“A great week”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Cape Panwa
London, United Kingdom
“A great week”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This hotel is the most excellent value for money partly because it allows guests to use the facilities at the Cape Panwa resort hotel. On arrival, we were upgraded to a suite which had a wonderful view across the bay. We were able to book for the Loy Krathong ceremony at Cape Panwa Resort and that was a marvelous evening. One afternoon we were amused (it was raining a bit) to watch a kitten slide down on its back the wrinkly metal roof over the lobby to a flat roof where the metal roof terminated, climb back up and do it again. I've never seen that before.
Despite the unseasonal very wet weather we had a great time and met a lot of other guests with whom we got on very well. Like us these folk said it was such excellent value with being able to use the Cape Panwa facilities.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Kantary Bay, Phuket, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
The Kantary Bay, Phuket, thanks you for your positive feedback and mention of a happy kitten enjoying itself in the rain. We look forward to seeing and serving you again soon for another memorable stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Darwen, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We recently stayed at Kantary Bay for 9 nights for our honeymoon and we were blown away by every aspect of our stay...simply perfect!

Arrival

The very warmest of warm arrivals. We arrived at a beautiful looking reception to a huge smile and a "sawadee ka" from our lovely hosts. The staff at KB were amazing throughout and so friendly, it really was contagious!
As it was our honeymoon we were very kindly upgraded to beautiful sea view studio and given a lovely cake!

The Room

The sea view from the room was one of the most stunning views I have ever seen. We had a lovely balcony where I could sit and watch the sunset over Chalong Bay with a can of Chang every evening while the wife got ready...perfect.
We had a nice comfortable bed, a small lounge area and a small kitchen that had a good size fridge freezer and a washing machine, which was handy!
The air conditioning was excellent and easily operated...perhaps a little too noisy if you're a light sleeper...
The room was perfectly turned over every morning, so efficiently I never saw a maid in my room and sometimes I had only nipped to the shop!

Facilities

2 lovely pools, especially the roof top pool! Watching the sunset from the roof top pool is a moment that will stay with me for the rest of my life!
There was also a well equipped gym, although I didn't use it because I was on holiday...I'm not that keen!!
That's about it for facilities at KB, however, the real gem of this place is having the use of all the facilities at its sister hotel, the 5 star Cape Panwa!

Cape Panwa

As you will have use of all their facilities I thought I would include a section.
Cape Panwa has a stunning private beach...no sales people hasselling you, not too busy and very clean, a really lovely spot if you're in to beaches.
If you're more of a pool person you have several to pick from at Cape Panwa, all beautiful and well maintained. I even had a quick go at scuba diving in their main pool for free!
Cape Panwa is a stunning hotel but I wouldn't stay there, not when I can stay at Kantary Bay for a fraction of the cost and still have use of all the facilities.

Location

If you're looking for all night parties, lady boys and jet skis then this isn't the place for you! Yes Kantary Bay is a long way from the lively parts of the island but that's why we picked it! I am a grumpy young man and the general public irritate me somewhat..."Brits Abroad" are my idea of hell, thankfully they are all in Patong.
If you want peace and tranquility, this your place. Should you want to ruin it and go to Patong, the hotel runs a shuttle bus every night.

There are several very good restaurants in the immediate area. I didn't eat at the hotel because these were easily good enough and very very good value for money. I also didn't go all the way to Thailand to eat Italian food!!
I recommend you try all the restaurants in the area but my particular favorites were The Seabreeze, on the road up to Cape Panwa, Sawadee, right outside the hotel, and a restaurant opposite the naval command, I don't know what it was called but the oysters were incredible!

Bars

KB had a bar that had happy hour 18.30 to 19.30 and Cape Panwa has a bar with happy hour from 21.30 to 22.30, both offer 2 for 1 drinks at these times, so a good time to sample the cocktail menu! For a later drink go to the Sunset Bar at the bottom of the hill, very friendly place and open till about 1am.

I absolutely loved this place. Normally I am the the kind of traveller that doesn't like to return to places, there's always somewhere else on my bucket list. With Kantary Bay I may have found the place that brings me back! I hope so anyway...

10 Thank David D
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Kantary Bay, Phuket, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
The Kantary Bay, Phuket, appreciates your sharing your observations with us and our readers after your honeymoon stay with us for 9 nights. We are pleased to learn we exceeded your expectations and your informative review including mention of the free use of the facilities of our sister hotel, the Cape Panwa Hotel, will be helpful to our readers. The appreciation of our warm, attentive, and helpful staff has been on passed to them. We hope to welcome your back again soon for another enjoyable and pleasant stay with us. Thank you for your positive endorsement.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My partner Luke has already written a review, but I couldn't go without putting my two cents in as I was the one responsible for us choosing Kantary Bay Hotel Cape Panwa.
I researched accommodation in Phuket extensively and Kantary Bay had the best reviews for its price bracket, so we went ahead and booked. We had never visited Thailand or Asia (apart from some brief stopovers) so had no idea what to expect.
As soon as we arrived, I felt relaxed. The hotel is modest looking but there's something about it that makes it feel like a resort. We were instantly impressed and it only got better from there. The rooms have a really interesting layout and it made it feel so livable over the 9 nights we were there. I cannot fault the level of cleanliness either.
It's great having access to Cape Panwa Hotel which itself is stunning. Their pool is really lovely, the staff are adorable and the cocktails aren't bad either! That being said, the rooftop pool at Kantary Bay still trumps Cape Panwa. The view is just spectacular.
Other particulars are the free high speed internet, lovely breakfast every morning, great hotel restaurants, mini mart just downstairs and easy distance to Patong. We did a couple of nights in Patong during our stay but found we were always relieved to come 'home' to Cape Panwa every time.
I am so glad we chose to go there and will jump at the chance to go back.
Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a wall for a view which would be disappointing I'm sure! Our room was 237 - view...
1 Thank LorrenVass
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Kantary Bay, Phuket, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
The Kantary Bay, Phuket, appreciates your sharing your two cents say with us and our readers after your 9 nights with us. The descriptive and informative review should be helpful to others thinking of staying with us. Thank you for highly recommending a stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here for 10 days during an independent tour of Thailand.
I am really struggling with what to write about this hotel and the facilities. There were good and bad points, but I think the bad could be addressed, which is why I give it four out of five.
On the good side, the staff were as friendly as they are hyped to be on here - it has to be seen to be believed! We had a one bedroom apartment which was very large, extremely clean, with a comfortable bed and small kitchen facilities (including a washing machine on the balcony!) The provision of towels and sunbeds at the pools and beach was generous (always enough to go around) and the minibus service to Cape Panwa was excellent. We also went on the 500 bht pp snorkelling trip to Coral Island with Cape Panwa and it was great, well worth the money (it includes transport there and back - four hours or so on the beach - go to the end with the rocks for snorkelling - and then round the corner for a half an hour stop of some of the best snorkelling I've ever seen. There were tropical fish all around us. Lunch is not included and be careful if they invite you to the buffet - we looked before we sat down and most of it had gone so we walked down the beach to another resto).
The breakfast was also pretty good with an omlette / scrambled / fried eggs stand, a stand for congee (chicken, pork or fish) and noodles, then four different types of sausage, two types of bacon, french toast, beans, tomatoes, hash browns, fried rice, stir fried veg, a toast maker with different types of bread, croissants, pastries and muffins, yoghurt, salad items, cheese and cold meats, cereal, and fruit salads.
The cafe Kantary was good, with some quite reasonable prices. In addition, the Seafood restaurant was excellent (with great service from Panya) - try the red curry sauce on the prawns... it was incredible. They also seem to specialise in crab which makes sense given you can see large fresh crabs just hanging out in the sea if you look over the sea wall and you can spot small ones on Cape Panwa's beach.
If you want to go to Phuket town take the Aquarium bus there for 30 bht, as the taxi mafia is in strong operation in this area. The bus goes every hour. While in Phuket town you can book trips far cheaper than at the hotel and the people around it. If you go to the corner of Ratsada road and the main road (Phuket road, I think) there are a couple of travel agents doing very cheap tours.
There are some problems. Firstly, there is a large amount of rubbish in the sea and on the beach at Cape Panwa. This is obviously not the hotel's fault - I think it is the tides and the position of the bay - unfortunately everything ends up there. The staff do clean up some of it (seven or eight bags per day), in the heat. Full credit to them; they work very hard. However, the beach was not clean when they finished at around 2pm each day, and neither sadly was the sea. I saw lots of plastic bags, pens, take away trays and most alarmingly, a large amount of medicine bottles and tubes. I would not swim in the water there. I feel strongly that this hotel is outstanding in all other respects, but this really lets it down. Given the Panwa beach is a strong advertising point for Kantary Bay, I think this issue needs to be addressed.
The other difficulty we had was when we arrived we were asked for a credit card. I queried and was told that it was for a guarantee. The staff then charged my card for the full amount of the stay! We were then told it was policy as it was high season. Throughout the rest of our stay in Thailand (and wherever we have been, all around the world), we pay on departure, with a credit card swipe as a guarantee when we arrive. We were very unhappy - it was 2am in the morning, we had not seen the room, and they had not told me they were going to do that.

I would return to Kantary Bay and Cape Panwa if we understood the payment policy, and if we knew the beach would be cleaner.

Room Tip: We were in room 452 which was a one bedroom studio with a sea view. It was very quite because there...
2 Thank SmallExplorer
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Kantary Bay, Phuket, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
The Kantary Bay, Phuket, thanks you for sharing your views with us after your recent 10 day stay and has brought your concerns to the attention of our team to be addressed. The descriptive and informative feedback of the ambiance, facilities, and service available should be useful to other readers planning a stay in Phuket. The beach strand line is routinely cleared of marine debris after each tide recedes by a dedicated team of beach cleaners. The policy on credit card payment is noted on our website. Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing and serving you again soon on a return stay with us.
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

I can't recommend this hotel enough! We stayed here for a week on our way through to Sydney from the UK. The standard of service from the moment we arrived was superb and my two boys (9 and 6) absolutely loved the hotel and all the pools. The ladies behind reception could not have made us more to welcome. THANK YOU

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Nick A
The Kantary Bay, Phuket, is pleased to learn that we met and exceeded your expectations and looks forward to welcoming you back again soon. Your appreciation of our attentive, friendly, and helpful staff, by department, has been brought to their attention. Thank you for your positive endorsement.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 9 days and it really did live up to the reviews. The hotel is in a beautiful quiet location, but there is plenty to do. Also we went to Patong twice it's about 30 mins away. The rooms are clean and very comfortable, we had breakfast every morning which is really good. The staff are excellent very friendly people. We will stay there next time for sure. - Luke & Lorren

• Stayed November 2013
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Kantary Bay, Phuket, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
The Kantary Bay, Phuket, is pleased to have your positive feedback and looks forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you.
Cornwall
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Stayed here for two weeks in early November, hotel pretty much as everyone describes. Staff excellent, breakfast good, studio rooms very comfortable and clean. When we stayed last year there was a bar in front reception called the clock house which was great for a light lunch or early evening drinks. This year it is shut not being refurbished but just has the shutters down and looks like it is being used for storage, all the tables and chairs are gone and it looks really bad as it is right next to the hotels gift shops. It looks really bad like the hotel is in terminal decline or something as it is one of the first thing you see when you arrive. It also leaves you with little choice but leaving the hotel at lunchtime, not a massive problem as there are other options outside the hotel but when your chilling next to the pool you sometimes don't want to get dressed just to grab a snack at lunchtime.

The hotel promotional tv channel scrolls through the facilities at this hotel and the Cape Panwa and states attentive relaxed service at both of the pools but there is NO service at all at either pool which was ok when the clock house was open but not so good now.

All in all a very enjoyable second stay in a very clean and comfortable hotel in a nice quiet location but just not as good as the first time, it couldn't afford to lose anymore facilities but it does offer excellent value for money.

Room Tip: sea view and on a higher floor
3 Thank stayrich
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Kantary Bay, Phuket, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
The Kantary Bay, Phuket, thanks you for sharing your review with us and our readers after your recent stay. The lack of service at the pools has been shared with our team. The Clock House was closed earlier this year but there are still 10 restaurants and bars to select from at the Kantary Bay and our sister property Cape Panwa Hotel. Your soonest return is looked forward to. Thank you for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Panwa
Amatara Wellness Resort
#3 of 13 in Cape Panwa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Sri Panwa Phuket Luxury Pool Villa Hotel

Been to Kantary Bay, Phuket? Share your experiences!