clubs.
Do come if you want to find a hotel that lets you hide away from it all and relax, but offers you those little escapes just to make sure the rest of the world is still there....
On a last note Tim if your reading this, you and your staff are wonderfull and a credit to the hotel.
I have already contacted my travel agent to book for next year!!
Counting down the days till I return.........

1 Thank Neil P
Bristol
Reviewed 5 April 2009

Stayed at the Cape Panwa for 10 nights following 3 nights in Bangkok. Hotel is in a lovely spot with beautiful gardens and private beach. Very quiet location (as reported in previous reviews) and very relaxing. The beach is truly beautiful and there are plenty of sunbeds available either on the beach or by the main pool.

Rooms were adequate and have lovely views but the bathroom in our room could use an update but was clean. Bed really comfy.

Air Conditioning needed at night as it was really hot but was a little on the noisy side. All staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. We did the trip to Coral Island on the hotel's boat and was a great day out - would highly recommend it.

We booked dinner on the last night at the Panwa House restaurant and was a really nice end to the holiday. Food was really nice, waiter/waitresses really professional and the setting is magical.

All in all a fantastic time and would not hesitate to recommend it as a truly relaxing holiday in a beautiful location with friendly helpful staff.

ps take plenty of mosquito repellent!!

2 Thank JamNHoney
buenos aires
Reviewed 4 April 2009

We went to tihis beautifil hotel for our honey moon. the service is excelent and the emploees very good. We love all the restaurants and tne sunset on the asossiate hotel down the hill.
PERFECT

• Stayed December 2008
1 Thank nikaBA
Glasgow
Reviewed 2 April 2009

Ha the great pleasure to be at the Cape Panwa for two and a half weeks and was very pleasently surprised by what we got the hote is absolut heaven, lovely corteous staff, a home from home feeling comfortable unpretentious rooms and lovely service.
sandy down at the beach always remembered your order and was always on hand for a laugh or two and the housekeeper form the 3rd floor on block J was absolutely great. I work in a hotel back home and she spoke more english than our own housekeepers whom where polish.
The only down side are snakes one fell on me while sunbathing and obviously with palm trees in a tropical country what do you expect but I literally peed myself sorry for the lingo.
The restaurants are great too but go to sawarsary on Kentary Bay its great and they do take away too for a lazy night in.

2 Thank abianchi2805
Suffolk UK
Reviewed 27 March 2009

My husband and I have recently returned from a three and a half week stay at the Cape Panwa. We have stayed at other hotels in Phuket and really enjoyed them but the Cape Panwa was the best value for money. We stayed for longer than we normally would for a similar price
Our room which was very clean and comfortable overlooked the beach and it was lovelly to look at the shimmering sea as we drank our morning coffee on our balcony .
We both enjoyed our breakfast every morning. There was lots of variety and everything I had was very tasty. The service was excellent . We usually went to breakfast about eight o clock when it was reasonably quiet but on the one morning that we went later we were served with our coffee quite quickly and the tables were cleared as soon as guests left them.
We are not usually 'beach people' as we find the sand all around us a little irritating. We were therefore delighted to choose a bed in the coconut grove underneath a palm tree with grass under foot.. We spent many happy hours lounging around reading and listening to music. The beach bar was perfect to pop along to for an ice cold Chang. Sandy had our drink in front of us within minutes of us sitting down She and her co workers are so friendly and helpful. (We were not returners though we will be next year)
We didn't use the hotels restaurants as we like to use local restaurants.The ones we went to were very good and inexpensive.
We enjoyed having an after dinner drink at the Sunset Bar in the village and the Light House bar at the hotel Both had friendly staff and the wine wasn't bad either.
We had a great holiday and have alreadt booked for next year though we will stay at the Kantary Bat Hotel. (sister hotel of Cape Panwa in the village) They have studios and appartments and as we are staying for a month we would like a little more room.
We can recommend this hotel to most people though it being on a very steep hill might deter some people.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Derdi
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 23 March 2009

It's a the end of the Phuket island, so when you get there it's best to stay and enjoy the sun, beach, spa or outside massage services and trips organized by hotel or outside (price can be further negotiated / really further) travel agencies.

As it's at the end of Phuket it is also quiet neighborhood, so staying with the family and child (but better if not at the wing next to the Pub), is very, very, very, … pleasant.

You can easily take your younger children to the beach and not to worry that they disappear somewhere else than water (so only one direction to watch), there is quite steep hill and the hotel built on it (but a convenient "elevator" available too).

There is a whole selection of Restaurants available at the hotel, but we still went more than couple of times over the hill (by free shuttle bus every 10 minutes) and checked (with great enjoyment) the international fame of Thai food at couple of the local restaurants. BBQs at the hotel were very nice too.

A big surprise was that with the amount of rooms and being quite busy at the breakfast, the hotel during the day and even the evenings looked quite deserted (which was adding to the great relaxing atmosphere).

Complete surprise was an invitation to the Lounge after the check out time (this happened to us for the first time in our life, as usually the hotels has tendency to kick the guests out at 12 and might at most store the luggage for couple of more hours).

It was a great holiday and we will be back.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Amatara Wellness Resort
#3 of 13 in Cape Panwa
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach

Been to Cape Panwa Hotel? Share your experiences!