“charming little jewel”

La Maison D'ete Hotel
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Last July we have spent ten days in this beautiful island. La Maison D'Eté was strongly reccomended on this site and we have found it deserved every praise it got. The location is charming, away from the crowd, the rooms very nice and clean. We’ve particularly appreciated the service: Jean Claude and Marie-Michelle do everything to make you feel at home. Last but non least , their restaurant is really fine..

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lucysteel
There are newer reviews for La Maison D'ete Hotel

Reviewed 26 August 2010

From the initial booking enquiry to the day we departed from this wonderful finding it was an amazing experience from beginning to end.Marie-Michelle, Jean Claude and their delighful team were the most helpful, warm, polite hosts we could ever encounter.As a party of 6 with a 4 month old baby we were treated so well with every consideration having been taken into account.Nothing was too much problem from organizing transport,providing helpful hints to make our visit to this beautiful island more unique for us.We found the people of Mauritius most gracious and indeed we could all learn from their humility and manners.
The accommodation at La Maison De'te is beautiful,comfortable and with amazing attention to detail.It provides what we sought - a truly relaxing never to be forgotten holiday.This holiday was a gift to my friend from her loving family for a significant birthday and I was blessed to be included in the party.We were greeted on arrival as though we were a Royal Family (which ofcourse we were!!) Immediately the baby was being hugged and loved by Marie-Michelle and her family and this was a huge plus for us all.
The environment was so peaceful, relaxed and safe that we settled in immediately.We toured the island by taxi organised by Marie-Michelle and Ginger her daughter and were delighted to have the benefit of K the knowlegable and courteous taxi driver.We also sampled the local bus service to experience "life on the buses" and that allowed us to soak up the local culture.
The Auberge Restaurant provided the most beautifully presented and delicious food which we all heartily enjoyed.Breakfast was served on the terrace by "The guy from Brittany", Patrick who is a real gem and Jean - Claude. Each day we looked forward to this delightful start for the day before we all went our own way to sunbathe , snorkel, kayak in the lagoon or walk, explore the other lovely beaches which are all within easy walking distance. Tip ! the omelettes are a MUST ! We did eat out at restaurants in GrandBay which is a half hour taxi ride away and although lovely, dining at The Auberge was the ultimate.The lovely cocktails after dinner became " must try this one " along with a humerous game of charades or scrabble! The Final of the World Cup was an example with the result being a bonus -- !!
All in all I want to raise my now empty glass to Marie- Michelle, Jean-Claude,Ginger,Ishmael,Gerry and all the other kind, smiling, gracious staff of this unique hotel for the effort they made to make "The significant Birthday" a significant holiday that has made a lasting impression on us all.We all hope to return and wish La Maison De'te lasting success.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank delphiniumdream
Reviewed 9 August 2010

On our arrival at Lamaisond`ete we were met by Jean-claude,Marie-michelle and their staff,the welcome that we were given made us feel very special and that remained with us throughout our stay.Marie-michelle gave us a tour of their lovely hotel and surrounding area which we were amazed with.The attention to detail throughout was second to none. The staff were respectful and eager to help with any requests we had,organising trips,airport transfers,car hire and taxies.
The lagoon area was suitable for water sports,all the equipment,shoes for walking on the sand,mountain bikes with safety helmets,table tennis,darts etc are all provided free of charge.
The food in the restaurent was of exceptional quality,the presentation made it a joy to look at,photograph!,and then enjoy with a glass of nice wine in a relaxed environment
The friendliness and comfort provided by the owners and their staff was excellent at reasonable cost.We hope we can return!!.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank cathie45
Reviewed 1 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 3-4 nights. The first few days went quite well. Marie was welcoming when we arrived, so we thought that our choice was right after reading many good reviews on tripadvisor. Her husband’s service was ok, I never thought he was very helpful or wonderful.

The problem we had was with their laundary service. We have a Stokke stroller which cost us nearly 1000 pounds. My son made a big mess on the seating cover, so I asked Marie to wash it.

I also explained to her very clearly " please do not use tumble dryer…. I am not in rush, please do properly". I have washed it many times here, but never had problem. But Marie wanted to be helpful and wanted to return the item very quickly. When I got it back, it was torn a bit. It became shabby. I was somehow scared of her, so I asked her very politely what happened. As soon as I started to point out their mistake, she just shouted at me and never listened, just talked like " we never make any mistake and you are just insulting me." To me, anybody who owned the hotel, even a great hotel can make a mistake. As they were not bad, I did not want to ask her too much conpensation, but I started to be so angry after seeing her reaction. She also added " just tell me how much it costs and I will pay it". I did not have any idea how much it would be, so I could not tell her. When we check-out, they cut the airport pick-up fare which was about 35 pounds( if I remember correctly). Then, we moved to another hotel, as I planned from the beginning. When we were at the other hotel, they called us and asked us to pay the rental car cost which they forgot to charge. We paid straight away.

Once we got back our home, we found out that this seating is very expensive, it will be around 300 pounds. Then, we sent her long e-mails twice or three times. They just completely ignored my e-mails. I was really shocked after she insulted me so much.

Another problem of this hotel is location. This part of mauritius was really cloudy and it has lots of sea urchines and stones in their beach. I am somebody who loves swimming in the sea, so totally disappointed by their beach. Our second hotel was on the opposite side of mauritius, their beach was much better and sunnier there. Also a taxi driver we used said " this side of mauritius has not great weather". Also the guests who were staying next to us said that they were disappointed by their beach.

Another problem is that we stayed over Sunday. We knew that we can not eat there, but we felt hesitatant to ask anything, as I do not see so many people around.

However, they have great staff. Apart from one moody waiter, all of the other staff were very kind and helpful.

But I will give the worst rate for this hotel because I do not like the owner and I do not think what they did was right. If they just accepted their mistake from the begenning and did not insult me, I would not have asked them any money back. To me, the good hotel is that when they face the problem, they can deal well. I was very sad to see owners real face and our memory of mauritius became very sad.

p.s. room has no a/c, so it can be very hot during hot season.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
12  Thank churachura
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Maison d'ete is one of those hotels that you would struggle to say a bad word about. It's a small, charming, secluded resort, and the owners eptiomise how a hotel should be run.

We stayed at three different hotels during our trip to Mauritius - this was by far the best.

The couple that run the hotel are relaxed, superb hosts (thank you John-Claude & Marie-Michele) and the rooms are stunning (ask for one of the two upstairs rooms for added privacy - ours had a huge terrace with great views). The food at the restaurant is delicious too, which is lucky as there aren't many local alternatives.

The only negatives are the lack of air-conditioned rooms, but the east coast has a constant breeze, so that's not too much of an issue, and there's not a lot of restaurants or other entertainment nearby.

Overall, very highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Jean-Claude and Marie-Michele would do their damnest to make you feel at home here. This is definitely a place I´d love to return to, as it has everything an individual crowd-hating traveller might need for a perfect vacation, which is not necessarily beach-only. However, a few minor flaws sum up to one star down. First - over-zealous roommaids doing our laundry despite not being asked to and damaging some delicate items in the process. Second - the bathroom doors give only a very limited privacy on the toilet, both noise and smell-wise. Third - the location on the eastern coast make it exposed to winds, which may get unpleasantly strong in their peak season. Yet on the overall, this is definitely a place to go.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Martinzz
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Wow! What an amazing expereince!! Great people - Marie-Michelle, Jean-Claude, Jerry and the team are wonderful, helpful and friendly. Great food - big breakfast, great pizza, big and varied menu, great cocktails. Great venue/location - ocean view from the room, sounds of waves crashing, wild and untouristed beaches. Great facilitities - kayaks, bikes, snorkelling included. Access to massage, car hire etc if wanted. Really great value for food and accomodation in mauritius

It's a world away from the clinical big-hotel scene without sacrificing good quality food, peaceful sleep and access to some activities. Exactly what we were looking for :-)

We wanted an out of the way escape - no nightlife, few tourists and a real sense of mauritian life. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for something outside of postcard beaches and all-inclusive hotel packages.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Radisson Blu Poste Lafayette Resort & Spa, Mauritius
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to La Maison D'ete Hotel? Share your experiences!