Jalsa Beach Hotel and Spa
US$266
US$260
Constance Prince Maurice(Pointe de Flacq)
US$916
US$890
US$682
US$665
US$704
US$475
Long Beach Mauritius(Belle Mare)
US$426
Priceline
Radisson Blu Azuri Resort & Spa, Mauritius(Roches Noire)(Great Value!)
US$342
Solana Beach(Belle Mare)
HotelQuickly
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewspool barindian foodpool sideboat houseour honeymoonrestaurant staffcandle light dinnerrelaxing holidayprivate beachscuba divingsea facing roommr sanjaybasic amenitiesfour star hotelcurriesbreakfast and dinnerdeluxe room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I would say this is a great place to enjoy a relaxing honeymoon.
We loved the food and the beach.
The fragrance in the rooms is awesome and creates a wonderful ambience for couples.
A lifetime experience.
Would definitely be a returning guest to cherish our memories in future

• Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank k7591
Richard L, Manager at Jalsa Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear K7591,

Firstly, I apologise for this very late response to your review. Regrettably I suffered a serious injury in December 2014 which led to me only updating your review now. Saying THANK YOU for your wonderful feedback and positive review is most certainly due. Your review was also read by all members of the Team who much appreciated your kind words.

We can but only hope to welcome you back to Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Feel sad that I put my honeymoon at risk by staying at Jalsa hotel in Mauritius. The location & service is a big disappointment, the only exception being reasonably good food !

I paid for a double deluxe room but the service I have received over 6 nights of my stay there was terrible & led to some serious frustration. The hotel staff is not at all considerate, information is not available at hand, AC cooling in the room is TERRIBLY low (had to turn ON the standing fan to get some air) which leads to an overall frustrating experience.

They arranged an exclusive dinner date but sadly the food on that specific date was more than poor. The arrangement was expected to be at the beach side since the hotel has its own beach, but was provided on a terrace which was a big disappointment again.

Overall, this hotel is a big NO NO in my opinion !! Wouldn't dare to travel there again !

Room Tip: If you HAVE to visit this place, please prefer booking a STANDARD room on the ground floor. Among st the available options, this is the safest that one can look forward to !
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Hrishikesh K

Dear Hrishikesh K,

Firstly, I apologise for this very late response to your review. Regrettably I suffered a serious injury last year which led to me updating all reviews received only now. Your feedback was much appreciated and read by all the management members. It is all ‘good and well’ to receive good reviews but it is reviews like yours which we learn from. It helps us to identify areas where improvement is required. Many elements of the product have been changed since your visit and we thank you for your input to achieve that.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Recently I and my wife had Mauritius honeymoon tour and we were given 7 days accommodation at Jalsa Beach Resort. I am going to review this resort based on it's location and different services as mentioned below. I had some good experience as well as some bad experience which I am going to mention below. Future travellers may consider below points before making their reservations. My honest opinion is that, few people may like and few will find it OK like me. So, lets review Jalsa Beach Resort in different categories, with plus and minus points and with rating points 1 to 5 (1 - Poor, 2 - Below average, 3 - OK, 4 - Good, 5 - Very Good)

I) Location:
- Jalsa Beach Resort is situated in North-East cost of Mauritius. It's a lovely location on sea beach. If you get sea facing room, then from your balcony you can have lovely view of blue sea water. But keep in to mind that, sea water is quite and you will not see tidal waves hitting the shore. There is a good arrangement for sitting at sea shore for resort people to have a view of sea. As per me, this place is perfect for the couple who want some isolation and who like quite and remote place.
- The only negative is that resort is situated at the remote place and outside resort you will not find anything. (Don't worry there is enough security in the resort! :)) Because of this, you will be totally on the mercy of your travelling agent and hotel arrangements for your travel plan. Though I found that travel booking through travelling agent is not that bad and rates are equally competitive. But, if someone is planning to do cost effective travel arrangements at his/her own and he/she is new to Mauritius without any contact then it might be the issue. So take care of that.

- Overall for location I can give it 4 stars. I am not giving 5 stars as I like beaches having tidal waves hitting the shore and I personally don't prefer remote places for stay. Otherwise location is absolutely beautiful.

II) Services And Activities:
- There are various paid and free services available. Resort beach activities like paddle boating is free. There is free access to swimming pool and Gym.
- There is spa facility services but, it is not free.
- Two drinking water bottles are complementary but, they are small bottles and not good enough for couples for a day. Purchasing water from resort is expensive compare to purchase it from local shop. Since, resort location is far, you will have to depend on your travel plan to go to local shop or mall to purchase drinking water.
- Resort staff and reception is good and cooperative.
- Free wifi is available only are reception area. Internet speed may or may not good enough every time for VOIP calls. There is one public computer available at reception for common access.
- Resort management often arrange pool parties, dance parties, dinner along with musician playing music, sega dance etc. So that makes atmosphere live in the evening.

- Overall for Services and Activities I can give 5 stars as per my stay experience.

III) Resort accommodation and rooms:
- Resort rooms are quite good, specious and clean. I had a stay in standard deluxe room which was quite good except one hick up of having problem with door lock which was not fixed even I was promised to get fixed.
- Each resort room have safe lock to keep personal belongings. Wardrobes are quite big. There is decent bathroom and refresh room. Room also have refrigerator, TV, writing table etc..
- Each room has land line phone to make calls to reception and other rooms' extensions. People can also make local and international calls but it is charged heavily and it is advisable to purchase local sim card to make local calls if you need to make.

- Overall for Accommodation and rooms I can definitely give 4 stars.

IV) Resort Restaurant and Restaurant staff:
- Now this is the category of service where I had the most disappointment. Lets take all my experience points one by one.
- Lets take the food quality. I am hard core vegetarian and I found restaurant food absolutely horrible for the most of my stay. Let it be breakfast or dinner.Except few days, food quality was below average only. Even I can get better veg food at Indian streets. Even I saw non-veg people also complaining about food. Few times even I found that food is not properly cooked(Potatoes are hard so as rice and bread. Sometimes deserts did not test sweet at all! :(). Test was also not that good. So I was absolutely disappointed with veg food quality.
- Restaurant staff and services are absolutely pathetic throughout my 7 days of stay. I saw Indians and rest of the world people treated differently. Restaurant staff was every time after the white people only and was treating every white people individually while Indians were given always second priority and couple of times totally ignored. Let me explain some of my bad experience here...
-> My wife asked for salt and pepper and it never came
-> Every time I had to ask to light candle at my dinner table while for white people it was happening without being asked
-> For morning breakfast, I had to ask for tea three - four times to get while it was not the case of white people, they were getting immediately.
-> For last day dinner, I was asked to choose menu. I had selected Tomato soup but, it was never served.

- Overall for Restaurant service and staff it was one star only. It was absolutely pathetic.

Final Conclusion:
- Recommended for Europeans white people.
- Recommended for Indians who are non-vegetarians and restaurants service don't matter to them.
- Not recommended for Indians who are hard core vegetarians and want quality restaurant service and food.

- For me overall rating is 2 star, it was below expectation place to stay for me as I got disappointed in terms of value for money. Had it been better restaurant service and food, I could have given 4 star.

Room Tip: Select sea facing room to have better view from balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GauravDave

Dear GauravDave,

Firstly, I apologies for this very late response to your review. Regrettably I suffered a serious injury last year which led to me updating all reviews received only now. Your feedback was written in great detail and we much appreciated that. It is all ‘good and well’ to receive good reviews but it is reviews like yours which we learn from. Many elements of the product have been changed since your visit and we thank you for your input to achieve that.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Having returned back from a 12 night stay we miss this place already. The hotel is small but beautifully located and well managed. We have no complaints at all about the room location pool food drinks package and above all the staff were amazing. We are planning our next trip back. The boat house gets a special mention as we did a fabulous speedboat trip from there so thanks again for that it was an awesome day.

Also we met some special friends from our trip you know who you are and would recommend Jalsa without reservation.

Well done to the head gardener who is looking after our dear friends Andrex and Rusty please take care of our four legged friends thank you for your kindness .

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank davidleeNewcastle
Richard L, Manager at Jalsa Beach Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear DavidLeeNewcastle,

On behalf of the Team at Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa I thank you for your positive feedback and wonderful review. Be assured that your review has been shared with all members of the Team!

One cannot help to notice that you are an experienced contributor to Tripadvisor with 17 hotel reviews. For this reason a ‘5/5 Awesome’ serves as a great compliment to the Team. A Team dedicated to providing personalised service through which we attend to the individual needs of our guests.

We thank you for recommending the hotel to potential travellers and for having allowed Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa to be a part of a memorable holiday experience.

We send you our best wishes for a wonderful close to 2013.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Just returned totally chilled from a marvellous holiday at this hotel. Celebrating our 25th anniversary so it had to be special. The hotel was quiet, with modest entertainment every other evening, the hotel is at the edge of the lagoon with its own small private beach. The water varies around 8 feet between high and low tides, and the lagoon is very shallow and clear. Lovely grounds, well tended. Free kayaking and pedaloes. Paid for a trip on the speedboat to go snorkelling, fabulous. Car hire good too. They drive on the left and the sockets are British 3-pin.
We went all-inclusive, and chef Bachu and team did a great job of catering to various nationalities for the buffet meals. Pancakes were served around 4pm in case you couldn't wait! The table staff were prompt and courteous. Manager Richard arranged a "meet the staff and guests" each week before dinner, with cocktails and nibbles - excellent idea. We had a special dinner on my birthday - prawns the size of my hand, at a table for two on the beach. With a bottle of wine, it cost around £40 per head - bargain. We were in Room 311, a deluxe room with sea view, and balcony overlooking both the pool and lagoon - fantastic views with the mountains in the distance. On the opposite side of the lagoon is the very expensive Prince Maurice hotel, and Princess Caroline has a house there too, but we had a better view than they do! There is free wi-fi around the pool (I got it at the edge of the room and the balcony) and in the air-conditioned reception. There is a gym and spa but we didn't use those.
On arrival we were greeted with cool towels and a cocktail, most welcome after the long flight. We arrived on 18 Nov 2013 and left on Dec 2nd. The weather was great, very hot around 30 degrees, you need factor 30 at least.We had a couple of torrential rainstorms although they didn't last long. The pool is lovely, warm like the sea, and often it was empty as people went out on trips for the day. You can swim up to the bar for a drink - they make a mean mocktail if you want. You get to use the beach towels, which you can change each day as needed. All the staff are lovely, very helpful, often anticipating your needs.
If you want a relaxing, do as much or as little as you want holiday, then go here. If you want loud music, entertainment and shops, go to the north west of the island instead.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a deluxe seaview room. The top floor (there are three floors) has good views. Rooms 316 and 319 are executive rooms. Rooms 310 to 319 are all good. Corresponding rooms on ground and first floor will also be good. Go all-inclusive, it's great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sally O

Dear Sally O,

‘Best holiday ever’…a most wonderful opening line to any review. It is music to the ears of the entire Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa Team. We thank you for having chosen Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa as your holiday destination and for writing such a positive and detailed review.

I have had the privilege to meet you on several occasions during your visit and have since received your e-mail upon your return home. Much has been said and I will not repeat the same here.

The Team appreciates all the compliments and we are ecstatic that you have enjoyed all the services and facilities which the hotel has on offer. Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa does indeed offer a peaceful and tranquil holiday experience. We do our best to attend to the individual needs of our guests, provide a beautiful hotel and grounds…the rest we leave up to ‘mother nature’.

Most importantly we again congratulate you on your 25th anniversary and wish you a wonderful close to 2013. We hope to welcome you back again soon.