“Beautiful and relaxing”

Jalsa Beach Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Poste Lafayette
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 weeks and I would happily of stayed for longer. We had a lovely room with a beautiful view of the lagoon and gardens (224) which if we went again I would ask for, it was cleaned daily with towel changes by lovely friendly staff.
Check in was quick and easy, grounds are clean and well looked after, beautiful in fact, but the biggest appeal to this place are the staff, they are so attentive they really do make you feel spoiled. We had read on TA before going that the chef will make you different food from the buffet and he did, with great enthusiasm. We love curry's, which were available at every meal, but after talking to him he made us several different kinds along with samosas etc, even making us some traditional Mauritiun food, which was delicious, we can't thank him and the staff at the restaurant and the bar enough for treating us all so well, they are a credit to the hotel. I have read some reviews complaining about the food and lack of vegetarian meals, that's all I can say is they must of stayed somewhere other than us, there is a huge choice of vegetarian food, it's the first time I have tried vegetarian curry's and they were lovely. One point I would change though is the toaster at breakfast, too small and too slow, by the time your bread was toasted it was like a brick!
Once we got used to the Muaritian way of life, ask for 2 things, you might get 3, ask for something and you might get it now or In 10 minutes, we relaxed and became completely chilled out.
This place is quite small which leads to quite an intimate and friendly atmosphere, leading to many conversations and shared drinks with other guests, which was lovely, a special hi to LIz, Mat, Alli and Chris, it was lovely to meet you, amongst others.
People talk about the lagoon being too shallow, but it is tidal and at certain times of the day it is very deep. We went on a few trips and saw a lot of the island, it is a very green and pretty country, but also a very poor country, I could talk a lot about this island, but you need to discover it for yourselves, you will enjoy it. We hired a car for a few days, but in hindsight we should of just hired a car and driver, especially during the 2 days we had wall to wall rain and wind, moving just a few miles west you notice a difference.
The only thing I would of changed about this hotel is to have more plugs and at least one by a mirror and the pool towels, which for the most part are small and threadbare, I'm glad we took some with us.
All in all we had a lovely stay, in a beautiful place, with fabulous people looking after us, and if we ever returned to Mauritius we would stay again.

Room Tip: Higher up and facing the lagoon.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Valleygirl8
There are newer reviews for Jalsa Beach Hotel and Spa

Reviewed 24 May 2014

As this was a surprise 40th birthday holiday I was so excited at coming to Mauritius.
We woke the next morning after we arrived and went to breakfast straight away we were disappointed with the lack of choice, lunch wasn't any better, nor was our evening meal and for the two weeks it got worse, for an all inclusive there wasn't much. Very poor
We did approach the management team and they tried there best to sort the food situation out but again it wasn't good enough....

The hotel and grounds were very clean, staff very very helpful,

The 10pm curfew for having a holiday all inclusive drink didn't go down well either,after that you have to pay for it and at £6.00 ( local spirits) A drink we didn't buy that many..
Entertainment wasn't any good if any at all !!!!

But if you want a quite hotel just to relax and not go out off the hotel to see Mauritius then this could be for you.
All in all we were very disappointed but this was just our experience !!!!!!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andy S
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I was surprised by my husband with a trip to Jalsa beach for our honeymoon. It was everything I expected. Clean, quiet and very welcoming.
The staff are so friendly, with fantastic sense of humours!
Nothing is too much trouble!
Food to suit all tastes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank carlene w
Reviewed 21 May 2014

After reading various reviews before booking and having traveled on my own for many years I was more than happy with the first impression. Dealing with a variety of food issues over the years was also a concern.
Hotel is clean and fresh, staff are extremely helpful and diet was fully taken care of. If buffet was unsuitable I was offered alternatives.
A variety of styles with multiple nationalities staying always produced a varied menu.
Views from hotel and beach are stunning and enhanced the relaxed atmosphere without taking away the hard work all the staff do.. No small children were about which only helped guests relax.
Book all inclusive and come out of season would be my recommendation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Mark S
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I booked this hotel through make my trip and i was told it is a 4* property,The property is beautiful and lining the gorgeous beaches, we stayed there for 7 days. I was out with family and had 2 rooms booked during may 2014 the rooms were spacious and clean. I have travelled around the world and stayed in many 4* properties and this was no where close to 4*, I would say may be in the border line of 3*. The day we arrived we were giving our rooms after a wait of 90 mins.The food is bad on all days no veg options at all, till date had never seen a buffet with only non-veg soup or rice but no daal, the chef asked me to eat the rice with lentil soup on 1 night. In the mornings breakfast starts at 7 n by 7.30 no muesli, no honey, no fritters, no faratas & no fruits or the the food would be burnt n not edible. Also the hotel has no amenities other than the pool. If u looking for a good 4* hotel then La Plantation would be a better option.

Room Tip: Corner suites are better
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shajid_Md
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel was advertised as a four star but it is most definitely not. It lacks the little touches that a four star hotel would provide and the level of service or quality of the hotel does not match the four stars that was advertised in the brochure.
On the whole, the staff are brilliant and cannot do enough to help, but some do come across as very inexperienced. The beach is very small but the vistas are pretty. This was our first experience of an all inclusive and I can honestly say that this has put me off doing it again. Some of the food was inedible and much of the buffet on offer in the evenings was heavily biased towards the indian guests. This would be fine occasionally but after a fortnight of eating there, we came to dread mealtimes.
I would say this hotel is ok but nothing special. If you aren't expecting a four star hotel, service and cuisine then you probably won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose a room with sea view on the top floors if possible.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ClaireSheffield_UK
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

i visited this jalsa beach on month of may with my hubby.hotel is so far from city.property is good but veg food is worst.no indian (not even close)test at all.if you ask for something else other then served in buffet, the staff will tell its extra charge for that.if you looking for good hotel then tamassa hotel and centara poste lafayte is good in food and property with more facility and comfortability then this

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Calodyne
The Ravenala Attitude
The Ravenala Attitude
#3 of 6 in Balaclava

Been to Jalsa Beach Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!