“Excellent Hotel - would return!”
Review of Cape Panwa Hotel

Cape Panwa Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Cape Panwa
Reviewed 8 May 2009

we stayed here for 10 nights as part of our honeymoon. Before leaving for Thailand, I was extremely concerned that we'd chosen the wrong hotel in Phuket, as I couldnt quite work out the location of the hotel and how close it was to town etc. Anyway, I shouldnt have worried. Yes, the location is quite far out but only a bus ride to Phuket town and other places.

The hotel is at the top of an extremely steep hill, but the hotel provides a free shuttle bus every 10 minutes down to the village at the bottom of the hill. The hotel also provides shuttle buses to Phuket town, Patong at night and to a large shopping centre in Phuket. We used all three services (at the cost of about £6 each, each way, which is a bargain considering the distance). We did also use the local bus at the bottom of the hill to go into Phuket town, which costs about 50p each, each way. This is a brilliant way to see how the locals really live, and i'd certainly recommend that over a taxi any day!

All the restaurants in the village were great - the best ones were Top of the Hill, Panwa Seafood (which doesnt only serve seafood) and Swasdee. All the food was great, we never had one bad meal (or one bad tummy!). All the locals and staff at the hotel are brilliant. Although I would say that the Guest Relations Manager only seems to speak to returning customers, which is a shame and doesnt encourage new guests to return again.

We also used the tour company next the Swasdee restaurant (in the village). We got a great price for a Phi Phi Island trip, which also included Maya Island and Monkey Beach, a great lunch and another stop at a beach for sunbathing. This trip is well worth the money and is half the price of the tour reps tours, but you get the same package!!

I would say that if you want constant shopping, bars, hundreds of different restaurants etc, then this isnt the place for you. However, if you want relaxation, good food etc and just a few trips out to main areas at good prices, then this is the perfect spot!

All the facilities at the hotel were great - the pools were good, the beach is lovely, although I did miss the beach sellers (although I'm sure this is the appeal for most people).

We had a standard room with a sea view, which was more than adequate. we would have loved to book a pool villa, but they were all booked up. They looked great. We didnt use the hotel restaurant at night, as we felt the prices were way too high. we appreciate that hotels are usually more expensive than other restaurants, but the mark up seemed to be ridiculous. You could eat at all the restaurants for less than half the price of the hotel. Breakfast was great though, lots and lots of choice, eggs made to order etc.

all in all, a great honeymoon and we'd certainly return to the cape panwa.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lauralou132

Reviewed 24 April 2009

In many visits to Cape Panwa we have never heard a voice raised in anger or experienced any unpleasantness. Tim, the guest relations manager has been wrongly maligned by hard to please guests. He is only humanand nobody can please all of the people all of the time. If you have a problem he always does his level best to resolve the problem for you. The team at Cape Panwa in terms of customer care would blow ANY staff from hotels in the UK to smithereens. From the hotel manager to the bell boy everybody cannot do enough to help you. Many of the guests do return time and time again. Surely this serves as a testament to just how fantastic Cape Panwa is. OK it is a bit dated in places but improvements are well underway to slightly modernise but where it is dated it adds to the magnificent ambiance of the hotel.The gardens are beautiful and more than well cared for. Whilst guests are having breakfast in the fabulous atmosphere of the Andaman restaurant there is a super-fit 62 year old.climbing a very high palm tree to lop the uppermost leaves off the tree.Zero interference to hotel guests. Nothing is left to chance. Returning guests have seen it all before. It is not as though the returning guests have formed a clique. It is just that they are pleased to see each other again and invariably their help is often sought from new guests. Cape Panwa is the best place in the world I have ever been to and I am indeed privileged to have been there.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jwarner095143
Reviewed 22 April 2009

The Cape Panwa is a beautiful hotel in a gorgeous very quiet location. The beach is private and very secluded and has some lovely well kept gardens where it was never difficult to get a sun bed. The sea was the warmest we have ever swam in and luckily for us we have swam in many warm tropical seas. There are also two pools where you could easily get sun beds but we preferred the beach were you generally got a bit of breeze which in the April heat was essential.

We found the hotel to be very quiet around the corridors and we slept great every night. The rooms are fine, clean, serviced every day, AC, TV, Mini bar, kettle etc are all standard both the hotel staff and service are good. There is a good selection of bars and restaurants on site and there is a regular free shuttle bus to another small selection of bars about 2 minutes away but make sure you make the effort to spend at least one night on the Bang La Road in Patong Beach which is about 40 minutes away but the hotel runs a shuttle bus for 300 baht (£6 (April 2009) each return. On the Bang La Road you will see a completely different side to Phuket; granted it’s the side you are paying good money to stay away from but it’s an experience you probably won’t forget and one night won’t hurt you and you can get cheap internet because our only real complaint would be the extortionate amount the Cape Panwa charges for internet access.

We didn’t bother with any trips. You can see Ko Phi Phi where The Beach was filmed from the hotel but we didn’t fancy a full day away for only half an hour in the infamous Maya Bay. Phang Nga where the Man with the Golden Gun is set is about 2 hours away each way.

One thing you should be aware of though. The grounds of the hotel are very lush and green with palm trees and vegetation everywhere. All very pretty and great for the local monkey population who roam about but beware of the mosquitoes. We wore plenty of deet and we still got bitten. We have spent many holidays in other tropical locations in South East Asia as well as the Caribbean, Indian Ocean and Northern Queensland and we have never been bitten like this. And it wasn’t just us! Everyone was saying the same thing. I think the very hot and humid April weather may have had something to do with it. Even the Thais were complaining.

But overall if you want a quiet relaxing holiday then this is the place for you.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JimmyandHeather
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I arrived in Cape Panwa from Khao Lak my first impression of the hotel was overall that it was a good choice. Check in was swift and my request for a room in F block had been met. The rooms are as the website and i had a nice seaview overlooking Cape Panwa beach it was also spotless. There was a daybed on the balcony which i thought took up too much room as it was a double one and i thought perhaps a small table and chairs would have been better.
The hotel is based at the top of a steep hill and access to the village is via a shuttle bus that ran every 10 minutes. The beach was quite small to what i am used to but very attractive and picturesque with plenty of sun loungers for everybody and it also had a nice grass area for guests who do not like to be on the sand and plenty of shade and sun parasols.Pool and beach towells were also provided. Food at the beach bar down by the beach was very good and of a high standard the marinated chicken that i did not try looked good and i wished that i had ordered that but my order of a club sandwich had allready been placed.
The pools were very nice but i was not keen on the layout of the sunbeds as they were fixed and not moveable you were too close to the next person i usually went on the beach. There was only about 9 sunbeds that could be moved around the wooden decking by the pool and these had no shade or parasols.
The restaurants in the hotel i thought were superb especially The Top of The Reef the Beef Wellington was to die for. I also tried one of the Buffet nights which was very good and had a wide choice of food but i prefered the Top of The Reef so ate in here quite a bit..The Otters Bar most nights for happy hour was allways busy which was from 18.30hrs to 19.30hrs fitted in nicely for dining.
Breakfast in the mornings you had a wide choice with plenty to choose from and there was allways plenty of tables free.I found all the staff to be welcoming and Tim who deals with customer services was very helpfull. I can now understand having been why so many people return.
The hotel is out of the way in a quiet location but there is a little gem of a place called The Sunset Bar in the Village. This is the place to come as it has a great atmosphere and Russell and Wasana will make you most welcome and of course their dog Nanaa who is so cute and goes boogie boarding at Bnana Beach. Instead of going through the hotel i arranged through Russell for a boat trip to Coral Island Banana Beach with a friend of theirs called Abdul who was very good and a great snorkeling buddy who will show you the wonders of the reef. It was a very good reef here easily reached from the beach.One of the highlights is the group trip with the staff and Wasana and of course Nanaa who goes crazy on the beach and loves to boogie board on the sea.Abdul also has a taxi and is most willing to take people on day trips either on his boat or taxi and will taxi people in the evening to restaurants ect. Russell has a wealth of knowledge and will give you tips on the best eating places locally like the Beach Bar in the next bay a lovely place to watch the sunset and places in Phuket Town.The girls in the bar who will serve you Tekky and Narlee were lovely and i had a fantastic time with them on Banana Beach. I travel alone and Russell made sure every night that i had a lift back up the hill to the hotel they were all very special people.Russell also does a great nightcap a B52 if you have never had one try it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
8  Thank jenson
Reviewed 7 April 2009

My partner and I stayed here for a week and also got married at this hotel. We had a fantastic time and this was due to the wonderful staff, excellent and idylic location. When I arrived I had severe mossie bites on my feet which had swelled and Tim the manager advised me to go to the hospital and made sure I got a cab for wait and return. They planned our wedding really well so we had no stress or worries and everything was organised. We had full input and made decisions together. Pavinee was a great bridesmaid on the day and all the staff at the Cape spa made me feel special. Tim is very helpful and resourceful and any time we went to him he was always willing to help.

With regard to the hotel. We stayed in a standard room for one night, this was more than adequate although I did think the bathroom was a bit small. We were upgraded to a jacuzzi suite and this was much better obviously and bigger. The villa pools look nice although the pools are not secluded so not much privacy. The gardens and beach are spotless. The hotel pools are big and clean. There is a very relaxed atmosphere and it is a very quiet location, which was ideal for our wedding/honeymoon, there is no nightlife as such, if you get the shuttle bus down to the village eat at Sawasdee as food is good and cheap. Sunset Bar owned by Russle is definitely worth a look as Russel is a good host. But that is about it for the village. We went to Patong on the shuttle bus for one night but I hated it as it was like Tenerife very crowded and a strip of bars and markets etc.

My partner got a suit made at the Family Tree shop at the bottom of the hill, he did an excellent copy of a suit he brought with him and also threw in 2 shirts for £95, this was a bargain and very good quality so definitely give that shop a try if you want a good tailor.

My only complaint with this hotel is it is very expensive to eat here. Breakfast was included with our stay and I got bored of the breakfast as it is standard stuff, i.e. croissants, bread, scrambled eggs, etc, this is normal for Thailand though as it was exactly the same when we stayed in Bangkok. There are various restaurants but they are very expensive to eat in (compared to local prices outside hotel) and they put VAT and a 10% service charge on everything you order even if it is coke and they don't take cash so everything is charged to your room at the end of your stay. We had a sandwich with a few chips and a coke at the beach hut and this worked out to £17 (exchange rate being rubbish at the moment doesn't help) but I could eat lunch in a London pub and pay less. Having said that the food in the restaurants is very good, Cape Panwa House on the beach was really tasty. If I was stayin here for 2 weeks I probably would not eat in every night as it would be too expensive. I think the hotel needs to look at their prices for next year especially in the current climate.

We did the Phi Phi Island tour with the operator on the hill, the boat was very overcrowded so it did spoil your enjoyment of the day, Phi Phi Island is a tourist trap as well as all the boats arrive at the same time so was a little dissapointed, however it was a good day out as they let you do snorkelling off one of the islands and the lunch supplied was a good standard, we were glad of this trip as it broke up the holiday and was about £70 cheaper than booking thru the hotel.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for couples who want a very relaxing holiday in a beautiful location and with friendly guests and wonderful staff.

3  Thank tadgh1975
Reviewed 7 April 2009

This was our second visit to the Cape Panwa hotel, this truly is a great hotel.
From the moment we arrived to the time we left, it was bliss.
Avoid this hotel if you want the party life that Patong offers this is only for you if you want to be away from it all, there are NO hawkers on the beach NO pushy time share people outside waiting for you.
If you do want a insight in to patong life there is a nightly bus that will take you to the party town for a 3 hour visit ( long enough, Fun, but you wouldnt want to stay there)
OK back to the hotel..
The beach is wonderful, there has been complaints about it on this site, its a beach things get washed up on it!! for the best views get a snorkel and look at the reef below.
The pool is a good size and remember there is a second pool nearer the beach.
Food is of a good standard but I would say de-spiced for our European taste but still very good.
For breakfast there is choice from all over the world, Thai, English, European and Japanese just a few I tried.
The Otter Bar is my favourite place in the hotel, 6.30 for Happy hour very very relaxing after a hard day doing nothing.
I did go in to the Light house this visit ( I was put off by the traditional pub tag)
and to my suprise had a great time, Happy hour 9.30.
What else can I say that has not been said on this site.
ONLY COME TO THIS HOTEL IF YOU WANT TO RELAX !!!
Dont come if you want party nights, bars, discos or kids clubs.
Do come if you want to find a hotel that lets you hide away from it all and relax, but offers you those little escapes just to make sure the rest of the world is still there....
On a last note Tim if your reading this, you and your staff are wonderfull and a credit to the hotel.
I have already contacted my travel agent to book for next year!!
Counting down the days till I return.........

1  Thank Neil P
Reviewed 5 April 2009

Stayed at the Cape Panwa for 10 nights following 3 nights in Bangkok. Hotel is in a lovely spot with beautiful gardens and private beach. Very quiet location (as reported in previous reviews) and very relaxing. The beach is truly beautiful and there are plenty of sunbeds available either on the beach or by the main pool.

Rooms were adequate and have lovely views but the bathroom in our room could use an update but was clean. Bed really comfy.

Air Conditioning needed at night as it was really hot but was a little on the noisy side. All staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. We did the trip to Coral Island on the hotel's boat and was a great day out - would highly recommend it.

We booked dinner on the last night at the Panwa House restaurant and was a really nice end to the holiday. Food was really nice, waiter/waitresses really professional and the setting is magical.

All in all a fantastic time and would not hesitate to recommend it as a truly relaxing holiday in a beautiful location with friendly helpful staff.

ps take plenty of mosquito repellent!!

2  Thank JamNHoney
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
#2 of 9 in Karon Beach

Been to Cape Panwa Hotel? Share your experiences!