“Long live the Mocajo!”

Dining options: Reservations
Genoa, Italy
“Long live the Mocajo!”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

What a surprise! After a lovely day spent between medieval villages and the stunning nature, we arrived at the restaurant Mocajo. We went on the recommendation of friends and so we were prepared to a good place. After the warm welcome, the real sorpesa began with the reading of the menu where we found a number of highly original dishes. Vegetables, pasta dishes and meat and game presented with suggestive titles. Another surprise was the lightness of the dishes even the most elaborate. A rare balance of flavors. Do I really have to congratulate the cook! A well-stocked wine list, with great Tuscans. In the end also a great value for money. It is not hard to eat well in Tuscany, but is rare at these levels. Long live the Mocajo!

• Visited April 2013

Camerano Casasco
“Most Definitely Worth a Detour!”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

One of the sad facts in recent years is the decline of good quality, value-for-money restaurants in Tuscany. A few, like Mocajo, still exist but generally they are remote from the tourist honeypots. Guardistallo is not an obvious tourist destination - it is 10km east of Cecina and the Via Aurelia running to Rome, and 30 km southwest of Volterra. The ristorante is unpromisingly situated on the main road beside an old industrial complex BUT, once inside, the ambiance of the ristorante and the warm welcome from the very professional staff quashes any possible rising apprehension.
Better still are the menus and the wine list! Armed with two very pleasant glasses of spumante we decided not to go for the interesting Tasting Menu (TM) attractively priced at 45 euros but go à la carte (my husband is a Florentine and he could not resist the tripe on the à la carte menu). That being said we had two of the dishes featured on the TM and, price wise, (excluding a dolce) eating à la carte was marginally cheaper than the TM. My antipasto was very pleasant, my husband’s tripe superb, the secondo of lamb joyous and the primo of saffron risotto with sage and chicken livers we will attempt to replicate at home. The piece de resistance though, was the wine. The wine list was marginally intimidating (some great vintages) so we asked for something local and red, and specified a price. We ended up having the pleasure of enjoying a stunning bottle from the Russo cantina in nearby Suvereto (a Barbicone) – we were sufficiently impressed to make a further detour after lunch to buy 12 bottles direct from the supplier. (Antonio and Michele Russo are talented young viticulturists: their reds are joyously complex). Based on what we were charged by the cantina, Mocajo operates a times-two mark up on its wine – most acceptable.
I am severely lactose intolerant and thus appreciated being offered different bread and a different (very tasty) food aperitif to my husband. Throughout the meal the kitchen was mindful of my intolerance both re the antipasto and the contorni I was offered – very professional. The final little attention to detail was the small Campari granita offered prior to coffee. Additionally, our dog (a GSD and a veteran of good trattorie and restaurants) was made most welcome.
The bill was 110 euros for a three course meal for two persons including two glasses of fine spumante at 6 euros, a bottle of wine from the Russo cantina at 23 euros, water and coffee.
We look forward to returning in September when again travel south and have circled the location for future travels – it is a very convenient stopping point when travelling on the Via Aurelia. Do visit!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Barbara M
brussels
“one of the best typical restaurants of Tuscany !”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I love Tuscany - I even lived there for 5 years - but I find the Tuscan cuisine much less interesting than what most guides and journalists will tell you, it's very often oldfashioned and too oily. Laura (kitchen) and her brother Fabrizio are second generation in this former pasta manufacture. The cuisine is radically Tuscan, but with a personal and slightly modern twist. I don't know any better "real" Tuscan meat restaurant. The winelist is quite good too, I only miss some old Sangiovese-vintages...

• Visited November 2011