“came back 3 months later”

Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Came back 3 months later

We came here 3 months ago and have now just returned again
Came via British Airways in their club world cabin great as always and the guy next to us helped my wife with her cabin baggage. We met him again a few days later at the Sugar Cane only to find he was the MD of the hotel group and he like his staff was as courteous then as on the plane, so are 99% of his staff!

The hotel was this time with even less people than 3 months ago which meant on a few days it was waiter services at breakfast!
The Spa treatment and the manager with her staff were even better than last time, bliss....
The pool area, the grounds the rooms the front of house as well as the cooking staff and gardeners all 1st class. Puts lots of 5 star hotels to shame, and no we do not work for this hotel.
The 2nd restaurant which is only open on certain nights was just so laid back the cook and the waitress we had to ourselves as there was no one else booked in!!! 5 star services all the way, and the drinks so good. Try the crab.
The glass bottom boat with the general is a must do.

To the Duty Manager Peter, the MD of the SCC and all the staff of this very well run hotel thank you for such a warm welcome, a well run hotel and the best macaroni on the island of Barbados.
Photos attached.

9  Thank cllr
Write a ReviewReviews (1,199)

Reviewed 16 October 2012

This is definitely not a hotel for ravers. The fact that it is a short distance from the town and the beach really makes it the perfect ‘get-away from it all’ holiday.

My husband and me, and our two friends, were thrilled to be allocated semi-detached bungalows overlooking the gully. They are a real “forest” experience. In fact, we all felt we could live in them permanently.They are well-equipped and maintained, and our bed was unbelievably comfortable. Our friend has a back problem and housekeeping made several attempts to make his bed more comfortable but to no avail. After a few days he asked if he could have a mattress identical to ours which they installed the same day, and he had no more problems throughout the entire holiday.

The grounds are immaculate due to the hard work of the lovely gardeners, a couple of whom became our friends: hi Lavall (sorry, not sure how to spell your name) I hope you’ve still got my friend’s hair-tie in your cap, and thanks Rodney for the great gully walk and delicious coconut water. The entire pool area is equally immaculate and has tables with parasols as well as plenty of loungers. It is also a very relaxing place to sit for a night-cap and a chat after dinner. Most of the guests seem to disappear to their rooms at this time and it is so quiet that all you can hear is the sound of the tiny whistling frogs – it’s almost magical.

I had two visits to the spotlessly clean and peaceful spa. Thank you ladies for your very soothing attention. The gift shop is very well stocked, and this should be borne in mind when shopping in Speightstown as there is very little down there by way of souvenirs, although the town itself is a great place to visit with lots of clothes shops if you need anything extra.

The main restaurant and bar are cool and very pleasant with a magnificent view overlooking the pool area and gully right out to the sea. Sandy’s Chattel House down by the gully is also a great place to eat.

All the food at Sugar Cane is very good, but as many other visitors have commented, perhaps the menus could benefit from a more frequent change, especially for guests who, like us, are there for two weeks or possibly more. However, I can definitely recommend the creme brulee - oh yes! Buffet breakfast is excellent and with the exception of scrambled, the eggs and omelettes are cooked fresh to order.

The hotel runs a regular shuttle bus service to Speightstown and return. Just book your seats at reception and away you go. We also hired a Suzuki Jimny from Drive-A-Matic which we booked through the hotel at a very reasonable charge. We had it for three days and it was totally reliable. The hotel-run turtle trip is a must whether you swim with them or not. It was an experience I appreciated once I was back on board. The General who is in charge of the boat loves his job, he slows down over the coral to show you other interesting things and he just never stops smiling.

It's two weeks since we left and sorry I can't remember everybody's name, but there are a few members of staff I would like to say hello to: Neil the ever-smiling barman; lovely Debra (again, spelling???) in housekeeping; Michelle on reception – she was a great help in getting our boarding passes sorted; Roy the barman, thank you very much for the delicious Bajan seasoning, and a big smackeroo for Ryan. And what can I say about ‘Bo Jangles’ – not his real name, that’s McAlistair, but we liked to call him Bo – he’s a lovely waiter in the restaurant for whom nothing is too much trouble and always gives service with a big smile. To the lovely young ladies in the restaurant, please smile a bit more and show us just how beautiful you are... Last, but definitely not least, Peter, the manager, is an extremely welcoming gentleman who makes all his guests feel special: hi Peter, and the lovely lady who also works alongside you - so sorry, I'm useless at remembering names.

A big thank you to you all at Sugar Cane. The entire holiday in Barbados was wonderful and the more time that passes since I left, the more I wish I was still there. It was a dream that became reality.

Room Tip: The bungalows are brilliant but could be awkward to reach for anyone with walking difficulties.
5  Thank Anne C
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Me and the pretty little thing stayed here last year for Christmas and New Year in 2011/12. The hotel is about 5-10 minutes from the beach, but don't let that put you off - they'll take you down there.

The rooms are great and very private (except for the monkeys looking in). The pool is good and the food is good too - but do venture out even if you're all inclusive.

All in all a good stay.

Room Tip: They're all the same and very good
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank James M
Reviewed 10 October 2012

My wife and I visited the Sugar Cane Club last year by accident as we upgraded from a disappointing South coast hotel. It was the most enjoyable surprise as the hotel and its surroundings was beautiful. Our room/suite was spacious and enjoyed views over the rainforest-not much left in Barbados these days.

We liked the hotel so much that we are returning in January and can' wait.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Steve B
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Romantic, removed, lush, and beautiful. Don't go here expecting action - it's the opposite. And for the beginning of our honeymoon that's exactly what we needed.

Nearby Speightstown is a blast.

Only downside is that it's not on a beach. My recommendation would be to go here before you go to a hotel with a beach... I think it would be awfully tough to do it the other way around.

Rosita, the GM, is great.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank NYCviaMinnesota
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I had my vacation and wedding at the Sugar Cane Club last month, it was the most amazing experience! The property was absolutely gorgeous, and the staff went above and beyond to take care of any of our wants or needs. I have never felt more welcome at a resort, and I can't tell you how grateful I am for such an amazing stay.

I HIGHLY recommend getting married here. They made it absolutely stress free! The flowers were breath-taking and the cake was outstanding! I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. Rosita made it wonderful by sharing her birthday with our wedding day. It was a great day for celebrations!

The pool was perfect. The rooms were spotless. Even the soap smelled so good!

The food was extremely tasty, and my husband and I now love flying fish! We didn't get an inclusive package, but we did eat several times at the restaurant. Every meal was delicious! The bar was so much fun! I am a rum drinker, and I loved the drink creations that Roy and Shamira made.They both were extremely friendly and professional. Both Peters also brought smiles to our faces. Our shuttle driver gave us an awesome history tour on the way to get our marriage license, and I feel like I'm forgetting others that made our stay so lovely, so I apologize, I should have written this review as soon as I got home from the trip! Either way, the ENTIRE staff made us feel at home.

I usually save the best for last: Sade. She is one of the most remarkable, extraordinary people I have met in a very long time. You will see her running around the hotel doing just about anything to keep the guests happy. She has a lot of pride in her job, and it shows. I'm very much looking forward to seeing her and the rest of the crew at the Sugar Cane Club again. I honestly couldn't thank them enough for one of the best trips of my life. We will be back as soon as possible!

Room Tip: The penthouse? To die for. :)
4  Thank TravelingGrrlRock
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We visited the Sugar Cane in 2009, and always said it was a place we would go back to. In reality it is more a figure of speech for us as we like to go somewhere different and have never retuned to the same hotel before. However when searching for a holiday, we were so tempted when we saw a deal and knew that we would not be disappointed. I cannot fault this hotel in any way, it is a gem. The food is excellent and not to be compared to your usual run of the mill 'all inclusive'. Drinks are good quality. The setting is beautiful, you just feel so relaxed. The staff cannot do enough for you.

Even when we arrived, we were greeted with a old flannel and a glass of rum punch then we had a leak in our bathroom. We weren't worried as it was fixed within 20 minutes, but we were given a bottle of cava as a goodwill gesture, which was not expected but a very thoughtful touch. Along with the fact that on Saturday we were surprised by a beautiful bouquet of flowers and more Cava that was left in our room to mark our wedding anniversary, We were very touched by this.

All the staff are friendly and polite, as are most Barbadians. My only complaint is that I am so relaxed I just want to sleep all the time! Seriously everybody is in bed just after 9, most nights. Do not come here if you like wild nights and an animation team (my pet hate). The buffet nights around the pool have a lovely atmosphere and the setting is so picturesque.

I also had a massage whilst I was here, which was great, my only comment is that it was probably a little too gentle, maybe I am used to a deep tissue massage.

The pool is kept beautifully clean as is the whole resort. I can't honestly say I missed the beach too much, although it s breathtaking. Make sure you do the glass bottomed boat trip, which is free to all guests. This is great fun. Only minor comment to make is that last time drinks were provided on the boat, so we didn't take any water, and were very thirsty by the end. We also nearly missed it, not a huge deal, but everywhere it says it leaves at 1030 but on itinerary list it says 10am. Hotel were amazing and drive us down to meet the boat, so we joined them. So all was not lost!

We haven't gone home yet, but I already thinking how much I will miss it. Also you must have their vanilla ice cream, it is one of the reasons I came back! Make sure you bring mosquito repellent, they are quit rife.

There are lots of trips you can do, you can set your own pace, we have been very lazy and not done much this time. The weather has been fabulous. Book this or you will regret it, I promise! Don't tell too many people though, otherwise they will all want to come!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Hilton Barbados Resort
Hilton Barbados Resort
#2 of 6 in Bridgetown
Infinity on the Beach

Been to Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!