“Vivi & Didi do Sicily” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mazzaro
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Vivi & Didi do Sicily”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We arrived by car from Catania in the late evening. The room was cosy and quaint; I was pleased when I noticed Bulgari toiletries in the bathroom, but to me, it's the extra touches - like the small bottle of almond liqueur and some pretty almond cookies on a tiny plate - that differentiate a good hotel from an execllent one. I ordered a simple tuna salad from room service...it looked as great as it tasted.

The next morning I opened my windows and got blown away by the view - I was facing a giant postcard!! Nothing could go wrong after that: the breakfast buffet comprised a whole array of fresh and dried fruits, cheeses and cured meats. There was an amazing variety of cereals and yoghurt too.

It's not easy to upkeep an old property - not a single corner of this Villa looked worn, faded or tired. It was pristine, proud, shiny and tastefully decorated.

The staff were helpful and smiley. They were all very conversant in English (which I later discovered was NOT the norm for the rest of Sicily). Some days my friend and I kept them in conversation for long periods with our many queries on where to eat and what to do. They obliged with much charm and charisma - from Martin at the front desk to Fabio by the pool and Mario the PR manager...right to the GM himself!

I'm planning another trip back there as soon as I tick off some other destinations on my 'Bucket List'. Perhaps in August or September 2015.

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views. Ours with twin beds wasn't very large. Check actual size of you...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank VivLianahLee
GeneralManagerVSA, Direttore at Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful review and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea last August.

We can’t wait to open our gates again mid-April and we hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the close future.

Best wishes,

Giovanni Nastasi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Gladwyne, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Can't say enough of the premises and more importantly the staff. The staff is, bar none, TOP NOTCH. Example, my wife's family emigrated from Sicily to the US 3 generations ago. Mrs. Wife contacted her long lost relatives and the staff arranged a beautiful bouquet of flowers, desserts, and even printed directions to Caltanisetta for us. The thoughtfulness of the staff made for an incredible multi generational reunion.

Besides the above, I can honestly say that I'd prefer to come back to the Villa Sant'Andrea than any other hotel on the main land of Italy. Our trip took us to the Amalfi coast, and frankly, Sicily is my / our preferred destination.

Room Tip: Any room that overlooks the bay is wonderful.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Viren K
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripAdvisor following your stay with us and I am delighted to hear that you could not have been more pleased with your stay.

I am truly glad you enjoyed the staff who take great pride in the level of service they provide for our guests.

We certainly hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,

Bratenahl, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We recently returned from our second stay and it is the most enjoyable hotel we have ever visited. Accommodations, dining, service, location, entertainment, and view the best. It is the only hotel where we would rather dine-in then go out to a restaurant. And, Taormina has some great restaurants! What makes the Villa Sant' Andrea really special is the staff. Everyone in every part of the Villa wants to make sure your stay is wonderful. And finally, the evenings in the lounge with vocalist Carmelo Padelaro are great. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Sea view balcony room.
4 Thank Raymond N
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your stay at Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea.

It is always lovely to welcome back loyal guests and to hear that they have enjoyed ""accommodations, dining, service, location, entertainment, and view"!

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel that you are in love with.

With warmest wishes,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Just came back from a long weekend -I have been in very many places around the world , but this one is a class apart! Almost second to none. You can feel as you are on board your own private luxury yacht. The staff is unforgettable and we have promise them to come back once they will be reopened after the winter.

Room Tip: Go for the suites - it is worth every penny!
6 Thank YSF1307
Dear Guest,

We truly thank you for your kind feedback and are happy that you so much enjoyed your stay with us.

We are just about to open up our gates again for a new and exciting season 2014 and would be happy to welcoming you again in the close future.

In the meantime I send you my best regards,

Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

My husband and I have traveled all around the world and enjoy staying at 5 star hotels on our short vacation 'side trips' from business meetings. We rate the Villa Sant'Andrea as 10 stars! The hotel is newly renovated with marble throughout and breathtaking views of the sea. Our room (third floor) was immaculate! It was large with every accessory one could imagine. The patio area was phenomenal and it was as though we had an extended room! We enjoyed the sea breezes either laying out on our lounge chairs or sitting by the outdoor table. When we arrived there was a bottle of champagne and sugar-coated fruit as a welcome gift. We ordered half board so that breakfast and dinner were included. The food was incredible and healthy! Everything was included except the drinks. For breakfast, there was a wonderful buffet with an assortment of cheeses, meats, fish, yogurt and fresh fruit.The dinner menu was a gourmet delight! Each night we had appetizers (highly recommend the seafood salad--it was a meal in itself with the freshest seafood you can imagine), main entree and dessert. The menu offered specials every night-- I suggest going out of your comfort zone and ordering one of the chef's recommendations--you will not be sorry. Ooh la la--the dessert menu!! For entertainment, there was an exceptional piano player--he was so fun! He reminded me of Elton John--and had a voice as smooth as Frank Sinatra. Great dance music! The downside was the sand on the beach--ouch! need to wear some sort of foot covering. The water was as clean as could be with excellent visibility. As mentioned by others there is a free shuttle mercedes van to the sister hotel in the town of Taormina . It is a good 15 minute ride from one hotel to another--do not attempt to walk! We were able to dine at the 5 star sister hotel, but I think we were spoiled by dining by the sea. I cannot say enough positive things about this hotel. If you have the opportunity---stay here! We were here for 4 nights and loved it, loved it, loved it!!!

5 Thank Blynn B
Dear Guests,

I thank you for your words of praise regarding Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea.

We genuinely love to indulge all of our guests and I am truly pleased to hear that you have loved to stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Burwood East, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is a most wonderful hotel over looking the waters in a small bay. Fantastic service by all staff in all areas of the hotel. Very family orientated as we were a group of seven with three grand kids who just had the time of there lives. The food was great and menus used all local produce, the chef would go out of his way to cook to your desire of foods not on the menu. This was a wonderful finish to our tour of Europe and will have many fond and great memories of the staff , piano player singing to us, and breakfast in the rain over looking the magnificent beach of pebbles. I can only say again the staff, location and accommodation were all fantastic.

Room Tip: Ground floor for easy access to all amendies
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Glenn526
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found the hotel’s location "fantastic" and I am glad to learn that Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea has left a lasting impression with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

The hotel is situated on a small bay which makes it feel intimate and exclusive. The beach is not sand but shingle, which is not my favourite. The beach attendants are also very attentive. There is a section of boats for hire.

The Best thing about the Saint Andrea hotel is the staff. They are all so helpful and it is very well run property. is not a large property, so it feels quite cosy. The downside is the size of the bedrooms. They are all rather small and frankly at the prices charged you would expect larger rooms. We stayed in two different grades and both were small.

The food is extremely expensive and not particularly outstanding. It is good quality, large portions but something was missing to make the diner remember the meal. The waiting staff, however were excellent as was the local wine.

During the evenings, the guests were entertained by a pianist/ singer who was great and very happy to oblige guests with requests.

All in all a good break.

Room Tip: The more you spend the better the room. No magic there I'm afraid
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank 6woody7
Dear Guests,

I thank you very much for pointing out our "excellent" level of service all over the hotel. Indeed we genuinely love to pamper our guests and they can feel it. I have passed on your words of praise to my whole team in order to keep on providing such high standards.

It disappoints me that you were not able to appreciate the culinary experience at the restaurant. I have informed our chef and he will take in due consideration your comment for future guests.

We look forward to many other visits.

Best regards,

Giovanni Nastasi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mazzaro
Belmond Grand Hotel Timeo
San Domenico Palace Hotel
Grand Hotel Atlantis Bay
Grand Hotel Atlantis Bay
#31 of 88 in Taormina

Been to Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea? Share your experiences!