Being not too impressed by the dirty Catania and unfriendly people there, I booked this hotel on the last day of my conference there hoping to have some relaxing time. I felt that it was the right choice the moment arriving at the gate. The view from my balcony of the double superior room was amazingly beautiful. The private beach was very lovely, even though the water was a bit cold back then I still went in for a swim. I then had these surprises by encountering the fish, sea anemones, huge sea cucumbers, and the sea urchins nearby the rocky bit of the beach (closer to the pool). I grabbed a sea urchin by using the seaweeds but still accidentally got stung when I slipped. I took it back to the room and got ready to dine in the restaurant and see if they could do anything with it. Then I was told the one I got was a male one so it's not tasty. Anyway the service was great and staff very friendly. The breakfast was good. HOWEVER....
I was very disappointed by the quality & taste of the food that evening at the restaurant. I had two seafood dishes and they were just mediocre and also lack of presentation. For me, they are maybe acceptable in a 4 star hotel (non sea bounded). The thing is, I happened to have some superb seafood dishes in an okay 4*Catania hotel restaurant (Hotel Villa del Bosco) the previous night.
Facilities: The view from the pool is beautiful but it's really small (less than 15m I think). I only had time to use the pool as the rest opens late and close early in May so didn't know what they were like.
Room: I would prefer the slippers in the room to be the comfy cotton ones instead of the hard bamboo huge man-sized flipflops. I found a hair on one of the bathrobe which was a bit gross when I opened the wardrobe.
All in all, it's a beautiful hotel with great views at every angle and staff very friendly. I've been thinking about returning this summer but the food at the restaurant is holding me back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With an exclusive location on the Bay of Mazzarò, considered one of the most beautiful in all of Italy, the elegant Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea nestles on its own private beach with new luxurious cabanas, facing the dazzling aquamarine sea. Built by an aristocratic family in 1830, surrounded by lush, subtropical gardens, the hotel retains all the charm of a private residence, enriched by paintings and antiques. The décor of the 64 rooms and suites reflects the nautical character and marine location of the hotel, with ample use of local stone and Sicilian materials and fabrics, creating a light, relaxed and serene atmosphere. The Oliviero Restaurant, on a panoramic terrace overlooking the gorgeous sea, is known for its fish and seafood specialties and traditional Mediterranean cuisine. The Bar, located on the outdoor terrace, is the perfect place to enjoy a drink, a snack or a light lunch by the beach. A Beach Bar and a Pool Bar in the new pool area are also available for a refreshing drink after a swim. Guests can benefit of the complimentary shuttle to the centre of Taormina, as well as the daily mini-cruise by private boat to explore the beauties of the coast (available during summer). The wellness centre offers a range of exclusive treatments for the ultimate of relax, while the fitness centre is fully equipped with the latest technology. The Smile Club with an English-speaking supervisor is available to entertain the younger guests with lots of fun and exciting activities. Guests at Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea can enjoy all the facilities of Belmond Grand Hotel Timeo, its sister property located in the centre of Taormina next to the Greek Theatre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Sant`Andrea By Orient-Express Hotel Mazzaro
- Hotel Sant Andrea
- Sant Andrea Hotel Taormina
- Sant'andrea Villa
- Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea Taormina, Sicily - Mazzaro